How does the Stag upper compare to Spikes? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : How does the Stag upper compare to Spikes?

M&P Shooter
11-14-2011, 21:14
Spikes uppers are sold out forever it seems like so I want to just order this upper. Is this a good quality upper?

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Stag-Arms-16-M4-Upper-Receiver-Group-p/stag%20model%202h.htm

Eurodriver
11-14-2011, 21:30
I'm lost. Why are you looking at the Stag?

For just a few dollars more (literally, $54) you could get a BCM on the same website that is lightyears ahead in quality.

For the record, I used to own that exact Stag Arms upper. It was a great upper and with an Eotech I could reliably nail steel at 330 yards....but for fifty bucks more why not get the better one?

Also, consider looking at a midlength gas system. It provides a better (longer) platform with which to rest the handguards if firing from behind a barrier.

txgunguy
11-14-2011, 22:12
My spike's midlength will be here tomorrow. Ordered it friday night. You just have to know where to look :tongueout:

mixflip
11-15-2011, 01:59
You can still get a Stag upper with all the "top tier" features that a BCM has. Just pay $75 more for them.

http://www.stagarms.com/information.php?info_id=13

Eurodriver
11-15-2011, 05:18
You can still get a Stag upper with all the "top tier" features that a BCM has. Just pay $75 more for them.

http://www.stagarms.com/information.php?info_id=13

...or he can pay $54 more and get a Bravo Company model.

contax_shooter
11-15-2011, 06:49
Stag Arms is good to go.

I must admit my Stag 16" carbine upper was replaced by a BCM 14.5" lightweight mid-length.
Check out GR Tactical for different BCM upper configurations you can go with.

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?search=action&category=BCOM

M&P Shooter
11-15-2011, 08:00
Ok I found a Spikes 16" upper in stock and placed order. I called first to make sure they were really in stock. I did 2 day UPS and she ships out today:supergrin: Now my whole AR 15 is Spikes and Magpul:cool:

ddbtoth
11-15-2011, 16:45
I doubt if the Spikes, Stag, or BCM, or what ever, will let you down. I wanted a good, reliable carbine, and settled for the BCM HFB 16" upper on a Mega receiver with PSA LPK and LMT BCG, magpul furniture . Really doubt if my Bushmaster upper/Stag lower M4orgery will crater and explode any time soon. I just wanted to put one together with what most consider to be real good parts. It's all what you feel is good for you, what you've heard and seen to be what you want. Don't worry about "Tier 1" crap, I really doubt you will break it.

M&P Shooter
11-15-2011, 16:54
My Spikes upper has shipped:supergrin: I feel like a virgin on prom night:supergrin:

cciman
11-15-2011, 17:10
What is it about one complete upper with the same profile, that makes it worth $55 more?

bluejackets92fs
11-15-2011, 17:14
I've had very good luck with my Spikes Gear. Everything on my 16" midlength lightweight is Spikes except the parts kit and it is Daniel Defense. 500 flawless rounds. Just barely broken in.

Eurodriver
11-15-2011, 18:25
What is it about one complete upper with the same profile, that makes it worth $55 more?

Barrel steel, bolt steel, quality control, barrel twist rate, all things you think are "unsubstantiated".

Cole125
11-15-2011, 18:44
Ok I found a Spikes 16" upper in stock and placed order. I called first to make sure they were really in stock. I did 2 day UPS and she ships out today:supergrin: Now my whole AR 15 is Spikes and Magpul:cool:

Congrats! :cool: Be sure to post pics when your done with the build.

What optic did you decide to go with?

M&P Shooter
11-15-2011, 18:59
Congrats! :cool: Be sure to post pics when your done with the build.

What optic did you decide to go with?
It has the F marked front sight post and I have a Troy rear flip up battle sight. I have not decided on a optic yet, doing tons of research on red dots right now. I'm leaning towards EOTech so far.

Fwdftw
11-15-2011, 19:53
why eotech if you dont mind me asking?

M&P Shooter
11-15-2011, 21:48
why eotech if you dont mind me asking?
Military and civilian AR owners give them good reviews.

Cole125
11-15-2011, 23:33
It has the F marked front sight post and I have a Troy rear flip up battle sight. I have not decided on a optic yet, doing tons of research on red dots right now. I'm leaning towards EOTech so far.

Troy battle sights are some of the best rear flip ups you can get, good choice.

I have both a EOTech 512 and a Aimpoint Comp M2, and I like the Aimpoint more. More rugged, durable, and the battery life is so long its a non issue.

Both are good, I give Aimpoint the edge.

mixflip
11-16-2011, 01:37
My Spikes upper has shipped:supergrin: I feel like a virgin on prom night:supergrin:

LOL... I have a great response but I'd probably get another infraction?

Lee-online
11-16-2011, 19:28
I think you'll like the spikes.

As for the optic, I looked at all the common ones and decided on an Aimpoint H1 or T1. After a killa deal group buy on afrcom for the H1 I purchased that. It should be here in a few days.