Revolver as secondary weapon? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Revolver as secondary weapon?

fpgeek
11-17-2011, 22:33
Just came across an incredible deal for my agency. I could get enough Smith-Wesson M36 and 38 revolvers to equip all of our officers for the incredibly low price of $60 total.

My question to all is, is this a viable secondary weapon? The issue primary weapon is a Glock 21.

Ajon412
11-17-2011, 22:45
Heck Yea, especially for that price, you really can't go wrong.....I was weaned on revolvers and still carry them as a BUG / off duty weapon. Good luck with them....

Sgt127
11-17-2011, 22:57
Are you serious? If you only had ONE Officer, it would be an incredible deal. I've got over 25 years in. Started with a Govt Model and now carry a Glock 22. But, I carried a Smith 640 for the first 5-6 years and then a 642 until now as a BUG. I played for awhile with a PM9, but, I could never be sure it would be as reliable, upside down, weak hand, stuffed into someones bread basket, as a revolver. In my humble opion, nothing beats a J frame as a BUG. Nothing. They just, work.

blueiron
11-17-2011, 23:51
I carried a S&W model 38 for years, then went to a model 640. I got the auto bug and tried the G27 and just never got comfortable with it. I returned to the 640 and kept it until I walked away.

I started with a revolver and never felt undergunned any time I carried one as a primary or secondary handgun.

collim1
11-18-2011, 00:05
That is an awesome deal, and the jframes make great BUG/off-duty guns. I would prefer the concealed hammer model for snag free pocket and ankle carry.

I have been carrying a 442 as a on-duty BUG/discreet off-duty carry gun since 2003.

Is that an exclusive deal you have come across, or is it something other agencies could get into. Over half the guys I work with dont carry a BUG and fewer than that carry off-duty.

There would be little excuse with a free jframe.

Bullman
11-18-2011, 02:11
Exactly, I dont' think it would be a problem talking guys into carrying a back up at those prices.

DaBigBR
11-18-2011, 03:54
Do. It.

Hedo1
11-18-2011, 04:47
That's a screaming good price for a great revolver.

Landric
11-18-2011, 06:16
Yeah, do it. I regularly carry a small revolver as a BUG. They are quite effective, easy to conceal, and not as effected by dirt and grime that usually comes with BUG carry, especially in uniform.

Bruce M
11-18-2011, 06:51
It is a deal that is good enough such that you will probably have to spend more on holsters and ammo than on the gun and possibly more on either holsters or ammo. And as neasr as I can tell J frames have a decade or so longer at being the "gold standard" for plainclothes/off duty carry than whatever pistol is that standard today.

Hack
11-18-2011, 07:28
Darn good price. If you should have an extra ... :whistling:

ChuteTheMall
11-18-2011, 07:40
Those would make wonderful Christmas presents

:santa:

cowboywannabe
11-18-2011, 08:20
i cant believe your agency put somebody whom has to ask this, in charge of such a decision.

fpgeek
11-18-2011, 08:57
Are you serious? If you only had ONE Officer, it would be an incredible deal. I've got over 25 years in. Started with a Govt Model and now carry a Glock 22. But, I carried a Smith 640 for the first 5-6 years and then a 642 until now as a BUG. I played for awhile with a PM9, but, I could never be sure it would be as reliable, upside down, weak hand, stuffed into someones bread basket, as a revolver. In my humble opion, nothing beats a J frame as a BUG. Nothing. They just, work.

I'm VERY serious. One revolver for EVERY sworn officer, $60 flat fee. I do the "creative" acquisitions for our agency and when I saw this I was amazed. Had to lobby the Chief a little, but it worked.

fpgeek
11-18-2011, 09:00
That is an awesome deal, and the jframes make great BUG/off-duty guns. I would prefer the concealed hammer model for snag free pocket and ankle carry.

I have been carrying a 442 as a on-duty BUG/discreet off-duty carry gun since 2003.

Is that an exclusive deal you have come across, or is it something other agencies could get into. Over half the guys I work with dont carry a BUG and fewer than that carry off-duty.

There would be little excuse with a free jframe.

PM me with an ORI and I'll fill you in. The supplier is, well, motivated.

fpgeek
11-18-2011, 09:02
i cant believe your agency put somebody whom has to ask this, in charge of such a decision.

If the decision were mine alone, we wouldn't have the discussion and if necessary, I would pony up the $60 myself. But while highly regarded, I'm not that high up on the agency food chain.

fpgeek
11-18-2011, 09:06

If you are BOP, you could get in on it too with management approval. PM me with an ORI if possible.

cowboywannabe
11-18-2011, 09:08
If the decision were mine alone, we wouldn't have the discussion and if necessary, I would pony up the $60 myself. But while highly regarded, I'm not that high up on the agency food chain.

sorry, i thought you were trolling.....seemed like an open and shut decision.

fpgeek
11-18-2011, 09:35
sorry, i thought you were trolling.....seemed like an open and shut decision.

No, just looking for opinion to bolster my lobbying efforts. The "green light" was received just after I posted this. Turns out I "almost" didn't need it since the Chief is a retired State Trooper and they were issued M38 pistols as BUGs at the academy.

This Chief was better than the last one, however, when it came to lobbying.

msu_grad_121
11-18-2011, 10:01

Yeah, no lie! Keep some of us posted, wil ya? :rofl:

Magicmanmb
11-18-2011, 11:41
For that deal I would consider moving to Lansing. Got my first Model 10 and never worried I still have 3 snubbies 2 642's & my son (14) likes a Colt D Special mostly sentimental value. I carried my Model 19 as long as I could before I went to an auto. I was also the last to go to .40 Glock. Now I can carry what I wan't 9mm since the ammo is on me also.

Patchman
11-18-2011, 11:44
$60? $60 each or $60 total for the whole gang? I'll offer you $70 for every one you hold for me.

dakrat
11-18-2011, 11:48
Just came across an incredible deal for my agency. I could get enough Smith-Wesson M36 and 38 revolvers to equip all of our officers for the incredibly low price of $60 total.

My question to all is, is this a viable secondary weapon? The issue primary weapon is a Glock 21.

No, I will give you $160 for a hundred dollar profit lol

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Ajon412
11-18-2011, 12:15
$60? $60 each or $60 total for the whole gang? I'll offer you $70 for every one you hold for me.

I believe it's for his entire department...:shocked:

BTW, just how many officers are assigned to your agency???

fastbolt
11-18-2011, 14:05
Good deal, I'd think, but I'd also suggest some thoughts ...

Are your people trained & familiar in the use of revolvers? If not, there's sometimes a learning curve involved in transitioning a "pistol shooter" to DA/DAO revolvers :whistling: ... and the smallest 5-shot revolvers are often harder for even dedicated revolver shooters to use acurately & effectively. The alloy framed models are sometimes a bit harder than the steel ones, too. Just depends.

Do you have the training staff to make this move?

Do you have the ammunition to allow transition training, qualification and issued duty ammunition?

Going to standardize on a "secondary duty" & off-duty holster? Issued or personal purchase of an approved selection(s)?

Do you have any S&W revolver armorers on staff? S&W still offers revolver armorer training, and it's good for the current production "Modern Style". (They offer a standard revolver class, a revolver class including the DAO J's and a class just for the DAO J's, so you can get one for just about any of your needs.)

Are these "new production" or used guns? Just curious.

I own more than half a dozen 5-shot .38/.357's and I commonly used one or another as an off-duty (and now retirement) weapon. I've worked with a number of our guys who decided to carry them as either secondary or off-duty weapons in recent years.

The venerable 5-shot .38 is making a strong come-back in the LE field, especially when it comes to a secondary/back-up weapon.

S&W just made a production run of a .38-only M&P 340-type DAO gun, didn't they (meaning not chambered in .357 Magnum)? I tend to think the DAO Centennial style is the most practical, myself, but that starts to get into the preference perspective and is best determined by each user/user agency. NMSP went with new style M637's, as I recall, when they bought M&P 357's in recent years.

Luck to you in your decision and however it's implemented. ;)

Steve in PA
11-18-2011, 15:10
I've recently added a S&W 642 as my BUG too, both for on and off-duty. Definitely go for it!

mikegun
11-18-2011, 18:54
the great thing about a snubby as a bu gun , is they wont jam and more then that they will not get stuck out of battery like an auto will, if one is fighting and close up i really cant thing of a better bu, i carried a colt cobra for 25yrs while OTJ and used same...

lawman800
11-19-2011, 03:31

Are your people trained & familiar in the use of revolvers? If not, there's sometimes a learning curve involved in transitioning a "pistol shooter" to DA/DAO revolvers :whistling: ... and the smallest 5-shot revolvers are often harder for even dedicated revolver shooters to use acurately & effectively. The alloy framed models are sometimes a bit harder than the steel ones, too. Just depends.

Do you have the ammunition to allow transition training, qualification and issued duty ammunition?

Going to standardize on a "secondary duty" & off-duty holster? Issued or personal purchase of an approved selection(s)?

Do you have any S&W revolver armorers on staff? S&W still offers revolver armorer training, and it's good for the current production "Modern Style". (They offer a standard revolver class, a revolver class including the DAO J's and a class just for the DAO J's, so you can get one for just about any of your needs.)

I own more than half a dozen 5-shot .38/.357's and I commonly used one or another as an off-duty (and now retirement) weapon. I've worked with a number of our guys who decided to carry them as either secondary or off-duty weapons in recent years.

The venerable 5-shot .38 is making a strong come-back in the LE field, especially when it comes to a secondary/back-up weapon.

S&W just made a production run of a .38-only M&P 340-type DAO gun, didn't they (meaning not chambered in .357 Magnum)? I tend to think the DAO Centennial style is the most practical, myself, but that starts to get into the preference perspective and is best determined by each user/user agency. NMSP went with new style M637's, as I recall, when they bought M&P 357's in recent years.

Not sure if they make them anymore but there was this hammer shroud attachment that converts the M36 into a sort of M49 Bodyguard type of weapon which makes it easier to carry in a pocket. That's the only reservation I would have with the M36 type of revolver with the full exposed hammer spur.

My first backup weapon was a M640-1 Centennial. My current backup weapon is a M642 Centennial Airweight. I switched to save 8oz. in my pocket. Believe me, 1/2 pound is a lot when it's in your pants pocket. Besides, I will never shoot a full magnum out of a j-frame so it makes no sense to lug the heavier M640-1.

For $60, you would be beyond foolish to not jump on it. There is a reason the j-frame is the solid choice of backup and even off duty weapon for cops all around the world for as long as they have been in production.

As for holsters... I use a Mika pocket holster. Others prefer the ankle carry. Whatever works for the officer.

Steve in PA
11-19-2011, 13:33
I picked up an Uncle Mike's pocket holster when I got the 642, and the several times I've been out and about with it, its worked great.

I will be getting an ankle holster for when I'm wearing something IWB/OWB. I've been using an UM ankle holster for my G-26, and I have no complaints.

As a BUG for on duty work, I just got the UM vest holster and it been working great too.

fastbolt
11-19-2011, 14:01
... the only reservation I would have with the M36 type of revolver with the full exposed hammer spur.

My first backup weapon was a M640-1 Centennial. My current backup weapon is a M642 Centennial Airweight. I switched to save 8oz. in my pocket. Believe me, 1/2 pound is a lot when it's in your pants pocket. ...

Others prefer the ankle carry. Whatever works for the officer.

Yeah, once I'd been carrying a M36 around as a young cop and had the hammer snag on my clothing, I decided a 649 was a better alternative. Still heavy for a .38 Spl, but no more snagging. My agency didn't prohibit SA mode in a secondary or off-duty revolver, so the 649 also gave me some better practical accuracy when running it at longer distances (if only to check my basics and accuracy at longer distances on the range).

It wasn't until I finally decided to order an Airweight, though, being an early 642-1, that I finally realized I could utilize the little 5-shot gun to better advantage by having more pocket carry options. Nice. It was the first of what became 5 aluminum (and scandium aluminum) J's.

I still have that older 649, as well as a Ruger SP101 DAO, but the all-steel guns don't see nearly as much carry use as the lighter ones.

Of course, some folks do seem to benefit by shooting the heavier all-steel models, and that's the compromise of weight v. controllability & practical accuracy is one they have to determine for themselves.

I've never been particularly enthused about ankle carry, myself. It tend to put the weapon as far away from your hand as is possible, and still have it remain on your person. ;) Sure, it does tend to be useful when seated in a car, where you can easily (and unobtrusively) reach your ankle, but in most other instances it requires a dedicated re-positioning of your body (and balance) in order to access the weapon.

That can prove inconvenient while rolling around on the ground, clearing fences and any number of other physical obstructions with your feet & ankles. Trying to fight off an attacker while standing or laying on the ground can make that ankle holster seem pretty far out of reach, at times. It also doesn't even begin to address the increased exposure to dirt, debris, weather and other potential contaminants as your pant leg rises with each step.

I still remember this fed who was sitting in a coffee shop one day, in plain clothes, and who seemed completely oblivious to how his ankle-holstered weapon was totally exposed after he'd crossed one of his legs over the other. Nobody seemed anxious to walk too close to his little coffee table. :upeyes:

One of the things that continues to make the 5-shot revolver, especially the DAO or shrouded hammer models, seem a practical choice for some folks is when observing them shooting the revolvers for quals alongside any number of diminutive "pocket pistols". The revolver shooters seem to exhibit a reduced frequency of shooter-related problems, stoppages, etc than the folks shooting the little pistols. I'd think that deserves some careful consideration, especially when the secondary weapon may end up being exposed to more dirt and borderline abusive conditions due to some carry methods.

The DAO revolver trigger is pretty predictable to someone who trains and practices with it, too. It can sometimes cause some issues for folks who aren't used to allowing a full trigger recovery, though.

fastbolt
11-19-2011, 14:30
I picked up an Uncle Mike's pocket holster when I got the 642, and the several times I've been out and about with it, its worked great.

As a BUG for on duty work, I just got the UM vest holster and it been working great too.

I've got a handful of the UM pocket holsters for some of my J's. They seem to work well enough for my needs and are relatively inexpensive to replace when they become too worn.

Does your agency require you to draw from your vest holster for quals?

Can you access it consistently well and quickly when under stress? (You know how sometimes even trying to reach under a loose jacket becomes really difficult when stress is introduced.)

Do you have it set up for dominant or non-dominant hand access (primarily)?

I don't mean to pry, and I'm not implying any judgment of your chosen carry method, but I'm always curious about the experience of other folks when it comes this sort of work-related equipment issue. ;)

Lt Scott 14
11-19-2011, 16:58
J frames are a winner. When the dinosaurs roamed and we carried revolvers (M66 357 mag) a j frame was the "off duty" package. We went to G22s, j frames still used. There was talk of G27s and a few new guys went that route, older guys had and kept j frames. I sold a well carried M49 bodyguard and bought a M442 and didn't look back. Pocket carried, or holster, or vest carry all went perfect. Glad it was with me on a couple times during stops and warrant serving details. Turned in a G22 on retirement, and still have my M442, and a G19 to CCW. Neither misses a beat if needed.

lawman800
11-19-2011, 17:06
Guys wear their holsters for quals so we have guys digging out their J's from their ankle holsters or pocket holsters on the line as we qual. However, it is not under a stress situation and it is not required for every shoot string. We dig it out once and we just keep shooting until we are done with the course.

25pd
11-19-2011, 17:47
fp- great deal and please don't pass on such a great deal for you and you men!!

Steve in PA
11-19-2011, 18:14
Off-duty or BUGs are drawn from a holster. I've used OWB and ankle before. This year was the first time using a vest holster. It is set up on my left side for right hand draw. Yes, I can access it under stress.

blueberry1177
11-19-2011, 18:39
hahaha how can I get in on this deal!?!?!?

fastbolt
11-19-2011, 20:10
Off-duty or BUGs are drawn from a holster. I've used OWB and ankle before. This year was the first time using a vest holster. It is set up on my left side for right hand draw. Yes, I can access it under stress.

It's something to enjoy when someone puts some thought into their gear and practices with it. ;)

fpgeek
11-19-2011, 21:29

$60 total to equip all personnel with this weapon. Like to help you with the hold, but it isn't worth me going to Milan FCI for a few years.

fpgeek
11-19-2011, 21:32
hahaha how can I get in on this deal!?!?!?

If you're sworn your department has to make the request. PM me with an ORI and I'll fill you in.

fpgeek
11-19-2011, 21:36
fp- great deal and please don't pass on such a great deal for you and you men!!

The tough part was getting the Chief to say "yes". Fortunately I've got some motivated personnel at State Surplus to help.

fpgeek
11-19-2011, 21:45
Yeah, no lie! Keep some of us posted, wil ya? :rofl:

I'll keep you all posted as this progresses. Right now I'm waiting on weapon serial numbers from the holding agency to finish the requisition.

fpgeek
11-19-2011, 21:48
Nine paid, sworn personnel.

fpgeek
11-19-2011, 21:52
I believe it's for his entire department...:shocked:

BTW, just how many officers are assigned to your agency???

We have nine paid and fully sworn officers, so we can get up to nine pistols. If we had more qualifying personnel, it would still be $60 for the lot.

fpgeek
11-19-2011, 22:06

Most of our officers started when revolvers were primary weapons, so that may not be a problem. Holsters are already "officer's choice" with command approval. Our firearm instructor is also our armorer and a SW armorer course is accessible too. MSP HQ and academy is a short distance away and can help also. The weapons are federal property and were carried much but shot little. Prior to release they had to be checked out by a federal armorer per their rules, though I'm having my gunsmith look it over before I carry it.

fastbolt
11-19-2011, 22:19
Most of our officers started when revolvers were primary weapons, so that may not be a problem. Holsters are already "officer's choice" with command approval. Our firearm instructor is also our armorer and a SW armorer course is accessible too. MSP HQ and academy is a short distance away and can help also. The weapons are federal property and were carried much but shot little. Prior to release they had to be checked out by a federal armorer per their rules, though I'm having my gunsmith look it over before I carry it.

Sounds pretty good.

Having a bunch of folks who used to carry service revolvers may just mean helping some of them knock the dust off their revolver skills. ;)

SCSU74
11-20-2011, 18:52
That's what I carry. G21 with 637 on vest.

lawman800
11-20-2011, 20:11
Great deal, if your agency can piggy back on this, do it!

Arvinator
11-21-2011, 07:26
I first say that this is a no brainer. But I have to back up since I had arranged for our agency of 14 officers to get new J frame snubbies a couple of years ago and the chief instead ordered Glock 27's. Sadly, the 27's are hardly carried off duty, and ever less carried as a backup weapon.
Me personally, I carry TWO J frames to work every night as backup. One in a pocket, the other hidden in my armor. Been wearing a J frame for 22 years as a backup and never felt the need to change. Thing about those baby Glocks is they are fine compact handguns, but lousy hidden guns for a uniform copper. Lucky for us, that chief got canned earlier this year but the budget cannot afford any changes for us.
Wish you well on the snubbies.

Magicmanmb
11-22-2011, 11:06
One department allows any backup they can qualify with. A lot have chosen either PT380 orP32's Kel-tec. A lot of these are officers that 15 years took Grendel Pistols they had purchased & tossed them off the end of a pier.

Now all are carrying J frames with 1 or 2 Taurus 9mm revolvers. All qualified with them @ 7yds. 50 rounds every quarter. .38 158gr wc or 125gr cor-bon JHP.

fpgeek
11-23-2011, 07:19
I first say that this is a no brainer. But I have to back up since I had arranged for our agency of 14 officers to get new J frame snubbies a couple of years ago and the chief instead ordered Glock 27's. Sadly, the 27's are hardly carried off duty, and ever less carried as a backup weapon.
Me personally, I carry TWO J frames to work every night as backup. One in a pocket, the other hidden in my armor. Been wearing a J frame for 22 years as a backup and never felt the need to change. Thing about those baby Glocks is they are fine compact handguns, but lousy hidden guns for a uniform copper. Lucky for us, that chief got canned earlier this year but the budget cannot afford any changes for us.
Wish you well on the snubbies.

PM me with an ORI for details. No reason you guys can't get in on this.

SCSU74
11-23-2011, 10:33
One department allows any backup they can qualify with. A lot have chosen either PT380 orP32's Kel-tec. A lot of these are officers that 15 years took Grendel Pistols they had purchased & tossed them off the end of a pier.

Now all are carrying J frames with 1 or 2 Taurus 9mm revolvers. All qualified with them @ 7yds. 50 rounds every quarter. .38 158gr wc or 125gr cor-bon JHP.

Wish our qual was that close! We have to shoot out to 25 yds with them, not fun.

lawman800
11-23-2011, 12:57
Your qual is more than twice as hard as ours. We shoot 10 rounds from the 3 yard line at the tiny triangle in the head of the B27. Sometimes we do off hand. Woohoo!

50 Cent
11-23-2011, 21:47
Didn't Jim Cirillo use revolvers exclusively in his time on the NY Stake Out Squad? Given the gunfights he won, doesn't seem like he was compromised by that choice (and semi's were available - one of his partners carried a 1911).

Of course, just reading between the lines of some of the descriptions of some his "encounters" he may have been a naturally talented individual - so maybe its sort of the "man" not the "tool".

lawman800
11-24-2011, 02:24
Didn't Jim Cirillo use revolvers exclusively in his time on the NY Stake Out Squad? Given the gunfights he won, doesn't seem like he was compromised by that choice (and semi's were available - one of his partners carried a 1911).

Of course, just reading between the lines of some of the descriptions of some his "encounters" he may have been a naturally talented individual - so maybe its sort of the "man" not the "tool".

Jim is a true gunfighter in every sense of the word. He carried his main revolver and had his "New York Reload" second revolver always at hand.

That guy is as tough as they come. Lots of respect.

Bullman
11-24-2011, 04:04
Another revolver guy, from a little earlier era, was Jelly Bryce. Came up through the Oklahoma City PD and went on to work for the FBI going after tough customers on the most wanted list. He was no doubt a "naturally talented" shooter.

Magicmanmb
11-24-2011, 09:12
Your qual is more than twice as hard as ours. We shoot 10 rounds from the 3 yard line at the tiny triangle in the head of the B27. Sometimes we do off hand. Woohoo!

My guess is that will change shortly the free ammo for the .45GAP that the state went to is almost gone. So when they find out what it's going to cost to purchase it'll be new pistols or back to G22 or G17. I know of 2 departments going back to good quality 9mm. One is saving enough in ammo to buy 2 new cars. Some of the patrol cars in the state are pushing the miles used to be they went at 130K now a lot are on the road at 175K & more. It's left up to each department how many times per year but at least twice. The more active areas go more often.

Magicmanmb
11-24-2011, 09:17
Wish our qual was that close! We have to shoot out to 25 yds with them, not fun.

I have enough problems seeing 25yds with my J frame much less qualifying.
25yds is left for the Issue or personal carry full size

Bullman
11-24-2011, 10:43
My guess is that will change shortly the free ammo for the .45GAP that the state went to is almost gone. So when they find out what it's going to cost to purchase it'll be new pistols or back to G22 or G17. I know of 2 departments going back to good quality 9mm. One is saving enough in ammo to buy 2 new cars. Some of the patrol cars in the state are pushing the miles used to be they went at 130K now a lot are on the road at 175K & more. It's left up to each department how many times per year but at least twice. The more active areas go more often.

Wow, that is pretty tired. Cars are better than when I started I think, but I would hate to see one at that mileage, knowing what I have seen at lower mileage in the past. They get that old and you spend just about as much money keeping them on the road as you would buying a new one.

Hack
11-24-2011, 11:02
If you are BOP, you could get in on it too with management approval. PM me with an ORI if possible.

I don't know that they would approve it for one single purchase, but I will check with one of the lead firearm instructors and some others of the local brain trust.

Maybe some others would be interested as well. They pretty much like us to just go out and buy our own for off duty, which means the agency is not involved at all, except for getting the LE discount as others would.

series1811
11-24-2011, 15:42

For $60? Absolutely.

Back up is back up. We had an agent who was relieved of his .45 auto when undercover and shot once. He rolled out of a moving car in the woods and slid down a ravine. The dopers stopped and backed up to finish him off, changing their minds when he cranked off several rounds at them from his .38 back up they had missed.

fpgeek
11-27-2011, 17:01

You may have a point. LAPD has returned to issuing G17 pistols out of the academy, but allowing personally owned .40 and .45 pistols.

fpgeek
11-27-2011, 17:05
I have an appointment to talk to the federal agency holding the revolvers. The logistics guy in charge confided that he "doesn't know guns at all", so we will have a conference call with their security people so we don't get screwed.