New Barrel for G20SF [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : New Barrel for G20SF

20SFLV
11-17-2011, 09:26
I am looking into an upgraded barrel for the G20SF. Do you guys prefer Storm Lake or KKM and why?

Plan on shooting some hotter than factory loads so want a better barrel than the stock G20SF.

Thank you.

G29SF
11-17-2011, 09:44
I did a little research on Lone Wolf, KKM and Storm Lake when I was looking for a barrel for my G20SF (my first Glock/10mm).

Disclaimer: I did not actually touch, feel, shoot, etc. any of these barrels in my "research". I simply read on the Internet.

The Lone Wolf appeard to be lesser quality and had that silly cartoon character on it. So unless something really stood out for this barrel, it was out in my book.

I did a little reading about Storm Lake but was indifferent.

When I looked at the KKM, I read nothing but good about it and it looked like a very high quality piece. This is what I bought.

I have since bought 3 more KKM barrels since the initial 10mm KKM. Their quality is top-notch and I have had ZERO issues with mine.

Since those barrels, I have bought 2 Lone Wolf 9x25 Dillon barrels. I bought Lone Wolf because they seem to be the only ones making the 9x25. The LWD barrel doesn't "look" as nice, but the fit is nice and tight. Seems to shoot just fine.

The price difference between the LWD and the KKM is about $50. Not a big deal for one barrel... but I will say it adds up when you start buying more of them!

I am looking into an upgraded barrel for the G20SF. Do you guys prefer Storm Lake or KKM and why?

Plan on shooting some hotter than factory loads so want a better barrel than the stock G20SF.

Thank you.

dryfly
11-17-2011, 09:52
For my G20sf I bought a blind marked black LWD barrel.....
I had feed issues and my accuracy was not as good as it is with the stock barrel.

Wish I bought a KKM instead....my next barrel will be a KKM for my new G29sf...

rcd567
11-17-2011, 10:33
I'll let you know MY experience with Lone Wolf once it gets here. Found one in New York. Course I have to wait until my frame gets back from Cold Bore Custom.

I'm mostly interested in the support of the cartridge. Trying to get an accurate round but that doesn't bulge the case so much.

dryfly
11-17-2011, 11:07
Whats Cod Bore doin to your frame?

Reboot
11-17-2011, 11:22

Thank you.

I'm in the same boat as you and I'm interested in a replacement barrel for my G20SF as well. From what I've read here in the 10ring "mudrush" (from Swampfox ammo) reports that the Lone Wolf Distributing barrel has the best case support and from what I understand that's the only barrel he recommends for shooting his hottest loads.

I've had a KKM conversion barrel for my G21 (.45>10mm) and it was a quality barrel. I think it "looked" higher quality than my LWD G21 barrel. I also bought a KKM for my G35 and it seems to be as accurate as I can hold. Honestly I think all of these barrels will shoot better than I'm able to *at this point in time* but I plan on getting better so I'd like to have an accurate, reliable barrel that's able to handle the hotter loads.

From what I've read Storm Lake barrels (and Bar-Sto I believe) may require some fitting so they may not really be "drop-in". I'd really like to find out which one is the most accurate barrel regardless of chamber support and then I'd like to find out if the LWD is less accurate and if so by how much? If accuracy is negligible then I think I would opt for the LWD (blind marked) since it is less expensive and it has been shown to provide better chamber support. I need that since I reload and 10mm brass is like gold.

tlen
11-17-2011, 11:38
I bought a 6" LWD barrel for hunting. No problems what so ever......even with the "cartoon character" on the barrel.

arushus
11-17-2011, 12:19
My lwd barrel has terrific support, but Ive been having some feed issues with it. As soon as I get my hands on a dremel tool Im going to try and polish the top of the chamber where the casing seems to be getting hung up. Im very happy with the support my lwd barrel offers. However, Im hearing more and more lately that theyve been selling barrels to people that have had their feed ramps over worked so that they arent much better for case support than the stock barrel. ymmv

G29SF
11-17-2011, 13:11
From what I've read here in the 10ring "mudrush" (from Swampfox ammo) reports that the Lone Wolf Distributing barrel has the best case support and from what I understand that's the only barrel he recommends for shooting his hottest loads.

My lwd barrel has terrific support, but Ive been having some feed issues with it. As soon as I get my hands on a dremel tool Im going to try and polish the top of the chamber where the casing seems to be getting hung up. Im very happy with the support my lwd barrel offers. However, Im hearing more and more lately that theyve been selling barrels to people that have had their feed ramps over worked so that they arent much better for case support than the stock barrel. ymmv

Correct on both.

Swamp Fox (mudrush) states that LWD barrels offer the most/best support and are recommended for his hottest loads.

I am one of those people that ordered a LWD barrel (not from Swamp Fox, another online retailer) but returned it because the feed-ramp intrusion and chamfering was no better than the stock Glock barrel. I returned it and got a KKM instead. The KKM that I received had better support than the LWD barrel that I returned.

Disclaimer: I am not stating all LWD barrels are the same as what I received. Just letting you know my specific one-off experience.

I shoot Swamp Fox's hottest loads with my KKM and a 23# recoil spring... without ANY signs of overpressure and ZERO case deformaties. Kegs is another that uses a KKM barrel and shoots hot custom loads. I am sure there are others.

Again, I'm not ragging on LWD. Just giving my experience.

I do however own two LWD 9x25 Dillon barrels. They work fine. (This is in addition to several other KKM barrels I own.)

arushus
11-17-2011, 13:43
Looks like I may just have to buy a kkm barrel, and sell my lwd barrel to whomever I can...I bought it from a guy for $90, said he only ran 60 rounds through it, let it sit for a while, then decided he wanted to go a different direction, longslide I believe, so he sold his stock length barrel to me. He said he never had any problems whatsoever with the barrel when he had it, and I believe him, but it is just my luck that it goes to sh1t and starts having problems when I get ahold of it. Since Im hearing the best things about kkm, I think Im gonna go with one of them.

G29SF
11-17-2011, 13:53
Looks like I may just have to buy a kkm barrel, and sell my lwd barrel to whomever I can...I bought it from a guy for $90, said he only ran 60 rounds through it, let it sit for a while, then decided he wanted to go a different direction, longslide I believe, so he sold his stock length barrel to me. He said he never had any problems whatsoever with the barrel when he had it, and I believe him, but it is just my luck that it goes to sh1t and starts having problems when I get ahold of it. Since Im hearing the best things about kkm, I think Im gonna go with one of them.

I don't think you will have any problems later on if it works OK now. To check for chamber/feed-ramp support, just drop a cartridge in the barrel when it is out of the gun. You can look at it compared to your stock barrel. If it looks good-to-go try shooting with it. If you don't have any feed issues move on to hotter loads. (If you do have feed issues, you may be able to polish it up and fix it. Swamp Fox (mudrush) says he has done this in the past.)

Get a stiffer recoil spring for hotter(est) loads.

When starting out with hot loads, chamber then drop the mag before firing. If there is any blow-out, having the mag out of the well should prevent any damage and/or injuries (or at least minimize it). This of course is if you are going to shoot really, really hot stuff. Just an added precaution for "testing" new loads.

Unless you don't like what you have, I would inspect it and try to use it. If it is good-to-go, it will always be good-to-go. It isn't going to change.

arushus
11-17-2011, 14:33
I don't think you will have any problems later on if it works OK now. To check for chamber/feed-ramp support, just drop a cartridge in the barrel when it is out of the gun. You can look at it compared to your stock barrel. If it looks good-to-go try shooting with it. If you don't have any feed issues move on to hotter loads. (If you do have feed issues, you may be able to polish it up and fix it. Swamp Fox (mudrush) says he has done this in the past.)

Get a stiffer recoil spring for hotter(est) loads.

When starting out with hot loads, chamber then drop the mag before firing. If there is any blow-out, having the mag out of the well should prevent any damage and/or injuries (or at least minimize it). This of course is if you are going to shoot really, really hot stuff. Just an added precaution for "testing" new loads.

Unless you don't like what you have, I would inspect it and try to use it. If it is good-to-go, it will always be good-to-go. It isn't going to change.

I guess Im confused about which part of my post gave you the impression that I thought my barrel was gonna quit working on me for some reason on down the road? I mean it has had feeding issues ever since I laid my hands on it. Or maybe I misunderstood your post, perhaps you could clarify?

Other than the feeding issues, the barrel and support on it are fine. And Im all over the situation with the hot stuff. Ive installed an ISMI 22lb spring a while back. Ive run through a couple boxes of swampfox's 135gr noslers already.

Like I said, it just has feed problems, and I dont expect it to magically change on me one day, once I polish up the top of it, hopefully it'll feed more reliably, but until I can get a dremel tool and do it myself, Ive just gotta deal with it for now. I just meant I may sell it and go with kkm if I just never get around to purchasing a dremel tool, or if I do and I still cant get it to feed...

G29SF
11-17-2011, 16:00
I guess Im confused about which part of my post gave you the impression that I thought my barrel was gonna quit working on me for some reason on down the road? I mean it has had feeding issues ever since I laid my hands on it. Or maybe I misunderstood your post, perhaps you could clarify?

Other than the feeding issues, the barrel and support on it are fine. And Im all over the situation with the hot stuff. Ive installed an ISMI 22lb spring a while back. Ive run through a couple boxes of swampfox's 135gr noslers already.

Like I said, it just has feed problems, and I dont expect it to magically change on me one day, once I polish up the top of it, hopefully it'll feed more reliably, but until I can get a dremel tool and do it myself, Ive just gotta deal with it for now. I just meant I may sell it and go with kkm if I just never get around to purchasing a dremel tool, or if I do and I still cant get it to feed...

You said something about it going to **** once you got your hands on it. Sorry, must have mis-understood. No worries. :)

ModGlock17
11-17-2011, 17:58
If I had to do it all over again, I'd go KKM. My LWD barrel, the later issues (May 2011?), perhaps later than Mike's recommendation, isn't as supported as I wanted.

Yes. I had feeding problems, too. But that went away when I changed to Wolf rod and springs. Only polished the ramp with 400grit paper and my finger as guide (stay away from Dremel, easy mistakes).

20SFLV
11-17-2011, 20:05
For my G20sf I bought a blind marked black LWD barrel.....
I had feed issues and my accuracy was not as good as it is with the stock barrel.

Wish I bought a KKM instead....my next barrel will be a KKM for my new G29sf...

I ordered a LWD 10mm barrel a month ago, but had concerns what I read so I just cancelled it. Now I am looking for a different brand.

dryfly
11-17-2011, 20:18
By no means was I bashing LWD...just stating my experience. I shot an email to LWD and they told me to send it back and they would look at it...I have heard their CS is very good. I still have it and will probably send it back to them and tell them I do not want it back. Truth is the accuracy problem bothers me more than the few feed issues I had. I probably just got a bad one...

rcd567
11-18-2011, 08:58
Whats Cod Bore doin to your frame?

Grip reduction, rounding the trigger guard.

20SFLV
11-18-2011, 20:13
Just ordered a KKM from the Glock Store today. Hope it comes in soon. Thanks for everyone's advice.

danattherock
11-19-2011, 10:13
Initial range report for my KKM in my G20...

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1380886

20SFLV
11-19-2011, 16:26
Initial range report for my KKM in my G20...

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1380886

I read that thread when you first posted it. That helped in my decision to get a KKM over a Storm Lake barrel. Hopefully I will get the barrel in another week or so. Also glad to support another Nevada business.

rcd567
11-19-2011, 17:44
Got my Lone Wolf barrel today.
Pros:

Finish is excellent.
Cartridge support is 100 percent better than my stock Glock barrel. Both in the chamber and at the bottom of the feed ramp.

Cons:

I won't have my frame back from Cold Bore Custom until the first or second week of December.:crying:
It sports the cartoon wolf on the chamber.:dunno:

As long as it performs I'll be a happy customer...time will tell.

ModGlock17
11-19-2011, 21:41
Got my Lone Wolf barrel today.
Pros:

Finish is excellent.
Cartridge support is 100 percent better than my stock Glock barrel. Both in the chamber and at the bottom of the feed ramp.

Cons:

I won't have my frame back from Cold Bore Custom until the first or second week of December.:crying:
It sports the cartoon wolf on the chamber.:dunno:

As long as it performs I'll be a happy customer...time will tell.

Does that mean they stopped shipping out the design that has less ramp support that several of us got (me, for one) ?

arushus
11-19-2011, 21:48
Does that mean they stopped shipping out the design that has less ramp support that several of us got (me, for one) ?

Good question...So how is the support on it anyway?

ModGlock17
11-19-2011, 22:41
FYI, my StormLake when I got it, and after I was done polishing it (G29).

arushus
11-20-2011, 00:04
That is a sharp looking barrel mod! Would you mind explaining to me how you did it? Ive been wanting to put a mirrored finish on my slide, but just dont know how...

ModGlock17
11-20-2011, 06:14
Rub it hard lengthwise (I meant the barrel :cool:). Well, I meant the Metal barrel! :rofl:

First, use 330grit sand paper to take out the machining lines. Rub perpendicular to the lines.

Second, use 600grit paper and do the same. They are best when you cut the paper to 2" square pieces. Wrap that around the barrel and rub lengthwise. Need about two pieces each per barrel.

Third, slightly WET the used 600paper and do it again, to a fair shine.

Fourth, go to beauty supply store and buy finger nail buffer, the finest grade (yellow colored sponge). Use that lengthwise, perhaps even wet it. Now, you should start to see mirror like shine.

Fifth, treat it hot with a hair dryer and frog lube.

ModGlock17
11-20-2011, 06:17
These finest grade finger nail buffer may be equivalent to 1000grit paper. FYI. The whole process is most tedious in the first two steps, should take about 20 min.

I haven't tried this yet, but a fine sponge and toothpaste may work pretty well for the later stages.

ModGlock17
11-20-2011, 20:49
My LWD vs StormLake barrel support. I had to use my son's Lego table because he already has the light set up. LWD on left and SLake (a little dirty) on right.

FYI.

Christopher67
11-21-2011, 07:06
My LWD vs StormLake barrel support. I had to use my son's Lego table because he already has the light set up. LWD on left and SLake (a little dirty) on right.

FYI.

Wow that Storm Lake barrel looks nicer, IF im seeing that correctly.

arushus
11-21-2011, 12:22
Looks like everybody is better than lwd's barrels anymore...kkm, stormlake, and barsto are all relatively close in support, lwd looks like a glock barrel!