Beye or Unique in 45 GAP? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Beye or Unique in 45 GAP?

Chuckc
11-13-2011, 20:35
Anyone had experience with Beye or Unique in 45 GAP?? 200 grain plated bullets with CCI or Fed. primers.
I know that some have had good luck with Tighgroup, or other similar powders but I happen to have quite a bit of Beye, Unique, and AA#5 on hand.
Any experience appreciated.

Steve Koski
11-13-2011, 22:48
I loaded some for a buddy with Unique. They worked great. Never tried the other powders, so I don't know if they'd be any better.

dbarry
11-15-2011, 21:56
I like bullseye in the gap. got several loads listed here: http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1150708

Chuckc
11-17-2011, 11:13
Thanks a bunch for the link to the earlier thread on GAP loads. It had a lot of good info.
Thank You

halfmoonclip
11-17-2011, 11:56
I don't have a .45 GAP, but I do have lots of experience with Unique. It's burn rate is really useful, but it does not meter well.
I was forever adjusting the powder measure (powder measures, actually, both a Dillon and a Lyman) with a 9mm load that I really liked. The big, flaked powder must pack in a really odd way; I was forever chasing weight with adjustments.
Moon

Chuckc
11-17-2011, 16:22
I have also had some frustrations with unique. That was one reason I tried AA #5. It has a burn rate in the same ballpark as unique, and of course it meters about like bullseye.
I am using bullseye almost exclusively in my 9mm Glocks. (4.2 gr. under a 124 grain bullet, mixed brass) Gets out the muzzle around 1050 fps.
I load most all my stuff on Dilllon presses so I would hate to try to use a different powder measure.
Guess one of these days I will have to try some of the more "modern" powders.

WiskyT
11-17-2011, 16:41
Some good general advice regarding your choice: If you want light loads, use Bullseye. If you want medium to full loads, use Unique. I don't load GAP, but that has been the case with the other calibers I load.

PsychoKnight
11-19-2011, 16:22
For Unique, its especially important to have a baffle installed in your powder measure. Web search for "rcbs powder baffle." Its just a v-shaped piece of sheet metal with notches cut out to let the powder flow through. Real easy to make on yourself from scrap sheet metal, aluminum soda can, or even the rubbery lid from confectionary or toothpick containers. If you take the weight off the column of powder, the cavity filling process during cycling is more consistent.

halfmoonclip
11-19-2011, 17:45
P-knight, good advice, but it didn't solve my problems with Unique. Current press is a Dillon with a built in baffle, and I still had the 'chasing weight' problem; had to check frequently, which is something to avoid on a progressive press when you want to make ammo a bit faster.
Moon

PsychoKnight
11-21-2011, 07:10
Probably the reason Unique sees very modest sales despite the excellent burn characteristics - just don't meter well.

Far shot - but some loaders have noticed static cling in the measures with fluffier flake powders. They disassembled the measure and rubbed small strips of clothes dryer sheets on all the powder-contact parts. (Then they throw the used dryer sheets into the brass tumbler as dust control.)

Don't know what else to say, except (and as a Dillon user you'll probably hate me for saying this) that I had more acceptable results using Unique with the Lee Auto Measure (both the pro and regular versions) than I did with my Lyman, RCBS, and Hornady measures. I don't know if the plastic metering cavities of the Lee have anything to do with it, but that's the only difference I see betwen the 4 measures.

I don't have the Lee stuff anymore but I bet somebody here might send you a Lee Auto Measure w/ a .45 expander to try out. If it works, its cheap enough as a single-caliber dedicated measure. If your point was to just use up the Unique and you don't plan on buying anymore, buying a measure just for Unique wouldn't be worth it (maybe get a loaner to crank'em out all at once, if you have enough brass).
Otherwise, just use moderate loads for plinking and burn it up.

F106 Fan
11-21-2011, 08:53
(Then they throw the used dryer sheets into the brass tumbler as dust control.)

If I just pay attention, I can learn something every day. Thanks!

Richard

halfmoonclip
11-21-2011, 08:57
I think PapaKilo has a lot of it figured out. I've tried spraying the inside of powder measures with Static Guard, and it seems to help a little with powder cling (wipe it down and make sure it's stone dry before using, obviously; the dryer sheets may be a safer option).

The burn rate with Unique is really quite useful, and a buddy gifted me with the 6.0/115 for 9MM, which clocked 1271/sd16/es57 for warshots. It is a hot load despite not being max, and it beats in headstamps (and blew the locking block out of a late war Walther). But I was always chasing weight, and as hot as it was, I hated to crowd the envelope.

As long as the OP can live with some variation, and keeps the load levels well below max, it may not be too big a deal. How hot is the .45 GAP? Is it like a .40 S&W, running pretty much WFO all the time?
Moon

Chuckc
11-21-2011, 12:37
As long as the OP can live with some variation, and keeps the load levels well below max, it may not be too big a deal. How hot is the .45 GAP? Is it like a .40 S&W, running pretty much WFO all the time?
Moon

Fortunately the 45 GAP has great latitude so far as loading is concerned. I posted some comments in the General Glocking forum yesterday regarding my range trip with new G38. Loads using Beye, AA#5, Unique, all the way from 700fps to 990 fps with 200gr plated RN worked good. No failures to operate the gun within that wide range. So, you can select a "reasonable" load with acceptable recoil for competition, or load "hot" for SD if desired.
I'm going to use up the 4 - 5 lbs of Unique I have left in my 38 special and maybe some GAP loads and then I will focus on powders that meter through my Dillon measures consistently. Guess I should try some Titegroup as others report good luck with it in the GAP.

WiskyT
11-21-2011, 13:20
Probably the reason Unique sees very modest sales despite the excellent burn characteristics - just don't meter well.

Far shot - but some loaders have noticed static cling in the measures with fluffier flake powders. They disassembled the measure and rubbed small strips of clothes dryer sheets on all the powder-contact parts. (Then they throw the used dryer sheets into the brass tumbler as dust control.)

Don't know what else to say, except (and as a Dillon user you'll probably hate me for saying this) that I had more acceptable results using Unique with the Lee Auto Measure (both the pro and regular versions) than I did with my Lyman, RCBS, and Hornady measures. I don't know if the plastic metering cavities of the Lee have anything to do with it, but that's the only difference I see betwen the 4 measures.

I don't have the Lee stuff anymore but I bet somebody here might send you a Lee Auto Measure w/ a .45 expander to try out. If it works, its cheap enough as a single-caliber dedicated measure. If your point was to just use up the Unique and you don't plan on buying anymore, buying a measure just for Unique wouldn't be worth it (maybe get a loaner to crank'em out all at once, if you have enough brass).
Otherwise, just use moderate loads for plinking and burn it up.

I think it has high sales. People like me buy it in 4 or 8 pound jugs. Most of the guys in my club use it. The reason the race guys don't use it is because they are always chasing the latest thing or doing what the other guy does. TG offers nothing over Bullseye, yet you'll never see BE mentioned on a IPSC website.

halfmoonclip
11-21-2011, 18:28
If they ever eliminate B'eye, I'm screwed. Cheap to use, meters well, and is great for less than WFO loads. I'd prefer to use Unique if it metered better, but it is what it is.
Bet I burn a pound of B'eye every year, and that's a good bit of shooting.
Moon

PsychoKnight
11-27-2011, 20:56
If I just pay attention, I can learn something every day. Thanks!

Richard

Your welcome - but I'm not a fan of the dryer sheet club. I think its dorky and ineffective.

Speaking of fans, that's what I use. I run the tumbler w/ the top removed, in the backyard. I hang a smallish fan over the tumbler so that it blows straight down into the bowl and continually blows out the dust into the environment, which is now enriched w/ burnt powder and primer residue - great fertilizer. From the earth, so returns to the earth. (Little more complicated with spent nuclear fuel).