New member, new Glock [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : New member, new Glock

kjmdrumz3
11-15-2011, 17:51
Hey guys, been lurking for awhile and decided to join. Originally from Maryland, but Uncle Sam sent me to Tinker AFB, in Oklahoma. Was a Police Officer in Maryland for a few years prior to joining the USAF. Was issued a Glock 22 in PD, carried a 27 off-duty. Bought a 19 a couple years ago because of the cost/availability of 9mm ammunition. Just got back from another deployment, during which I was eyeing 10mm Glocks in the worst kind of way. When I got home, I bought a 29 as a present to myself. Definitely a different feel than the 19, but I find it comfortable, even though I have smaller hands than most. Finally shot it the other day. Shot both CCI Blazer 200gr FMJ, and Hornady 180gr XTP's. All I read on the internet was how much recoil 10mm weapons had. Now, I realize that both of these loads are light, but I honestly couldn't tell a difference between them and my 19 firing regular cheap ole' Federal 115gr FMJ's. One thing I did notice is that the Blazers shot about an inch or so low at every distance, while the Hornady's hit their mark everytime. Anyone else experience this? Anyway, sorry for the long post. And thanks for allowing me to join this fine place. -Adam

arushus
11-15-2011, 18:36
You came to the right place. There is an avid 10mm following here, and a wealth of knowledge. Do you still live in OK? Im from up around pryor...is your 29 a SF model? Might fit you better with small hands. Either way congrats on an excellent purchase, and welcome!

kjmdrumz3
11-15-2011, 18:41
Yes, I still live here. I live in Moore, off 89th between Bryant and Eastern. The only ranges I've been to are H and H (for the mil discount) and Canadian. I have almost a grand worth of Underwood Ammo in 9mm, .40, and 10mm in my cart...hmmm. Decisions, decisions. No the 29 isn't a short frame. I actually like he way it feels in my hands. Feels beefier than he 19.

_The_Shadow
11-15-2011, 19:24
Adam, :welcome: to the forum! Congrats with the G-29, fantastic piece! The Pearce +0 grip extensions that replace the magazine's floor plate actually give your pinky finger a purchase that aids in controlability, incase you haven't see them.

Horanady bullets ar known for their accuracy due to the longer straight shank quality copper jackets, they may have had a bit more velocity also.

Best regards! :wavey:

arushus
11-15-2011, 19:27
swampfox is an excellent source for full power 10mm loads as well, and the only place I buy my defensive loads!

kjmdrumz3
11-15-2011, 20:10
The 29 is stock, so I don't think I'm going to put any SwampFox or BB down the barrel. I am going to get a .40 conversion barrel though. Regretfully, I sold my 27 awhile ago. Was a nice little piece. Actually, I was more accurate with that (at self defense ranges) than my 22. I'm just looking at Underwood because of the prices. They aren't the hottest load around, but the prices are great and I like to have more than a box or two of ammo at my disposal. I haven't done any reloading, but it isn't far from the top of my to-do list and a good friend of mine has all his own stuff. I'd definitely like to be rolling my own here shortly.

post-apocalyptic
11-15-2011, 20:39
Welcome and congrats on the 29-SF! :thumbsup:

Buy ya a few hundred rounds of Underwood 10mm to break her in. It's full-power, completely safe to fire out of a Glock barrel, and pretty "cheap" for 10mm.

arushus
11-15-2011, 21:00
swampfox ammo is completely safein stock glocks, that is what his loads were developed for...

blastfact
11-15-2011, 21:27
Okmulgee checking in. Okies got your back. :) While I bought me G20 in OKC I have not seen one worth while ammo deal in the OKC market and none worth a flip but better in the Tulsa market where my ruts run.

If you want to reload the OKC market will support you. The net will support real 10mm ammo and other impressive ammo.

Good Luck

bac1023
11-15-2011, 21:52
:welcome: and congrats

Beanie-Bean
11-16-2011, 05:27
Congrats on the new G29!

DWARREN123
11-16-2011, 08:28
Mine is a G20SF and the felt recoil is quite a bit less with hot reloads than my G22 with hot reloads. More mass and it fits me well.
Welcome to the 10 Ring! :wavey: