Fun with the GRX die! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Fun with the GRX die!

justinsaneok
11-14-2011, 19:37
Well I'm in the shed now because the little ones are roaming free around the house so I built a couple benches in the shed and bolted up my presses. It was long over due because of the move to a new house and being banished to the shed with my explosive products. I haven't loaded any or shot in three weeks:wow:. First on the agenda was to try my new $72 dollar GRX push thru die. Screw it into the old Lee and what? what? what? The carbide sizing ring is cracked and leaving a big scratch on the effortlessly sized Winchester brass. :faint: Midway said they would take care of it if Redding didn't. So I emailed Redding an hour ago than called Midway to tell them what was up. That's when they told me they would take care of it if Redding didn't. What should I expect done about this? Anyone have any experiences similar to mine?

Boxerglocker
11-14-2011, 20:15
Did you lube the brass prior to putting it through? I've heard several that have tried the GRX notice the appreciably higher force needed to pass the case through the die, even though carbide and advertised as not needing it. Sounds to me that lubing is essential.

FM12
11-14-2011, 20:29
Not familar with this particular die.

PCJim
11-14-2011, 20:52
I'd expect Redding to make it right - it's their cracked carbide ring. Either way, you've other reloading you can do in the mean time, right?

unclebob
11-15-2011, 08:24
Resizing the case first and lubing the case makes it a lot easier.

Hogpauls
11-15-2011, 08:44
Redding should make it right. That's great that Midway offered to take care of it if Redding didn't.

justinsaneok
11-16-2011, 13:56
The brass had a light shot of One Shot on it. I only lube them because everything is so easy when they are lubed. I want the choice to lube or not, that's why I spend twice as much for carbide. I think it was some kind of fluke. The tech at Redding said they go on vacation over the holidays I sent it yesterday ETA is the 17th. Hoping to see my replacement before 2012. I'll need it with the world ending and all again. Lol

Bob, I got the die for sizing the base before I run them thru the 550 with the Dillon dies. It won't solve my original problem of my dillon die being to much for my brass to take. Pushing out the bulge makes the brass almost pile up at the end of the dies reach. Don't want to take away the advantage of the progressive press by adding to many more steps. After everything I been doing It seems like I been spending all my damn time sorting and prepping cases. Last night I chamfered 1500 cases because Jim made me feel lazy because there's always something else to do. I should be smelting right now.

unclebob
11-16-2011, 15:50
The brass had a light shot of One Shot on it. I only lube them because everything is so easy when they are lubed. I want the choice to lube or not, that's why I spend twice as much for carbide. I think it was some kind of fluke. The tech at Redding said they go on vacation over the holidays I sent it yesterday ETA is the 17th. Hoping to see my replacement before 2012. I'll need it with the world ending and all again. Lol

Bob, I got the die for sizing the base before I run them thru the 550 with the Dillon dies. It won't solve my original problem of my dillon die being to much for my brass to take. Pushing out the bulge makes the brass almost pile up at the end of the dies reach. Don't want to take away the advantage of the progressive press by adding to many more steps. After everything I been doing It seems like I been spending all my damn time sorting and prepping cases. Last night I chamfered 1500 cases because Jim made me feel lazy because there's always something else to do. I should be smelting right now.

Understand it just makes it a lot easier if you size the case before and then lube. One of the big advantages of a 650 with case feeder.

justinsaneok
12-16-2011, 14:25
A week and a half or so after the die got there they sent me a new one along with a hat, sticker and 2 yes 2 catalogs. I got one case through it and the ring cracked! So now they told me to send it back AGAIN along with some brass. I guess they are thinking the brass is out of spec! lol. They seem to think there is no way the carbide rings are to small or the die that holds it is to big. So we will find out more next month. :upeyes:

dkf
12-16-2011, 17:09
Isn't the carbide ring tapered on the GRX die? Maybe the taper is the wrong way or something. If the brass was to "spec" there would be no reason to run it through a GRX or buldge buster setup.

justinsaneok
12-16-2011, 18:14
Isn't the carbide ring tapered on the GRX die? Maybe the taper is the wrong way or something. If the brass was to "spec" there would be no reason to run it through a GRX or buldge buster setup.

I know right! bahahaha and my dumb ass thought 72 bucks would fix the problem .
From Redding reloadings website

G-Rx Push Thru Base Sizing Die

The new G-Rx Carbide push thru base sizing die is designed to restore fired cases from 40 S&W autoloading pistols that exhibit a bulge near the base without the need for case lube. By passing the case completely through the new G-Rx Carbide Die, the bulge is removed and the case may be returned to service.

Midways ,
The G-Rx Carbide Base Sizing Die meets the need of the reloader needing to reload brass shot through some of the most popular autoloaders today. These autoloaders, when fired, produce a bulge at the bottom of the brass, which normal sizing dies can not reach and remove, rendering the brass unusable. Simply push the brass through the sizing die and the bulge in the web of the brass is removed. This step fully sizes the brass back within the accepted SAAMI specification for brass diameter. After the brass has been pushed through the die it may be resized in a standard sizing die allowing once unusable brass to be reloaded normally.

Technical Information

Notes
Carbide die does not require the use of case lubricant to resize the brass
The G-Rx die set comes packaged with a pusher rod which fits into the ram like a shell holder and the unique push through sizing die with lock ring.
To use simply place the brass on top of the pusher rod. Then raise the ram to push the brass entirely through the die. The resized brass is then held in a rebated portion of the die for easy removal.
An optional bottle (Product #471-996) and bottle adaptor (Product #789-703) are available. When these two accessories are combined they make collecting the sized brass very convenient speeding up the sizing process

Ya right !!
Item # 96150 (Includes Advanced Shellholder Pushrod) .........$102.30

dkf
12-16-2011, 18:19
Maybe the carbide ring is not supported very well (poor press fit) thus causing the cracked ring. Carbide is very strong when its supported but is brittle due to the hardness so without support it will crack.

You could always return the GRX and buy a Lee Bulge Buster. The Lee setup is quite a bit cheaper and has been around for a while.

justinsaneok
12-16-2011, 18:40
Maybe the carbide ring is not supported very well (poor press fit) thus causing the cracked ring. Carbide is very strong when its supported but is brittle due to the hardness so without support it will crack.

You could always return the GRX and buy a Lee Bulge Buster. The Lee setup is quite a bit cheaper and has been around for a while.

:wow: Someone else sees the problem too. The die body inside dimension is to large or the carbide rings outside dimension is to small. The second one they sent me left a smaller scratch after breaking meaning it is closer to right than the first one that left a huge gouge in it. It's really bothering me they wont send me a flippen new die till I send them the old one. They need to send me ten of them so I can find one that works and I'll send the broken ones and any good ones back to them. I just want one that works. I guess trust only goes one way. The way of me trusting them with a credit card number.

justinsaneok
12-16-2011, 20:51
Looks like the Lee carbide die and the bulge buster would be 32 bucks !

dkf
12-16-2011, 21:05
Yeah the BB kit and .40 FCD is only around $30 which isn't bad. From factory sales its around $29 plus shipping. You could buy both those and the Lee "Reloader" Press for less than the GRX die alone.

https://fsreloading.com/html/xcart/catalog/index.html