Boresighter experiences [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Boresighter experiences

cciman
11-13-2011, 12:39
I want a boresighter for use on my ARs and AKs that have muzzle brakes. I want to be able to sight red dot and iron sight before going to the range.

What is a good one you have used? A laser that is actually centered?

My previous experience with a Bushnell arbor tip laser was terrible, You could see that the laser was not even physically centered in the tip of the device- and the point moved to a different spot each time you put it in.

HAIL CAESAR
11-13-2011, 14:44
None of the bore sighters are worth a plug nickle.

I usually get a big box and shoot one round at 25 yards. Then move the sights to the hole, minus sights over bore measurement. That gets you on the money at 50 and even a 100 for further fine tuning.

Clint-M
11-13-2011, 15:29
As stated, get on paper at 25 and work your way back to wherever you'd like to be sighted and zero it in.

CM

Jerry
11-13-2011, 15:40
After using a friends, I bought a Cabela’s. The one that slides in from the muzzle end with 4 plastic adaptors for different boar sizes. It gets me close enough. I put it in look through scope pull it out rotate it ¼ turn and repeat 4 or 5 times so I can pick an approximate center because the dot does move left to right and up and down about an inch or so at 25’.

Then I sight in at the range the way I always have. Target at 25’ usually 2 or 3 shots puts me close enough to go to 50 or 100 yards depending on caliber. Usually within 2” high, low, right or left.

I like how it’s advertised. Good for checking your sights at the hunting camp before a hunt. Only of you want to miss that 100 yard shot. I “might” trust it in and emergency for a 50 yard shot but probably not.

faawrenchbndr
11-13-2011, 15:41
I used a Bushnell model for about ten years! Was awesome!
It finally died, have not replaced it

bmoore
11-13-2011, 15:54
None of the bore sighters are worth a plug nickle.

I usually get a big box and shoot one round at 25 yards. Then move the sights to the hole, minus sights over bore measurement. That gets you on the money at 50 and even a 100 for further fine tuning.

Usually I agree with you, but you are not even on paper as far as this thread goes. OP- I use a Laserlyte boresite for my 22-250 and 243 hunting rifles, they are awesome. They come with different adapters for calibers and instructions. They help you move the crosshairs by the scope mounts before even touching windage knobs. Only fine adjustments are needed after a good boresite has been used. Following the instructions gets you zeroed in about 9 rounds. They work fantastic.

cowboy1964
11-13-2011, 16:14
I have a Sightmark laser boresight for my .223. Works well enough. It goes into the chamber, not on top of the barrel or anything goofy like that. Gets the initial shots to within a few inches of where it should be. It eats batteries though so stock up (the batteries are cheap).

MR. TWISTER
11-13-2011, 17:31
After bad results at the gunshop I work at with the laser we went back to the Bushnell with the grid and have had good feedback about the results. Unless you remove the muzzle Break/flash hider on an AR it can be very difficult to contact much of the barrel with the arbor resulting in a very poor bore sighting job.

Brandon

lawman800
11-13-2011, 23:30
Mine works perfectly as it should, bering me close to intended poi and I can dial in the rounds as needed at the range. Compared to me doing it without the boresighter, I would day it saved me quite a bit of rounds at the range and paid for itself.

Heck, with my m4gery, I put the eotech dot on the boresighter dot and took it to appleseed and put rounds on target at the simulated long range shots with no problems!

whitebread
11-14-2011, 08:03
I have used the Bushnell one for years and it always gets me within a couple minutes. Best $40 I could have spent.

Gunnut 45/454
11-14-2011, 09:05
I've never had one but when I bought my Sav 11 I had the shop mount and boresite my scope. So I went right to 50 yards when I shot it the first time, it was pretty close but I still had to put rounds down range so I really didn't see the benefit of doing it. Besides putting rounds down range is just more fun.:supergrin:

Jerry
11-14-2011, 10:54
I've never had one but when I bought my Sav 11 I had the shop mount and boresite my scope. So I went right to 50 yards when I shot it the first time, it was pretty close but I still had to put rounds down range so I really didn't see the benefit of doing it. Besides putting rounds down range is just more fun.:supergrin:

That’s pretty much what most of the slide in the muzzle lasers will get you. Just put a Sig red-dot on my new Sig 522. I sited at home with laser as I described in my other post. At the range, target at 25’ I took the bull’s eye out. Moved to 25 yards 1/2” right 1” high. Pretty darn good for government work. :supergrin: