G27 IWB holster [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : G27 IWB holster

huggytree
11-14-2011, 18:32
i am still planning on using my OWB holster as much as possible...but i bought a IWB holster also for my G27

its something i paid $15 for off of Ebay...its Made in USA and i forgot the brand name...its nothing special and pretty much generic...fabric w/ a clip on it

the issue i have is it covers the grip too much...i could never do a quick draw like i can w/ my OWB holster...i would have to fidget with it a bit to get a hold of it

is this normal for IWB holsters? or should i get a better one

do they make one with an extra mag holder attached?

xmanhockey7
11-14-2011, 19:53
The Galco Kingtuk allows you to get a full grip on your gun.

janice6
11-14-2011, 20:00
That's Nylon. Get a good holster for your G27. Try IWB Super Tuck Crossbreed. No problems with draw and comfort.

Ocean_glocker
11-14-2011, 20:04
That's Nylon. Get a good holster for your G27. Try IWB Super Tuck Crossbreed. No problems with draw and comfort.

+1 on the Cross Breed, I went through a bunch of holsters before I tried this one. It's a little pricey but worth very penny.

tommytrauma
11-15-2011, 09:06
No, a decent IWB shouldn't prevent you from getting a good grip.
I'm quite happy with a Comp-Tac CTAC for my 26.

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q115/tommytrauma/IMG_20111115_100009.jpg

Where in WI are you? My social circle has managed to collect a bizillion holsters, and you're welcome to check out what we have before buying.

sns3guppy
11-15-2011, 09:26
Don't go cheap on a holster. It's part of your weapons system. It never fails to amaze me that people buy an expensive rifle, but a cheap scope; an expensive handgun, but a cheap holster, and so on. If your life will depend on it, treat it that way.

Most of the metal clips on holsters these days don't do much to retain the holster in place during the draw. Do a hundred holster presentations, especially after wearing the holster for a while and sitting, standing, moving around; you'll probably find that the holster starts coming away with the handgun, rendering your handgun useless. Make your equipment thoroughly prove itself to you.

I had a G27 in a crossbreed holster with the standard metal clips, a few years ago, and ended up taking a tumble down a snow covered slope. A good holster should retain the weapon. In my case, the holster and G27 departed shortly after I began to tumble. I found it in the snow. I didn't use that set-up again. Crossbreed and the other copies have some measure of retention with the rough side of the leather against you, but not enough if the clips or other devices (J-hooks, etc) don't work.

An IWB holster needs to be stiff or firm such that the mouth of the holster will hold it's form. You need to be able to safely reholster with one hand, as you should be able to do with any handgun. If you're trying to pry the holster open using the muzzle of your Glock with one hand, especially if you're occupied with something else at the time, you have an elevated chance of a negligent discharge, possibly of even shooting yourself. Get a holster that retains it's shape and that retains the firearm.

With something like the G27, you won't find anything that gives you a lot of purchase on the grip, especially if it's hidden in your waistline. Some are better than others. I believe Crossbreed makes what they call a "combat cut" that cuts away some of the backing material to expose the grip of your handgun. Depending on your girth, however, you may find that your torso prevents a good grip and that the backing is preferable. Many people find that wearing an undershirt beneath your shirt or top is preferable, to shield the weapon and provide a better surface for securing the weapon.

Insofar as the clips are concerned, I find something that actually locks onto the belt to be much more preferable. The metal clips that simply lay over the belt and provide some pressure on the belt are not sufficient. This is especially true if you wear a wide belt. Clips which tuck behind and under the belt, or over it and hook the belt securely, are best. Use something that keeps that holster in place.

Send the money necessary to have a quality holster, then spend the time to know it intimately. Do a lot of holster presentations (using an unloaded weapon), and carry it a lot to break it in and see if it works well for you. I like to wear a rig for a few days empty, just to get used to it, break it in a bit, and then put the firearm inside. Depending on the firearm, I'll sometimes carry it unchambered, and ensure that it can't be inadvertently discharged by carry, draw, or reholstering. I'll try it in different settings, sitting standing, moving around, before I ever trust it for actual carry. Make your equipment prove itself to you before you trust it.

cowboy1964
11-15-2011, 09:32
The Galco Walkabout has an integrated mag pouch but I don't know if it's available for the baby Glocks (it probably is) but I have one for my PM9 and it's very uncomfortable. You're better off carrying a spare mag in a separate pouch.

huggytree
11-15-2011, 17:31
bought the Galco Kingtuk.....im throwing out the $15 ebay one

thanks for the advice

does the IWB carry hurt when you sit in the car?

my OWB one doesnt sit right...its great while standing and walking, but cant get the right angle in the car...its a Bianchi black widow

Tx-SIG229
11-15-2011, 19:42
i use my g23 crossbreed to carry my 23, 19 and 27

sns3guppy
11-15-2011, 20:11
Depending on the holster arrangement, I've worn some inside the waistband holsters for ten or fifteen hours on cross-country drives without much difficulty. It depends on a number of factors, the holster only being one of them. More often than not, if it's a long drive and I'm driving alone, I'll put the firearm on the seat, or on my lap, or rest it between my legs, rather than leave it in the holster.

For extended wear, once you find a handgun and a rig that's comfortable for you, along with the right belt and the right attire, inside-the-waistband can be a very comfortable arrangement. With some rigs, I've found I feel a lot less comfortable when not wearing the firearm.

You may find that if you intend to carry inside your waistband, you'll need to shop for new pants and quite possibly a new belt. Whatever you carry often adds up to a half to full size larger on the waistband. Some firearms like 1911's or my Sig P239 are quite slim, and if one take care to use a slim holster, they're quite unobtrusive. Conversely, a P229 or something like my P2000SK are much wider (especially the HK, with it's dual slide-release levers), and do add to the bulk.

All things being equal, I like a concealed belt holster for comfort and ease of use, though that's not always possible, and requires an additional layer of garment in some cases to cover the firearm.

I find a lot of utility in ankle holsters under the right conditions, with firearms like the G27 and P2000SK.

High Noon
11-16-2011, 06:57
What you want is a combat grip.
http://www.highnoonholsters.com/_Questions/_questions.html#90

What you seem to have bought is a low ride holster.
http://www.highnoonholsters.com/_Questions/_questions.html#123

Your choice depends on your needs. We have many holsters from the simple (If thats your job) to the extreme duty (one handed reholstering etc etc)

Give us a call we will spend time with you and get you something that fits your needs. We go from the simple $25.00 to the extreme $300.00

Justin

stanley
11-16-2011, 10:51
Theis Holsters are real nice, and come in Horsehide or cowhide shipping included for a reasonable price, check them out, have one for my 26 and it works great and is comfortable