Case cracks-is it time? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Case cracks-is it time?

bob35
11-16-2011, 13:19
I am on my 4th time reloading a batch of 223 cases and I noticed some have very small shoulder cracks, 1/16 to 1/8 inch long. No cracks in the neck, just in the shoulder area. Is it safe to load these (the ones showing cracks) again, or is it time?

DoctaGlockta
11-16-2011, 13:22
Measure the case length and trim them off if you can.

GioaJack
11-16-2011, 13:34
If the cracks are actually in the shoulder and not at the lip of the case mouth it's time to put them in the circular file... unless things have really changed over the years you can't trim down to the shoulder. :supergrin:

Shoulder cracks can also be an indication that it may be time to check your headspacing. Improper headspacing allows the case to move back against the breech face which in turn leaves the shoulder unsupported and leads to cracks.

Although Superglue, Duct Tape, candle wax, welding, caulking and other imaginative techniques may work for eking those last few loading out of pistol cases the higher pressures of rifle rounds negate this cost saving attitude.

Jack

unclebob
11-16-2011, 13:44
Even though it pains me to say this but I agree with Jack. Dispose of them however you dispose of unusable brass, spent primers etc. Me they just go in the trash.

argy1182
11-16-2011, 13:47
If the cracks are actually in the shoulder and not at the lip of the case mouth it's time to put them in the circular file... unless things have really changed over the years you can't trim down to the shoulder. :supergrin:

Shoulder cracks can also be an indication that it may be time to check your headspacing. Improper headspacing allows the case to move back against the breech face which in turn leaves the shoulder unsupported and leads to cracks.

Although Superglue, Duct Tape, candle wax, welding, caulking and other imaginative techniques may work for eking those last few loading out of pistol cases the higher pressures of rifle rounds negate this cost saving attitude.

Jack

Well put. If it can't be mitigated by trimming, the case is done.

DoctaGlockta
11-16-2011, 14:01
Measure the case length and trim them off if you can.
My apologies gentlemen by not actually using my eyes and cerebral cortex to actually READ the original post.

Please disregard my erroneous advice above. I suppose I also need to listen more and talk less as my wife constantly reminds me.

Carry on.

Jeff82
11-16-2011, 14:27
You can go back and edit your erroneous post. I wouldn't want to leave inaccurate info out floating on the internet that someone may read and not see the followup.

unclebob
11-16-2011, 14:38
You can go back and edit your erroneous post. I wouldn't want to leave inaccurate info out floating on the internet that someone may read and not see the followup.

Their is already a lot of inaccurate and erroneous information floating around on the internet.

bush pilot
11-16-2011, 18:42
My apologies gentlemen by not actually using my eyes and cerebral cortex to actually READ the original post.

Please disregard my erroneous advice above. I suppose I also need to listen more and talk less as my wife constantly reminds me.

Carry on.

Reeding iz gud, comprending wut u red iz evun bedder.

bush pilot
11-16-2011, 18:49
Their is already a lot of inaccurate and erroneous information floating around on the internet.

Can you prove this? Any examples you can cite?

Colorado4Wheel
11-16-2011, 19:42
Can you prove this? Any examples you can cite?

I know for a fact Jack is wrong.

How's that?

GioaJack
11-16-2011, 20:50
I've only been wrong three times in my entire life... and I corrected those mistakes in divorce court.

Oh, and don't talk about me on Wednesday, Friday or Saturday nights... those are dance nights. Now, if you'll excuse me, they're playing my song and the ladies are waiting.

Jack

Colorado4Wheel
11-16-2011, 21:29
I don't think he got the irony.

fredj338
11-16-2011, 22:02
ANY cracks in a case mnea it needs to be tossed. Enlarged primer pokcets also get tossed. Brass is cheap compared to damaging a gun.

bush pilot
11-16-2011, 22:11
I don't think he got the irony.

At least his response didn't require an Evelyn Wood course to read in less than 30 minutes.

bob35
11-17-2011, 14:06
Thanks to all for the good advice. All cracked cases in the trash/recycle bin.