Is there any way to find out [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Is there any way to find out

John Rambo
11-15-2011, 18:50
A county deputy showed up at my house today before I was home from work. Pulled into my yard with his lights on and came and knocked on my door, questioned my neighbor about who the homeowner was on my property and of course got nothing. Not sure why, alls I know is that the cruiser was there. I've got the date and a rough time, and I know it was county. Is there any process I can go through to see who pulled a cruiser onto my lawn with lights ablaze then left without so much as leaving a card and why? Or will I basically get told to pound sand?

PawDog
11-15-2011, 18:57
Call and speak with the Sheriff or PIO.

trdvet
11-15-2011, 19:00
Call the SO and ask how you go about getting this info and try to talk with a patrol supervisor. Could be nothing, who knows.

collim1
11-15-2011, 19:03
I doubt the lights were really on.

I cant think of any reason I would pull into a driveway with my lights on....ever.

John Rambo
11-15-2011, 19:04
So, call (the non emergency number, I presume) and ask for the PIO or patrol supervisor? Gotchya, thanks.

John Rambo
11-15-2011, 19:10

I cant think of any reason I would pull into a driveway with my lights on....ever.

Thats the oddest part. They pulled the cruiser into my yard, not into my driveway, says the neighbor and my grass. My bike was parked in the driveway, but there was still plenty of room to fit even the largest of cars next to it. A 4,000lb Crown Victoria leaves noticeable temporary marks in the lawn. Add to that the fact that prior to stopping at my house they were at a neighbor's house who is of concern to our community, and I'm just curious as to what was going on and if I should know anything or can provide any helpful information.

trdvet
11-15-2011, 19:11
The PIO will normally work regular business hours so if you call at 6pm you will most likely talk to a patrol supervisor.

beatcop
11-15-2011, 20:00
Call dispatch during the same shift and ask if anyone is "looking" for you. They may shout it over the air....don't worry about it.

nikerret
11-15-2011, 20:45

You don't work in the county, I presume.

toddmog
11-15-2011, 21:29
The PIO will normally work regular business hours so if you call at 6pm you will most likely talk to a patrol supervisor.

Our PIO works 10-8, M-F. We might be the exception and not the rule though. As others have said, call the non emergency number and inquire.

Hack
11-15-2011, 22:01
Inquire, or inquire.

blastfact
11-15-2011, 22:13
Sounds like there is some explaining that needs to be done. Good luck with that....

Sniperfox
11-15-2011, 22:15
If the deputy did in fact have his emergency lights on, it may be that he was answering a call but was unsure of the exact address. You posted that he inquired from your neighbor about the the homeowner and "of course got nothing." If you don't mind me asking, do you mean that your neighbor refused to say who the homeowner was? If so, why would he do that?

RussP
11-16-2011, 06:59
So, call (the non emergency number, I presume) and ask for the PIO or patrol supervisor? Gotchya, thanks.Don't forget to report back...

PawDog
11-16-2011, 08:17
If the deputy did in fact have his emergency lights on, it may be that he was answering a call but was unsure of the exact address. You posted that he inquired from your neighbor about the the homeowner and "of course got nothing." If you don't mind me asking, do you mean that your neighbor refused to say who the homeowner was? If so, why would he do that?

+1 on this.......Sounds possible he was responding to a 911, and needed to know who the owner/resident was at this address. I know where I live, very rural area, private road off of a county road, with few actual house addresses posted it's hard to find an exact address.

I had an ambulance crew knock on my door one night last year looking for the right address. It turned out they were looking for the neighboring property owner.

John Rambo
11-16-2011, 08:18

Refused? No. He said he did not know the information the deputy wanted. Which may be true, I don't think I have ever discussed who owns my property with him. We're a pretty close-knit couple of neighbors and not in the habit of sharing details about eachother's business which we are unsure of with obviously unknown consequences. Anyone with an internet connection can check the property records on my house to see who the owner is if they need, anyhow.

Russ, I'll call today on my lunch break or when I get off work and will post back my results. Thanks again for the direction on who to call, guys. I would've called completely clueless and probably spent an hour being shuffled around otherwise.

scottydl
11-16-2011, 08:20
If you politely explain to a supervisor that a police car/officer showed up at your house, parked in your yard with lights activated (you weren't home at the time), and you would like to know what was happening... they ought to be able to tell you something.

collim1
11-16-2011, 09:02
You don't work in the county, I presume.

Nope, I a city kitty.

Sniperfox
11-16-2011, 12:16
Refused? No. He said he did not know the information the deputy wanted. Which may be true, I don't think I have ever discussed who owns my property with him. We're a pretty close-knit couple of neighbors and not in the habit of sharing details about eachother's business which we are unsure of with obviously unknown consequences. Anyone with an internet connection can check the property records on my house to see who the owner is if they need, anyhow.

I don't think that taking time to check the county property records would be very helpful when trying to locate the scene of an emergency.

BailRecoveryAgent
11-16-2011, 12:59
I don't think that taking time to check the county property records would be very helpful when trying to locate the scene of an emergency.

But they do it on CSI all the time.

ateamer
11-16-2011, 13:06
Just call the non-emergency number and ask to have the watch commander call you. Since this happened a day or two ago, you might need to wait a few days for an answer until the same patrol team is working so the WC can talk to the involved deputy and find out what he was doing and can give you an accurate answer.

Sniperfox
11-16-2011, 13:08
But they do it on CSI all the time.

Hawaii Five-0 too. LOL

Cochese
11-16-2011, 16:19
They drew first blood.

rhikdavis
11-16-2011, 16:25
Was he wearing his hat?

John Rambo
11-16-2011, 17:24
So, I called the non-emergency line and spoke to a lady at dispatch who had no record of a call going out directly to my house. Spoke to a PIO who said she would investigate for me. Very nice ladies, both of them. Based on the fact that they stopped at an adjacent neighbor's house before mine, I'm starting to think they may just have wanted to ask me some questions about that neighbor. The PIO lady said she'd look into it and get back to me with an answer; probably wasn't all that important if they had no record of it.

Oh well, lifes little mysteries.

Cochese
11-16-2011, 17:57
I am curious myself.

If you have a radioreference account, you can go to historical radio traffic for that agency/date/time and see if there is something going on in the neighborhood.

Sorry we couldn't be more help!

:wavey:

Mayhem like Me
11-16-2011, 18:20
They wanted to know if a guy named Sandusky ever coached you....

rhikdavis
11-16-2011, 19:23
rofl........

Sniperfox
11-17-2011, 06:51
If the deputy was responding to a call and was trying to locate an address other than yours, there would be no record of him going to your house. There would only be a record of the original call and the address that he was trying to locate.

Peace Frog
11-17-2011, 09:43
They drew first blood.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Cochese
11-17-2011, 10:16
:supergrin:

blueiron
11-17-2011, 10:56
Publishers Clearing House uses whackermobiles to deliver the Grand Prize to winners so they don't get 'jacked.

Too bad you weren't home.