What are the top five tools to keep on hand for general 'smithing? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : What are the top five tools to keep on hand for general 'smithing?

Kadetklapp
11-15-2011, 06:56
I'm getting more and more confident in my home gunsmithing. I'd like to get a good set of tools instead of making due with ordinary mechanics tools. I see lots of expensive (and inexpensive) sets on the net and in CTD, but what do I really need to do basic stripping/parts replacement on most semi-autos, revolvers, and shotguns? I also own a Mini and an AR, which I know the AR requires some of it's own stuff.

Breadman03
11-15-2011, 09:18
I picked up a Wheeler screwdriver set, rubber mallet, Allen wrenches, and punches. The 3/32 punch gets the most use, but wasn't in the locally available sets.

I went inexpensive. Most inexpensive tools will get the job done and I upgrade to high quality when necessary.

Japle
11-15-2011, 11:56
1. A padded vice. A pretty big one.

2. A set of punches, pin and roll pin and drifts, steel, Nylon and brass.

3. A set of hammers and mallets.

4. A set of high-quality files.

5. A set of high-quality screwdrivers.

6. A set of good stones.

7. (If you have some spare cash) A small to medium high-quality lathe, milling machine and drill press combination.

Grey Goblin
11-16-2011, 08:43
In addition to what others have suggested, a high-resolution digital camera.

Taking pictures along the way can help you see how things are supposed go back together, and, if you need help from others on the web, a picture really can be worth a thousand words.

MrSypher
11-16-2011, 09:03
1. A padded vice. A pretty big one.

2. A set of punches, pin and roll pin and drifts, steel, Nylon and brass.

3. A set of hammers and mallets.

4. A set of high-quality files.

5. A set of high-quality screwdrivers.

6. A set of good stones.

7. (If you have some spare cash) A small to medium high-quality lathe, milling machine and drill press combination.

Also a good quality strap wrench & a set of "Starter" Roll Pin Punches (the ends are hollowed out so it's a breeze to get any Roll Pin in place)

Adjuster
11-16-2011, 09:12
I like the sets of small precision metal files that come with around 10 files with all different angles and curves. Harbor Freight less than $10.00.

Correct screwdriver set. This is a must have and must be gunsmith specific.
Small punch set.
Small brass hammer.
Small file set.

With this you can do anything. That is until you start looking at specialty items like sight pusher tools etc.

Adjuster
11-16-2011, 09:13
http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=wheeler+gunsmithing&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=7158829419&ref=pd_sl_c5wyy6s6e_b

JBaird22
11-16-2011, 19:46
I agree with a gunsmith specific screwdriver set. Just don't get brownells. While the handle is great, I have broken two bits while barely turning them. I'm just not a fan.

Ball peen hammer, roll pin and regular punches, a small pliers and patience.

Japle
11-17-2011, 14:27
Remember the three basic rules of gunsmithing:

1. If it doesn’t fit, force it.
2. Fit is a function of velocity.
3. Force = Mass times Acceleration.

Bushflyr
11-18-2011, 19:12
Dremel
Dremel
Dremel
Dremel
Bandaids.

VN350X10
11-24-2011, 12:57
Just remember.....
Dremel Moto-Tools & WD-40 have enabled more gunsmith's children to go to college than any other items.....

When dad had to fix a customer's screw-ups !

Screwdrivers : Brownell's, the new larger set. The Wheeler set is a hobby tool at best.
Punches : Starrett is tops. For brass punches, various sizes of brazing rod are hard to beat & inexpensive. DO get special roll-pin punches. Saves aggrivation.
Hammers : Get on a lathe & make your own, good practice.
Files : Nichloson and/or Grobet, most other are junk.
Vise : Wilton is tops, buy the American made ones thou.
Small vise : Time for milling machine practice here !
Torque Wrench : The Wheeler "Fat Wrench" is a best buy, needed for scope mounting & tightening actions into stocks for best accuracy.
Pliers : Bite the bullet, find a dealer & get Snap-On, their quality is worth the inflated price....(damn)
Add/Make other special tools as needed, when you make it yourself, you appreciate it more & it adds satisfaction to the job !
Remember:
Never get frustrated, if it was built, it can be repaired. A bigger hammer ISN'T the answer (in most cases).

uncle albert