Mike @ SwampFox [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Mike @ SwampFox

G29SF
11-13-2011, 17:38
Has anyone heard from mudrush lately? I have sent a few emails but haven't heard back from him. Don't know if he is having email issues or if he is just really busy. He normally responds to email though...

rcd567
11-13-2011, 20:56
Rumor is that one of his competitors hung him upside down by his ankles in his shop. But don't worry, his new hired man will be in tomorrow, find him and cut him down.
:tongueout:

I'm just bored and thought I'd add a little adventure into the ole 10 ring.

arushus
11-13-2011, 21:43
I was thinking the same thing...he has been absent lately

Sheepdog Scout
11-14-2011, 05:37
I exchanged a few emails with him. But, that was about two weeks ago.

rcd567
11-14-2011, 08:15
Sooo, maybe the rumor is true?:wow::shocked::wow:

G29SF
11-14-2011, 09:08
Rumor is that one of his competitors hung him upside down by his ankles in his shop. But don't worry, his new hired man will be in tomorrow, find him and cut him down.
:tongueout:

I'm just bored and thought I'd add a little adventure into the ole 10 ring.

mudrush posted that his new man didn't work out and did not start working for him.

I don't know if he is more busy than usual, however he has always answered email pretty quickly (day or two). I haven't heard from him in two weeks.

taxmann2
11-14-2011, 12:54
mudrush posted that his new man didn't work out and did not start working for him.

I don't know if he is more busy than usual, however he has always answered email pretty quickly (day or two). I haven't heard from him in two weeks.

I have emailed as well, with no response. I hope all is ok.

TreyG-20
11-14-2011, 13:02
He must be with 21carrier cooking up some new loads. I haven't seen him on here in awhile either

nickE10mm
11-15-2011, 17:20
I'm sure he's around somewhere.... people have lives outside of this forum, believe it or not. LOL.... (i guess I say this every time I have to take a hiatus of my own... hehe)

G29SF
11-15-2011, 17:49
I'm sure he's around somewhere.... people have lives outside of this forum, believe it or not. LOL.... (i guess I say this every time I have to take a hiatus of my own... hehe)

I was asking because I (a Swamp Fox customer) have been unable to get a hold of him through the normal channels. (Email, his website "contact us" page, etc.)

Not expecting him to live on this forum...

In other words, I was asking if anyone has been in contact with him lately as a customer and was able to get a hold of him.

nickE10mm
11-15-2011, 17:56
I was asking because I (a Swamp Fox customer) have been unable to get a hold of him through the normal channels. (Email, his website "contact us" page, etc.)

In other words, I was asking if anyone has been in contact with him lately as a customer and was able to get a hold of him.

Understood, 10/4

MinervaDoe
11-15-2011, 18:25

If you use the forum's "Search" feature, you can look him up by his username (mudrush) and see when his last post was.
Here ya' go (did it for ya')
http://glocktalk.com/forums/search.php?searchid=9143295

It looks like he was last here around 10/31/11.

dryfly
11-15-2011, 19:20
He probably went hunting...

peterj
11-15-2011, 21:42
I placed an order with him 3 weeks ago for several hundred dollars worth. Have not heard a word about my order other than "processed" and no response to e-mail.

He hasn't posted here for 2 weeks after being pretty regular and has admitted to having struggles with his business.

I'll give him another day to respond before I request a refund.

swinokur
11-16-2011, 05:54
Mike makes specific ammo in batches by type. He probably hasn't got to your batch yet. Mine took close to a month.but I knew his operating plan. read the web site.

If you need stuff in a hurry, this may not be acceptable

G29SF
11-16-2011, 08:26
I have ordered from him in the past and am familiar with the latency. What is troubling is the non-repsonse to email. In the past he always responded to give an order update.

My situation is a little unique and don't want to get into details. It is the lack of repsonse (over two weeks for me now) that is problematic.

My intent on this thread was not to see where he is on this forum. I get the whole search thing... but I am not looking for him here. My question was for those currently doing business with him... and if you were in contact with him. I don't want to air any dirty laundry. Was just trying to figure out if there was something that happend that would explain the "disappearance". At this point I don't know if his email is down, he had a family emergency, etc. Just don't know.

ColGlocker
11-16-2011, 10:03
Sure hope he is ok. Hopefully went hunting with his ammo. :super grin:

I just recently got my order, maybe three weeks ago. The stuff is hot.

arushus
11-16-2011, 10:30
Im leaning towards the whole hunting trip thing...that is about all that can explain it. Any other situation and he would have his blackberry with him that he uses to answer emails...

G29SF
11-16-2011, 11:46
Im leaning towards the whole hunting trip thing...that is about all that can explain it. Any other situation and he would have his blackberry with him that he uses to answer emails...

I never thought about hunting until you guys started mentioning it in this thread. (Which is really funny because I have been getting ready for deer season myself...) Makes sense. I hope that is the case.

Gotta be tough running a business by yourself and have some sort of life outside the business.

MinervaDoe
11-16-2011, 13:08
Gotta be tough running a business by yourself and have some sort of life outside the business.
From what I've seen of him on this forum, I believe that he is a very honest individual. I understand that from your perspective, it can be kind of scarey waiting to see if you will be given a date for your backorder to be delivered or some bad news on your credit card.
My suggestion is to have some faith in him and give it a little more time.
Besides, have you checked with your credit card company to see if he ran a charge yet? Most companies don't charge until a backorder is sent out.

dryfly
11-17-2011, 07:20
Any word yet? I need me some 200 grain shooting projectiles....

rcd567
11-17-2011, 07:42
Ohboyohboyohboy,
A real who-done-it Agatha Christie style. I'm betting the butler did it.:wow:

Seriously, hope he's hunting and everything is really OK.

glock20c10mm
11-19-2011, 23:06
What the heck?!? I disappear for a while, come back, and you guys lost Mike, aka Mr. Swamp Fox? Whose day was it to watch him anyway. This is bad, real bad...howmIgonna sleep tonight...Well I just hope for all our sakes the sun still rises in the morning! Okay, breath, just breath..........where did I leave that bottle of Jack anyway...this is not good. Seriously, he better be alright for all our sakes.:)

arushus
11-19-2011, 23:51
What the heck?!? I disappear for a while, come back, and you guys lost Mike, aka Mr. Swamp Fox? Whose day was it to watch him anyway. This is bad, real bad...howmIgonna sleep tonight...Well I just hope for all our sakes the sun still rises in the morning! Okay, breath, just breath..........where did I leave that bottle of Jack anyway...this is not good. Seriously, he better be alright for all our sakes.:)

haha!

We're sending out search parties in the morning...you dont happen to know how to fly a helicopter do you?

glock20c10mm
11-19-2011, 23:56
haha!

We're sending out search parties in the morning...you dont happen to know how to fly a helicopter do you?
They kicked me out of training during the classroom session. Don't know what the big deal was, I only asked if we could pretend land on the ocean waves.

arushus
11-20-2011, 00:00
They kicked me out of training during the classroom session. Don't know what the big deal was, I only asked if we could pretend land on the ocean waves.

haha, at least you were concerned with how to land...good thing you werent trying to just learn how to take off and how much fuel capacity it had...coulda raised some flags with homeland security!

glock20c10mm
11-20-2011, 00:01
haha, at least you were concerned with how to land...good thing you werent trying to just learn how to take off and how much fuel capacity it had...coulda raised some flags with homeland security!
:laughabove:

dryfly
11-20-2011, 15:28
Any word ? I need to place an order...

danattherock
11-20-2011, 18:38
If you are in need of some 200 gr hard cast and need it quick, go to the Double Tap site and order from Mike. Love that ammo myself and he ships quick. Hopefully Mike at Swampfox is just on vacation or out in the woods.

-Dan

G29SF
11-21-2011, 08:17
Any word ? I need to place an order...

Still no word. Been 21 days since I heard from him and over 50 days since I placed my order.

Testndoc
11-21-2011, 08:58
I placed an order with SF over 2 months ago. Last month he said it shipped, but returned to him because package was damaged. Haven't heard from in several weeks. I don't mind waiting for custom ammo, but let me know what is going on. Hopefully mike is ok. God Bless.

dryfly
11-21-2011, 09:16
Heck I hate to do it but I am placing an order with Midway this morning. Buffalo Bore 180grain jhp....avg energy is 705 and avg fps is 1327....Cant argue with those ballistics!

Goota say I really wanted Mikes 200gr xtp's though....

awdxtc
11-21-2011, 10:44
You would think that if he was going on an extended trip he would have something up on the website or here saying..."hey I'm going to be out of town for this long blah blah blah, orders placed before this date etc etc etc."

arushus
11-21-2011, 11:19
You would think that if he was going on an extended trip he would have something up on the website or here saying..."hey I'm going to be out of town for this long blah blah blah, orders placed before this date etc etc etc."

I agree...this is getting me worried something may be wrong.

abcomputin
11-21-2011, 11:51
I really hope this is a coincidence in names, but this person has the same first, middle, and last name and the same city. Got his full name from http://www.pooshka.com/view_bus_ad.php?poo_bus_id=12332

http://www.stoudenmiredowling.com/dowling/detailinfo.asp?intProdID=414

If it's not a coincidence, it is a sad day.

arushus
11-21-2011, 12:19
I really hope this is a coincidence in names, but this person has the same first, middle, and last name and the same city. Got his full name from http://www.pooshka.com/view_bus_ad.php?poo_bus_id=12332

Holy cow, Im REALLY hoping that is a coincidence, but it doesnt seem to be. I really cant believe that he may be dead, I sure hope not...it truly is a sad day if he is!

G29SF
11-21-2011, 12:19

I just called another contact number that I found on my credit card statement. (This is the number used for the merchant account for charging credit cards.) His brother answered the phone (I forgot to ask for his name) and verified that Mike had a heart attack.

This is a sad day indeed. My prayers go out to his family and friends.

His brother was very nice and said that Mike's business would be shut down.

It sounds like Mike kept track of a lot of things in his head and his family is trying to sort out all of his business dealings. Must be really difficult dealing with both the emotional loss and the business details...

I just knew something was wrong... knowing how we were in contact with each other via email... and then nothing...

Ken52789
11-21-2011, 12:21

Wow if this is true then surely he will be missed. I was going to order ammo from him once i got my new barrel. Prayers will be going out to the family regardless

arushus
11-21-2011, 12:25
I just called another contact number that I found on my credit card statement. (This is the number used for the merchant account for charging credit cards.) His brother answered the phone (I forgot to ask for his name) and verified that Mike had a heart attack.

This is a sad day indeed. My prayers go out to his family and friends.

His brother was very nice and said that Mike's business would be shut down.

It sounds like Mike kept track of a lot of things in his head and his family is trying to sort out all of his business dealings. Must be really difficult dealing with both the emotional loss and the business details...

I just knew something was wrong... knowing how we were in contact with each other via email... and then nothing...

So it is confirmed, this is awful! He was a young guy. Prayers and thoughts to his family...

TreyG-20
11-21-2011, 12:34
:sigh:Wow im speechless. This is terrible i wish his family the best

arushus
11-21-2011, 12:36
Maybe somebody should start a Mike Willard/Swampfox tribute thread here in the 10Ring? G29sf, you want the honor since u talked to his brother? Dunno if this is a good idea or not, at least we should spread the word so nobody bothers the family with trivial business stuff while theyre having to deal with this...

TreyG-20
11-21-2011, 12:39
Maybe somebody should start a Mike Willard/Swampfox tribute thread here in the 10Ring? G29sf, you want the honor since u talked to his brother? Dunno if this is a good idea or not, at least we should spread the word so nobody bothers the family with trivial business stuff while theyre having to deal with this...
i agree

dryfly
11-21-2011, 12:40
Salute and Shoot in tribute to Mudrush...a fellow 10ringer...and a damn fine ammo manufacturer...
And more importantly...Prayers to his family and friends...

Ken52789
11-21-2011, 12:43
Salute and Shoot in tribute to Mudrush...a fellow 10ringer...and a damn fine ammo manufacturer...
And more importantly...Prayers to his family and friends...

I will hopefully be shooting off my 10mm tonight!

G29SF
11-21-2011, 13:12

We appreciate your investigative skills in this matter. I don't know how long it would have taken for us to figure this out without your links.

arushus
11-21-2011, 13:31
We appreciate your investigative skills in this matter. I don't know how long it would have taken for us to figure this out without your links.

Very true, he did do some good investigating!

G29SF
11-21-2011, 13:40
I placed an order with SF over 2 months ago. Last month he said it shipped, but returned to him because package was damaged. Haven't heard from in several weeks. I don't mind waiting for custom ammo, but let me know what is going on. Hopefully mike is ok. God Bless.

This was the case with me also. I was hesitant to explain any details because I didn't not know the circumstances on why my order was delayed.

Due to Mike's passing, we all know why now.

I'm looking through my email now. I am going to detail what happend with my last order because it might help others who also have open orders.

On 09/30 I placed an order for 2 boxes of 200gr (1325 fps) XTPs and 2 boxes of 135gr (1700 fps) Noslers.

On 10/24 I got the familiar FedEx Shipment Notification (trackingupdates@fedex.com) email. The delivery date was 10/27, however I never received the ammo on that day. I checked the tracking again and noticed the page was not giving the normal "expected delivery date" information. (I was expecting an updated delivery date, pretty common if delivery was not made on the first expected date.)

On 10/24 I sent Mike an email asking if he knew anything about the shipment. He said FedEx was just slow in their tracking udpates, so to give it a few days. I said OK.

On 10/30 I received an email from Mike stating he had my package. FedEx sent it back all torn up. He said that he would inspect the ammo and re-ship in the morning. He also said that FedEx was going to credit him the shipping so he would pass that along to me.

On 10/31 I received an email from Mike stating he had to replace 100 rounds that had signs of damage and that he would ship in the next day(11/01)

On 11/01 I received an email from Mike stating that it looked like the package had fork-lift damage. When FedEx saw that it was ammo, they decided to return it rather than send it along to the customer. He said it happend to three packages in that group. He was also expressing concern that it made him look bad. I told him not to worry about it... I was happy that we knew what was going on.

That was the last I heard of Mike.

Again, thoughts and prayers to his family.

abcomputin
11-21-2011, 14:18

I just hate that that's what I found. I never had any dealings with him, no purchases or anything. I just know that from what everyone has said of him and his replies to people, if I had known him, he would have been a really good, honest friend.

glock20hunter
11-21-2011, 14:55
Wow, only 50years old. Sad indeedo

ModGlock17
11-21-2011, 15:55
I saluted Mike with 50 rounds of HEAVILY loaded 135gr today !

Thanks for your contribution to our world of enjoyment in 10mm fun.

Salute, Mike!

THE PUNISHER
11-21-2011, 17:24
A great one was lost....not many like him in this old world.

RIP Mike

glock20c10mm
11-21-2011, 20:01
Really at a loss for words here.:crying:

RIP William Michael Willard. We'll NEVER forget...:patriot:

taxmann2
11-22-2011, 07:20

Well, I'm glad someone was able to find out.

sgtbones
11-27-2011, 13:15
Sorry to here the news. MIKE will be missed by all. R.I.P.

notjustanothermini
11-27-2011, 15:01
oh man. the hell with not being able to get ammo now, him passing is far worse than guns being dry.

prayers with his family. i hope no one had pending orders paid and not processed.

wonder what they are doing with all the reloading equip. and load data note books.

i would be exstatic if they made copies of all the notes and sold them as a reloading manual for 10mm afficianado's

i know he blended powders for alot of his ammo loadings. it would be nice to have this info. kinda like a way for mike to live on forever in the chambers and mags of the 10mm cartridge he built his buisness with. legendary power, legendary performance, for the 10mm lover. that would be a great title for the load data publication, if they released it.

RIP Mike.

arushus
11-27-2011, 15:23
Ive heard that a lot of his load data he kept in his head...he couldnt have kept everything by memory though.

inspectorjj
11-27-2011, 16:09
Ive heard that a lot of his load data he kept in his head...he couldnt have kept everything by memory though.

Why don't you just crack open one of his shells, weigh it, inspect it, separate particles, ...;etc ? I still have 20 of his 200 gr. @1325fps. but I don't reload and wouldn't know what the hell I was looking at.

_The_Shadow
11-27-2011, 16:43
Mudrush from this forum or Mike, actually shared his LongShot data with us back in July around the 23rd of this year.

Went and found the thread...http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1357227 (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1357227) July 23rd!

Mike at SwampFox Ammo
200gr @ 1325 fps (XTP & FMJ)10gr LongShot 300cci primer. 1.250” col

21Carrier
11-27-2011, 21:04
Mudrush from this forum or Mike, actually shared his LongShot data with us back in July around the 23rd of this year.

Went and found the thread...http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1357227 (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1357227) July 23rd!

Mike at SwampFox Ammo
200gr @ 1325 fps (XTP & FMJ)10gr LongShot 300cci primer. 1.250” col

This is undeniable proof of how great a guy Mike was. Why would he give out load data?! He is helping others at his own cost. He very well could have just said, "Buy my ammo". But he didn't. He was a great guy.

BY THE WAY, that's a SMOKING load! I've never even pushed a 180gr bullet to 10.0gr of Longshot, much less a 200gr bullet. Be careful with that one!

_The_Shadow
11-27-2011, 22:03
Carrier, Mike knew that there were plenty enough people who didn't reload their own stuff to provide his business enough to work on. He also saw the value of having people/friends who shared the passion of the cartridge, the reloading and personal testing with feed back to make his products better and safer!

Yep, that is a potent load and the cautions need to be observed!

ModGlock17
11-28-2011, 07:34
Carrier, Mike knew that there were plenty enough people who didn't reload their own stuff to provide his business enough to work on. He also saw the value of having people/friends who shared the passion of the cartridge, the reloading and personal testing with feed back to make his products better and safer!

That's exactly my sense of Mike. He was a shrew bizman. When the prospective customers have access to pretty much the same technology as you do (ie. low barrier of entry), your best path is to have patience and collaborate with them. In return, they will come to you for things they can get from elsewhere. Then you have a strong following with a strong brand name.

I would have readily move all my purchasing activities from places like Midway, etc. to SwampFox if he had carried those products.

I asked him the process of getting federally approved to mfg ammo and he laid it all out, freely. The truth is that I can easily find that out myself, and I think he knows that. It was best to build relationship. He did. The other truth is that it's unlikely I would get into that.

crsuribe
11-29-2011, 09:48
Holy crap. This is really bad news to me. I always did my best to support his business and everything he did because he was a great guy and I felt that the 10mm community really needed someone like him.

R.I.P Mike Willard

He will most definitely be missed!

taxmann2
12-01-2011, 20:00
oh man. the hell with not being able to get ammo now, him passing is far worse than guns being dry.

prayers with his family. i hope no one had pending orders paid and not processed.

wonder what they are doing with all the reloading equip. and load data note books.

i would be exstatic if they made copies of all the notes and sold them as a reloading manual for 10mm afficianado's

i know he blended powders for alot of his ammo loadings. it would be nice to have this info. kinda like a way for mike to live on forever in the chambers and mags of the 10mm cartridge he built his buisness with. legendary power, legendary performance, for the 10mm lover. that would be a great title for the load data publication, if they released it.

RIP Mike.

I happen to be one that had a pending order. I sent a check, which he deposited on the 24th of October. I never received my order. It makes it difficult, because I would like my money back or some of the ammo that is left. I have contact info for his brother, but I am hesitant to call him and mention it.

Testndoc
12-01-2011, 20:36
I happen to be one that had a pending order. I sent a check, which he deposited on the 24th of October. I never received my order. It makes it difficult, because I would like my money back or some of the ammo that is left. I have contact info for his brother, but I am hesitant to call him and mention it.

I am in the same boat.....:crying:

ModGlock17
12-01-2011, 20:42
I am in the same boat.....:crying:

I'd give them some time to sort things out.

inspectorjj
12-02-2011, 13:15
I guess I got lucky. I paid with credit cards. I just called them and explained the situation. They checked it out to make sure it was true and credited my account.

Glockz0r
12-02-2011, 13:36
Its a shame I never got to fire a round of SwampFox before his passing. I hope he rests easy knowing how much people enjoyed his product.

BigLaw
12-02-2011, 20:24
I had an order in using my debit card. I'm just going to let it go. I don't want to bother his family over $62

inspectorjj
12-02-2011, 21:25
I had an order in using my debit card. I'm just going to let it go. I don't want to bother his family over $62

I totally agree for $62. Mine however, was over $300 and I was definetly not in the position over the last month or so to let it go. I needed the money so bad that I actually tried to cancel the order before I found out that Mike had passed.

arushus
12-03-2011, 02:10
I cant believe the website is still up and taking orders...

the iceman
12-03-2011, 14:13
Damn. This makes me very sad to find this out. Like others here, I thought Mike was a terrific guy and his ammo was second to none.

I have about 20 rounds left and I was going to place an order this week.

May you rest in peace Mike.

BigLaw
12-03-2011, 18:11
I totally agree for $62. Mine however, was over $300 and I was definetly not in the position over the last month or so to let it go. I needed the money so bad that I actually tried to cancel the order before I found out that Mike had passed.

Oh man that sucks. I totally understand that. Big difference in 62 and 300.

taxmann2
12-03-2011, 19:15
If you paid with debit or check, about the only thing you can do now is write a letter and mail it to the address. I assume he had a spouse/relative that can look into it. This is the only option I have at this point.

attrapereves
12-03-2011, 19:16
I'm surprised his website is still up...

ignantmike
12-03-2011, 19:44
well, if he did die from a heart attack.....atleast it was quick.....

inspectorjj
12-03-2011, 20:13
If you paid with debit or check, about the only thing you can do now is write a letter and mail it to the address. I assume he had a spouse/relative that can look into it. This is the only option I have at this point.

Call your bank, part of mine was on debit. They credited my account in two days once they confirmed what had happened. I told them the whole story and they had no problems with it at all.

taxmann2
12-06-2011, 18:40
Call your bank, part of mine was on debit. They credited my account in two days once they confirmed what had happened. I told them the whole story and they had no problems with it at all.

I called my bank, Suntrust. They told me they would do nothing about it. I might go down to a branch. How could they verify the story? How can they get the money back from the other bank?

inspectorjj
12-06-2011, 19:10
I called my bank, Suntrust. They told me they would do nothing about it. I might go down to a branch. How could they verify the story? How can they get the money back from the other bank?

The newspaper article will verify the story. You did not get your product. Them getting the funds from the other parties is their problem, not yours. It is business, no more. If you are not getting these benefits, it might be time to change banks. I use Chase. I was not questioned. While I feel for Mike's family, their settlement or insurance from this unfortunate incident is not my business. I, by no means, am rich to the point of donating money because I made a legitimate order to which I should just chalk it up to $%@# happens.

BlueMax_VMF114
12-10-2011, 19:22
Wow this is sad i went offline for a few months and come back to see this I have 4 boxes of mikes 10mm ammo and have not fired a round out of them.I will keep these as a memory to the SWAMP FOX!! RIP bro see you on the flip side!!

Blitzo
12-10-2011, 20:02
Dang just finished reading this. Did some business with Mike a few months back. Great experience and great ammo. I will be doing a 50 round 10mm salute on Tuesday.

RIP Mike

the iceman
12-10-2011, 20:37
I wish I had a box or two. I have about 22 rounds left. Anyone want to sell a box?

Noobiwan
12-11-2011, 04:36
This is my first post here. Normally I just browse glocktalk and its unlimited information, but the loss of a respected individual in our community, I must offer my condolences. A good man, an honest man, evident in the way he ran his business. May his spirit live on through our memories of him, and his nuclear 10mm ammo!
R.I.P. Mike. You will not be forgotten, SwampFox!

Pointshoot
12-15-2011, 17:15
This is sad news. I found out about Mike's ammo from this forum for the first time March of this year. I know he'd been working very hard struggling to keep his ammo business going. I was impressed about how open he was about the whole matter of the ka-boom with certain of his loads in particular guns. I wanted to support him as a small specialized ammo manufacturer so had ordered several hundred dollars worth of ammo as of Oct. I'd expected to place several new orders before years end. - - Orders usually took quite awhile to arrive, but today - after a couple months, I thought I'd email him and then check here at the 10 Ring. My last order was for $116 and was by credit card, so getting a refund will be no problem. I'm just saddened to hear of the loss of one of the good guys.