Gun pocket? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Gun pocket?

gunsgunsgunsgun
11-16-2011, 22:36
I recently asked to have my front left pocket of my duty pants/trousers enlarged in order to stop the seams of the pants from failing due to my back up. My command had never heard of this and the tailor that we use had never had this requested. So I guess my question to all is, is this really that unusual of a request. Mind you I work for a decent sized department, 50 or so sworn officers.

FYI after speaking with the tailor she stated that the larger pocket would help and that the pants were cheap in general. I also tried a seach for "gun pocket" but only got 380 post.

Hack
11-16-2011, 22:58
Our uniform trousers pockets are specifically all made larger than usual for US standards. Maybe your department should look into some similar arrangement.

collim1
11-17-2011, 00:52
I cant fit my hands in the front pockets of my class A pants with a duty belt on. Wish I would, I would prefer pocket carry vs ankle carry.

4949shooter
11-17-2011, 05:50
It doesn't sound unusual to me. I have a friend who used to order his uniform pants a size (or maybe two) larger so that he could fit his Colt Officer's model in his front pocket. That same Colt saved his life.

Do whatever you need to do to maximize your safety.

gunsgunsgunsgun
11-17-2011, 13:47
Thanks for the replies. Getting new pants is not an option; they, the department, decided on the cheaper pants and will just pay for the repairs as they come.

I did not think that a larger pocket for a gun was an unusual request until I asked. I have carried a gun in the same pocket for years and don't plan to change that (know where your gear is). Plus I like my PM45 for a backup as compared to the P3AT had.

Hope the larger pocket helps prevent the seams from failing and still keeps the gun upright and accessible.

Also thanks for letting me know it is not that unusual request.

DaBigBR
11-17-2011, 14:48
Why not just buy yourself better pants in the same color?

gunsgunsgunsgun
11-17-2011, 16:26
Uniformity and policy

Sgt127
11-17-2011, 17:00
While you are at it, have them sew the pocket out of heavy denim or canvas and, double or triple stitch where the pocket hangs on the waistband.

If your tailor is really good, have them do a nylon strap or sling that supports the pocket to the waistband.

Bullman
11-18-2011, 03:19
I cant fit my hands in the front pockets of my class A pants with a duty belt on. Wish I would, I would prefer pocket carry vs ankle carry.

It is a major deal to get my house keys out of my pocket when I get home, I can't imagine trying to dig a gun out.

nitesite10mm
11-18-2011, 11:47
I once placed a 4"x6" iron-on repair patch folded like a taco to the bottom of a pocket to strengthen the seam. Still working great.

KentuckyPatriot
11-18-2011, 20:17
This is an old school idea that many detectives had done to their pants...back in the day. I wish that I could remember to have this done...never seem to remember it until someone else mentions it!

Extra stitching and heavier fabric will serve you will. Another idea is to have a seam pocket installed for other goodies.

lawman800
11-19-2011, 05:01
We don't need bigger pockets to hold the gun but a few guys have opened up the bottom seam to make the opening bigger and one guy used velcro to fasten the bottom of the seam so he can rip the seam open to enlarge the opening if needed when drawing his backup.

bccop
11-19-2011, 10:51
We don't need bigger pockets to hold the gun but a few guys have opened up the bottom seam to make the opening bigger and one guy used velcro to fasten the bottom of the seam so he can rip the seam open to enlarge the opening if needed when drawing his backup.

Are you sure that's the only reason they have the lining cut in their pocket???? :whistling:

Agent6-3/8
11-19-2011, 10:55
Are you sure that's the only reason they have the lining cut in their pocket???? :whistling:

Are you suggesting a game of on-duty pocket pool?! :shocked:

:rofl:

bccop
11-19-2011, 11:02
Are you suggesting a game of on-duty pocket pool?! :shocked:

:rofl:

Just adds to the excitement to do it on duty with a loaded gun in the pocket. I wouldn't know because we are not allowed to carry back up guns. Does a knife count?

nitesite10mm
11-19-2011, 11:27
This thread is taking a sick twist that I am sure I don't exactly like.

But I'll still follow it no matter what twists and turns if may take, just because that's the way I roll.

lawman800
11-19-2011, 12:26
Damn you sick bastards. It's not the lining that's cut, it's the outside seam so that the pocket opening is bigger.

(not that I wouldn't have made the same joke under the circs)