Plain clothes holster [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Plain clothes holster

Victoriagotagun
11-16-2011, 15:22
My brother has always used a leather thumb break pancake holster for plain clothes assignments but he is thinking about switching to a holster similar to his normal duty rig. I know he carries a Safariland ALS holster but I don't remember which model but I was thinking about getting him the Safariland 6377 ALS holster for his birthday coming up.

Does anybody have any experience with the 6377? Any problems with it? And what is the best place to order one online?

http://www.safariland.com/DutyGear/product.aspx?pid=6377

nitesite10mm
11-16-2011, 15:59
I own several 6378 ALS holsters as I think they are very fine paddle holsters with great retention. I got mine from OpticsPlanet.com for under $40 each. Each one came as a paddle but also included a belt loop mount to replace the paddle. The 6378 doesn't ride high, sort of a mid-height carry. The 6377 has the advantage (?) of being worn cross-draw which the 6378 isn't known for.

Either is a very durable and well made holster that costs far less than what they could sell for.

Sharky7
11-16-2011, 16:45
I hate safariland's paddle. It was very uncomfortable for me. In my opinion, it was large, unflexible, and rigid. I would definitely use the belt option if you get it for him. A few guys at my work have the new safariland holsters ALS thumb release holsters, they like them a lot. I tried them out, the button was just a little too small and slick for my fat thumb. It was use-able, but I didn't fall in love with it.

Is concealment necessary? This is about as close as you can get to the same platform as most safariland duty rigs.
http://www.safariland.com/DutyGear/product.aspx?pid=6367

Victoriagotagun
11-16-2011, 16:50
It wouldn't be the paddle version because he hates them and have had one break while going over a wall.

Victoriagotagun
11-16-2011, 16:53
Is concealment necessary? This is about as close as you can get to the same platform as most safariland duty rigs.
http://www.safariland.com/DutyGear/product.aspx?pid=6367

Enough to conceal it as much as possible under a jacket or button down. They also don't list his firearm for the 6367 for some reason.

collim1
11-17-2011, 00:00
Enough to conceal it as much as possible under a jacket or button down. They also don't list his firearm for the 6367 for some reason.

I prefer an off duty rig to have a thumbsnap. It just looks more secure, some dope might see a open top holsters and assume its got no retention, whether it does or not.

What weapon is he carrying? Might help to know.

I know you wanted a Safariland, but I have a Done Hume H721 for each of my pistols. It is a darn good holster for the money and has held up well for plainclothes and off duty carry.

Victoriagotagun
11-17-2011, 10:17
I prefer an off duty rig to have a thumbsnap. It just looks more secure, some dope might see a open top holsters and assume its got no retention, whether it does or not.

What weapon is he carrying? Might help to know.

I know you wanted a Safariland, but I have a Done Hume H721 for each of my pistols. It is a darn good holster for the money and has held up well for plainclothes and off duty carry.

He already has a thumb break pancake holster that he is trying to get away from.

He carries a Glock 17 with a weapons light.

toddmog
11-17-2011, 10:22
He carries a Glock 17 with a weapons light.

6378-832-411 For STX Plain finish. (provided he has a TLR-1 or M3 light) Optics Planet is going to be your best bet.

nitesite10mm
11-17-2011, 13:13
It wouldn't be the paddle version because he hates them and have had one break while going over a wall.

If a 6378 broke going over a wall then any Safariland Duty Holster like the 6360 would have broken as well. What brand of holster broke on him? Was it Safariland? If not, then why not consider the Safariland brand?

I agree the 6367 is/was worth looking into although hi-ride holsters don't work for some folks and you say there isn't one for his particular weapon configuration.

6377s are fine as well. But be forewarned:

Optics Planet and other sources rarely have the exact holster in stock for immediate shipment, and they place an order to Safariland to have one built to order for them. Six to eight weeks can pass before it will arrive which might make holiday gift giving somewhat unmanageable. Safariland direct order will cut that time in half but they charge full MSRP which might be worth it for the time savings.

Victoriagotagun
11-17-2011, 13:31
If a 6378 broke going over a wall then any Safariland Duty Holster like the 6360 would have broken as well. What brand of holster broke on him? Was it Safariland? If not, then why not consider the Safariland brand?

I agree the 6367 is/was worth looking into although hi-ride holsters don't work for some folks and you say there isn't one for his particular weapon configuration.

6377s are fine as well. But be forewarned:

Optics Planet and other sources rarely have the exact holster in stock for immediate shipment, and they place an order to Safariland to have one built to order for them. Six to eight weeks can pass before it will arrive which might make holiday gift giving somewhat unmanageable. Safariland direct order will cut that time in half but they charge full MSRP which might be worth it for the time savings.

It wasn't a Safariland paddle that broke but because of that he doesn't trust a paddle. I wouldn't order from Optics Planet anyways because I have had a bad experience with them. It would probably be from copsplus.com unless I feel like making a trip to Proforce in Brea.

Knute
11-18-2011, 07:09
I use the 6378 for my G27 and G22 with a tac light. They came with paddle and belt attachment. I prefer to use the paddle myself. These are great holsters. Got mine at copquest.com. Have friends who have had to custom order them from some cop shops for their guns when they couldn't find them online. It may take about a month for the business to get them from Safariland, depending on the make/model/availability/etc.

What does he carry?

Hack
11-18-2011, 07:18
For OWB carry I prefer Bianchi Carry Lock. I use it for a Glock 17. It is a belt secured holster.

Ford_P
11-18-2011, 20:29
I use the Safariland 6378 paddle holster with the Safariland 6006 ALS guard for my Glock 27 and really like it (I use this for plain clothes). The 6378 is available to me at a local shop, but I had to mail order the 6006 ALS guard from www.copquest.com.

Here is a video that shows the 6006 guard if you are interested in extra retention:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INB3x...layer_embedded

Bodyarmorguy
11-18-2011, 21:31
I bought the 6377 for G27's for our Detectives and thus far they are very happy with them.

Victoriagotagun
11-18-2011, 21:38
I bought the 6377 for G27's for our Detectives and thus far they are very happy with them.

Where did you buy them from?

Jemost
11-22-2011, 15:39
I have recently switched over to a Safariland 6378 and replaced the belt loop with the new 566BL (rides 1" or 2" higher). The belt loop is also formed, so it's easier to put on/take off.

I order from OpticsPlanet, but always call first to see it it's in stock.