Colt or nothing!!!1!!!1!!!!!! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Colt or nothing!!!1!!!1!!!!!!

bluejackets92fs
11-15-2011, 12:50
I never understood this attitude in the Black Rifle community. I agree Colt rifles are very proven but I can not stand the attitude of Colt guys any more. For the record I own 2 Colts and some built rifles.

Singlestack Wonder
11-15-2011, 12:52
and the point of you post is?

Cruiser1
11-15-2011, 13:12
My AR is such and Mut and Jeff of parts that I can not comment on anyone elses choices and it goes bang every time I pull the trigger. Each to his own as far as I am concerned.

humanguerrilla
11-15-2011, 13:14
It used to be an easier attitude to defend. There are more and more quality milspec and better than spec options now.

I check out a few local pawn shops every so often to see if there is anything interesting. Some folks that know guns and some that don't know will pay ridiculous prices for a colt ar15.

GSSF17
11-15-2011, 14:52
....... and some that don't know will pay ridiculous prices for a colt ar15.

Like the idiot that gave me $1350 for my 6920 with a bushnell red dot?

Yep. :thumbsup:

Gunnut 45/454
11-15-2011, 15:43
humanguerrilla
Yep and you pay dearly for that -supposed extra milspec! With the prices coming down on Colts they are away better buy then ever. Why would someone pay $400-500 more for something that might not be any better! Just because it has the cool name?:faint:

bluejackets92fs
11-15-2011, 16:32
humanguerrilla
Yep and you pay dearly for that -supposed extra milspec! With the prices coming down on Colts they are away better buy then ever. Why would someone pay $400-500 more for something that might not be any better! Just because it has the cool name?:faint:
I understand from a collectors standpoint. Especially with the LE plant closing it's doors. The LE guns will be worth a pretty penny in a few years even in fired condition kind of like the Pythons. I just still don't understand why people swear by them from a "gold standard" mindset. Plenty of manufacturers are on par with them now days. Lets see, 1200 for an LE Colt or 950 for BCM or Spikes Tactical? I'd be comfortable with either in all honesty. I am however buying a 6920 tomorrow. Because I can.

mvician
11-15-2011, 17:33
Especially with the LE plant closing it's doors.

The LE plant ? :rofl:

The LE roll mark was discontinued, that is all. Colt didn't shut down a "plant".

:faint:

Top_Shot_31
11-15-2011, 17:50
I understand from a collectors standpoint. Especially with the LE plant closing it's doors. The LE guns will be worth a pretty penny in a few years even in fired condition kind of like the Pythons. I just still don't understand why people swear by them from a "gold standard" mindset. Plenty of manufacturers are on par with them now days. Lets see, 1200 for an LE Colt or 950 for BCM or Spikes Tactical? I'd be comfortable with either in all honesty. I am however buying a 6920 tomorrow. Because I can.

Or, $945 for a Colt.

http://dsgarms.com/ProductInfo/CO6920-OB.aspx

faawrenchbndr
11-15-2011, 17:57
Holy crap,.......the ***** is gettin deep!:whistling:
Get a flippin clue before you embarrass yourself any more! :rofl:

Glockdude1
11-15-2011, 18:13
Or, $945 for a Colt.

Been a long time since I have seen the price for a 6920 that low.

I'll stick with my Bushy.

:thumbsup:

MikeinCincy
11-15-2011, 18:20
I purchased an LE6940 about a year or so ago. I could have spent "$400-$500" less and perhaps gotten a solid gun. But, the additional few hundred bucks spread out over the life of the gun comes to pennies. I tend to pay up for quality.

Randolph da man
11-15-2011, 18:23
I never understood this attitude in the Black Rifle community. I agree Colt rifles are very proven but I can not stand the attitude of Colt guys any more. For the record I own 2 Colts and some built rifles.

http://schoolco.com/images/poster/384112.gif

Cole125
11-15-2011, 18:52
Colts are good, always have been. Fact is MANY guys pay the extra money for them just for the Colt name.

There are many options these days that are just as good for less money, anyone who knows anything about ARs knows this.

samuse
11-15-2011, 21:27
Colts are good, always have been. Fact is MANY guys pay the extra money for them just for the Colt name.

There are many options these days that are just as good for less money, anyone who knows anything about ARs knows this.

Silly as it may sound... It's just hard for some peope to take you seriously when your lower has a snake or a pirate or a spider or whatever on it. It looks like a cobbled together clunker out of the bargain bin at Harbor Freight.

Believe it or not, there are a lot of organizations and shooters out there who don't sit around on the internet waiting for Rob_S to update his spreadsheet. :rofl:

bluejackets92fs
11-15-2011, 22:25
The LE plant ? :rofl:

The LE roll mark was discontinued, that is all. Colt didn't shut down a "plant".

:faint:

Wait so you mean that the Sporter models are built to the same specs as the LE ones? That's like saying Military Hummers are built to the same specs as my H2 is. It is a completely separate facility. Maybe not shutting down but for the civilian market it is. So yes, the LE "plant" is no more for civilians.

M&P Shooter
11-15-2011, 22:35
OMG Colt sucks, made by DPMS and trigger springs are made from Barbie doll hair pins recycled. Colt is made by small Vietnamese children in a small hut in the jungle and they get paid $2.00 a day and beat 4X a day. Now remember you read this on the internet so it's all true and I know what the hell I'm talking about because I post on a gun forum and my avatar is cool!

fnfalman
11-16-2011, 01:01
People can say what they will, but a Colt will always be worth more than something else.

Does that mean they'd chuck lead downrange better than other makes? Nope.

But when it's all said and done, Colt products are more desirable.

How many other arms manufacturers have made just as good or better guns than Colts throughout the decades (dare I say centuries?)? How many of them still around? And whether or not their marques are desirable?

There's a reason why Colt and Smith&Wesson are household names throughout the world, and it ain't all hypes.

mixflip
11-16-2011, 01:33
I buy "features" not "roll marks".

faawrenchbndr
11-16-2011, 01:49
I buy "features" not "roll marks".

:thumbsup:

CAcop
11-16-2011, 06:55
Wait so you mean that the Sporter models are built to the same specs as the LE ones? That's like saying Military Hummers are built to the same specs as my H2 is. It is a completely separate facility. Maybe not shutting down but for the civilian market it is. So yes, the LE "plant" is no more for civilians.

There has not been a true mil-spec rifle sold by Colt to non-LE/non-mil since 1986. As far as I am concerned it isn't true mil-spec until it is select fire and has a 14.5 barrel. No LE6920 is going to be accepted by the military. I don't care is Sam Colt and Eugene Stoner come back from the dead and annoint it with oil it is not the same.

Now that we have that out of the way. Read more about what happened at Colt. They essentially realigned the factory based on reality. There is no sense in making non select fire weapons right next to select fire weapons. Like my Colt aromorer instructor pointed out Colt's priorities are military first, then everyone else. Why not align the factory in a similar way?

ArmoryDoc
11-16-2011, 07:22
I buy Colt, which has features. Colt is worth the green in my book. It will always have better resale than most other stamps IF I ever decide to move it along. I have no plans to though and having said that, I know it will do everything I need it to and then some.

Happy Colt fanboy here.

BTW, I also own a BCM.

mvician
11-16-2011, 10:04

Quit being so F'ing stupid.

They all roll off of the same line. Only the rollmark has changed. The rifle is still built to the same standard whether is is for .mil or leo or even us regular civies.

mvician
11-16-2011, 10:06
OMG Colt sucks, made by DPMS and trigger springs are made from Barbie doll hair pins recycled. Colt is made by small Vietnamese children in a small hut in the jungle and they get paid $2.00 a day and beat 4X a day. Now remember you read this on the internet so it's all true and I know what the hell I'm talking about because I post on a gun forum and my avatar is cool!

no offense but

read more.........post less.

M&P Shooter
11-16-2011, 10:16
no offense but

read more.........post less.
I was being sarcastic:upeyes:

Gunnut 45/454
11-16-2011, 10:40
See this is what kills me - Isn't the holy grail "Chart " based on the Colt? So if you want a number one rated "Chart" AR why not just get what the 'Chart" is based on? I mean really every thing else is just trying to be a Colt.:rofl:

mvician
11-16-2011, 10:48
I was being sarcastic:upeyes:

Yes I know, but your comments only added to the mob mentality.

mvician
11-16-2011, 10:50
See this is what kills me - Isn't the holy grail "Chart " based on the Colt? So if you want a number one rated "Chart" AR why not just get what the 'Chart" is based on? I mean really every thing else is just trying to be a Colt.:rofl:

and this is what kills me......people that have to mock what someone has done for the AR15 community. What have you done?

txgunguy
11-16-2011, 10:52
Silly as it may sound... It's just hard for some peope to take you seriously when your lower has a snake or a pirate or a spider or whatever on it. It looks like a cobbled together clunker out of the bargain bin at Harbor Freight.

Believe it or not, there are a lot of organizations and shooters out there who don't sit around on the internet waiting for Rob_S to update his spreadsheet. :rofl:

What does that even mean? Roll marks are for fun. Lighten up a little.

M&P15T
11-16-2011, 11:07
I cannot believe how worked-up people get over their rifles, and I would marry mine if I could legally do that....well......actually I'd marry my car.

mgs
11-16-2011, 11:11

I own two Colts also and they are NOT as nice as my other four AR's I've built. LMT, Spikes, Bushmaster, Amalite all work perfect for me, Mike.

Jr.
11-16-2011, 15:12
My new LE6520 was $875ish and my new LE6920 was $995. Don't see how they're over priced?? Now if you pay $1300+ you over paid.

faawrenchbndr
11-16-2011, 17:14

Ya really need to get a clue, and quit talking out your arse! :rofl:

samuse
11-16-2011, 18:08
What does that even mean? Roll marks are for fun. Lighten up a little.

I don't know where all you've been (seriously) but there are a lot of instructors / shooters out there who get tired of seeing home-built stuff fail and hold up their classes. They have no desire to build an AR as cheap as they can and then try to prove it's "just as good as" a top tier gun.

The two most known and respected brands are Colt and LMT. Maybe Daniel Defense. Pretty much everything else gets classified as a boutique gun or a kitchen table build.

Those aren't my personal opinions, but just what I've seen shooting with guys who are professionals.

And from what I've seen, those opinions aren't unwarranted. I've repeatedly watched Bushmasters, Rock Rivers, frankenguns, 6.8s and every piston gun except for 416s utterly fail when they get run hard.

M&P Shooter
11-16-2011, 18:24
Yes I know, but your comments only added to the mob mentality.
Yeah well I have a Delton AR with 500,000 rounds through it with 0 hiccups and my Colt AR blew up in my hand after 1000 rounds....Dam you Colt:steamed:

:tongueout::rofl:

bluejackets92fs
11-16-2011, 18:25
Didn't mean to stir the hornets nest. My post was only in reference that Colt guys/gals act like unless you are shooting Colt, then you are an inferior species. It just seemed to me that MOST Colt shooters act like their ***** don't stink.

I did however buy a LE6920 today NIB for $1121 out the door, tax, title, and registration.

Andrewsky
11-16-2011, 19:18
Didn't mean to stir the hornets nest. My post was only in reference that Colt guys/gals act like unless you are shooting Colt, then you are an inferior species. It just seemed to me that MOST Colt shooters act like their ***** don't stink.

I did however buy a LE6920 today NIB for $1121 out the door, tax, title, and registration.

I guess 50 years of manufacturing experience counts for nothing.

glock031
11-16-2011, 19:46

I think you got it all wrong. I know what your trying to say. Believe me they are NOT colt guys that insulted you over there. How could they be colt guys when they hate the m203 cut in barrel and the carbine gas system. Read some colt forums and those guys don't be-little other brands. I think you got the bcm whores mixed up thinking they are colt guys. Cause they are the typicals that downtalk most other brands and are know it alls. :tongueout:

bluejackets92fs
11-16-2011, 19:59
I think you got it all wrong. I know what your trying to say. Believe me they are NOT colt guys that insulted you over there. How could they be colt guys when they hate the m203 cut in barrel and the carbine gas system. Read some colt forums and those guys don't be-little other brands. I think you got the bcm whores mixed up thinking they are colt guys. Cause they are the typicals that downtalk most other brands and are know it alls. :tongueout:

You mean like M4carbine.net? Those guys are brutal. If you don't own Colt or BCM you may as well burn to death. God forbid you mention Spikes Tactical.

Gunnut 45/454
11-16-2011, 21:07
mvician
Is the Chart not based on the Colt Mil spec's? Please show me where I'm wrong.:whistling:

faawrenchbndr
And how am I talk out my arse? As I asked MVCIAN is not the Chart base on the Colt Mil Spec's . I say this with all honesty fellow USAF ret.:supergrin:

Feanor
11-16-2011, 21:16

:upeyes:

Feanor
11-16-2011, 21:19
I own two Colts also and they are NOT as nice as my other four AR's I've built. LMT, Spikes, Bushmaster, Amalite all work perfect for me, Mike.

There goes any credibility you might once have held. I mean really, Bushmaster & Spikes! better then Colt's? :rofl:

bmoore
11-16-2011, 21:51

I think you hit the nail on the head. The BCM queens are the worst, like horrible. BCM I am sure makes fantastic stuff, but the worship status make me have a stroke. The other one that drives me insane is the Larry Vickers god like worship, Im certain the guy knows his stuff and is a very competent istructor and his class's benefit folks but man its out of control. Im waiting for them to come out with a Larry Vickers combat Ipad case just so I can watch the hysteria.

"um yeah ive got a sore throat and fever, what should I do?" "you need a BCM middy for that"

glock031
11-16-2011, 22:14
"um yeah ive got a sore throat and fever, what should I do?" "you need a BCM middy for that"

:rofl:

txgunguy
11-16-2011, 22:23
I don't know where all you've been (seriously) but there are a lot of instructors / shooters out there who get tired of seeing home-built stuff fail and hold up their classes. They have no desire to build an AR as cheap as they can and then try to prove it's "just as good as" a top tier gun.

The two most known and respected brands are Colt and LMT. Maybe Daniel Defense. Pretty much everything else gets classified as a boutique gun or a kitchen table build.

Those aren't my personal opinions, but just what I've seen shooting with guys who are professionals.

And from what I've seen, those opinions aren't unwarranted. I've repeatedly watched Bushmasters, Rock Rivers, frankenguns, 6.8s and every piston gun except for 416s utterly fail when they get run hard.

The roll mark is on the lower, correct? Show me where a pirate, snake, zombie roll mark has caused a rifle to have a malfunction. A lower does not have to say Colt or LMT to keep your rifle running well. Lets be realistic here. I think we are talking about 2 different things.

The parts of an AR that matter the most are the barrel and BCG. Use quality stuff there and I really doubt a roll mark will make a difference.

ETA: Quality magazines and lubrication have alot to do with stoppages as well.

11-16-2011, 22:52
and the point of you post is? -----------------------> :deadhorse:

Another locked thread in the making.

surf
11-16-2011, 22:59
I am not a Colt snob by any stretch, but I am also not ignorant either. Having said that.....

- Colt is the standard that everyone measures their rifles up against and for very good reasons. Not saying that it isn't possible to surpass these standards but Colt is THE benchmark to either meet or beat. Very few meet that standard and even less surpass it. When someone says that their rifle is just as good as a Colt? 99% of the time they are not either stupid or full of ****.

- The people who prefer Colt rifles are not the in the majority of the whiners out there. Who are the ones that do the most whining? Those who piss and moan the most are the ones who are trying to justify or qualify their purchase, when there is zero need to do this. Understand your uses and be happy with what you purchase, but don't think that a lower quality rifle is "just as good as". Your sample of one might be the diamond in the rough, but overall top quality manufacturers have their stellar reputations for a reason. And that reason is because they churn out rifles year, after year, after year, with boring reliability in manufacture.

- There are very few "Mil-Spec" rifles. They are only produced by manufacturers who have military contracts, whose parts, manufacture and testing procedures meet said standards and finally, NOTHING and I mean NOTHING is Mil-Spec until it is inspected by .gov inspectors under such contract. So yes even Colt produces rifles that are NOT Mil-Spec.

- The "Chart" was NOT based off of Colt rifles. It was based off of known aspects of this rifle be it materials, or manufacture process that gives this platform of rifle the best known recipe for reliability of function and longevity. It just so happens that the US Gov adopted most of those aspects and required that anyone making this platform of rifle adhere to such standards. Colt having such a contract does just that. There are also other items on the Chart that are also preferable but is not just done by Colt. FWIW, Colt is not the only one producing parts or weapons under contract.

The "Chart" in and of itself is a fantastic resource for those looking for certain features in a weapon. It has also driven other manufacturers to produce rifles to a much better standard, while often charging just as much as they used to charge for their older crappier rifles. It has pretty much helped to "educate" the consumer and stop many slimy companies from preying on ignorant consumers, which they were doing for a long long time.

- Thinking that those over at m4carbine only think that you can "burn to death" for not owning a Colt or a BCM is utter BS. No one cares over there if you buy a budget rifle for punching paper. Just don't go around crying that your budget rifle is just as good as something else, when it clearly is not. It might work well for your needs, but just be aware of what your needs / uses are for the weapon and be realistic about your purchase. Again the biggest whiners about the AR/M4 platform are those who are attempting to justify their purchase. There is no need to do this.

matthewluber
11-16-2011, 23:03
I bought a 6920 because....I wanted a colt. Yea, I overpaid for it since I bought it at a local shop, but it works well for me.

What most people don't understand is that it comes down to your preferences and what you really want to buy.

I had a friend call me for gun advice the other night asking if he should buy a bushmaster for $900ish at wal-mart and I told him that I wouldn't. I'm just not willing to pay that much for a bushmaster. My opinion.

That said, I don't really think that colt holds so much of a higher standard over everyone else that they are the end-all AR style rifle out there.

Buy what you want and shoot it. If it breaks, fix or replace it.

My 2 cents. Which really were free. (And worth about that much).

vrex
11-16-2011, 23:24
I wanted a Colt 6920 for a long time, when it came time to buy I went with an Armalite mid length. Why? Well for me it was just more of what I wanted. I liked the mid length gas system, and I feel it is perfect for 16 inch barrels (the carbine gas system was made for 14.5 and lower)

Both Colt and Armalite have mil spec barrel steel, M4 feed ramps, H buffer, excellent triggers, incredible receiver to upper fit (my Armalite is really tight), I put an LMT bolt in the Armalite and I am good to go. I consider it a top tier rifle, and do not consider its 1/9 twist to be a hindrance (It's what I wanted, since I shoot 55-62 grain.

That being said, I still want a Colt!

faawrenchbndr
11-17-2011, 02:05
Guess youmissed the ROFL?

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c341/faawrenchbndr/m4chartbutthurt.jpg

samuse
11-17-2011, 06:37
The roll mark is on the lower, correct? Show me where a pirate, snake, zombie roll mark has caused a rifle to have a malfunction. A lower does not have to say Colt or LMT to keep your rifle running well. Lets be realistic here. I think we are talking about 2 different things.

The parts of an AR that matter the most are the barrel and BCG. Use quality stuff there and I really doubt a roll mark will make a difference.

ETA: Quality magazines and lubrication have alot to do with stoppages as well.

I think we may be talking about two different things.

I know that as long as a gun is in spec and properly assembled with quality parts, it'll run.

I'm talking about brand recogniton within a community. Colt and LMT have it, others not so much.

crazymoose
11-17-2011, 06:58
The chart is based on the TDP. We know Colt adheres to it because they have government inspectors ensuring that they adhere to it.

ETA: Nevermind, Surf beat me to the punch on this one.

bmoore
11-17-2011, 09:10
Guess youmissed the ROFL?

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c341/faawrenchbndr/m4chartbutthurt.jpg

That sign is a off the mark a little. Internet commandos are the ones wrapped up in the chart. The people who laugh at the chart are people who just enjoy shooting. Sorry but I had to correct the facts. Enjoy your rifles and carry on.

brisk21
11-17-2011, 09:42
Its funny how Colt AR-15s are "top tier" and the standard by which all others are measured but their 1911s are pretty much mid-tier.

Glockdude1
11-17-2011, 10:45
Its funny how Colt AR-15s are "top tier" and the standard by which all others are measured but their 1911s are pretty much mid-tier.

Colt's were "top tier" in the 80's, but not now.

:cool:

K. Foster
11-17-2011, 10:57

Since you used 12 exclamation points and two 1's in your title:upeyes: it appears that you got your feelings hurt in another thread and decided to lash out here. You claim most Colt owners are snobs and act like their **** doesn’t stink. Yet, you bought one.... Does this mean you are now a snob who’s **** doesn’t stink and have been elevated up from “inferior species”?
Anyone else see a contradiction here?

Bluejacket, you got a nice carbine, go out and shoot it.:supergrin:

Fireman1291
11-17-2011, 11:17
Colts are good for what they are but i've seen some strange QC issues with them. I'd take a Noveske over a Colt any day. Of course Id like a 6920 for my wifes trunk and for the collectors value.

boomhower
11-17-2011, 20:26
I like colt and would like to own one one day. But I also prefer light weight barrels and the midlength gas system. Until they expand their offerings I'll stick with DD.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

bluejackets92fs
11-17-2011, 21:08
Since you used 12 exclamation points and two 1's in your title:upeyes: it appears that you got your feelings hurt in another thread and decided to lash out here. You claim most Colt owners are snobs and act like their **** doesn’t stink. Yet, you bought one.... Does this mean you are now a snob who’s **** doesn’t stink and have been elevated up from “inferior species”?
Anyone else see a contradiction here?

Bluejacket, you got a nice carbine, go out and shoot it.:supergrin:

I own now 3 Colts. That doesn't mean anything. It just seems that MOST Colt owners have to find the bad in any brand other than their beloved pony guns. I just never understood why this attitude exist in the gun community.

On a side note, I am going Saturday to put some rounds through the new 6920. Needs an Aimpoint though.:supergrin:

Colts are good for what they are but i've seen some strange QC issues with them. I'd take a Noveske over a Colt any day. Of course Id like a 6920 for my wifes trunk and for the collectors value.

That is actually why I bought this one. I need a collectors gun. Only other one I have is a Winchester Model 1873 in 32-20 or something goofy like that. It hasn't seen a round in a long time and I don't even know if it is shootable. Last I checked in 50% condition they pull some serious coin.

faawrenchbndr
11-18-2011, 02:03
I own now 3 Colts. That doesn't mean anything. It just seems that MOST Colt owners have to find the bad in any brand other than their beloved pony guns. I just never understood why this attitude exist in the gun community.

All guys do this, we have since birth!
He who dies with the most & best toys wins!

wayne in boca
11-19-2011, 06:09
All I know is that I had a Bushmaster and a DPMS for years and I sucked.Then I got a Colt 6920 and now I am way cool and jiggy-with-it.:cool:

engineer151515
11-19-2011, 07:00
You don't have to have "Colt" to have a nice AR any more than you need "Colt" to have a nice 1911.

It's not like Colt invented either of them.

conch27
11-19-2011, 07:18
You don't have to have "Colt" to have a nice AR any more than you need "Colt" to have a nice 1911.

Good point.

I like colts a lot and consider them the standard. You can not go wrong with a colt.

I personally favor Vltor and Noveske but that is just me.

At the range it never seems to matter what the brand name on your rifle is. They all just seem to run and run.

fnfalman
11-19-2011, 14:36

Armalite and Eugene Stoner invented the AR15. However Colt, US Army Board of Ordnance and JMB invented the M1911.

Say what you will the standard for a decent AR or M1911 is still Colt.

Eurodriver
11-19-2011, 15:31
Armalite and Eugene Stoner invented the AR15. However Colt, US Army Board of Ordnance and JMB invented the M1911.

Say what you will the standard for a decent AR or M1911 is still Colt.

I sure as hell never saw a DPMS, Shrubmaster, or Stag Arms M4 in Iraq. But I did see plenty of Colts and FNs.

Some PSD guys had BCMs and Noveskes, but thats it as far as brands go.

RyanNREMTP
11-19-2011, 16:43
As with any popular brand, a lot of your money is spent on the name and name alone. Look at sunglasses, watches, shoes and the list goes on.

I personally love my Colt. Would I recommend one to someone? Not without finding out why they need an AR. No point in spending the extra money for something you are just punching paper with. But then there are so many ARs out there that a Colt might not be a match for everyone.

I say if you are happy with the rifle, then who the heck cares what others think.

craig19
11-19-2011, 19:19
I sure as hell never saw a DPMS, Shrubmaster, or Stag Arms M4 in Iraq. But I did see plenty of Colts and FNs.

That could be because the US Military has only contracted Colt and FN to build their M-16s/M-4s:dunno:

Personally I don't give two turds what the mercs carry, the Ugandans carried AKs.

Eurodriver
11-19-2011, 19:35
That could be because the US Military has only contracted Colt and FN to build their M-16s/M-4s:dunno:

Personally I don't give two turds what the mercs carry, the Ugandans carried AKs.

Precisely.

It has nothing to do with me liking Colt for Colt. It has to do with the fact that Colt holds itself to a standard that DPMS and its ilk do not.

If DPMS had the military contract and built all of its rifles to specifications called out for in the TDP, I would be sitting here saying that DPMS is the way to go.

off road
11-19-2011, 20:04
I have a safe full of Colt AR's, that have all served me well for decades! My son wants one, and he will be getting a new Colt....seeing that we can buy 3 of them for the price of one SCAR.

engineer151515
11-19-2011, 20:44

Well, the Army BoA authorized testing of competitive designs, if that's what you mean.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M1911_pistol

bmoore
11-19-2011, 21:34

Shoulda had M1A's.

Bodyarmorguy
11-19-2011, 21:43
humanguerrilla

For the same reason that we spend more for the Tag Heuer or Rolex instead of the Seiko or Invicta. For the same reason that we spend more for the Audi, BMW or Mercedes instead of the Hyundai or Kia. Pay more for the Under Armour shirt than the Russell brand, Jack Daniels vs Old Grand Dad.....the list goes on and on. We are a brand driven society.

HAIL CAESAR
11-19-2011, 21:52

I agree. Their is likely a Hi-Point carried by some Mercenary overseas, so why do I care what they carry.

fnfalman
11-20-2011, 02:38
Well, the Army BoA authorized testing of competitive designs, if that's what you mean.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M1911_pistol

Sure, there were some competitive designs but the Board of Ordnance specifically worked with Colt and JMB to improve the gun until the finalized model M1911 was reached. There's a reason why there were Colt 1905, 1907, 1909 chambered in .45 auto cartridges of various sorts and the 1909 was chambered in the M1911 ball round before the finalization of the M1911 pistol.

But hey, go ahead and use wikipedia as an authoritative source...

BTW, there were cries of bias made by other gun manufacturers because Colt was pretty much the shooed-in manufacturer back then just like Beretta was accused of as well. It just showed that the losers always hated the winners.

engineer151515
11-20-2011, 06:43
But hey, go ahead and use wikipedia as an authoritative source...

I'd be happy to read yours . . . had you provided one.

Dutch1911
11-25-2011, 08:36
It has been my determination that some folks talk way too much about things they know very little about. It's great to complain... But get yer gosh dern facts straight boy!

Dutch1911
1/*
Colt/Remington/Glock Armorer

- I'll buy a colt all day long...

bmoore
11-25-2011, 09:16
It has been my determination that some folks talk way too much about things they know very little about. It's great to complain... But get yer gosh dern facts straight boy!

Dutch1911
1/*
Colt/Remington/Glock Armorer

- I'll buy a colt all day long...

congrats on your 10th post

officerjohnson
11-25-2011, 20:29
Fanboyism is always annoying. I prefer General Motors, but when Ford makes a decent product, I will admit it, Im still waiting BTW.

But really, there are tons of good ARs, it isnt exactly roclket science to make them, some have better quality control and materials than Colt. Colt doesnt make the bestt 1911s either do they? I admit though it is nice to use a Colt as the basis for a custom 1911, there is something about a Colt

Bowtie
11-25-2011, 21:06

You have a problem with Mercs?

dooga
11-25-2011, 21:13
You have a problem with Mercs?

Mercs are nobody's fool.

fran m
11-25-2011, 21:14
I have paid fair prices for Colt's. The increased cost was not enough to make a difference in my life.

Have used Colt's for years and trust them to function properly.

If you buy something cheaper and it does the job, good for you. If you buy what you wanted and didn't fall for the "it's just as good as ******, good for you too.

I realize there are some rifles better, but to me, Colt is just right.

Bowtie
11-25-2011, 21:18
Mercs are nobody's fool.

Lets clarify this real quick, Are you saying Mercs are " Nobody's" or are you saying mercs are " Nobody's Fool" ?

HAIL CAESAR
11-25-2011, 22:39
Mercenaries.....:upeyes:

Bowtie
11-25-2011, 22:43
Mercenaries.....:upeyes:

:rofl: Its the money isn't it?..LMFAO!

HAIL CAESAR
11-25-2011, 23:36
:rofl: Its the money isn't it?..LMFAO!

No it's the ethics. Funny thing is I had a discussion with a CSM about mercenaries just last week. He brought it up.

Bowtie
11-25-2011, 23:49
No need to paint with such a broad brush.

johnson8861
11-25-2011, 23:49
I have always bought what I have wanted. Nobody yet has complained about my gun, and offered to buy a new for me just because they don't like the brand.

Dutch1911
11-26-2011, 21:59
Oh boo hoo my tenth post... Sniff... It's all good ladies and I do understand not everyone gets Volts for the prices I do. But give respect where its due.

DieselNut
11-26-2011, 23:20
The way I see it there are 2 types of colt guys. Internet geeks that buy colt just because its cool & they heard it was the best and wanted one. Then there are the guys that bought a colt and needed one. I agree with the posts above about more companies becoming milspec which makes colt not the only game in town anymore. However you can't argue their collectibility.

SCSU74
11-27-2011, 10:08
Or, $945 for a Colt.

+1 thats where i got mine... great guys to deal with, helps being 15 min away and being able to drive there haha