.45acp vs. 10mm ?? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : .45acp vs. 10mm ??

silvrevo
11-14-2011, 12:28
Would like some input from you guys about these two rounds.

Which is a better home defense round and over penitration. I know some different rounds are made for this.

Another would be the weight of each round in grams. Thinking of using one of these for a carry gun plus a nightstand gun.

Looking into either a G29sf or a G30sf....Maybe a G36.

Pretty much have the sizes of these three guns from the Glock site.

Maybe if you can clue me into how these two round differ.

Also price of range ammo for each. Probably WWB or what you have found.

Thanks in advance:supergrin:

Glock30Eric
11-14-2011, 12:34
If you reloads, then ammo $$ doesn't matter.

I like 30 because I could get 10mm barrel into my Glock 30.

silvrevo
11-14-2011, 13:19
Well the reload thing isnt free,, and dosnt come close to paying off until your well into it.

I found the weights on glock site. G29 loaded 33oz...G30 loaded 33.86oz....G27 loaded 27oz

Thanks.

Aslo RP is looking better and better

fredj338
11-14-2011, 13:49
In identical guns, full power 10mm is more diff to shoot well vs full power 45. Go to 45acp+P, they get very close in recoil. So the biggest point would be suitable SD/HD ammo & the 45acp wins that hands down. There are very few good 10mm loads. You get 1-2rds more in a Glock platform going 10mm. Cost of 10mm practice ammo is greater. So for me, no brainer, I would go 45acp & the G30. For a house gun though, the larger G21 makes more sense.
Well the reload thing isnt free,, and dosnt come close to paying off until your well into it.
Just not true, especially when talking 10mm ammo. You can reload full power practice ammo for 2/3 the cost of factory 10mm. You would easily pay for even a high end ($1000) reloading setup in as little as 5000rds (about 1yr shooting for many). GA ammo is $400/k, you can reload it for less than $180/K using 180grPD bullets & once fired brass amortized over 10 reloads.

TreyG-20
11-14-2011, 14:05
This thread should get interesting after awhile

CanyonMan
11-14-2011, 14:18
In identical guns, full power 10mm is more diff to shoot well vs full power 45. Go to 45acp+P, they get very close in recoil. So the biggest point would be suitable SD/HD ammo & the 45acp wins that hands down. There are very few good 10mm loads. You get 1-2rds more in a Glock platform going 10mm. Cost of 10mm practice ammo is greater. So for me, no brainer, I would go 45acp & the G30. For a house gun though, the larger G21 makes more sense.

^^^^ This.

Either one will work well for HD/SD, but i do use full power loads in the 10mm for two legged SD, and a 180gr/200 gr XTP of "my own handloading...." In the canyons where more penetration is needed, a 200gr Bear Tooth Hard Cast..

As Fred said, full power ammo for the 10mm is very hard to find, 'not much choices'. I will add, not much 'RELIABLE' choices IMO.

Not much has impressed me 'personally' except for the Buffalo Bore, in a 10mm factory offering. BB is a long time and very well established ammo manufacturer and not full of bull, hype, nor a mom and pop operation. For factory stuff. I trust them completely.

The 45acp goes "To Town," and the 10mm G20 is for the ranch, along with the magnums, which 'trump' the 10mm. The G29 is a nice small package for the 10mm to EDC as well. As some have said, you do need to hand load, or if not, again, check out Buffalo Bore ammo. NOT DT.

I either EDC in town a M1911 45acp, or a G36, which I am growing very fond of lately. The G30 Fred mentioned is an excellent shooter as well, and the same size as my G29SF 10mm.

As far as reliability and accuracy and shootability, there all good, but man I personally (not counting my M1911) really like the G36. I have about 1500 rds through it with all types of factory JHP's and FMJ's, and a dump load of my hand loads at 900 + FPS with a 230gr bullet. Never a problem, and the little guy (as well as the G30) shoots real tight groups for me even at longer range than one normally would test for grouping. BTW... If you do use the G36 leave it and the mags 'stock' for 100% reliability and concealment. Why get a small slim package such as this and add mag extentions on it. :dunno:

If you want to be able to always find ammo about any where you go in this world, 'between the two cals mentioned'. It is the 45acp.

They both will do ya. I am just bias when it comes to 45acp. :whistling:

Have fun making up your mind amigo ! :supergrin:

CM

Al Czervik
11-14-2011, 14:44
10mm for me. I like the versatility and range of ammunition....from 135 grain Nosler HPs to 220 grain hard-cast. But, yes ammo is expensive.

Zombie Steve
11-14-2011, 15:07
Both great rounds well suited to carry / nightstand duty. If you are ever in need of a woods gun, the 10mm will have an edge in penetration with full power ammo.

As far as the reloading thing goes, I can tell you I'm a full fledged brass scrounger. I've picked up and shot thousands of .45 brass over the years. I think I've found 6 or 7 10mm. Point being, it will be a lot easier to break even on your tooling up costs reloading for .45 than it will in 10mm because you will be more likely to get free brass.

PghJim
11-19-2011, 23:58
I could never get the G30 or G36 to function properly and thus I have the G29. As far as effectiveness, I would say that it probably does not matter. The 3.7" or so barrels do cut down on velocity. I put a Storm Lake 4.5" barrel on my G29 and really like it. I took a real soaking to get rid of my G30 and two G36's, so I have a strong preference for the G29.

Tiro Fijo
11-20-2011, 03:24
Well the reload thing isnt free,, and dosnt come close to paying off until your well into it...

...Just not true, especially when talking 10mm ammo. You can reload full power practice ammo for 2/3 the cost of factory 10mm. You would easily pay for even a high end ($1000) reloading setup in as little as 5000rds (about 1yr shooting for many). GA ammo is $400/k, you can reload it for less than $180/K using 180grPD bullets & once fired brass amortized over 10 reloads.

Reminds me of an argument I got sucked into at a shooting range by a couple who said it would take years to pay back for the initial outlay of reloading eqpmt. As Fred explained it simply isn't true.

The two biggest enemies to reloading are unfounded fears & pure unadulterated sloth IMO.

Kingarthurhk
11-20-2011, 04:01
I like both. I own a G20SF, and I am about to own a G21 compensated. The G20SF comes with standard 15 round magazines, and the G21 with 13. Either one of these can be modified with an Arrendondo have larger magazine capacities. I like both rounds, though, in my experience with both rounds, I would say the 10mm is definately a hotter round. It is also more expensive and you pretty much have to order it online to get it. You can get .45 ACP anywhere. You can't do that with 10mm.

That being said, I am not dissing either round. I am a fan of both.

VinnieD
11-21-2011, 00:10
I've been weighing both myself for a while. I'm more of a revolver guy, so when I opt to venture into autos I didn't want something underpowered. As I'm used to shooting .357 magnum I've personally settled on a 10mm in my future.

Personally I've come to understand that the power of the charge behind the bullet has a lot more to do with stopping power than just the diameter. In general, it seems in firearms technology, the laws of physics favor throwing the rock harder vs throwing a slightly bigger rock.

swinokur
11-21-2011, 05:46
I have a G29SF and a G30.Both great shooters but the G30 is slightly easier to make follow up shots with IMO. It is a softer shooter although with 230g +p 45 there is not much of difference. 45ACP ammo is cheaper and more plentiful in my experience

beforeobamabans
11-21-2011, 09:12
It looks like the G30 finally has some real competition in the new XDm 3.8 Compact 45. With it's tapered slide (narrower dimension at the top), it appears to solve the primary carry drawback of the 30-- its width. It all depends on how that grip feels. Arriving at my LGS this week.

jwizzl497
11-21-2011, 09:50
I've been weighing both myself for a while. I'm more of a revolver guy, so when I opt to venture into autos I didn't want something underpowered. As I'm used to shooting .357 magnum I've personally settled on a 10mm in my future.

Personally I've come to understand that the power of the charge behind the bullet has a lot more to do with stopping power than just the diameter. In general, it seems in firearms technology, the laws of physics favor throwing the rock harder vs throwing a slightly bigger rock.

I agree. Logically, it seems that diameter would be most important, however, then i think about Rifle rounds and how these tiny bullets some not much larger than a .22 in diameter cause so much damage becuase of their velocity.

Its interesting stuff.