3 gun shotgun [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 3 gun shotgun

madcitycop
11-16-2011, 08:32
Okay ladies and gentlemen I need a suggestion for a good 3 gun shotgun. Go...

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

HexHead
11-16-2011, 08:59
I'm planning on getting one too. I had decided on a Winchester SXP Defender, but after reading an American Rifleman piece about the Mossberg SA-20 Tactical, I think it would be ideal. 20 ga for less recoil, especially with it's gas system. Ghost ring rear sight, fiber optic front and a short rail on top if you want an optic. It's got my name all over it.

Clint-M
11-16-2011, 11:32
If price is not a factor, Benelli M2. If it is, SLP or 930.

Then you have to consider what division and if you want to have aftermarket modifications done to the shotgun.

CM

Victoriagotagun
11-16-2011, 14:38
The Benelli M2 and FN SLP seemed to be the more dominate shotguns at the 3gun matches I have been too.

Justin1911
11-17-2011, 11:33
Benilli M2 is probably the dominate shotgun for good reason. Added an oversized bolt release, ext tube and oversized charging handle and it's perfect. Decent trigger and eats everything, have yet to have malfunction in the year since I've had it. Now you can also add or modify alot more than I did, but I'm just a local 3-gunner and it's good enough for me. Alot of guys with want to mill in a dovetail for a 10/22 rear sight, and have work done on the loading gate and trigger.

Tried save a few hundred bucks with an 11-87 tactical model - not worth it imho. 2 friends had SLP's that they have since traded in for benilli M2's also.

CAcop
11-17-2011, 12:33
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYG0dy4riLI

Jeff82
11-17-2011, 13:32
Remmy 1100 Tactical serves me well. Now it's called the Tac 2, I believe.

onebadaxe
11-22-2011, 08:38
It's going to depend what division you plan to shoot.

Tactical: the Benelli M2 and FN SLP are the most popular.

Heavy metal: you're going to need a pump: 590, Supernova, 870

Open: Benelli, FNH, Saiga...

SPIN2010
11-22-2011, 09:05
Vote for the M2 here. :supergrin:

A6Gator
11-22-2011, 18:19
Benelli M2, if you're shooting tactical or limited. If you're feeling flush, spring for the Salient or have Benny Hill work up one for you.

Benelli says they're going to build a factory 3 Gun M2, but I haven't seen one yet.

FatPants
11-22-2011, 22:05
I just built up a Mossberg 930. Been very happy with the $400 shotgun thus far. Stippled it, opened the loading port, nordic +4 extension and charging handle, and its great.

Hairlesswookiee
11-23-2011, 12:46
How about the Keltec KSG? I've been wanting to get one since I heard about it, and it would kill two birds with one stone to try it in a competition.

Clint-M
11-23-2011, 14:08
The problem you would run into with the Kel Tec is that you'd be shooting Open Class because of the capacity, depending on the rules your selected club follows on cap and loading rules.

CM

B.Reid
11-23-2011, 15:29
I went with the FNH. It is pretty much ready to go as is. I have no regrets.

dg21
11-24-2011, 02:37
I shoot a Benelli M1 tactical pre-ban, like all the M2 shooters before me stated it just shoots. It has a extended bolt handle, oversize safety, and extended mag tube. I have more rounds through it than I care to count with zero malfunctions. I'd go with the Benelli.

MarkCO
11-30-2011, 15:47
In Open, it is a Saiga or and Adkal. I'd bet on the Adkal to be dominant in a few years if there is no legal change or a US based competitive option.

In the pump required HM classes, BPS, Winchester or Benelli Super-Nova.

For everything else, you are looking at a 12 guage autoloader, 8+1 capacity.

Benelli is the most popular largely because they have been around for the longest in a configuration that will take the abuse. They are the lightest of the options, and the kick the most. The bolts bounce out of battery and if you are fast, you can lock up the trigger. Just this year, they started to actively support 3 gun, maybe because they have been losing market share. Figure on $1100 on up.

The SLP is probably the second most popular, and my personal choice. It has the best trigger, soft recoil and is built like a tank. While it is ready to run out of the box, there are some improvements that can be made. Figure on $950 or so. There are various Wnchester SX models that have the same operating system and are a few hunderd less.

Remington 1100 has been a solid performer for many, but it is harder to load, the loading part can not be opened up sufficiently and when it starts to go bad, it goes very bad. Not an option IMHO, and I shot one for almost 20 years. Run around $600 to $900, might or might not need option, but a DMW loading gate is a necessity.

Remington now has the VersaMax. The number one 3 Gunner in the country is shooting it, so it can't be all bad. Good fit and finish, Benelli trigger and bolt with gas support if you will. Benefits of the Benelli and gas gun rolled into one. Expensive, but some feel worth it, $1600.

The Mossberg 930, in various forms has made some inroads, but it is not in the same league as the 3 above. Reliabilty goes away after about 6 or 7 thousand rounds and the amount of work on it to get it ready to roll is in the realm of $400 or so. Base guns in the $400 to $600 range, so figure from $700 to $1300 for a Benny Mossy.

And then we have the basement dweller, sneaking up and smacking spaghetti around at times. The CZ 712 Utility. This has the same operation system as the SLP, however, not as good quality in the fit and finish. But for about $400 and the addition of a Nordic tube for $80, it is the clear bargain winner. $480 ready to roll.

A LOT of people say they are "3 Gunners" or going to shoot "3Gun", which is all great, but it has a large array of meanings. The majors typically require 200 or so rounds of shotgun in a match. Shoot 8 to 10 of those a year, with practice, the Mossberg 930 is a one year gun, the Remington 1100 maybe a 3 year gun. The SLPs and Benellis will last for many many seasons. OTOH, shoot a few locals yearly, 100 round of shot and less, keep them clean and the springs changed, you will get many years out of the Mossy and the 1100s as well. I shot 8 majors last year and shot just about 4600 rounds of shotgun total.

FWIW, anyone who says they have any shotgun with NO malfunctions is using $10+/box ammo, does not shoot much, or is fibbing.

Ride5C2
11-30-2011, 16:09
Markco,
Best summary I've seen of the 3gun shotgun landscape. I'm a 930 owner & big fan, but don't disagree with anything you put in here, very well laid out reasoning.

I'm currently considering the Akdal and trying to figure out if I really need another shotgun . . .

MarkCO
11-30-2011, 19:33
Thanks. :supergrin: Have you seen the Adkals that Jim @ Firebird Precision is building? WOW!

Ride5C2
11-30-2011, 20:21
Thanks. :supergrin: Have you seen the Adkals that Jim @ Firebird Precision is building? WOW!

That's exactly what I've been looking at unfortunately :-). I really like what he's done with it, I'm just a bit unsure of the side charger handle location on the forearm. I use a side charging AR so I like the concept, but the bolt going forward can get you if you're not careful and that one is right at the forearm grip point.

Other than that, it's lightweight, functions well (from what i hear) and I like the controls. He's done a lot with that platform in a short amount of time.

dg21
11-30-2011, 21:11
MarkCo that was a great breakdown. I fell in to my Benelli before I even thought of trying a three gun match. I've been shooting the NRA TPC matches for a few years which is a three gun on a much smaller scale. I did shoot the AR15 Rockcastle match (as an amateur) but don't think the round count on the am side was more than 75 or so. The zero malfunction statement was meant to say in competition. I've had them trying out different ammo when I first bought the gun and when being cheap doing drills. I never had them with AA Heavy Target Load or the Super Handicap Heavy Target load (my ammo choices for competition), the latter costs $7.99 at Wally world. I think I shot about 10% of your total. What is your primary ammo choice? With your competition ammo choice how many ammo related malfunctions do you think you have had this past year?

MarkCO
11-30-2011, 22:32
What is your primary ammo choice? With your competition ammo choice how many ammo related malfunctions do you think you have had this past year?

For local matches and practice, I'll shoot Federal, Remington or Winchester "promo" or gun club loads at about $5/box. I buy when they are on sale. In big matches, I use the Winchester AA field loads, Fiocchi Spreaders and Buckshot and Remington Reduced recoil slugs. Next year I'll switch over to the Winlite slugs since they are the same length as the Win AAs and the "rim" of the hull is a little harder. I had 2 FTF on buckshot that I attribute to ammo. With the cheap shells, I had maybe 5 or 6 bobbles in feeding and one in extracting. With the good stuf, none.

MarkCO
12-01-2011, 18:49
Other than that, it's lightweight, functions well (from what i hear) and I like the controls. He's done a lot with that platform in a short amount of time.

My advice, call Nanci tomorrow and get your name on the list. The list is long and growing. IF the side charging handle is the issue, talk to Jim and work out something else. They are doing conversions on customer guns as well as selling complete guns. They work, I've seen them in person. They have some other exciting things coming out shorlty as well!

MarkCO
08-24-2012, 21:37
A bit of an updates on "3Gun" shotguns.

First, the 930JMs are now on the market and are pretty much ready out of the box at $600 or so. Besides the obvious, the internals are now hard-chromed which increases the lifespan. They do appear to be generally reliable, but I am aware of a few lemons.

The VersMax is now available in a tactical version, ready to roll for about $1100 street, so about on a par with the Benellis costwise. Um...VERY nice! Working on a few "upgrades" we hope see the light of day.

In the Benelli realm, Salient is gone, but Taran Tactical is doing a version of the Competition guns, still have not seen an actual Beneli 3Gun model except in the hands of the sponsored shooters.

CZ712s are supposedly going to be availabe in a US configuration with an extended tube shortly, but we know how long we have to wait for shotgun releases, so I would not hold my breath.

ronin.45
08-24-2012, 22:18
It's going to depend what division you plan to shoot.

Tactical: the Benelli M2 and FN SLP are the most popular.

Heavy metal: you're going to need a pump: 590, Supernova, 870

Open: Benelli, FNH, Saiga...

Yup. I love my Benelli, but if you plan to shoot open class you'll want a Saiga.

MarkCO
08-25-2012, 09:33
Yup. I love my Benelli, but if you plan to shoot open class you'll want a Saiga.

Jerry Miculek won RM3G with a Tube fed 930...