Suggestions on 9mm SD loads? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions on 9mm SD loads?

Brucev
11-14-2011, 07:48
Early last week I saw a nice Beretta 92FS in a local bait and tackle shop. On Friday I bought it. From what I can tell, it's probably was used as a law enforcement duty weapon... some wear on the finish but no sign of having been fire a great deal. I figure for practice I'll just use whatever is available at Wal-Mart, or else on line. However, I'd rather not dump a pile of money experimenting with the flavor of the day in various SD loads. I would appreciate suggestions, etc. of what are the generally recognized top-drawer loads. Links to where suggested loads can be ordered would be appreciated. Sincerely. brucev.

OctoberRust
11-14-2011, 08:58
gold dot 124+p

beancounter81
11-14-2011, 10:02
gold dot 124+p
^^^^
This.

kmrcstintn
11-14-2011, 10:14
I have owned several Beretta 92's on and off over the last several years; my current one is an Italian manufactured Inox that has been with me for @ 2 years; the good news is that the Beretta can feed & function with almost everything as far a 9mm parabellum loads go; you are correct that there are alot of different brands, styles, and weights of hollowpoint loads available; what I offer is not a COMPLETE list of what I have shot thru my 92's , but should give you an idea of what to look at:

Speer Gold Dot 115gr, 124gr, 124gr +p, 147gr
Hornady XTP 115gr, 124gr, 147gr
Federal HydraShok 124gr, 147gr, 135gr (reduced recoil load)
Remington Golden Sabre 124gr, 124gr +p, 147gr
Winchester WWB 115gr, 147gr
Remington UMC 115gr
Hornady Critical Defense 115gr
Federal (white box) contract overrun 147gr

the current loads I have in are Federal (white box) contract overrun 147gr; Speer Gold Dot 147gr; Hornady Critical Defense 115gr; the longer barrel of the Beretta should allow the 147gr loads to get more velocity due to the longer powder burn and hence promote expansion

RMD
11-14-2011, 14:38
gold dot 124+p

+2 ^^

Providence
11-14-2011, 14:58
gold dot 124+p+me too! :supergrin:

fiasconva
11-14-2011, 15:57
Gold dots or Golden Saber. Both have excellent track records. Go up to the GATE section and read the Self Defense expert's advise too.

ilmonster
11-14-2011, 16:30
Mas Ayoob is also a big fan of the Speer GD 124+P out of a 9mm barrel based on actual shootings. See his comments in the GATE Self Defense forum.

JBP55
11-14-2011, 17:04
HST, Gold Dot, Ranger T in 124+P.

barth
11-14-2011, 18:12
http://cdn4.gunsforsale.com/media/catalog/product/cache/3/image/5c6e3d4ad9ca995de50d6ebefb3bcec7/9/m/9mmp124jhpsgd-0.jpg

ABNAK
11-14-2011, 19:58
Federal 147gr HST +P

collim1
11-14-2011, 20:04
Gold Dot 147g for me in my 9mm's.

The Beretta 92 has a long tube, I prefer standard velocity rounds out of it. IMO no need for +p.

--bullseye--
11-15-2011, 00:10
All of these have been shown to meet the FBI minimum of 12" in calibrated ballistics gel:

Barnes XPB 115gr HP (35515) loaded by Cor-Bon (DPX09115)
Winchester Partition Gold 124gr JHP (RA91P)
Winchester Ranger-T 124 gr +P JHP (RA9124TP)
Winchester Ranger-T 127gr JHP +P+ (RA9TA)
Winchester Ranger-T 147gr JHP (RA9T)
Winchester Bonded 147gr JHP (RA9B/Q4364)
Speer Gold Dot 124gr JHP +P (53617)
Speer Gold Dot 147gr JHP (53619)
Remington Golden Saber 147gr JHP (GS9MMC)
Federal Tactical 124gr JHP (LE9T1)
Federal Tactical 135gr JHP +P (LE9T5)
Federal HST 147gr JHP (P9HST2)

I have some Gold Dot 147 grain ammo, and I think I prefer that. I got a decent deal on a case of 147 grain Ranger (RA9T) so I'm carrying that currently. Six of one, half dozen of another really.

CanyonMan
11-15-2011, 01:20
Early last week I saw a nice Beretta 92FS in a local bait and tackle shop. On Friday I bought it. From what I can tell, it's probably was used as a law enforcement duty weapon... some wear on the finish but no sign of having been fire a great deal. I figure for practice I'll just use whatever is available at Wal-Mart, or else on line. However, I'd rather not dump a pile of money experimenting with the flavor of the day in various SD loads. I would appreciate suggestions, etc. of what are the generally recognized top-drawer loads. Links to where suggested loads can be ordered would be appreciated. Sincerely. brucev.

Brucev,

In the testing we ran here on the long gone "furniture bullet penetration thread," plus other test that were NOT documented "here", etc... Here is what I have found for the 9mm and the 45acp in "factory loads." Amigo, I carry a 45, but when I do throw on the 9mm G19, I have 100% confidence in the Hornady 147gr XTP TAP. Also the 124gr TAP. http://www.hornady.com/store/9mm-Luger-147-HP-XTP-FPD/

Also the speer Gold Dot in 147gr, 'and' the 124gr +P. http://www.speer-ammo.com/ballistics/ammo.aspx

And lastly, the WW PDX1 in 147gr. http://www.winchester.com/Products/handgun-ammunition/supreme-elite/bonded-pdx1/Pages/S9MMPDB1.aspx

We could spend 100 pages on here on the hate or love for the 147gr JHP's, but all I can say is I want 14" minimum penetration, and all these will give that. They all work very well Bruce in various barriers, and metal and auto glass. (ya never know what you'll face)

I'm not telling you what to do, but I am telling you that from all I have seen, these are really top notch loads. The XTP is a very deep penetrating bullet, even the 124gr +P is fine. The GD did real well in most all our testing, and the WW PDX1 is a very fine bullet, again, with deep penetration. (btw, the bonded bullets did the best)

As you already know, when in a SD situation, you may have to shoot through an up raised arm or an oblique (sp) angle, and what if the felon is a 250/300 # hard muscle dude with a heavy leather jacket on. You got to get through all this, and bone and muscle, and solid and hollow organs...

Man, In any caliber I want something that penetrat'es and has the best chance' to plow through and get to the vitals. Screw the jello blocks. That is indeed a fine standard 'to start with' in a test as long as we "know" the bullet 'will not' look like this in the real world, all pretty and opened up like a star fish. :whistling:

But what does as well as we can expect or hope for through all manner of various barriers and bone and heavy clothes, etc, and if it opens a bit fine.. Most all JHP's clog any way and act like ball a good deal of the time, and the rapid expanders are worthless IMO, and i would not carry them just because they look great in jello, and 'not' the red plastic ballistic tip way over hyped stuff either. NONE of these have faired well in media testing with a slew of different angels and materials. (barriers)

You ask a serious question, and I am trying to give ya a serious answer to a ton of testing. We do not have to be rocket scientist to have the common sense to dream up a cajillion ways to test a bullet we may have to depend our life upon.

Bottom line, "for me," these I have shared with you are real winners.

If I do not carry my own hand loads (and I usually always do) I carry these I have listed for you in 9mm and in 45acp, my EDC when in town.

No magic bullet as you well know. But I have landed on these 3, as far as "factory fodder goes," for my use and have 100% confidence in them in the 9mm and the 45acp as well.

Well back pain meds will allow you to wire up and type away ! haha.

So, I'll bail at this point.

HTH's Amigo. Do not be turned off by the 147 gr'ers. They do have the ability to get where they need to go.... That, is what I want to count on. Test, test, test, and do it with the very worst case senerio's on trial, then keep the best two or three, along with what street results can be found as well, and go for it..

Stay safe, and keep your back in good shape ! Ha !

CM

Brucev
11-15-2011, 07:57
Very much appreciate the information. I don't plan on carrying the 92 except to the range and in the woods. However, I do think it will also find a place at home for a HD pistol. Took it out yesterday and ran some FMJ's through it... Wolf (I know, I know) and Federal. In every way the 92 was flawless. Shot at a worn out harrow blade spray painted flat white. Aimed at the axle hole. First round at 15 yds., when through the hole. Surprise! Next four were inside 1.5 inches total. Very pleased. It's not a new pistol. Has carry wear. But the internal surfaces don't show abuse, etc. The screws on the grips show no sign of ever being turned. And the simple fact of the matter is that it handles very well. I like it. Well worth the money. I'll be shopping for HD ammo in the next few days and will be using the above information as a guide. Again, very much appreciate the thoughtful responses. Sincerely. brucev.

CanyonMan
11-15-2011, 08:05
Very much appreciate the information. I don't plan on carrying the 92 except to the range and in the woods. However, I do think it will also find a place at home for a HD pistol. Took it out yesterday and ran some FMJ's through it... Wolf (I know, I know) and Federal. In every way the 92 was flawless. Shot at a worn out harrow blade spray painted flat white. Aimed at the axle hole. First round at 15 yds., when through the hole. Surprise! Next four were inside 1.5 inches total. Very pleased. It's not a new pistol. Has carry wear. But the internal surfaces don't show abuse, etc. The screws on the grips show no sign of ever being turned. And the simple fact of the matter is that it handles very well. I like it. Well worth the money. I'll be shopping for HD ammo in the next few days and will be using the above information as a guide. Again, very much appreciate the thoughtful responses. Sincerely. brucev.

Hey man sounds good to me. Harrow blades and other assorted 'painted' equipment in the junk pile make for a pretty sound ! Ping...

The way you describe it all, sounds like ya got a good one on the 92, so just load up and have fun with it amigo... ;)

Stay safe !

CM

AWESOMO 4000
11-15-2011, 22:13
For punching holes in paper, any 115gr or 124gr FMJ works well. Federal's standard pressure 115gr 9BP has always been literally match-grade accurate out of my 92.

For SD, don't sell short some of the older proven rounds in 9mm - i.e., 115gr +P+ Federal 9BPLE and CorBon 115gr +P. Two of the most proven and effective 9mm rounds with a 25-30 year track record.

Bonded ammo is all the rage, hard to beat the NYPD load - 124gr +P Gold Dot as others have said. The 127gr +P+ Winchester Ranger T is at the top as well.

Also, kind of ammo related, the newer factory 17rd M92A1 magazines will work in yours as well as the 18rd Mec-Gar magazines with the anti-sand coating on them. Mine have been flawless.

unit1069
11-16-2011, 19:34
For punching holes in paper, any 115gr or 124gr FMJ works well.

I agree, although I stay away from steel case ammo.

I buy the cheapest brass FMJ ammo I can find, and recently I picked up some MagTech 115-grain FMJ at a good price. It shot very well and although I only fired about 25 rounds the inside of the pistol was so clean I decided to scrub and oil the barrel only. I'd never shot any MagTech until this last outing and I much prefer it over WWB, but the fact is just about every ammo is preferable to WWB unless it's noticeably more expensive.

The Remington green/white box range ammo is the only one I like less than WWB and that's because it leaves so much residue it looks like the muzzle of my pistols got spray painted a grey color.

j-glock22
11-16-2011, 20:08
gold dot 124+p

This^^^^ :cool:

Xenogy
11-17-2011, 06:02
Gold Dot 124gr +P
Gold Dot 147gr
Federal HST 147gr standard pressure

The above loads are dead nuts reliable when expanding through denim cloth or other barriers. They also hold together exceptionally well through hard barriers.

According to the FBI, 60% of all shootings the bullet passes through hands or arms first. These are areas full of bone. Nobody stands with their arms to their side when attacking you

I like to see 12-16" penetration and think that 14" is ideal. .

With all that said my pick of the 3 is the Federal HST 147gr std pressure

It comes close to and even has on occasion outperformed Gold Dots in barrier penetration tests. Generally it performs to the level of a bonded bullet

It has very reliable, robust, and uniform expansion with 12-14" penetration.

Has sharp pedals that bonded bullets usually lack that aid in cutting rather than crushing tissue

Easy to shoot

Brucev
11-17-2011, 08:17
Again, thanks to one and all for the information. In a few minutes I'll be out again to the nursing home, etc. making pastoral visits. And... in the floorboard of the car will be three nice 100 rd. boxes of Fed. Champion 9mm FMJ's for a little afternoon heavy metal therapy at the range. Then I'll look in the gunshop to see if any of the above suggested loads are in stock. Again, thank very much for the information. Sincerely. brucev.