Short barrel ammo [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Short barrel ammo

chicky
11-17-2011, 16:23
What is the difference between short barrel ammo and regular ammo. I have a g23 and a g36. Use regular ammo in both. Am I missing out on something.

barth
11-17-2011, 16:38
What is the difference between short barrel ammo and regular ammo. I have a g23 and a g36. Use regular ammo in both. Am I missing out on something.

Short Barrel ammo has a HP specially designed to expand at low velocities.
If you look at it the opening is wide and deep.
http://www.speer-ammo.com/ballistics/ammo.aspx
Guess which one is the Short Barrel - LOL!
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_a5hZiox29CQ/SE8bxis2hqI/AAAAAAAAAD8/VJ-dCFEC0oY/s320/38SpecDPXvsGDvsLSWCHPtile2.jpg

The 40 is designed for 3.5 inch and 45 for 4 inch barrels.
I woundn't recommend it for your G23. Just use regular GDHP 155/165 gr.
(Even in the G27 I like the regular rounds, the SB version is sub-sonic 180gr)
It would be an option for the G36 though.
45s don't generally do as well in short barrels compared to 40/357 sig/9mm

Truth is you're really just fine with any high tech bullet these days.
Winchester Ranger T-Series
Federal HST
Speer GDHP

(I like Winchester Ranger T-Series 230 gr +P in 45 myself)

The SB ammo really shines in snub nose 2" barrel revolvers.
Particularly in 38. It's far and away the very best round available.
Check out FBI protocol testing -
http://www.speer-ammo.com/products/bullet_tests.htm

CanyonMan
11-17-2011, 16:40

NO !

Especially in the 45acp. Even with the shorter barrel. I own one myself, as well as a cajillion other things. Old school of thought was 50fps loss of vel per inch. Actually this is a good thought for a rifle but not a pistol. 35 FPS per inch is more like it. If you shoot say WW PDX1 230 gr out of that G36, you will be about 865fps at the least. Plenty enough for the 45acp. In fact normal average vels, 850-875 is great.

The short barrel offering, by folks like Speer, as much as I like speer, are put together with a tad different powder and bullet design to achieve a 'higher vel' from a shorter barreled gun.

Why sacrifice the full advantage of a 'regular round' for a few FPS. It really is not this big a deal. If you want more vel and think your needs call for it, and you do NOT hand load, then get a P+ round.

If you go with say a Speer 124gr+P in the G23, or my Favorite's 180gr Ranger T Series P+, or the WW PDX1 180gr. You will have all you need from that G23 I assure you.

Don't buy into the marketing hype on so many of these products. You would be fine with any of these offerings above in your G36 or G23.

One more. The 180gr XTP TAP by Hornady for the G23. I personally prefer the bonded PDX1 in 180gr, or the Ranger T series P+ 180gr for the G23.

Point is. These will all work well and give you the deep penetration you need for getting to the vitals in some big 300# felon and not sacrifice bullet design to get there. These will work fine for these two guns...

Good luck and stay safe..

CM

.38 super
11-17-2011, 22:28
Winchester Ranger T-Series
(I like Winchester Ranger T-Series 230 gr +P in 45 myself)
Isn't it Ranger -T essentially the old Black Talon without the black coating ?

CanyonMan
11-18-2011, 00:03

YES! For the most part. man WW has so many variences (sp) off all thier stuff I can't hardly keep up. I do know that I guy at WW did tell me on the phone that the T-series were just that. The BT without the black.. Whether it is or not, I like them as well...

Good shooting

CM

chicky
11-21-2011, 16:49
Thank you guys. Answers my question. Will not use short barrel ammo. Will use the good stuff I have.

barth
11-21-2011, 17:03

They are related, but different.
Gen 1 Black Talon
Gen 2 SXT
Gen 3 Ranger T-Series

This is the evolution of that line.
But if you look at the bullets, they are each different.
The Ranger T-Series is a definite improvement over its granddaddy the Black Talon.

I think a distributor indicated there may be a Gen 4 Ranger T-Series as well?

I guess the new 230 gr 45. +P Ranger T-Series could be considered a next gen?

.38 super
11-21-2011, 23:12
They are related, but different.
Gen 1 Black Talon
Gen 2 SXT
Gen 3 Ranger T-Series

This is the evolution of that line.
But if you look at the bullets, they are each different.
The Ranger T-Series is a definite improvement over its granddaddy the Black Talon.

I think a distributor indicated there may be a Gen 4 Ranger T-Series as well.

I guess the new 230 gr 45. +P Ranger T-Series could be considered a next gen?Thanks for the info, I knew there was a slight difference but didn't know that there are actually 3 "generations"...Interesting. I still have some of the Black Talons, I keep it for reference...:supergrin:

hotpig
11-22-2011, 08:04
Gen 1 Black Talon
Gen 2 Ranger SXT
Gen 3 Ranger T-Series
Gen 4 Ranger T-Series Enhanced

Zombie Steve
11-22-2011, 08:38
YES! For the most part. man WW has so many variences (sp) off all thier stuff I can't hardly keep up. I do know that I guy at WW did tell me on the phone that the T-series were just that. The BT without the black.. Whether it is or not, I like them as well...

Good shooting

CM

Man, you keep typing WW and I keep getting excited about wheel weights. Being addicted to casting is a sad, sad thing.

:whistling:

CanyonMan
11-22-2011, 08:52
Man, you keep typing WW and I keep getting excited about wheel weights. Being addicted to casting is a sad, sad thing.

:whistling:

If i take up castng, will it make ya feel better amigo ? :supergrin:

Man feel proud. I envy you 'and the good job your doing' on your casting... I wish I had the time to do it, but cannot at present in my situation. Perhaps next spring/summer I will be in a position where i can get into it. You'll have to teach and coach me at the rate your going.... ;)

Keep up the good work

CM