G30SF Chwing Up Brass [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : G30SF Chwing Up Brass

ColCol
11-18-2011, 11:00
Being a reloader naturally I want to get as many reloads as I can before having to chuck my brass. I mostly reload for the 45 ACP lately using the G30SF and a SW1911. However, the Glock chews up the rims and extractor groove more than the S&W. In fact, I can reload the S&W three times and it still doesn't look as bad as once with the Glock. I have to take a file and knock off the burrs from the ejected brass with the G30SF before reloading or would probably get a fail to feed.

Does the extractor need a bit of honing to eliminate this? It looks and feels fine but is raising havoc with the brass.

ron59
11-18-2011, 11:54
Bummer... my G30SF doesn't do that at all.

fredj338
11-18-2011, 13:21
There must be something wrong w/ the extractor, I have not seen this ftom the brass in my buddy's G30 or G36 or any G21. I have 45acp brass loaded so many times I can't read the headstmaps on some, but it's all from a 1911 or XD.

ColCol
11-18-2011, 13:28
There's no problem with any malfunction as some have had with this model, that is, FTRTB but, it's pretty rough on the brass. I guess I'll try and take a look see closer. Maybe a few passes with a hard stone will fix it if there's any burrs which I haven't discerned yet.

unclebob
11-18-2011, 21:47
How close are you to Knoxville or Dickson or any GSSF match’s? You could take it to any of the Glock matches and have the armorer look at it. Or email or call Glock and see what they say. They just might send you a new extractor. The problem they had with the 30SF was that piece that sticks up and releases the Firing Pin Safety. They have a new trigger bar assembly that fixes that problem.

Zombie Steve
11-19-2011, 06:55
Does this have anything to do with the Gen 4 recoil spring fiasco? I seem to remember watching some slow mo video of the brass kicking around the ejection port...

rewster
11-19-2011, 07:11
Does this have anything to do with the Gen 4 recoil spring fiasco? I seem to remember watching some slow mo video of the brass kicking around the ejection port...

To my knowledge, the Gen 4 30sf is not due out till sometime in 2012.

ColCol
11-19-2011, 11:32
unclebob-very close to Knoxville but, I don't know anything about he GSSF matches. I may email Glock with a couple of pics and perhaps they could offer a suggestion. I don't have any trouble with the trigger bar. The pistol has been 100% reliable from day one.

Steve-Nope-This is a 3rd Gen Pistol. No problem with ejection or extraction-just chewing up the rims and extractor groove.

unclebob
11-19-2011, 12:42
unclebob-very close to Knoxville but, I don't know anything about he GSSF matches. I may email Glock with a couple of pics and perhaps they could offer a suggestion. I don't have any trouble with the trigger bar. The pistol has been 100% reliable from day one.

You don’t have too. When they have a match you can take the gun and find the armorer and explain what is wrong with the gun and if possible he will fix it for you or tell you to send it back into Glock. And hand the gun back to you at no charge. He will if you ask clean, inspect and replace any outdated or broken parts except barrel, frame slide and the shell of the mag. Like I said at no charge. I would suggest you take ammo mags, ear and eye protection with you. You will probably end up shooting the match. Even if you only shot one category. Even If you safely put every round into the berm without even hitting a single target you have two chances of winning a Glock and one chance of winning money or other prizes.
But first I would just call them and ask and see what they say.

ColCol
11-19-2011, 14:35
Sounds like good advise/info. I'll check with the guys at the gun shop/indoor range I go to. I'm sure they could provide further information as they sell quite a few Glocks.

Tpro
11-20-2011, 10:17
There's no problem with any malfunction as some have had with this model, that is, FTRTB but, it's pretty rough on the brass. I guess I'll try and take a look see closer. Maybe a few passes with a hard stone will fix it if there's any burrs which I haven't discerned yet.

I doubt it's an issue with the extractor. Before you stone anything (unless you absolutely understand the extraction/ejection process) don't stone the extractor.

UB has the best solution. Take it to a GSSF and have it looked at.

Or, support your local QUALIFIED gunsmith. Have him look at it (or her, as I don't want to offend the gentler sex).