9mm +p+ ammo [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 9mm +p+ ammo

bill111444
11-14-2011, 09:42
I got a deal on 4 boxes of Ranger 127g +P+ ammo to carry in my stock Gen3 G19. I was reading on the net that it is dangerous to fire +P+ ammo in a stock Glock because of the unsupported barrel....I have to buy an after market barrel. I was reading a post here on Glock Talk on the same ammo and they say--sure, go ahead and use it, the gun can handle it. I will believe Glock Talk people over anyone else, so I'm just asking for assurance. Thanks for your time. :cool:

ElrodCod
11-14-2011, 09:47
The problem with +P+ is that there is no set standard defining the upper pressure limit like there is with +p. So one manufacturer's +P+ might be ok and another maybe not.

Lindenwood
11-14-2011, 09:57
From what I've read, you aren't going to break the gun, though I suppose there is a chance a case could rupture. However, I highly doubt they would design a load that would rupture a case when shot out of the single most common gun in their target market :P .

Bren
11-14-2011, 09:59
I got a deal on 4 boxes of Ranger 127g +P+ ammo to carry in my stock Gen3 G19. I was reading on the net that it is dangerous to fire +P+ ammo in a stock Glock because of the unsupported barrel....I have to buy an after market barrel. I was reading a post here on Glock Talk on the same ammo and they say--sure, go ahead and use it, the gun can handle it. I will believe Glock Talk people over anyone else, so I'm just asking for assurance. Thanks for your time. :cool:

No, it isn't dangerous. If you can't fire it in a Glock, it can't be used in anything short of a submachinegun. The "unsupported barrel" whining usually refers to .40 S&W guns and even then it's 90% BS. I wnder how much is spread by the companies making aftermarket barrels - they aren't more accurate, longer lasting, or reliable, so they have to have some excuse to sell them.

hotpig
11-14-2011, 10:01
I shoot the RA9TA on a regular basis. I have a second generation G17 that has had hundreds if not thousands of rounds through it without any problems and is still factory stock.

Radian
11-14-2011, 10:04
I LOVE that stuff and run it when I can get it. It is OUTSTANDING self defense ammo and is safe to run in G26 up to G34 with no issues at all.

If you wanna see something cool try some at night from a G26, powder flash is impressive but not obliterating the front sight.

highfructosecornsyrp
11-14-2011, 10:08
I'm not going to look it up again, so take it with a grain of salt, but I read somewhere that +p+ was not reliable in a glock 19. It was in a 17, but not the 19. I cannot remember what the issue was, slide locking back or something.

Test your ammo, inspect your brass, if the brass looks nasty or you get erratic ejections with the ammo, don't use it. That's what I would do anyway.

Gaucho
11-14-2011, 10:14
Get a .357 sig. ;)

Z71bill
11-14-2011, 10:22
IMHO -

Better question is why do you feel you need a really hot load?

I bought a case of Federal +P+, I looked up the ballistic spec before I purchased them.

They were not that hot - 1170 FPS out of a 4" barrel.

IIRC the Ranger is more like 1250 - 1300 FPS

Standard load for a 124 is more like 1100-1150.

If the Federal would have been real hot I would have purchased something else.

The belief you need to have the highest power load is a myth. I have weak wrists and shoot a moderate power load better. I (generally:whistling:) hit where I aim - that is more important than getting an extra 50-100 FPS.

YMMV - but I doubt it will.

Bodyarmorguy
11-14-2011, 10:37
At a Glock factory armorer class about 3 years ago, the instructor told us that not only was it okay to use +P+ ammo, they recommended it saying that the additional recoil helped insure proper functioning.

GIockGuy24
11-14-2011, 10:50
The early Winchester 127 grain +P+ load was offered in plain brass or nickel plated cases. It was about 100 fps slower than the current production. I never saw any pressure signs with the old stuff. The new stuff is only available in nickel plated cases I believe and shows signs of overpressure in every pistol I've tried it. Not to the point of being dangerous or pistol damaging but it might be less reliable as the cases really bulge, so it is higher pressure for what pistols and cartridge are designed. The Federal 124 grain +P+ is slower but is as fast as 115 +P+ in my Glock 26. In longer barrels the 115 grain +P+ is faster but not in the Glock 26. The Federal +P+ loads show no overpressure signs. Speer 124 grain +P is almost as fast in the Glock 26. How much pressure is there when 9 mm is showing overpressure signs?

Bruce M
11-14-2011, 12:09
We use the Ranger 127gr +P+ and there are thousands of those rounds through hundreds of G17s and G26s and some G19s without issue. I would neither worry nor even think about an aftermarket barrel.

9mm +p+
11-14-2011, 12:58
I've been using the RA9TA +p+ load for years and it has NEVER showed any signs of pressure in any of the pistols I've shot it in. I carry it in my 19 everyday, everywhere and it has been flawless. Rest assured it is one of the top 9 loads on the market,period.

RMD
11-14-2011, 13:48
I've been using the RA9TA +p+ load for years and it has NEVER showed any signs of pressure in any of the pistols I've shot it in. I carry it in my 19 everyday, everywhere and it has been flawless. Rest assured it is one of the top 9 loads on the market,period.

This.

The RA9TA & Speer Gold Dot 124gr +p are probably the two loads most recommended for 9mm SD use.

If you're still uncomfortable shooting it however, please PM me and I'll take them off your hands :)

Fish Slayer
11-14-2011, 14:34
I believe a previous poster has it correct, there is no rating for +p+ ammo, it is an indication that it is higher pressure then a +p but there is no max range for the +p+ designation.
Look at your manual, it will tell you what pressures your firearm is rated for. Look at the specs on you ammo. If the specs on the ammo is less then or equal to the specs for your firearm, you are safe to shoot it.
Glocks are rated to shoot NATO ammo, which is higher pressures then +p. You will probably be OK, but I would recommend you take the time to look up the specs for yourself.

bmoore
11-14-2011, 14:39
10mm will solve all your needs

Tango 1Zero
11-14-2011, 14:40
Years ago I shot more. I use to shoot a steady diet of +P+ ammo out of my G19.
Never had one thought of doing it.
I would shoot any of the +P, or +P+ ammo today. You get use to the jump of the hot ammo I think it makes you a better shot and handle the pistol better.

DLL9mm
11-14-2011, 16:32
Good ammo. My Glock has went threw approx 200 rounds of the Ranger +p+.

federali
11-14-2011, 16:51
I feel that +P+ ammo pushes a gun to the limit and I question its need. Regular +P is effective enough when needed. There's another thread of a 10mm kaboom with ammo loaded to the limit.

Merkavaboy
11-14-2011, 16:57
At a Glock factory armorer class about 3 years ago, the instructor told us that not only was it okay to use +P+ ammo, they recommended it saying that the additional recoil helped insure proper functioning.

+1

When Glocks first hit the U.S. shores Glock reccomended that +P+ be used for proper functioning. Per 3 Glock reps I talked to at the '06 SHOT, Glocks can shoot ALL factory loaded rounds (including NATO and +P+).

My one and only carry load is Federal's 9BPLE. It clocks 1319fps out of my G19.

legion3
11-14-2011, 16:57
My 1988 glock 19 has had unknown numbers of the +P+ with no ill effects or issues.

I use 127 +P+ quite a bit.

Hey HotPig

I got ahold of some of the older Ranger NATO 9mm 124 grain stuff, 94 headstamp, in the brass case and the old Ranger white and red boxes.

any issues from that period?

The one box I popped off seemed to go bang flawlessly.

Merkavaboy
11-14-2011, 17:06
Get a .357 sig. ;)

Why get a 357Sig when the 9mm +P+ has been putting down BGs for decades before the Sig cartridge was even developed?

JBP55
11-14-2011, 17:09
I'm not going to look it up again, so take it with a grain of salt, but I read somewhere that +p+ was not reliable in a glock 19. It was in a 17, but not the 19. I cannot remember what the issue was, slide locking back or something.

Test your ammo, inspect your brass, if the brass looks nasty or you get erratic ejections with the ammo, don't use it. That's what I would do anyway.

Total Bull.

Merkavaboy
11-14-2011, 17:13
10mm will solve all your needs

The use of the 10mm really helped Harold Fish avoid prosecution didn't it? :upeyes:

DANGELO
11-14-2011, 18:53
I carry and have shot +P+ Speer Gold Dots out of my G19 with the stock barrel, with no issues at all.

PLEASE NOTE: This G19 is over 75,000 rounds old.

Clean it, change the springs like you should, and only use it for carry ammo & the occasional practice session. It'll be fine.

bmoore
11-14-2011, 18:56
The use of the 10mm really helped Harold Fish avoid prosecution didn't it? :upeyes:

Delete. Cant argue with stupid.

MajorD
11-14-2011, 20:07
considering a large number of LE agencies issued glock 9mm's use it as a duty round it should be safe.

G26S239
11-14-2011, 20:21
The problem with +P+ is that there is no set standard defining the upper pressure limit like there is with +p. So one manufacturer's +P+ might be ok and another maybe not.
I don't have any such problem shooting +P+ in my 19, 26s, 17, Sig 229, Sig 239 or USP9f. It is not like Winchester is loading +P+ to 454 Casull pressures.
Get a .357 sig. ;)
I have 3. Sig 229, Sig 239 and Glock 32, I prefer to use 40 if I want more than a 9mm +P+ delivers.
I feel that +P+ ammo pushes a gun to the limit and I question its need. Regular +P is effective enough when needed. There's another thread of a 10mm kaboom with ammo loaded to the limit.
How many guns has Winchester 9mm +P+ blown up?

legion3
11-14-2011, 21:20
delete - wrong thread

Glock40man
11-14-2011, 21:22
How many guns has Winchester 9mm +P+ blown up?

None, that I have seen.

j-glock22
11-14-2011, 21:46
127gr +p+? Thats hot.... should be safe for your glock but may wear parts faster.... i personally cap it at +p occasionally. Regular pressure for plinking....

bill111444
11-17-2011, 00:40
I accept your replies and will keep the ammo, thanks. :cool:

tango44
11-19-2011, 12:38
Not a problem at all with my G19!

nraman
11-19-2011, 15:59

That's true. Glocks are made to CIP and NATO standards that exceed SAAMI. 9mm Glocks have problems with underpowered loads not the hot stuff.
The 9mm Luger is supposed to be a high pressure round. The ammo makers started loading the 9mm to a lower standard and created a new SAAMI spec. The reason I read was that they did not feel comfortable with what is a normal pressure in the rest of the world.
Many US made 9mm handguns such as some S&Ws cannot handle NATO or European ammo. The Khar is another example, they warn against the use of NATO ammo.
You will not see such a warning for pistols like Glock, Beretta, Sig etc.

G26S239
11-19-2011, 20:25
That's true. Glocks are made to CIP and NATO standards that exceed SAAMI. 9mm Glocks have problems with underpowered loads not the hot stuff.
The 9mm Luger is supposed to be a high pressure round. The ammo makers started loading the 9mm to a lower standard and created a new SAAMI spec. The reason I read was that they did not feel comfortable with what is a normal pressure in the rest of the world.
Many US made 9mm handguns such as some S&Ws cannot handle NATO or European ammo. The Khar is another example, they warn against the use of NATO ammo.
You will not see such a warning for pistols like Glock, Beretta, Sig etc.
I see no such warning in the manual that came with my MK9. What page is it on? This faq lists Kahrs as being rated for +P http://www.kahr.com/faq.asp#q4

nraman
11-19-2011, 21:37
I see no such warning in the manual that came with my MK9. What page is it on? This faq lists Kahrs as being rated for +P http://www.kahr.com/faq.asp#q4

I emailed Khar and asked them about my PM9 and NATO ammo. They said I can not use it. That was when the first generation PM9 had just come out.
I called them again when I bought a second generation PM9 just in case it changed and again I was told the same thing.
Give them a call, or email them. They will tell you.
The S&W people I got in touch with when I had a 6069 said SAAMI only and NATO is not SAAMI.
+P is SAAMI spec so most 9mms should be able to use it.
I always try to use the best ammo in 9mm.

unit1069
11-19-2011, 21:49

I've never shot any Ranger 127-grain +P+ but I keep reading it's as good a self-defense JHP round as there is.

From what I can tell by testimonials here and elsewhere the ranking is ... :

1) Winchester 127-grain +P+ or 124-grain Speer Gold Dot +P. (essentially a tie for "best of the best")

3) Federal 115-grain +P+ 9BPLE.

You can use any ammo with your Glock, with the only caveat being to avoid the exotic European submachine gun ammo that's not designed for pistols.

nraman
11-19-2011, 22:03
I've never shot any Ranger 127-grain +P+ but I keep reading it's as good a self-defense JHP round as there is.

From what I can tell by testimonials here and elsewhere the ranking is ... :

1) Winchester 127-grain +P+ or 124-grain Speer Gold Dot +P. (essentially a tie for "best of the best")

3) Federal 115-grain +P+ 9BPLE.

You can use any ammo with your Glock, with the only caveat being to avoid the exotic European submachine gun ammo that's not designed for pistols.

I use the Ranger 115gr +P+ in my G17s and G26s. I chronographed it at over 1350 in the G17.

I would like to add that I reload. Vitavuori used to have two different sets of data for the 9mm US and Metric. The US was grains and f/sec. The metric was in grams and meters per second. I converted their numbers to US and it turned out that their metric loads were hotter than the US loads with the same components. Their 115gr metric load had the velocities of the WW Ranger +P+.
I guess they got nervous and removed the Metric data from their web site, good thing I copied them before that.

LarryNC
11-20-2011, 07:42

I know that you have already received enough replies regarding the use of Winchester +P+ ammo. It happens to be my favorite carry load. But what interests me more is what you said about the 9mm Glock having an unsupported barrel. I might be wrong about this, but it is my understanding that Glock's 9mm barrels are fully-supported. I have heard and read that complaint being made about Glocks in other calibers, but not in 9mm. The 9mm barrels do not have that problem. At least that has been my understanding.

Lindenwood
11-20-2011, 09:24

His use of 10mm was only icing on a 7-tier cake. He got locked up for triple-tapping an unarmed man in the chest.

Not that I don't sympathize, or even that I wouldn't have done the same thing, but that's how the jury saw it.

nraman
11-20-2011, 13:00
I know that you have already received enough replies regarding the use of Winchester +P+ ammo. It happens to be my favorite carry load. But what interests me more is what you said about the 9mm Glock having an unsupported barrel. I might be wrong about this, but it is my understanding that Glock's 9mm barrels are fully-supported. I have heard and read that complaint being made about Glocks in other calibers, but not in 9mm. The 9mm barrels do not have that problem. At least that has been my understanding.

You are correct. The 9mm Glock barrels have excellent support. The 9mm is tapered and feeds well. I compared the chambers of my Beretta 92FS and G17 and G26. The Glock chamber has better support than the Beretta. It doesn't mean that the Beretta support is not enough, just that the Glock is just a bit better. Even without another barrel to compare, if you remove the Glock barrel and drop a round in the chamber, it is obvious that there is no problem.
I would say the same thing about my Gen4 G22 and G27. Their chambers are fully supported.
They did one helluva job with the new Gen4 G22. Fully supported chamber and a new spring that did away with the sharpness of the .40S&W recoil. A pleasure to shoot.