16" Light Weight Upper? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 16" Light Weight Upper?

M&P Shooter
11-13-2011, 21:38
What's the difference in durability between a standard AR upper and a light weight upper? Also are light weight uppers limited to what ammo you can use? If these are stupid questions forgive me but I am brand new to AR's and don't want to throw money in the trash.

crazymoose
11-13-2011, 22:51
A lightweight upper will fail on sustained auto fire before a heavier barrel. Also, they don't work as well as pry bars. Beyond that, no difference, and no ammo limitations beyond normal twist rate and bullet weight considerations. Bottom line: they weigh less, they get hot faster, and they cool down faster.

TedG
11-13-2011, 22:55
A lightweight upper will fail on sustained auto fire before a heavier barrel. Also, they don't work as well as pry bars. Beyond that, no difference, and no ammo limitations beyond normal twist rate and bullet weight considerations. Bottom line: they weigh less, they get hot faster, and they cool down faster.

What he said. Plus the weight savings is multiplied by the distance you have to carry it.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i90/TedG954/KISSCarbine1.jpg

HAIL CAESAR
11-14-2011, 17:25

Great answer.:wavey:

HAIL CAESAR
11-14-2011, 17:28
Oh, and with a LW barrel the groups will open up a bit as the barrel heats up. And the LW barrel heats up faster so groups open faster than a heavy barrel. But a LW barrel isn't really made to be a tack driver for a guy with a fast finger.

faawrenchbndr
11-14-2011, 18:18
Lots of good info in this one,.......:wavey:

samuse
11-14-2011, 19:32
I've had a couple of lightweight barrels (Noveske 14.5" & BCM 16", both middys) and they do everything a semi-auto AR could be expected to do outside of SPR, DMR, RECCE, SOF or varmint type applications.

I never noticed any POI shift but I never put 'em on a bench and ran 100 rounds to measure groups.

Go with the LW if you think you'd enjoy it more, there are not any downsides unless you are looking for precision or sustained full auto fire.

BlackPaladin
11-15-2011, 11:32
I don't think I would do another non-lightweight, pinned 14.5" again after my last build.

jobob
11-20-2011, 22:14
I have a Bushy lightweight carbine upper on a Cavarms lower that is a great little gun. It doesn't want to shoot the tight groups that my rifles with heavier barrels shoot, but I didn't get it to drive tacks. I don't know if it's lower accuracy level is because of the lw barrel or some other factor, but I don't particularly care. It's reliable and has enough accuracy to get the job done.

boomhower
11-22-2011, 01:40
Non stainless barrels aren't made to be tack drivers. A LW barrel will retain minute of man accuracy for any engagement your going to get into unless you plan on taking it to the sandbox.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine