Do i really have to? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Do i really have to?

GoonGlock21
11-15-2011, 15:08
As im getting into this reloading, i understand it is a fair amount of work. However when i buy brand new casings for my 308 win for example, do i have to resize them from the factory, and do i have to resize them every time i shoot them or just make sure they are within specs. Its my goal to acheive the best accuarcy possible. I dont mind the work really just dont have much free time and i want to utilize it the best.
Thanx Goon

unclebob
11-15-2011, 15:14
As im getting into this reloading, i understand it is a fair amount of work. However when i buy brand new casings for my 308 win for example, do i have to resize them from the factory, and do i have to resize them every time i shoot them or just make sure they are within specs. Its my goal to acheive the best accuarcy possible. I dont mind the work really just dont have much free time and i want to utilize it the best.
Thanx Goon
Yes and YES.

Hogpauls
11-15-2011, 15:16
Um...........Yes. You may not have to trim everytime but sizing is SOP.

GioaJack
11-15-2011, 15:23
If you're going to be shooting them out of the same bolt gun every time you can just neck size after initial sizing.

Jack

Zombie Steve
11-15-2011, 15:25
Full length resize if it's for a semi auto or if you're shooting out of more than one gun. If it's for a bolt gun, just resize the neck only.

ColoCG
11-15-2011, 15:52
On new factory brass being reloaded for bolt action rifles, most times you can get by just running your cases over the neck expander button on your resizer die to remove any dents and make your necks concentric.

After that they either need to be neck sized at least if for the same rifle or full length sized for semi autos, lever actions, or used in other bolt action rifles.

If you plan on using the loads for hunting, full length resizing even with the same rifle guarantees consistant feeding of your cartridges when you most need it.

GIockGuy24
11-15-2011, 15:52
Size them, trim them and chamfer the inside of the case mouths after trimming so the bullets can seat smoothly.

F106 Fan
11-15-2011, 16:21
How much are you going to shoot? What kind of rifle(s) do you intend to feed with your reloads?

For my M1A (.308 semiauto), I would full length resize just to minimize feeding problems.

For my Steyr SSG (.308 bolt action), I would do neck sizing only.

In either case, I would probably trim the case length, chamfer the mouth, clean up the inside of the neck with a brush and clean out the primer pocket.

I kind of like that Hornady Case Prep Center machine. It seems to do a pretty nice job.

http://www.hornady.com/store/Lock-N-Load-Power-Case-Prep-Center/

Richard

Three-Five-Seven
11-15-2011, 17:05
Actually, the answer is "it depends."

When you get your brass, chamber a case in your intended rifle. If it goes in and allows the bolt to close, you don't have to do anything.

Then, after you fire the cases, chamber a case after cleaning it and, again, if the bolt closes, you don't have to do anything.

The actual firearm you will use the ammunition in is the single best chamber gauge and source of information to help you answer these questions.

Any other answer may, or may not, be true.

GoonGlock21
11-15-2011, 18:52
I intend to shoot my 308 ammo only in my rem 700, so i guess i only need to use the neck sizing die on it. Im also going to load my 30-30 so im thinking i will resize these cases everytime.
Thanx Goon