Exploding Rounds [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Exploding Rounds

Zut
11-17-2011, 18:08
I was at a high power rifle match last weekend. One guy was shooting some kind of tricked out .308 match rifle and about half his rounds exploded in a little puff of smoke about 10 yards out of the barrel. What causes this?

Atomic Punk
11-17-2011, 18:23
assuming that whole story is not a puff of smoke? :P
could be a very high rate of twist on the barrel and its making enough centripetal force to tear the bullet apart.

wanderinwalker
11-17-2011, 22:05
Bullets coming apart from jacket failure. Could be from velocity and spin speed (highly unlikely at .308 speeds with standard .30-caliber projectiles), could be a bad batch of bullets (more likely) or some bullets got damaged while being seated into the cases (also more likely).

I've never actually seen a puff of smoke when one goes, but I've shot at enough rifle matches I've witnessed the magical disappearing bullet more than once. The shooter will call it down the middle and we'll look for a mark, only to have a miss come back.

Zut
11-18-2011, 06:22
Thanks WW. That makes sense. We noticed that whenever this guy had to really slap his bolt to get it to close, the bullet disintegrated. My squad mate made the comment that that might be jamming the bullet into the lands and damaging the jacket.

Darkker
11-19-2011, 19:28
Centrifugal force is what rips bullets apart...
Centripetal holds them together