new ccw [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : new ccw

voomie
11-14-2011, 10:19
I just filed my application for my ccw in Ohio and I am waiting for them to process it. Now I am curious if any of you had tips for someone new to carrying? My carry piece will be a glock 17. I know a full size is not recommended but I shoot better with a full size than compact so I dont mind dressing around it.

MLittle
11-14-2011, 10:37
As long as you select the proper holster and belt and are able to conceal effectively, I don't see any problem with your selection. Me...I'm retired, so my clothing tends to be very casual (jeans, shorts, sport shirts, t-shirts) with most my shirts worn outside my pants so concealing a full size firearm (for me a Sig Sauer P220) is no problem. However; if you still work for a living and say have to wear a suit for work, your parameters of carry are a little more difficult to meet. For me the most difficult decision was how to carry. Tried on the back of my hip, but that wasn't comfortable for me. I'm left handed and I carry in waist band in front of my hip (appendix carry).

failsafe
11-14-2011, 11:16
Well, you might want to consider another Glock, say a 19 or a 26..They are much easier to conceal and the holster options are almost limitless...Same ammo, and really the 19 can produce good groupings from a knowledgeable person...
Leave the 17 for open carry and range...

hamster
11-14-2011, 11:53
I just filed my application for my ccw in Ohio and I am waiting for them to process it. Now I am curious if any of you had tips for someone new to carrying? My carry piece will be a glock 17. I know a full size is not recommended but I shoot better with a full size than compact so I dont mind dressing around it.

Your holster will be the #1 factor in concealing effectively. In general IWB (inside the waistband) holsters offer the best concealment. I'm a fan of http://theisholsters.com/

Adjusting the cant, ride height and position of the holster will make large differences in how well you conceal. Also, if your situation allows a loose cover shirt, vest or sport jacket really help.

ithaca_deerslayer
11-14-2011, 12:42

Since you asked for tips, and since I don't know anything about you other than this post, here goes:

You will find yourself either getting a smaller gun or else not carrying the 17 much :)

The tip is to be on the lookout for when you don't carry. That would be the time to ask yourself if you'd carry a smaller gun if you had one.

Nothing wrong with the 17, I have one. Also a 26, PM9, 642, and LCP. :)

Japle
11-14-2011, 16:47
Iíve lived in Florida (Brevard County) since 1985 and have been carrying every day since 1988. One thing Iíve found out is that you can carry anything you want to and no one will notice.
I started off carrying a LW .45 Commander and have carried a BHP, a couple of full-size Witnesses, various full-size 1911s, Glock 19 and 17, a 4Ē XD .45, a CZ75 and some wheelguns. These days I carry an XDm 3.8 9mm with the full-size grip.
I carried a 4Ē M-29 in an OWB holster along with 2 speedloaders for a month just for fun. At 5í9Ē and 145 lbs, it was obvious as hell. It stuck out a mile. No one noticed a thing.

When I first started carrying a gun in 1988, I was paranoid about ďprintingĒ and always careful to be sure my gun was covered. When the wind blew my shirt or jacket open I was quick to get it closed again.

Iíve quit doing that. Now, when Iím walking through a parking lot and my shirt blows back, revealing my gun, I let it go. If people are close by, Iíll cover the gun, but normally itís not worth the trouble. People are far too wrapped up in their own lives to spend their time examining you. Unless you're a supermodel or on fire, no one will pay any attention to you at all. No oneís looking for guns. No one will notice any bulges under your clothes. Donít let the fear that youíll be ďmadeĒ keep you from carrying a major-caliber handgun. Your G17 is just fine.

Iím strongly opposed to any method of carrying a gun that requires two hands to access the gun. If you canít easily brush your cover garment aside and grab the gun, youíre asking for trouble. If youíre attacked from close range (very likely) you may not have both hands available. You may be fighting your attacker off with one hand and unable to get your gun out with the other hand.

cowboy1964
11-14-2011, 17:02
If you're set on the 17, get a holster that is very adjustable in both height and cant (like the Comp-tac MTAC). With longer grips you generally want more cant so the butt of the gun doesn't stick out so far.

voomie
11-14-2011, 19:02
This is the holster I got. http://www.blade-tech.com/Phantom-Series-IWB-holster-pr-1212.html When I chose the 17, it fit my hand better than the 19 and was only a slight bit bigger so unless I have a big issue while carrying, I am probably not going to change what I am carrying. As the saying goes, carrying should be comforting not necessarily comfortable.

xmanhockey7
11-14-2011, 20:52
This is the holster I got. http://www.blade-tech.com/Phantom-Series-IWB-holster-pr-1212.html When I chose the 17, it fit my hand better than the 19 and was only a slight bit bigger so unless I have a big issue while carrying, I am probably not going to change what I am carrying. As the saying goes, carrying should be comforting not necessarily comfortable.

It all depends on you. There are people out there who carry full size guns everyday and have no problems. Most of them carry in a CB Superstuck or Galco Kingtuk. Maybe consider a vertical shoulder holster. For me I could hide my Glock 22 (same size as 17) no problem standing up but sitting down was another issue. Just find what works for you. If the 17 it too much gun to concealed consider the 19 or 26 or maybe stick with the 17 but open carry.

A6Gator
11-15-2011, 09:32
If you have confidence in the G17, it's a good choice. The difference between the G17 and G19 is .47" in length and .43" in height.

EAJuggalo
11-17-2011, 09:18
It all depends on your size and what you feel comfortable with. My usual carry guns are either a G21SF in an MTAC or a Taurus 650 (J Frame) in a Sideguard Holsters qwik clip. I'm going to disagree with Hamster, the most important part of your carry rig is your belt. Even the best holsters will be hard to conceal effectively with a crappy belt but even an el cheapo uncle mike's can conceal well with a good belt. I'm partial to Looper Leather's Kydex reinforced belt but there are lots of good options out there, just make sure it's a gun belt.

Like Gator said, the difference between a 17 and 19 is a half inch, is that really going to make that much of a difference to your concealment?

HerrGlock
11-17-2011, 09:21
Yeah, before we have to listen to how uncomfortable carrying is, buy yourself a GUN belt. Not "a good, thick belt" but one that is made for carrying a gun. Beltman, Wilderness Instructor, Galco, Bianchi, whatever, just make sure it's a gun belt.

Also:

http://ankylosaur.com/images/firsttimecarry.jpg

DWARREN123
11-17-2011, 09:22
As said a good holster and belt and dress around the firearm. I carry either a G22, same size, or G20SF bigger and have no problems.
I like big and fast in bullets. :supergrin:

BailRecoveryAgent
11-17-2011, 09:41

If you have confidence in the G17, it's a good choice. The difference between the G17 and G19 is .47" in length and .43" in height.

If you're willing to take the proper steps for concealment, then there is no reason why a G17 won't work for a carry gun. As others have said, a GUN BELT is the foundation of your carry setup, don't skimp out on the belt. You can go with a Wilderness 5 stitch for under $50, or up to well over $100 for leather, but a gun belt is worth its weight in gold when you carry a gun everyday all day.

xmanhockey7
11-17-2011, 10:06
like gator said, the difference between a 17 and 19 is a half inch, is that really going to make that much of a difference to your concealment?

imho yes!

RRTX11
11-17-2011, 10:12
Well, you might want to consider another Glock, say a 19 or a 26..They are much easier to conceal and the holster options are almost limitless...Same ammo, and really the 19 can produce good groupings from a knowledgeable person...
Leave the 17 for open carry and range...

I use my 17 for open carry on the ranch, range and competition. Killed a hog with it last week. EDC a 19. It is not that big of a difference....but it is.

failsafe
11-17-2011, 11:54
Well, there is roughly 1/2 difference in bbl length, but there is also about 1/2" added grip length to the 17..That's where many have a hard time concealing the pistol without printing..I have a 22 a 23 and a 32..The compact 23 and 32 suits my needs.

DaneA
11-17-2011, 19:04
Like Gator said, the difference ... is a half inch, is that really going to make that much of a difference...?

She seems to think so... :whistling:

I think the bigger issue you are going to have carrying the 17 is weight. There is a difference between a fully loaded 17,19,26. Personally I carry a 26 everyday and if you add the grip extension you will notice very little difference between that and the 17 or 19 IMO.

And as others have said - BUY A GOOD GUN BELT!!!!!
FWIW: My setup is a Crossbreed belt with a Crossbreed Supertuck. I wear it at least 12 hours daily in business casual clothing and haven't been spotted except by another fellow that also had a CBST.

EAJuggalo
11-18-2011, 07:22
Look at the first sentence of my reply, it all depends on how big of a person you are and what you're comfortable with. I'm 6'2" 235 lbs I can conceal the grip on a 17 or 21 much easier than a guy who is 5'8" 140. I've also found the spot, holster and belt combo that makes the wife surprised when I take off the gun at the end of the day because she never knew I had it on.

There are people where that 1/2" will make a difference in concealment, I just don't believe it's nearly as many people as think so.

voomie
11-18-2011, 21:37
I got my license this morning but had to wait to after 4pm before their system had me on file. I have my first time carrying under my belt, no pun intended. Until I get a little more confident in my carry setup, I am going to carry without one in the camber. Some things I did notice. My 17 fully loaded isnt that heavy and even though my belt is fabric, I was never unsure of the position of my gun. Here is a belt similar to mine. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004OI482U/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_3?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B0006UF6LM&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1MEH58ZMSY2JSHQYSSD3 I was only out for an hour to go to walmart and pick the wife up from work, so I will need to test out my set up some more. One question I do have is, I was carrying at the 6 o'clock position because that is what I thought would conceal best but is that the best position for carry?

Jon_R
11-18-2011, 21:48
By 6 o'clock you mean the dead center of your back? If so it is not my first choice hard to get to easy to sweep yourself in a very excited condition falling on my back could cause some problems, etc.... I carry 8-9 o'clock (lefty) 3-4 if you were a righty. I like the spot just behind the hip bone. Apendix carry I have not worked out something I like but some people like it a lot. I would recomend getting an actual gun belt. Beltman or Wilderness 5 stitch others something purpose built for carrying a gun.

I got my license this morning but had to wait to after 4pm before their system had me on file. I have my first time carrying under my belt, no pun intended. Until I get a little more confident in my carry setup, I am going to carry without one in the camber. Some things I did notice. My 17 fully loaded isnt that heavy and even though my belt is fabric, I was never unsure of the position of my gun. Here is a belt similar to mine. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004OI482U/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_3?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B0006UF6LM&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1MEH58ZMSY2JSHQYSSD3 I was only out for an hour to go to walmart and pick the wife up from work, so I will need to test out my set up some more. One question I do have is, I was carrying at the 6 o'clock position because that is what I thought would conceal best but is that the best position for carry?

steve581581
11-18-2011, 21:50
At first you'll be concerned about concealing it so it won't be noticed. That will wear off once you realize that most people are completely oblivious to others around them. Your sense of your surroundings will go up. I've carried for three years. I started out with a G30 but went to the smaller G33 or S&W 642 depending on what I'm doing or where I'm going and could care less who sees it. I carry my G33 in an iwb holster at 3oclock and the 642 in a pocket holster in my right back pocket.

JuneyBooney
11-18-2011, 21:57

I like the 27 for shooting better than the 22..go figure. Just practice unloaded if you are doing any quick draw practice..don't want you to hurt yourself or anyone else. Look in the mirror for images of the gun when under a cost..etc. Good luck with a good holster and don't "Mexican Carry" the Glock.

xmanhockey7
11-18-2011, 22:59
I open carry and trust me a lot of people don't even notice that I'm carrying. I've had long conversations with people and sometimes about 10 minutes in you see the look on their face when they notice it. While 6 o'clock isn't the best if that's what works for you stick with it. I'd recommend trying 4-430 just behind your hip bone. Problem with the Glock 17 is that it can stick out if all you have is a t shirt especially sitting down.

EAJuggalo
11-18-2011, 23:50
A true 6 o clock carry is about the worst position you can have a gun in. If you were to fall or get pushed into a hard object you would end up with a large piece of steel pressed into your spinal cord. Just off 6 is better but still I don't think it's very good because you have no idea what is going on back there. I've seen multiple people that were carrying at about 5 that had their shirt tucked in behind the gun, they had no idea. I strongly prefer 3-4 since your arm will do a large part of the concealing for you, most guys have enough bulk to hide the grip effectively there and it's much easier to draw from if you have to.

Get a real gun belt from Beltman, Wilderness, Looper, Bianchi, I don't like Galco but you might. And a good holster and play around with it for a while. Try all kinds of different positions and find what works for you. It took me about a year, two belts and 4 holsters to find what works best for me. If you want to try a CTAC for your 17 send me a PM, you cover shipping and you're more than welcome to try it for a month or two, if you like it I'll sell it to you for a good price.

beforeobamabans
11-19-2011, 04:28
I love carrying the 17. There's nothing like the confidence of carrying 17+1! Here's my tips:

You really have to carry the 17 at 3:00-4:00. Get a primo belt (Beltman) and a couple of good mid-priced but highly functional and proven custom leather holsters. I can completely recommend Nick Mathews #1 for IWB and SGH's Slide for OWB both run about $75 each and will pull your gun tight to your body.

The NM1 is designed for 3:00. It rides low and has an exaggerated forward cant which kicks the grip up more vertical behind your arm. Very good concealment but still accessible. Fit and finish is on par with $100 holsters.
http://www.nm-holsters.com/products

The Slide is a rather plain, standard design but it works. I love to carry the 17 OWB when I can wear a cover garment, usually an untucked denim shirt. The draw from this holster and this position is superior--the quickest setup I've found yet.
http://sideguardholsters.com/holsters/TheSlide.htm

If you don't mind spending $120-180 for the absolute highest quality leather craftsmanship, just buy a Brommeland IWB and/or OWB and be done with it. This is a case of 'getting what you pay for'. The finest materials, unique highly functional designs, supreme attention to detail and craftsmanship, simply a gorgeous, excellent concealing holster that you will never regret investing in.
http://www.brommelandgunleather.com/

Enjoy carrying that 17!