Anyone here change thier Colt 6450 9mm upper for RRA? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here change thier Colt 6450 9mm upper for RRA?

svtpwnz
11-13-2011, 07:12
I want to change out the stock upper on my Colt 6450 9mm AR for a flat top upper to mount optics on and install a rail system. Have any of you done so and if you have, what upper did you go with. It seems as though the Rock River 9mm A4 upper is the better choice with the deflector and dust cover already on. If anyone here did the swap, were there any issues that I should be concerned about? It seems pretty simple and straight forward as there is no gas tube to mess with. Thanks!

Rob

svtpwnz
12-11-2011, 13:50
I went ahead and ordered the RRA A4 flat top upper for it. I'll let everyone know how it goes as soon as it comes in. Next is the $200 stamp to sbr it.:cool:

faawrenchbndr
12-11-2011, 13:53
I've had great luck with RRA in the past!

Pics when you get it!

svtpwnz
12-11-2011, 14:06
I've had great luck with RRA in the past!

Pics when you get it!

You bet! My plans for it are sbr, suppress it, rail, and Eotech xps3 or Aimpoint t1

Landric
12-13-2011, 08:24
I have a 6450, but I think I am going to keep it as it is with the A1 upper. Colt is supposed to be changing the 6450 to a flat top, but as of yet, none was shown up for sale anywhere I have been able to find. I have a Compact ACOG on my 6450, and I like the fact that I can use the sights unobstructed by the ACOG, or use the ACOG. Here is how it looks now:

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c85/Landric/100_0463.jpg

I was originally planning on SBRing the Colt, but I have decided to keep it as is. I have a CMMG dedicated 9mm lower that I sent off for engraving last week. It is supposed to be delivered back to me by UPS today. Assuming it makes it all right before the post office closes, my paperwork will be going to the NFA Branch today to start the long wait to make the CMMG 9mm lower a SBR. I am planning on using a RRA flat top upper for that, and likely an Aimpoint and hopefully eventually a suppressor. So many tax stamps, so little money. I have had my first NFA item, a .22 suppressor, pending for more than three months now. I expect at least another month or two before it is approved.

svtpwnz
12-15-2011, 19:34
I have a 6450, but I think I am going to keep it as it is with the A1 upper. Colt is supposed to be changing the 6450 to a flat top, but as of yet, none was shown up for sale anywhere I have been able to find. I have a Compact ACOG on my 6450, and I like the fact that I can use the sights unobstructed by the ACOG, or use the ACOG. Here is how it looks now:

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c85/Landric/100_0401.jpg

I was originally planning on SBRing the Colt, but I have decided to keep it as is. I have a CMMG dedicated 9mm lower that I sent off for engraving last week. It is supposed to be delivered back to me by UPS today. Assuming it makes it all right before the post office closes, my paperwork will be going to the NFA Branch today to start the long wait to make the CMMG 9mm lower a SBR. I am planning on using a RRA flat top upper for that, and likely an Aimpoint and hopefully eventually a suppressor. So many tax stamps, so little money. I have had my first NFA item, a .22 suppressor, pending for more than three months now. I expect at least another month or two before it is approved.

Nice Colt! I thought quite a bit before deciding to sbr my 6450 and just said what the heck. I wish I would have held out a while longer to purchase mine because Grant at G&R is now selling them with the flat top uppers.:faint:

KalashniKEV
12-15-2011, 20:18
My 9mm upper is RRA.

I've never had a problem with it once I got my buffer weight up (5.4 oz). I run a VM-Hytech block.

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r220/Kalashnikev/Rifles/IMG_0897.jpg

Landric
12-16-2011, 19:36
My 9mm upper is RRA.

I've never had a problem with it once I got my buffer weight up (5.4 oz). I run a VM-Hytech block.

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r220/Kalashnikev/Rifles/IMG_0897.jpg

Nice looking rifle. My form 1 is in the mail to the NFA Branch as we speak, I am planning something similar to that on my CMMG dedicated 9mm lower. I also just purchased a Coastal Gun M.I.M.S. 9mm Subgun can for use on the SBR AR (and likely my Colt 6450 and the .300 Blackout bolt gun I am planning).

boomhower
12-17-2011, 05:14
You bet! My plans for it are sbr, suppress it, rail, and Eotech xps3 or Aimpoint t1

Go ahead and send them another check! A 9mm SBR just screams for a suppressor.

svtpwnz
12-17-2011, 07:09
Go ahead and send them another check! A 9mm SBR just screams for a suppressor.

Yes it does! Freakin $400 to the gobamet just to sbr/suppress my rifle.:steamed: I need to wait a little longer unfortunatly as funds just went to purchase the RRA A4 9mm upper for the Colt and more funds went to my DDM4 (UBR FDE stock, Tan SOCOM EoTech, Troy FDE BUIS, FDE MIAD grip) last week. :faint:

Landric
12-17-2011, 09:03
Yes it does! Freakin $400 to the gobamet just to sbr/suppress my rifle.:steamed: I need to wait a little longer unfortunatly as funds just went to purchase the RRA A4 9mm upper for the Colt and more funds went to my DDM4 (UBR FDE stock, Tan SOCOM EoTech, Troy FDE BUIS, FDE MIAD grip) last week. :faint:

I went the other direction. I sent the Form 1 for the SBR and bought the suppressor (it is in process of being form 3ed to my dealer). I figure I have at least 5 months of waiting until the SBR is approved and another month or two after that for the suppressor (since it has to make it to the dealer before I can submit a form 4 on it). That gives me time to find the money for a SBR 9mm upper.

svtpwnz
12-17-2011, 17:24
I went the other direction. I sent the Form 1 for the SBR and bought the suppressor (it is in process of being form 3ed to my dealer). I figure I have at least 5 months of waiting until the SBR is approved and another month or two after that for the suppressor (since it has to make it to the dealer before I can submit a form 4 on it). That gives me time to find the money for a SBR 9mm upper.

Yeah, I probably should have went that route too. Oh well, a few more weeks won't kill me. :crying:

svtpwnz
12-31-2011, 16:26
Well the RRA A4 flat top upper came in this morning and it looks great! It went right on without issue and now has a Aimpoint micro T1 mounted on top with a LaRue 660 mount. It looks fantastic and I am taking it to the range in the morning. I will let you all know how it runs!:cool:

svtpwnz
01-01-2012, 12:57
Well, I just got back from the range and am stoked to say the least. The Colt 6450 with the new RRA A4 upper ran great and chewed up handloads, Federal, and WWB without any issues. The Aimpoint is zeroed and looks fantastic on the upper. Now for the before and afters.........

http://i464.photobucket.com/albums/rr7/honkonthree/photobucket-1728-1324413066342.jpg

http://i464.photobucket.com/albums/rr7/honkonthree/photobucket-3354-1325439206076.jpg