Attempted robbery victim pulls gun on armed suspects (TN) [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Attempted robbery victim pulls gun on armed suspects (TN)

tonyparson
11-17-2011, 12:01
Plus 1 for the good guy.. :supergrin:

http://www.wrcbtv.com/story/16063018/chattanooga-police-investigating-shooting-in-woodmore-area

KennyFSU
11-17-2011, 12:14
Job well done! I think it's amazing when I hear stories of someone being held up at gunpoint and STILL being able to draw and shoot the BG without any harm being done to them. It's kind of amazing.

NavyMSU
11-17-2011, 12:41
Job well done! I think it's amazing when I hear stories of someone being held up at gunpoint and STILL being able to draw and shoot the BG without any harm being done to them. It's kind of amazing.

Most BG's are just thugs who don't expect law abiding citizens to carry or have the cajones to defend themselves.
BG: 'Gimme your wallet'
GG: Bang Bang Bang, "What?"

NavyMSU
11-17-2011, 12:45
He is being treated for what appears to be a non life-threatening wound to his stomach.
Must not have used hollow points like HSTs, Gold Dots or Ranger Ts.

Berto
11-17-2011, 12:49
It must frustrate the media when ordinary peasants competently defend themselves with firearms.

kj4963
11-17-2011, 12:56
It must frustrate the media when ordinary peasants competently defend themselves with firearms.
I agree totally.

KennyFSU
11-17-2011, 13:11
Good point MSU; us CCW people still have the element of surprise.

OctoberRust
11-17-2011, 13:53
Plus 1 for the good guy.. :supergrin:

http://www.wrcbtv.com/story/16063018/chattanooga-police-investigating-shooting-in-woodmore-area

Living with non-life threatening injuries? Must have been 9mm......

And whoever replies to this is horrible at detecting sarcasm on the interwebs.

NavyMSU
11-17-2011, 14:33
Living with non-life threatening injuries? Must have been 9mm......

And whoever replies to this is horrible at detecting sarcasm on the interwebs.

We need a sarcasm font!

ARCman47
11-17-2011, 14:39
We need a sarcasm font!

Good eye! :rofl:

Sierra9
11-17-2011, 14:40
How many of you would have the confidence to pull a gun on TWO people who have already pulled guns on you? I admit that I wouldn't.

NavyMSU
11-17-2011, 14:53
How many of you would have the confidence to pull a gun on TWO people who have already pulled guns on you? I admit that I wouldn't.
I've shot some IDPA course that require quick draw and close range (from the hip/waist) shooting double taps on two side by side targets and I was pretty quick and sufficiently accurate for belly/chest shots (I'm tall)..

But, you're right... Two guns? My tactical analysis would tell me I'm outgunned and would be wise to acquiesce to their request (wallet)

I guess it also depends on the law. In Texas we have the right of fresh pursuit when deadly force is threatened. After they turned their back to walk/run away I could open fire without them ever knowing. Crazy law, but it's happened before and cops didnt arrest the shooter.

In the case I'm thinking of (spring of this year, maybe April or May in Houston), the shooter (CCW holder) was held up in a Wafflehouse and then ran to his car to get his gun to open fire as the BGs were driving away.

Why he didn't have it in WH I dont know, they might have had a posted sign denying firearms.

Either way, the shooter in the article has big brass cojones!

pizza_pablo
11-17-2011, 15:20
At the risk of sounding like a bad ***...
I would hope that I would, having assessed the situation, properly...
I don't want to be a victim and bad guys deserve to be exterminated. There are plenty people on this planet. If some don't want to play along, nicely, we don't need them. If I assess iminent danger, like they are gonna shoot or beat me anyway, I believe I would take my chances defending myself and / or others.
I would also think that I am comfortable with my final resting place, should the incident end badly, for me.
"secure from rant"

OctoberRust
11-17-2011, 15:31
We need a sarcasm font!
:supergrin::supergrin:

HexHead
11-17-2011, 15:39
Assume they are going to shoot you anyway. Do you want to be the guy that got gunned down with his handgun still holstered?

itsaz
11-17-2011, 15:44
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pcVDmX4ho4

Beretta92guy
11-17-2011, 16:09
Awesome :)

fuzzy03cls
11-18-2011, 12:45
CHATTANOOGA is a crap hole. Sorry... I have a friend tat lives there & went to visit him 2 times. I did not carry a gun back then. I thought I was going to get jumped, killed, robbed or stabbed in the back.

RYT 2BER
11-18-2011, 12:51
Nice story!

The Machinist
11-18-2011, 12:51
LMAO!!! :rofl:

NavyMSU
11-18-2011, 13:10

Thank you for this!

G31
11-18-2011, 14:37
Must not have used hollow points like HSTs, Gold Dots or Ranger Ts.

Most abdomen GSWs are survivable, as are most chest GSWs. Nothing odd about that.

Deye76
11-18-2011, 17:05
+1 for "awesome"

Lord
11-23-2011, 20:33
I have actually eye witnessed a robbery take place where the perpetrator pulled out a gun, but didn't actually point it at the victim in an obvious effort to show that he had a gun, but not be so blatant as to draw other attention to himself. (I was standing around a corner and saw through two corner windows) It may very well be that these guys pulled their pistols in the same manner, and quick draw mcgraw was able to defend himself as he did.

1canvas
11-23-2011, 20:48
Assume they are going to shoot you anyway. Do you want to be the guy that got gunned down with his handgun still holstered?
thats how i see it. to many times they get your money then pump a couple rounds in you for kicks.

NEOH212
11-24-2011, 22:47
Things could have ended much differently if he choose not to be armed at work. I'm glad to see he put his life and safety over his job. By him doing so, he lived to see another day.

jhoagland
11-24-2011, 23:01
I've shot some IDPA course that require quick draw and close range (from the hip/waist) shooting double taps on two side by side targets and I was pretty quick and sufficiently accurate for belly/chest shots (I'm tall)..

But, you're right... Two guns? My tactical analysis would tell me I'm outgunned and would be wise to acquiesce to their request (wallet)

I guess it also depends on the law. In Texas we have the right of fresh pursuit when deadly force is threatened. After they turned their back to walk/run away I could open fire without them ever knowing. Crazy law, but it's happened before and cops didnt arrest the shooter.

In the case I'm thinking of (spring of this year, maybe April or May in Houston), the shooter (CCW holder) was held up in a Wafflehouse and then ran to his car to get his gun to open fire as the BGs were driving away.

Why he didn't have it in WH I dont know, they might have had a posted sign denying firearms.

Either way, the shooter in the article has big brass cojones!

Why do you think that is a crazy law??

BamaTrooper
11-24-2011, 23:04

... and then call the rober a "shooting victim".

Misty02
11-25-2011, 07:17

Iím also curious as to how much training those that achieve it have versus working with the element of surprise. We practice constantly and have taken several professional classes, learn disarmed techniques and the like. Iíve yet to succeed in drawing and firing (airsoft in those cases) against an already drawn firearm (and had the bruises to prove how miserably I failed).

If I believe Iím a goner anyway, I may decide to take one with me; otherwise, it may not be the first thought that pops into my head (I think).

Good article, Iím glad the GG won that round.

SCmasterblaster
11-25-2011, 08:51
He only slightly wounded one of the two close-range target criminal. Had they been more adept and motivated, they would have shot it out and likely won against the poor shooter. :upeyes:

blk69stang
11-25-2011, 09:37
Re: the comments about drawing and firing successfully on two BGs that have already drawn...

I wonder if what the BGs were "expecting" to happen overrode what they saw "actually" happen. I.E., they told him to hand over his wallet, so the vic reaches behind himself while saying "no problem, I'll give you my wallet, just don't shoot". They're expecting him to bring his hand back around holding a black wallet, but instead he's holding a black gun. There could be up to several seconds for the BG to realize "hey, that black thing in his hand extended toward me isn't a wallet", and that could be the edge the GG needs.

Either that or the classic wallet-toss-while-drawing-handgun could put the BG off guard as they naturally try to catch the tossed wallet.

SCmasterblaster
11-25-2011, 10:41
Re: the comments about drawing and firing successfully on two BGs that have already drawn...

I wonder if what the BGs were "expecting" to happen overrode what they saw "actually" happen. I.E., they told him to hand over his wallet, so the vic reaches behind himself while saying "no problem, I'll give you my wallet, just don't shoot". They're expecting him to bring his hand back around holding a black wallet, but instead he's holding a black gun. There could be up to several seconds for the BG to realize "hey, that black thing in his hand extended toward me isn't a wallet", and that could be the edge the GG needs.

Either that or the classic wallet-toss-while-drawing-handgun could put the BG off guard as they naturally try to catch the tossed wallet.

Thanks for the valuable advice!

ked
11-25-2011, 17:12

''Thank God for guns, eh Jerry?'':rofl:

notice how Denny Crane had planned on having his right hand free when he handed over his wallet. i have a different routine, and probably won't be so cool, but i at least have a plan.:whistling:

i think that the BGs OODA cycle would be disrupted when the GG pulls his gun instead of a wallet. by the time the BG figures it out, multiple shots would have been fired. hopefully the GG is moving and shooting to minimize the risk of getting hit.

obviously, there are no guarantees, even with 1 BG. as my instructor said, '' No amount of preparedness guarantees success."

ked:wavey: