If you had to use FMJ's... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : If you had to use FMJ's...

circa02
11-15-2011, 19:48
which of these would you choose; .357 magnum, or .45 acp?

Glockdude1
11-15-2011, 20:00

Only because I own 2 weapons in .45. Mc Operator and a Mac 10.

:cool:

BuckyP
11-15-2011, 20:00
.45.. cause it comes in an auto and typically holds more of them. :dunno:

circa02
11-15-2011, 20:02
Sorry, I phrased the question badly. What I meant was, which caliber is better using only FMJ?

CanyonMan
11-15-2011, 21:04
Although I use the XTP TAP in 230gr, and the WW PDX1 in 230gr, I am known around here for using more FMJFP in 230gr than anything else. That is in a 45acp. I would not carry a faster smaller round like 9mm (357mag), or 40 S&W, with a FMJ.

Known to the younger Jet set these days, (ha) as the slow and ancient lumbering caliber, the 45acp in a FMJ will not over penetrate near what a 9mm/357/40cal will. I do suggest the FMJFP (flat point). If your going to carry 'em for SD against 2 legs or 4. It at least has a flat meplet to a small degree and is better suited than the standard FMJ, as hard as that was for me to say, cause I have carried the standard FMJ for ever it seems in the 45acp. I switched over to the FP and should have years ago. I am an old dog that has a hard time with new tricks. But I get there eventually. (some times, rarely, hardly at all... Ha)

MY .2

CM

jwhite75
11-15-2011, 21:22
.45 all the way. Lots of kinetic energy, and a bigger hole.

dkf
11-15-2011, 21:56
Kind of a pointless question. All depends on what you want to use them for.

PhotoFeller
11-15-2011, 22:14
Although I use the XTP TAP in 230gr, and the WW PDX1 in 230gr, I am known around here for using more FMJFP in 230gr than anything else. That is in a 45acp. I would not carry a faster smaller round like 9mm (357mag), or 40 S&W, with a FMJ.

Known to the younger Jet set these days, (ha) as the slow and ancient lumbering caliber, the 45acp in a FMJ will not over penetrate near what a 9mm/357/40cal will. I do suggest the FMJFP (flat point). If your going to carry 'em for SD against 2 legs or 4. It at least has a flat meplet to a small degree and is better suited than the standard FMJ, as hard as that was for me to say, cause I have carried the standard FMJ for ever it seems in the 45acp. I switched over to the FP and should have years ago. I am an old dog that has a hard time with new tricks. But I get there eventually. (some times, rarely, hardly at all... Ha)

MY .2

CM

Here is another question "old dog": Do the FPs feed as reliably as standard ball ammo? Some say it feeds more like JHPs. I don't know the answer, but I'd like to since I've been buying FPs for a couple of years in .380, .40 and .45. Thanks.

SK2344
11-15-2011, 23:37
I would choose the .45, hands down! If it was good for the WW2 vets then it's good enough for me!

Brucev
11-16-2011, 06:52
Well! I've had my morning half-pot of coffee! I've taken some time to do a bit of devotional reading. And... I'm all ready to answer this question... maybe. And... in response, I differ. I don't want no slow big fat heavy lumbering wad of lead moving along at barely the speed of sound. :whistling:. What I want is something that is not so dated. What I want is something that is more suited to modernity. What I want is Weatherby style speed ... something faster than mere speeding bullets, something that makes "noise," lots of "noise!" What I want is something that will punch through car doors, windshields, refrigerators, the walls of apartments and houses and even multiple gallon milk jugs filled with water! So... give me a Coonan 1911 in .357 Magnum! That thing will carry lots of rounds... just in case I don't get a center hit with the first shot... or need to engage multiple hostiles. :supergrin:.

CanyonMan
11-16-2011, 09:14
Here is another question "old dog": Do the FPs feed as reliably as standard ball ammo? Some say it feeds more like JHPs. I don't know the answer, but I'd like to since I've been buying FPs for a couple of years in .380, .40 and .45. Thanks.

"old dog" eh ! :fred: Yeh, I guess so ! Ha.

Well, i can only speak for 'my guns." Yes, the 45acp FMJFP's feed fine through the G30, G36, G21, and my 1911's as well. The meplet is not as huge as you would find on a Hard Cast bullet, and obviously the copper jacket slides up the ramp with less friction than does exposed lead, (not that HC doesn't feed, because they do) and I just haven't had a problem in 'my' guns with them, or I would fix the gun or get rid of it... ;)

What ever I shoot gun and ammo, have got to be 100% in function or I don't carry/use, until it will.

Some folks may not agree, but I do highly polish the feed ramp on every semi I own, and I can honestly say I just have not had issues with feeding any JHP or FMJ. I know that is not the 'cure all fix all, or magic,' but it sure has made a difference in a gun or two I've had that did have some nose dives into the ramp. They don't any more.

If you do not hand load, you'll just have to find some factory stuff out there and give it a try in your particular gun/s. I'm not sure who sells the FMJFP's in a factory 45acp loading. Someone smarter than I can perhaps answer that for ya.

As I said before, I carried the FMJ 230gr in 45acp, forever and a day, and all I can say is I have no problem with them, and they are more potent than folks give them credit for, and I am / have been satisfied. RN or FP. But the FP is the better of the two, IMO.

Don't know that I've helped ya, but there ya go amigo.. ;)

Stay safe.

CM

CanyonMan
11-16-2011, 09:23
Well! I've had my morning half-pot of coffee! I've taken some time to do a bit of devotional reading. And... I'm all ready to answer this question... maybe. And... in response, I differ. I don't want no slow big fat heavy lumbering wad of lead moving along at barely the speed of sound. :whistling:. What I want is something that is not so dated. What I want is something that is more suited to modernity. What I want is Weatherby style speed ... something faster than mere speeding bullets, something that makes "noise," lots of "noise!" What I want is something that will punch through car doors, windshields, refrigerators, the walls of apartments and houses and even multiple gallon milk jugs filled with water! So... give me a Coonan 1911 in .357 Magnum! That thing will carry lots of rounds... just in case I don't get a center hit with the first shot... or need to engage multiple hostiles. :supergrin:.

Bruce..

What is it your trying to say amigo ? Could you be more specific man ? :tongueout:

You need "less coffee bro..." :supergrin:

Stay safe bud.

CM

fredj338
11-16-2011, 11:58

45 hands down. A FMJ is making a smaller than caliber hole all the way thru, regardless of hnadgun vel. I would want the biggest hole I could make.:dunno: A FP helps crush more tissue than a RN. Vel alone is not an efective wounder/killer, especially when talking handgun. I fail to see what "dated" has to do with anything. The only thing wrong w/ the 45acp over the years was low round count. Now w/ Glocks & XDs, you can have 13-14rds of 45acp. If I were stuck w/ FMJ, dia always wins over vel.

tcruse
11-16-2011, 16:28
In general there is no answer to your question that can be supported. If you setup one instance, then you can experimentally determine the relative merits of each solution. 380, 9, and 357 is about the same diameter and have some overlap I bullet weight. So, that comparison the there will be a small speed range that will provide just enough penetration and not damage something on the other side of the target. Bullet shape may also affect accuracy and target damage. Other factors like wind and distance will also be factors.

So, there will always be some that like each of the choices. 5.7 would also be somewhere in the mix. 9mm is the most popular choice, next is probably a even split between 40 and 45.

It the choice was between .357 And 45, I would go with the 357 for the higher round count.

BuckyP
11-16-2011, 16:30
It the choice was between .357 And 45, I would go with the 357 for the higher round count.

Being the OP said .357 magnum, not .357 Sig, where are you getting a higher round count? In .45 ACP: GLOCK, XD = 13+1, Para 14+1, FN 15+1
:dunno:

tcruse
11-16-2011, 16:41
Sorry, I made the assumption the reference was really the 357 Sig as used Glock pistols.

mj9mm
11-16-2011, 16:43
45 acp will still give you adequate performance in fmj , i would think 357 travels way too fast to do anything but punch holes:dunno:

Dalton Wayne
11-16-2011, 16:58
I carry magtech 230 gr fmj in my gun that I use at work

mastrbloata
11-16-2011, 17:08
I carry magtech 230 gr fmj in my gun that I use at work

Dalton, do you work security?-To anyone; these FP's, who makes these commercially?

dkf
11-16-2011, 17:56
i would think 357 travels way too fast to do anything but punch holes:dunno:

That makes no sense at all.

bac1023
11-16-2011, 18:52
45acp

Merkavaboy
11-16-2011, 19:14
For purely personal SD I'd have to go with the 45ACP loaded with Winchester's SpecOp's 185FMJ-FP +P load.

Dalton Wayne
11-16-2011, 19:30
Dalton, do you work security?-To anyone; these FP's, who makes these commercially?
No I'm a midnight shift manager at a C-store/gas station in the hood, I carry a 1911 open carry

mj9mm
11-16-2011, 19:51
That makes no sense at all.

no expansion, if the bullet does not create a decent wound cavity it is not as reliable, thats why they created hollow points

circa02
11-17-2011, 20:09
This brings up an interesting question; before hallow points were on the popular market, was the 357 magnum really much of an advantage over the 45acp?

fredj338
11-17-2011, 23:39
This brings up an interesting question; before hallow points were on the popular market, was the 357 magnum really much of an advantage over the 45acp?

The early 357mags were soft LSWC, so they would deform some. For years the debate went back & forth about which was the better fight stopper. Not until the JHP was there any significant change. Then JHP for the 45acp were pretty unreliable as were the 1911s trying to feed them. A small bore/high vel solid offers little if any advantage over a large caliber solid @ slower vel. Maybe when it hits bone or semi solid organs, but I would still bet on the big 45cal solid to do more damage.:dunno:

G36shooter
11-18-2011, 08:34
What about the ExpandingFMJ bullets?

G26man
11-18-2011, 09:54
What about the ExpandingFMJ bullets?
Beat me to it. :cool:

Another possibility if it doesn't have to look like an FMJ but feed like one is Corbon's Powerball.

JimIsland
11-18-2011, 10:04
My vote would be the 45 acp however if a 380 hard ball will kill a BG, either one will get the job done easily.

mastrbloata
11-18-2011, 16:06
No I'm a midnight shift manager at a C-store/gas station in the hood, I carry a 1911 open carry
That is........AWESOME.

fredj338
11-18-2011, 16:48
My vote would be the 45 acp however if a 380 hard ball will kill a BG, either one will get the job done easily.
Well a rock or pointy stick will kill, but like FMJ or small bores, not my first choice.:whistling:

SDDL-UP
11-18-2011, 21:37
This is almost a silly question.... but 45 all the way! Modern hollow points have evened the playing field, but in FMJ - larger diameter is better.

Chuck54
11-19-2011, 14:40
Buffalo Bore's 180 grain hard cast wadcutter in 357 sounds interesting @ 1400fps

barth
11-19-2011, 16:42

I'm unsure why you're limited to FMJ?
Be that as it may, both will over penetrate and neither will expand.
The nice thing about 45 is even without expanding it's nearly as big as
other calibers after expansion (357 = .49 to .58).

So I would pick the 45.

unit1069
11-19-2011, 19:26

I'm not an expert by any means, but for self-defense at close range against human aggressors I'd pick .45ACP.

Out in the woods against wild animals I'd pick the .357 Magnum.

CanyonMan
11-19-2011, 21:31
I'm not an expert by any means, but for self-defense at close range against human aggressors I'd pick .45ACP.

Out in the woods against wild animals I'd pick the .357 Magnum.

Between "just these two cals." You did some real good "pickin," and in the same order I would choose as well. Except Kinda both ways on the 'Human SD' amigo (for me), but goin on to the woods, yes, the 357mag. ;)

Stay safe !

CM

j-glock22
11-19-2011, 21:40
.45 due to price and shootablility, followups, ammo type choices long history of reliaibility etc...

CanyonMan
11-19-2011, 22:35
.45 due to price and shootablility, followups, ammo type choices long history of reliaibility etc...

Pard, sence I EDC "when in town," a M1911 45acp or lately, the G36 45acp Im sure with ya on al this believe me. But, the "reliability", of the 357 mag is no less. It has proven itself on the streets and in the hunting field as well for a good many years. Both great cals, and one just as reliable as the other...

But I hear ys on the rest. I like big holes man ! ;)

Stay safe man.

CM

glock20c10mm
11-19-2011, 23:25
:agree: