Colt 6940 or FNH Scar 16S??? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Colt 6940 or FNH Scar 16S???

Ohio Glock
11-16-2011, 11:52
Here's my dilemma. I have narrowed my search down to these two rifles. Can anyone give me the good, bad or ugly on these two. Which one should I chose and why. Also it may end up in the back of my cruiser as a Patrol Rifle if that sways your opinion. Thanks in advance.

txgunguy
11-16-2011, 11:57
Funny you asked, I have 2 different friends with these exact rifles.

The Colt is a carbine with 14.5" barrel and pinned flash hider. Shoots great and is rock solid.

The scar is pretty awesome. Would be my choice if I had the money. Piston gas system, comes with flip up front and rear sights, and a comp. I think it's a PWS comp, I could be wrong. The SCAR is lightweight and the stock can be folded. The stock also has an adjustable cheek piece.

Both are great weapons. The scar is ambi. The Colt will be cheaper. I know my friend had trouble at first with his SCAR using regular p-mags. Either way you can't go wrong.

M&P15T
11-16-2011, 12:00
I would get a SCAR.

Better ergos, lighter, better stock adjustability, and cleaner functioning, plus the fact that it's the new kid on the block.

They'll both do the same thing, but the SCAR is just too sweet to skip.

M&P15T
11-16-2011, 12:01
I know my friend had trouble at first with his SCAR using regular p-mags.

This is well know among SCAR owners. There is a very minor modification (using a dremel) that needs to be done to PMAGs to get them to work properly in SCARS. I'm sure that a GOOGLE search will bring-up a video on it.

Goldendog Redux
11-16-2011, 12:03
If it will end up being a patrol rifle, I'd go with the Colt for the "any one of your partners can pick it up and run it" aspect. Scar would be cool though.

MF

Clint-M
11-16-2011, 12:19
If I were deciding between the two (meaning money/use wasn't an issue for me) I'd pick the SCAR most of the time.

CM

M&P15T
11-16-2011, 12:54
Just a tease, check this video out. I am absolutely shocked at how quiet it is.
Shooting a suppressed SCAR. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1-mZQNTlek)

MrMurphy
11-16-2011, 13:00
While I think the SCAR is an awesome piece and quite reliable (those running the 17 in Afghanistan appear to love it), i have a lifetime of responses from the M16 FOW, so it would be a tossup.

If i went with the SCAR i would invest in about 2,000 rounds to retrain myself on the new rifle.

Clint-M
11-16-2011, 13:57
Just a tease, check this video out. I am absolutely shocked at how quiet it is.
Shooting a suppressed SCAR. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1-mZQNTlek)
I shot a few Surefire suppressors this past weekend and they are amazing. Shot an OBR 7.62 that was softer than a .223 with a brake.

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n69/chevypickle23/DSC_0324.jpg

CM

M&P15T
11-16-2011, 14:17
I shot a few Surefire suppressors this past weekend and they are amazing. Shot an OBR 7.62 that was softer than a .223 with a brake. CM

I've seen Surfire's promotional web-video for their AR15 suppressor, very impressive stuff. I would assume the same model can be used on a SCAR. Do you think that's a Surefire suppressor in the video? I looked at a few of the comments, but didn't see it mentioned anywhere.

LAZY EYED SNIPER
11-16-2011, 15:14
I've had my SCAR 16s for about a year now and I absolutely love this thing...

http://i41.servimg.com/u/f41/14/51/12/47/scar_110.jpg (http://www.servimg.com/image_preview.php?i=2742&u=14511247)

Ohio Glock
11-16-2011, 20:32
I guess what I am really looking for is a reason not to buy the Scar. The Scar is the gun I want to buy, but is it a design that is going to go by the wayside in the future? We all know the Colt is a good gun at a reasonable price compared to the Scar and it has been around a very long time and probably will be for years to come. So I am just a little apprehensive to buy the Scar I guess. Any other opinions are appreciated.

raven11
11-16-2011, 22:58
I guess what I am really looking for is a reason not to buy the Scar. The Scar is the gun I want to buy, but is it a design that is going to go by the wayside in the future? We all know the Colt is a good gun at a reasonable price compared to the Scar and it has been around a very long time and probably will be for years to come. So I am just a little apprehensive to buy the Scar I guess. Any other opinions are appreciated.

FN is going to back up the rifle for a long time, since its inception it is getting orders from Mexico, Poland, Peru and really is a logical replacement for those that can afford it as the US Government basically paid to R&D and field test it. heck the FN2000 was adopted by few countries overseas but never sold that well in the states but they are still making them

If I had the money, i'd get the SCAR. after seeing those Pararescue men qualify with SCARS while we were requaling on our M16A2 it really shined on the range

txgunguy
11-16-2011, 23:04

FN is very innovative. I don't see them going under anytime soon. Just my opinion, but they are a great company. I recently bought an fnp-9. I wondered about having it serviced in the future. Thought about it for a few minutes and decided FN will most likely back it for a long, long time.

Who knows, I could die tomorrow and FN could go under.

TedG
11-17-2011, 08:09
I'd have both.

I know that's easy to "say", but if I could afford a SCAR, I could probably afford another $1k for the Colt.

The SCAR is a fantastic design, but if I was depending on my rifle to save my life, I'd want the Colt. Mil-Spec interchangeability is important to me.

Maybe when there's a SCAR in every garage, I'll change my mind.

M&P15T
11-17-2011, 08:23
The SCAR is a fantastic design, but if I was depending on my rifle to save my life, I'd want the Colt. Mil-Spec interchangeability is important to me.

I don't understand what interchangability has to do with depending on a rifle to save your life, what do you mean by that?

Also, I've been looking at a SCAR 16s myself, and I'm wondering if there are better places to look for them other than Gunbroker.com and GunsAmerica.com.

TedG
11-17-2011, 08:36
I don't understand what interchangability has to do with depending on a rifle to save your life, what do you mean by that?

If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand.

WoodenPlank
11-17-2011, 09:53

Yup.

I'm not a fan of the SCAR. To me, it still feels like a plastic FAL with a reciprocating charging handle. The design has promise, but I'm nowhere near sold on it yet. IMO it's also WAAAAY too overpriced for what it does. I could buy a top end DI rifle, optic, accessories, ammo and mags for the stock price of a SCAR right now.

M&P15T
11-17-2011, 10:21

Trust me son, I can understand anything you have to write.

Don't be an ass. If you don't want to answer the question, then don't, but don't try and flatter yourself by insulting me.

M&P15T
11-17-2011, 10:25
IMO it's also WAAAAY too overpriced for what it does. I could buy a top end DI rifle, optic, accessories, ammo and mags for the stock price of a SCAR right now.

Yes, very over-priced. I looked this morning, and I swear they were cheaper months ago, like the price had gone up. I do believe I was looking at them for around $1800.00 at one point.

brisk21
11-17-2011, 10:27
Yup.

I'm not a fan of the SCAR. To me, it still feels like a plastic FAL with a reciprocating charging handle. The design has promise, but I'm nowhere near sold on it yet. IMO it's also WAAAAY too overpriced for what it does. I could buy a top end DI rifle, optic, accessories, ammo and mags for the stock price of a SCAR right now.

Yeah, I don't like the reciprocating charging handle either. Id much rather have a Colt with optics and accessories for the same price as a base SCAR. If the SCAR was within 2 or 3 hundred of the Colt, Id change my mind.

WoodenPlank
11-17-2011, 10:32
Yeah, I don't like the reciprocating charging handle either. Id much rather have a Colt with optics and accessories for the same price as a base SCAR. If the SCAR was within 2 or 3 hundred of the Colt, Id change my mind.

I know of a couple guys that wound up with damaged or broken thumbs from that stupid thing.

PlasticGuy
11-17-2011, 11:43
I am issued a Colt every day. My SCAR's are much better fighting rifles in every way that matters to me. It takes longer to get hot and dirty, stays reliable longer, has an adjustment for use with a suppressor so it doesn't beat itself to death while running one, and has a folding stock. It is also mil-spec, so the parts interchange comments above make no sense to me.

Downside is cost, but it seems reasonable that better guns cost more.. I will admit that I don't like the reciprocating charging handle, but I don't like the AR15 charging handle either. Just use a vertical grip or MagPul AFG and it doesn't matter.

Eurodriver
11-17-2011, 11:46
I know of a couple guys that wound up with damaged or broken thumbs from that stupid thing.

Remember, the SCAR was made for a customer. That customer wanted a reciprocating charging handle for a reason. Monty Leclaire breaks it down perfectly.

I have many rounds down range with the SCAR and I have never even noticed the CH...but I'm not an idiot using a magwell grip either.

It is a different platform. You can't just expect to cross from AR to the SCAR because the magazine release is the same and not have to get learn how to manipulate the weapon.

mdfd
11-17-2011, 13:36
This is well know among SCAR owners. There is a very minor modification (using a dremel) that needs to be done to PMAGs to get them to work properly in SCARS. I'm sure that a GOOGLE search will bring-up a video on it.

ok, I admittedly know very little about the SCAR but it does intrigue me and if I could afford it I would be looking into it more. Regarding the mod to the PMAG, will this affect the PMAG's ability to be used in a regular AR once the mod is performed?

TedG
11-17-2011, 13:43
Trust me son, I can understand anything you have to write.

Don't be an ass. If you don't want to answer the question, then don't, but don't try and flatter yourself by insulting me.

Well, "dad", you get what you pay for. And, don't assume that you can dictate what I write. You're trying to turn a simple post into a controversy. If I believe the Colt is my choice for defense, then it's MY choice and I don't have to qualify the reasoning to you or anyone else. Now, I hope you understand.

M&P15T
11-17-2011, 14:03
Well, "dad", you get what you pay for. And, don't assume that you can dictate what I write. You're trying to turn a simple post into a controversy. If I believe the Colt is my choice for defense, then it's MY choice and I don't have to qualify the reasoning to you or anyone else. Now, I hope you understand.

Let me offer you some advice;

If you don't want to qualify your selection, then don't. Just say "I like my Colt", that's good enough. If, however, you make an incoherent attempt at qualifying your selection (which is what you did), and you get asked for further clarification (which is what I did), don't get so butt-hurt over it.

Seriously, it's the internets, why get so defensive and nasty like that?

TnGlocker12
11-17-2011, 14:48

Also, I've been looking at a SCAR 16s myself, and I'm wondering if there are better places to look for them other than Gunbroker.com and GunsAmerica.com.

If you are LE or military check Budspolicesupply.com. If you are one of the others check out Budsgunshop.com.

raven11
11-17-2011, 15:42

Try CDNN I think that is where one of my buddies was able to get his for 1800.00

outback45
11-22-2011, 19:20
When M&P15 was saying that he prefers the Colt over the SCAR due to mil-spec interchangeability, I assume he means that you are far more likely to run into spare AR parts than SCAR parts. This issue would come into play if all hell breaks loose and you have to scavenge for parts (or if you just want to stock up on spare parts).