Another "Occupy" movement...? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Another "Occupy" movement...?

Snowman92D
11-18-2011, 09:28
Interesting story.

Broad Ripple Village is a bohemian bar-scene section of Indianapolis where the libs and college age kids hang out. There's been a recent spike in violent crimes in that area, so a local pro-gun advocacy group is planning an "Occupy Broad Ripple" day. They intend to OC in groups of 2 or 3, and pass out info on handgun licensing from 11pm to 3am. This ought to be fun. The libs and their bliss-ninny friends are already alarmed.

http://www.fox59.com/news/wxin-occupy-broad-ripple-with-guns-group-to-occupy-broad-ripple-with-guns-to-protest-recent-attacks-20111117,0,4894786.column

DaneA
11-18-2011, 09:44
Even though I'm not a big OC fan I think this may be a good idea assuming that the everything goes peacefully. I'm interested to see if there is any effect on the crime in the area.

RussP
11-18-2011, 09:45
I believe his choice of title for the event is wrong. It is more along the theme of National Night Out when communities come out together to let bad guys know they aren't welcome, only this time the members of the community are those armed for self defense.

A6Gator
11-18-2011, 09:55
Broad Ripple Village is a bohemian bar-scene section of Indianapolis where the libs and college age kids hang out. They intend to OC in groups of 2 or 3, and pass out info on handgun licensing from 11pm to 3am.

Nope. No potential for trouble here...:whistling:

Carrys
11-18-2011, 10:00
I think I'll just "occupy" my house for a while.

eaglefrq
11-18-2011, 11:51
I just looked at the facebook page linked from the article and so far there are 93 people saying they will be there and another 28 who are maybe's.

I'm afraid this has fail written all over it. I like the organizers gun. It looked like an LCP with a clipdraw that he was wearing on the outside.

John Galt
11-18-2011, 16:42
Nope. No potential for trouble here...:whistling:

This.

Deye76
11-19-2011, 15:02
My 39 occupies a space on my hip. :supergrin:

michael e
11-19-2011, 15:31
So libs and drunk kids at 3am. Think I just stay at home, hopefully nothing goes wrong and makes gun owners look bad.

doktarZues
11-19-2011, 15:41
Seems like every time OCers assemble for something it has obnoxious written all over it. No missing that here.

Gary1911A1
11-20-2011, 06:17
Interesting story.

Broad Ripple Village is a bohemian bar-scene section of Indianapolis where the libs and college age kids hang out. There's been a recent spike in violent crimes in that area, so a local pro-gun advocacy group is planning an "Occupy Broad Ripple" day. They intend to OC in groups of 2 or 3, and pass out info on handgun licensing from 11pm to 3am. This ought to be fun. The libs and their bliss-ninny friends are already alarmed.

http://www.fox59.com/news/wxin-occupy-broad-ripple-with-guns-group-to-occupy-broad-ripple-with-guns-to-protest-recent-attacks-20111117,0,4894786.column

The libs and college students don't want to be protected. They have made their choice and they can just live or die by it. Heartless, maybe, but OC Group will accomplish nothing, but make things worse.

Snowman92D
11-20-2011, 20:01
The libs and college students don't want to be protected. They have made their choice and they can just live or die by it.

Yep...VBC's. Victims By Choice.

I dunno about the advocacy group's choice of action. On one hand, I think they're shoveling against the tide trying to change the libs' mindset. But I suspect they're just tired of hyper-violent criminals and the leftist Eloi who empower them, and want to do something to get their viewpoint noticed. Maybe too they're just tired of watching marxists and George Soros-funded hippies pissing and crapping on our flag and our society at various places across the country.

In fairness, we have a greenway walking/bicycling path, that goes through Broad Ripple at one point, called the Monon Trail that's part of the local parks dept. A city ordinance formerly prohibited everyone from being armed while using the Monon Trail, and it was the scene of a number of really violent street robberies. A state law went into effect last summer pre-empting the city ordinance and making it legal for Trail users to now be armed. As far as I know, there hasn't been a robbery attempt on the Monon Trail since.

Toorop
11-21-2011, 03:21
I hope these occupiers aren't treated like those in NYC, Oakland, or UC-Davis. I support the occupy movement and it is good to see people bringing guns with them to their occupation. Hopefully more occupiers will do the same.

Bren
11-21-2011, 09:01
I believe his choice of title for the event is wrong. It is more along the theme of National Night Out when communities come out together to let bad guys know they aren't welcome, only this time the members of the community are those armed for self defense.

I agree - neither the militant sound of "occupy" nor the association with "Occupy ____" scumbags will benefit the shooting community or gun owners. While I like making liberals scared and turning their own "occupy" BS against them, it is not good for gun rights. Even if I agree with the open carry demonstration (which I do find more acceptable in this context than the "lone nut with a video camera trying to start a confrontation" model), it needs a different title.

RussP
11-21-2011, 10:15
I agree - neither the militant sound of "occupy" nor the association with "Occupy ____" scumbags will benefit the shooting community or gun owners. While I like making liberals scared and turning their own "occupy" BS against them, it is not good for gun rights. Even if I agree with the open carry demonstration (which I do find more acceptable in this context than the "lone nut with a video camera trying to start a confrontation" model), it needs a different title.There is a person posting on their Facebook page who is part of the occupy group. She is illustrating why any association with the word "Occupy" is a bad idea.

It would be interesting to know from where all the bad guys preying on the good people in Broad Ripple are coming. Are they locally grown, close by neighborhoods?

Reading news reports the group linked to about the attacks, the person(s) making the attacks uses surprise and close quarters to minimize any response from the victims. There are quite a few defensive acts these women can take immediately to lower the chance of being surprised. I wonder if anyone will be passing out information about those immediate deterrents?

There's a big picture that needs addressing. If this group had developed a complete self defense package that would appeal to everyone, including those who choose not to carry firearms, with carrying for self defense an ultimate goal (it takes time to be licensed and to be comfortable carrying and using a firearm), it would achieve a broader base of support...

Snowman92D
11-21-2011, 10:58
It would be interesting to know from where all the bad guys preying on the good people in Broad Ripple are coming. Are they locally grown, close by neighborhoods?

Close by, Russ. Broad Ripple Village is bordered on the south by decaying inner city neighborhoods. Those same high-crime neighborhoods border the Monon Trail on either side for over half of its length, for that matter. So it's just a short walk for the thugs to get to a target-rich environment of VBC's, but of course the thugs are for the most part all motorized.

pizza_pablo
11-21-2011, 11:00
I missed any reference to open carry, in the article and video. :dunno:
I realize he showed his gun, questionably (and apparently) hanging from his waist band, but did not see or hear about an open carry presence.

Snowman92D
11-21-2011, 11:10
I missed any reference to open carry, in the article and video. :dunno:
I realize he showed his gun, questionably (and apparently) hanging from his waist band, but did not see or hear about an open carry presence.

The OC component is mentioned by the news reporter in the video clip.

RussP
11-21-2011, 11:32
Close by, Russ. Broad Ripple Village is bordered on the south by decaying inner city neighborhoods. Those same high-crime neighborhoods border the Monon Trail on either side for over half of its length, for that matter. So it's just a short walk for the thugs to get to a target-rich environment of VBC's, but of course the thugs are for the most part all motorized.Thanks, Snowman, that adds some context. So after attacking someone they can be in friendly territory within a few minutes.

I have not read in any of the articles about the upcoming Occupy event that they have talked to the PD about their plans. I am certain the PD has plans to be present. Wouldn't an effort like this benefit from interaction with and participation by LE?

pizza_pablo
11-21-2011, 15:20
The OC component is mentioned by the news reporter in the video clip.
Got it. "Guns in plain view." I guess I was focusing on "open carry". :embarassed:

SCmasterblaster
11-21-2011, 17:48
I saw an "Occupy Hanover" patch of ground in Hanover, NH this evening. It looked crude and rude. If they tried to set this up on my property, I'd get a flamethrower.

SpringerTGO
11-21-2011, 17:53
It worked well for California:rofl:

Teh_Stone
11-21-2011, 18:39
Interesting story.
There's been a recent spike in violent crimes in that area, so a local pro-gun advocacy group is planning an "Occupy Broad Ripple" day. They intend to OC in groups of 2 or 3, and pass out info on handgun licensing from 11pm to 3am.

That's a really good idea for fighting crime in general... simply walking around handing out & posting pamphlets about concealed carry. I like it! Works equally well at scaring liberal, conservative, and unaffiliated criminals I'm sure :supergrin:.

Snowman92D
11-21-2011, 21:02
I have not read in any of the articles about the upcoming Occupy event that they have talked to the PD about their plans. I am certain the PD has plans to be present. Wouldn't an effort like this benefit from interaction with and participation by LE?

I talked with a zone supervisor who works the Broad Ripple area. They plan to meet with the advocacy folks and talk over a few things so everything runs smoothly. Mostly to insure the advocacy folks don't respond to anyone trying to bait them into trouble. The pro-carry folks appear to be real focused on what they want to do. There shouldn't be any big problems.

SpringerTGO
11-21-2011, 21:30
Seriously, I don't see where a "pro gun advocacy group" will do any good showing up in a high crime area wearing weapons and handing out literature. They will be portrayed as a bunch of gun toting vigilantes, and will do more harm to gun owners than they ever will to criminals.
With all the positive laws being passed allowing both open and carry concealed, this type of stuff doesn't do any of us any good.

RussP
11-21-2011, 21:46
I talked with a zone supervisor who works the Broad Ripple area. They plan to meet with the advocacy folks and talk over a few things so everything runs smoothly. Mostly to insure the advocacy folks don't respond to anyone trying to bait them into trouble. The pro-carry folks appear to be real focused on what they want to do. There shouldn't be any big problems.Sounds good as long as the message gets back to ALL of the pro-carry folks. With all the night spots in BRV, it would be a shame if some boozed up idiot tried to start something.

I wish them good luck and a safe reception by those they'll see and talk to.

RussP
11-21-2011, 21:47
Seriously, I don't see where a "pro gun advocacy group" will do any good showing up in a high crime area wearing weapons and handing out literature. They will be portrayed as a bunch of gun toting vigilantes, and will do more harm to gun owners than they ever will to criminals.
With all the positive laws being passed allowing both open and carry concealed, this type of stuff doesn't do any of us any good.It all depends on how it is carried out.

Fuerte
11-21-2011, 21:48
Broad Ripple Village is a bohemian bar-scene section of Indianapolis where the libs and college age kids hang out.

What is that old adage? "Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."

Snowman92D
11-22-2011, 01:24
Yeah...I know, and depending on the time of night, there are more idiots per square foot in that part of town than anywhere else. But...the advocacy folks wanna do it, and there's no law saying they can't. So there it is. You remember that ol' saying, "just because it's legal, don't mean it's smart".

I don't look for a lot of trouble, though. The libs in Broad Ripple usually don't get too mouthy unless they've been drinking, and then only if a cop is standing right there to keep someone from re-arranging their grillwork.

As I noted earlier, when citizens got the okay to CCW on the Monon Trail biking/walking path the violent thug activity there came to a screeching halt. So we know it works. I just don't understand the "public education OC" mindset versus just going CC and getting on with life, without the attention-seeking and drama. It reminds me vaguely of guys I knew in school who pored over Playboy magazines instead of getting real dates with girls.

IndyGunFreak
11-23-2011, 17:19
Very interesting...

http://www.theindychannel.com/news/29846614/detail.html

Donn57
11-23-2011, 17:41
...but stupid

Oramac
11-23-2011, 17:50
Given the information available, I fully support these guys. Hell, if OC were more legal in MO, I'd probably organize one here.

IndyGunFreak
11-23-2011, 19:35
...but stupid

Not really stupid.. it's all about how it's done.

I've generally found the Open Carry guys here in Indiana, are fairly tame compared to some other states out there.

I don't know this guy, but if you're not familiar with Indpls, Broad Ripple is hippie central.

Given the information available, I fully support these guys. Hell, if OC were more legal in MO, I'd probably organize one here.

If it is done properly, I have no issue with it. I agree with you, if the article accurately depicts what they are going to do, I don't have an issue with it.

Bren
11-24-2011, 08:47
The credit I would give this plan, over the individual OC-nuts, is that a group of people doing something that is publicized doesn't really scare anybody like one, crazy-looking, ninja-dressed nut who is walking around with a gun, talking into his own video camera. If I see that guy, I'm going to think "crazy, about to start shooting people."

MinervaDoe
11-25-2011, 20:15
Seems like every time OCers assemble for something it has obnoxious written all over it. No missing that here.
The OCers in California made such a big stink about their right to carry, that they got a new law passed making it illegal. I hope that doesn't happen in Illinois.

Misty02
11-26-2011, 20:22
Not really stupid.. it's all about how it's done.

I've generally found the Open Carry guys here in Indiana, are fairly tame compared to some other states out there.

I don't know this guy, but if you're not familiar with Indpls, Broad Ripple is hippie central.

If it is done properly, I have no issue with it. I agree with you, if the article accurately depicts what they are going to do, I don't have an issue with it.

I agree. It sounds as if residents of nearby communities are letting criminals know that they are taking their community back from criminals due to the crime spike and alerting others that there is an alternative to being a victim.

If that is the purpose, I can understand it.

There are some comments in one of the pages that leads one to question the motives and affiliations of the organizer; if there is any truth to it, then those participating may want to further investigate.

IndyGunFreak
11-26-2011, 21:09
The OCers in California made such a big stink about their right to carry, that they got a new law passed making it illegal. I hope that doesn't happen in Illinois.

Is Open Carry Legal in Illinois?

IndyGunFreak
11-26-2011, 23:27
http://www.theindychannel.com/news/29863719/detail.html

Hmm... Sounds like some racist groups might have made an effort to infiltrate.

RussP
11-27-2011, 11:38
http://www.ogdenonpolitics.com/2011/11/occupy-broad-ripple-organizer-listed.html

tcruse
11-27-2011, 12:15
Well, I think that it could go either way. If something happens that "baits" the good guys into something stupid, then it will go badly. However, if the good guys behave and get the backing/support of the the local LE, it could be a good thing. I would make sure that "Fox News" is one of the groups on the scene to keep the news media somewhat balanced.

Snowman92D
11-28-2011, 02:09
http://www.ogdenonpolitics.com/2011/11/occupy-broad-ripple-organizer-listed.html

Well...I had hoped this thing would have turned out better. It came awfully close. There were several of the uniformed police working Broad Ripple Village who maintained an obvious but not overpowering presence. The officers even were supportive of the stated goal of the OC group which was no surprise to me. I thought it was gonna work out to be a non-event, perhaps (as a side issue) proving to people that OC-related activism isn't always an indicator of some mental imbalance.

I should have known better.

All the work we do to convince the fence-sitters that possessing and carrying defensive firearms is no more sinister than your wife keeping a fire extinguisher under her kitchen sink...and this imbecile bombs us right back to square zero. Puts our asses on a platter and hands it to our most ardent enemies. Those who feel the childlike need to be the center of public attention should take time to vet themselves and their guiding lights with great care.

The above-linked blogger is an attorney, and is the sort of real American conservative that some people on this forum have delusions of being. He has, on his own hook, in the past filed lawsuits in local and federal courts to bring government excesses and old buddy cronyism at taxpayer expense to a screeching halt. I hope that everyone will take a few moments to read what he has posted about the organizers of this "Occupy" effort and the warning he has for us as proponents of liberty and freedom:

I am very supportive of Second Amendment rights and believe that the possibility that citizens might be armed does deter crime. However, I have often seen good causes get taken over by fringe players who have a far different agenda. It is important that those of us who believe in gun rights be vigilant against those who might want to usurp the cause for a different agenda. To not resist such extremists in our midst is to allow the left to paint us all as extremists.

Misty02
11-28-2011, 05:41
Iím not a demonstration kind of person but even I understood and agreed with original published reason behind this one. It was not until I started reading through the various comments in the articles and read a bit as to their claims that I developed some suspicion about a possible ulterior motive from the organizer.

It is a shame, bringing awareness, showing solidarity in a community and teaching others that there are alternatives to being a victim was a good motive to congregate and share knowledge/experiences with others.

Needless to say, this is another of those teachable moments to people that may elect to join any cause because on the surface their intentions appear in line with our beliefs. It is our duty to dig as deep as possible before blindly following and/or joining others to make sure their actual motives are in line with ours.

RussP
11-28-2011, 08:59
Here is a commentary from a participant in OBR...

I Have Occupied Broad Ripple With Guns (http://twowheeledmadwoman.blogspot.com/2011/11/i-have-occupied-broad-ripple-with-guns.html)

Misty02
11-28-2011, 09:47
Here is a commentary from a participant in OBR...

I Have Occupied Broad Ripple With Guns (http://twowheeledmadwoman.blogspot.com/2011/11/i-have-occupied-broad-ripple-with-guns.html)

I find the personal observations described in that link about the event to be positive and in line with what I perceived to be the original intent.

Oramac
11-28-2011, 12:14
I find the personal observations described in that link about the event to be positive and in line with what I perceived to be the original intent.

Agreed. Sounds to me like it went very well. I'm all for it, there and anywhere else.

RussP
11-28-2011, 12:55
We shall see what dedication those involved have.

Will more people sign up for classes? Will there be an increase in carry permits in that zip code? Will there be a drop in violence in in Broad Ripple? Will there be more late night walks if the answers are "No"?

Toorop
11-28-2011, 17:18
Has anyone contacted the major news media and informed them that there is a new armed occupy movement?

IndyGunFreak
11-28-2011, 17:33

Will more people sign up for classes? Will there be an increase in carry permits in that zip code? Will there be a drop in violence in in Broad Ripple? Will there be more late night walks if the answers are "No"?

I've dealt with the Broad Ripple crowd for years, and from my experience, 99% of them are bliss ninnies, and I doubt there will be any change at all. Many of them, are very self centered, college types. The Monon Trail (which is a haven for thieves and crime) runs right through the area where they were handing out literature. It's a beautiful trail, but not one I would be on after nightfall. This is just a sad reality because of the trails seclusion, etc.. People are robbed/beaten on that trail quite a bit.

That's not to say everything about BR is bad (I doubt any place is..). I've got a couple of regular customers up there that are very nice, and there's several small restaurants up there that generally have nice staff and really good food.

IGF

Misty02
11-28-2011, 18:07

Those would be good things, if they so much raise the awareness of others in their community and neighboring communities that there are alternatives or risk management steps to be considered to not become a victim, it would be a good thing.

Not all that is taught or learn needs to be about firearms, they can include classes to bring awareness to preventive measures such as going out in groups, not being out alone at night, some basic hand to hand maneuvers to escape an aggressor that attempts to take a hold of a person. Home safety, including but not limited to always locking doors, alarm systems. The possibilities are endless and all would help the community to not make it easy for criminals to thrive among them.