Using Frog Lube and Barnes CR-10 in AR bore? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Using Frog Lube and Barnes CR-10 in AR bore?

21Glock
11-14-2011, 12:00
Guys,
Promise this is my last thread on Frog Lube. Has anyone used Frog Lube in combination with Barnes CR-10 copper solvent in their AR bores to get copper out of the bore .
I know CR-10 is non petro based too, so it shouldn't be working against the Frog Lube.

Just curious.

Thanks!

samuse
11-14-2011, 12:33
Why are you cleaning the bore?

Shoot it 'til the throats eroded out and re-barrel it.

Jerry
11-14-2011, 13:27
I E-mailed FL. Here’s the response I received from FL customer service.

Jerry,

The way FrogLube works is to 'season' the barrel. After regular use, your barrel will become coated and fouling won't stick. Copper or Lead. Solvents will no longer be required because the fouling will either be dissolved by the chemistry of FrogLube or wipe out with a run thru with a clean patch.

We recommend that you use only FrogLube, ditch your solvents and enjoy the result.

best,

On Nov 6, 2011, at 11:32 AM, Jerry wrote:

After much research I recently purchased Frog Lube. My understand is that it WILL remove lead from barrel boars but not copper. My question is… IS Frog Lube compatible with XXX copper solvent. If not what do/would you recommend to use in conjunction with Frog Lube in rifle boars to remove copper fouling?

Thank You,

Jerry

So far I’ve been pretty amazed by FL. Jury is still out until further testing is done.

21Glock
11-14-2011, 14:27
I E-mailed FL. Hereís the response I received from FL customer service.

So far Iíve been pretty amazed by FL. Jury is still out until further testing is done.

Thanks for the update. I've treated my guns with FL. Just haven't shot them and tried it on the cleaning end yet. I'm eager to see how it does. I just ordered some Barnes CR-10 from Midway, just in case, it hasn't seasoned enough yet to get the copper out. I've heard it's really not a copper remover, just wanted to see what others experience had been with this amazing stuff.

Jerry
11-14-2011, 17:24
Thanks for the update. I've treated my guns with FL. Just haven't shot them and tried it on the cleaning end yet. I'm eager to see how it does. I just ordered some Barnes CR-10 from Midway, just in case, it hasn't seasoned enough yet to get the copper out. I've heard it's really not a copper remover, just wanted to see what others experience had been with this amazing stuff.

I used it on my 06 for the first time last week after seeing what it did for my G 30 aftermarket barrel that I shoot lead through. I wrote FL because I shoot jacketed bullets through the 06. After receiving the return E-mail I decided to treat the 06 boar with FL.

I’ve been shooting this rifle since the early 70s and have always used Hoppies # 9 and Remington boar solvent to keep the boar clean. I thought the boar was clean as it has always looked clean even when using a boar light.

I had cleaned the boar the week before during and after my last range session. Shoot five shots clean let rifle cool five and clean etc.

So I break out the FL and follow the instruction. Warm up and scrub with boar brush. I then let it sit for about ten minutes. I couldn’t believe what the first patch I shoved through looked like. It was black. I mean looked like wet mud came out. Ran some dry patches scrubbed again more dry patches FL soaked patch and more dry patches. Finally the FL patch and dry patches came out clean. Boar is shiny bright and I can see brass color, not buildup just faint color on the edges of the lands.

Last time I bought patches I had bought some 30 60 patches but returned them because they were too tight to go through the boar. I thought they were just made to thick. I had to use 6 mm. patches. I now have to buy some more 30 06 patches because the 6 mm. slide through with no resistance. :supergrin:

Matthew Courtney
11-17-2011, 13:14
I am sure that you guys know this. I am posting it for folks who may read this thread and get confused by what you have described.

Most FMJ bullets have exposed lead at the base. When they are fired, a small amount of this lead is vaporized by the extreme heat from the burning powder. Some of this vaporized lead leaves the barrel with the gases from the powder combustion, while some of it remains in the barrel and condenses on the bore. This is how we end up with a combined lead/copper fouling from shooting FMJ ammo. Since much of the copper has lead between it and. the steel bore, dissolving the lead allows much of the copper to be brushed of mopped out

wdphillips
11-20-2011, 20:12
I just started using my first 4oz of Frog Lube. A little bit goes a long way and it smells really great.

I have no idea if it is doing what it should!

Jerry
11-20-2011, 20:54
I’ve used it on several different firearms, Glock, AR 15, Sig 522 and my beloved Remington 700 30 06. IT WORKS!. I was super skeptical as it just sounded too good to be true and seemed pricey. It goes a long way does a super job of cleaning and lubricates well. As Mathew and the e-male I received states the copper comes out too. I can’t believe how clean my hands are when I’m finished cleaning my guns and it smells grate. I don’t worry about getting it on my clothes either as it washes right out. The cleaning rag is black and filthy after cleaning my AR and Sig 522. A little dish washing liquid, hand wash and the cleaning rag looks like it was never used.

I’M A BELIEVER! :supergrin:

Mail Clerk
11-22-2011, 10:02
Guys,
Promise this is my last thread on Frog Lube. Has anyone used Frog Lube in combination with Barnes CR-10 copper solvent in their AR bores to get copper out of the bore .
I know CR-10 is non petro based too, so it shouldn't be working against the Frog Lube.

Just curious.

Thanks!

21Glock,

You must have a non-chrome bored barrel on your AR. I wouldn't use Barnes CR-10 as it's extremly aggressive medium to use. I mean do you really need to use that????? For any of my AR's that has a onn-chromed bore I use Birchwood Casey Bore Scrubber or Midway has their own solvent that does the same thing.

As for Frog Lube I have so many product that I've bought through the years it'll take mt close to eight years to get through all of them.

Mail Clerk

21Glock
11-22-2011, 12:17
So, I guess I can just use Frog Lube and get the copper out as it seasons the bore so nothing will stick to it from what you are telling me in your experience.

21Glock
11-22-2011, 12:24
I used it on my 06 for the first time last week after seeing what it did for my G 30 aftermarket barrel that I shoot lead through. I wrote FL because I shoot jacketed bullets through the 06. After receiving the return E-mail I decided to treat the 06 boar with FL.

Iíve been shooting this rifle since the early 70s and have always used Hoppies # 9 and Remington boar solvent to keep the boar clean. I thought the boar was clean as it has always looked clean even when using a boar light.

I had cleaned the boar the week before during and after my last range session. Shoot five shots clean let rifle cool five and clean etc.

So I break out the FL and follow the instruction. Warm up and scrub with boar brush. I then let it sit for about ten minutes. I couldnít believe what the first patch I shoved through looked like. It was black. I mean looked like wet mud came out. Ran some dry patches scrubbed again more dry patches FL soaked patch and more dry patches. Finally the FL patch and dry patches came out clean. Boar is shiny bright and I can see brass color, not buildup just faint color on the edges of the lands.

Last time I bought patches I had bought some 30 60 patches but returned them because they were too tight to go through the boar. I thought they were just made to thick. I had to use 6 mm. patches. I now have to buy some more 30 06 patches because the 6 mm. slide through with no resistance. :supergrin:

Thanks, I guess I'll just use the Frog Lube and let it do it's thing getting all the fouling out including the copper.

21Glock
11-22-2011, 12:26
21Glock,

You must have a non-chrome bored barrel on your AR. I wouldn't use Barnes CR-10 as it's extremly aggressive medium to use. I mean do you really need to use that????? For any of my AR's that has a onn-chromed bore I use Birchwood Casey Bore Scrubber or Midway has their own solvent that does the same thing.

As for Frog Lube I have so many product that I've bought through the years it'll take mt close to eight years to get through all of them.

Mail Clerk

I have a Bushmaster carbine with a chrome bore. I will probably just use the Frog Lube since that appears to doing the job for most everybody here.

Jerry
11-22-2011, 15:39
My AR is chrome lined my 06 isnít. The FL worked on both.