Which Barrel? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Which Barrel?

JBaird22
11-17-2011, 23:35
I'm in the process of building a long range AR. I have the gun 90% together, I just need a barrel, muzzle device and scope mount. I was thinking of either an 18" barrel or a 20" barrel in a medium profile configuration. What does the collective suggest for a barrel? I already have a gas block (.750) and rifle length gas tube for it so I need it to be within those confines. I'd also prefer a wilde or 5.56 chamber and 1:8 or 1:7 twist for shooting the heavier bullets.

Just for those that are curious, the rest of the build is as follows:
BCM upper, Palmetto State BCG and HPT/MPI bolt, standard charging handle, Midwest Industries SS series 15" rails. The lower is a Palmetto State Armory lower, DPMS LPK, Magpul MOE Stock, Wolfe reduced power trigger and disconnector spring.

Also, any suggestions for a scope mount?

Clint-M
11-18-2011, 08:48
For the barrel I would suggest either JP Rifles or Noveske if money is not an issue. For a cheaper barrel you could look at Rainier Arms Match or SuperMatch barrels.

I'm pretty sure Rainier and JP both have a 1:8 twist. Rainier, for the money is a tough deal to beat. I spoke to the owner about them and he told me all of their barrels are guaranteed sub-MOA accuracy and if I wasn't happy with the barrel he'd give me %100 cash back. JP and Noveske are as good as you will find anywhere, but their price reflects that fact.

As for a mount, I like Larue but Bobro and ADM are also very popular.

CM

WoodenPlank
11-18-2011, 13:15
BCM has some good barrel choices available for under $400, as well.

Big fat +1 to LaRue for an optic mount.

BBJones
11-18-2011, 13:32
My first choices:
Noveske and Centurion. Noveskes come with their own gasblock/tube though.

Others for consideration:
White Oak Armament, Rainer, BCM, and a few others.

Clint-M
11-18-2011, 13:47
My first choices:
Noveske and Centurion. Noveskes come with their own gasblock/tube though.

Others for consideration:
White Oak Armament, Rainer, BCM, and a few others.

BCM uses ER Shaw blanks.
Rainier uses Wilson or WOA blanks, depending on which you buy.

Not sure about Noveske, but all of them will serve you very well.

CM

JBaird22
11-19-2011, 11:50
Rainier Arms does have good prices on their barrels. I'll have to keep them in mind. My #1 choice was a BCM barrel with WOA right behind that. Rainier may be getting my money now.

As for a mount, I was actually leaning ADM. I have had other ADM mounts in the past and liked them. For an optic I am looking at either a leopold or a millet DMS.

QNman
11-19-2011, 14:31
I have a build with the Rainier 20", and a mucilek comp. the rifle shoots sub-MOA all day long, even with me behind the trigger.

Only suggestion is ditch the DPMS trigger and get a Timney or similar. That will be your weak link. Don't ask me how I know this. :supergrin:

GSSF17
11-19-2011, 15:17
I put at DNZ Freedom reaper scope mount on my Stag 6H upper. Love it.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/58733-7.html