Hate it when I lose brass. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Hate it when I lose brass.

TN.Frank
11-18-2011, 13:01
Went out back to test 5 rounds of my 40S&W handload. 180gr cast SWC over 5.0grs of Unique. I put up a sheet on a frame that we've got to stop the brass from going too far, well, only found 2 of the 5 cases. :crying:
Guess I need to go look for the other 3 or I'll not sleep well tonight.
On a positive note the load shot well, felt more like a 9mm then a 40cal but the PX4 is still shooting a bit to the left. I may need to get the sights drifted just a touch to the right to correct it. Still need to shoot it more before I make up my mind though.

Jon_R
11-18-2011, 13:06
Shoot some IDPA or USPSA matches. It will drive you crazy.... Brass everywhere no idea whos brass is whos. Lots of people leave it. Just anarchy I tell you. :tongueout:

You will struggle to account for all your brass and be certain it is your brass and only your brass. I just abandon mine and buy it next month from the guy who picks it up sorts by caliber and cleans it. $20-30 per 1K cleaned....

TN.Frank
11-18-2011, 13:16
LOL, I KNOW it's just an OCD thing but for the life of me I can't help it. I'm almost tempted to buy a metal detector just so I can sweep the area and find my lost brass. Makes sense, spend $50 bucks on a cheap metal detector so I can find a few pieces of .05 cent brass,LOL. :supergrin:
Really though, I hate losing brass that much. :upeyes:

fredj338
11-18-2011, 13:20
LOL, I KNOW it's just an OCD thing but for the life of me I can't help it. I'm almost tempted to buy a metal detector just so I can sweep the area and find my lost brass. Makes sense, spend $50 bucks on a cheap metal detector so I can find a few pieces of .05 cent brass,LOL. :supergrin:
Then you need to shoot a revolver to end this anxiety.:supergrin:
Really, why not pick up mixed rbass @ an IDPA match then buy mixed brass from someone that does exactly that? Makes no sense to me. I shoot IDPA 3X a month, lots of brass there & I am not about to try to pick up just mine, so I pick up an equiv number of what I can find that doesn't look abused. If you are loading for IDPA, your 40 loads are minor anyway, used brass won't be an issue.

Zombie Steve
11-18-2011, 13:25
Last year I dropped the hammer on a deer, jacked the brass out of the rifle, then realized I was turning around to get my brass instead of taking a follow up shot. Too much time shooting off a bench, I suppose.

:upeyes::embarassed:

I did manage to get a second shot on him. Turns out he didn't really need it, but I still felt like an idiot.

I never did get that piece of '06 brass back. :steamed:

TN.Frank
11-18-2011, 13:29
Then you need to shoot a revolver to end this anxiety.:supergrin:

You'd be surprised at just how many times I've sold off a semi-autos I've had and gotten into a revolver because of this.
I really do think I'm going to break down and buy a cheap metal detector. They're only around $50 bucks at WalMart and I can use them for other things like checking around old houses here in Tennessee where some folks use to bury Mason Jars full of silver dollars and other cool stuff.
Looks like a new "hobby" will be heading my way.LOL.:cool:

WiskyT
11-18-2011, 14:13
You'd be surprised at just how many times I've sold off a semi-autos I've had and gotten into a revolver because of this.
I really do think I'm going to break down and buy a cheap metal detector. They're only around $50 bucks at WalMart and I can use them for other things like checking around old houses here in Tennessee where some folks use to bury Mason Jars full of silver dollars and other cool stuff.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_cQb2tKyozEQ/SRzFDqe3ZuI/AAAAAAAAASk/wolcU9dcwWk/s400/403.jpg

WiskyT
11-18-2011, 14:17
Seriously, it drives me crazy to. At least it used to. I stopped using ammo boxes. Those empty holes are no longer there to remind me that I only got back 97 of the 100 pieces of brass. I use peanut butter jars now. I have no idea how many are in there. It also males me happy that if any liberals happen to be near me while I'm shooting, their peanut allergies will send them into anaphylactic shock.

I don't care about 40 and 9mm brass because the stuff reproduces anyway. I lost 6 32acp cases the other night though and that one hurts a bit.

rpgman
11-18-2011, 14:23
I shoot on a private range, and I always get ALL my 9mm and .40 brass back and then some.
But, I don't count how many times I've loaded it.

Hogpauls
11-18-2011, 14:54
Ah the pain and agony of losing brass. My life would be so much easier if I didn't stress the small stuff like losing brass, segregrating them by how many loadings, trying to keep an even amount of primers, bullets and grains of powder. I know without a clinical diagnoses that OCD has taken over my reloading life. :crying:

TN.Frank
11-18-2011, 15:30
Ah the pain and agony of losing brass. My life would be so much easier if I didn't stress the small stuff like losing brass, segregrating them by how many loadings, trying to keep an even amount of primers, bullets and grains of powder. I know without a clinical diagnoses that OCD has taken over my reloading life. :crying:

I'm so glad to see that I'm not alone in this. :supergrin:
By the way, my wife didn't go for the metal detector idea. I got the "why do you think you deserve to buy ANYTHING." speech. Being unemployed is a real pain, even though I'm taking care of all of the house work and fixed a couple things that our insurance paid for instead of contracting it out so WE'D get the money to pay bills with I still get made to feel like I"m less then worth when it comes to buying anything.
Just hope she don't find out that I spend $38 bucks on two bottles of Bourbon the other day, she'd crap her pants.LOL.

GioaJack
11-18-2011, 15:41
$38 for two bottles of bourbon? I can only assume you're talking about those little bottles you get on commercial airlines. :dunno:

Jack

bush pilot
11-18-2011, 16:44
A few years ago I shot a really nice stone sheep in the Yukon, instead of walking toward where he had dropped I started looking for the spent .270 case. The guide saw me and asked "what the hell are you doing?" It seemed like a good idea at the time.

ColCol
11-18-2011, 16:46
When shooting outdoors I seldom lost more than one or two. At the indoor range it's a problem as 5-8 out of 50 will fall over the line and you can't reach over it to retrieve or an alarm goes off and you get chastised...PITA.

bush pilot
11-18-2011, 16:48
When shooting outdoors I seldom lost more than one or two. At the indoor range it's a problem as 5-8 out of 50 will fall over the line and you can't reach over it to retrieve or an alarm goes off and you get chastised...PITA.

Chastised beats the hell out of getting shot.

TN.Frank
11-18-2011, 16:49
$38 for two bottles of bourbon? I can only assume you're talking about those little bottles you get on commercial airlines. :dunno:

Jack

LOL, nope, 750ml's of George Dickel Cascade Hollow and Jim Beam Rye. :tongueout:

unclebob
11-18-2011, 16:51
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1rfEZv_5Uo
Make one of these out of PVC and window screen.

fredj338
11-18-2011, 17:34
I'm so glad to see that I'm not alone in this. :supergrin:
By the way, my wife didn't go for the metal detector idea. I got the "why do you think you deserve to buy ANYTHING." speech. Being unemployed is a real pain, even though I'm taking care of all of the house work and fixed a couple things that our insurance paid for instead of contracting it out so WE'D get the money to pay bills with I still get made to feel like I"m less then worth when it comes to buying anything.
Just hope she don't find out that I spend $38 bucks on two bottles of Bourbon the other day, she'd crap her pants.LOL.

At most shooting areas, a metal detector is only going to tell you there is metal there. That is usually a lot of 22lr around, so it would be of minimla help anyway. Just go revolver & not worry about.:dunno:

ColCol
11-18-2011, 17:51
Chastised beats the hell out of getting shot.

I'm not talking about six feet away...I'm talking six inches. I don't think anyone's going to be shooting that close-think about it.

Shadyscott69
11-18-2011, 17:59

You know how many rounds of 40 range brass you can buy for $50?

JaPes
11-18-2011, 18:00
Frank,

Try this:

http://www.amazon.com/Graco-Models-Pistol-Brass-Catcher/dp/B002SBBCJC

I use it. It doesn't interfere with my grip or sight picture. I get the brass catcher adjusted right, and it works 90% of the time. What it doesn't catch gets knocked down close to your feet.

I don't reload, but I can't stand leaving reloadable cases behind. I'm saving them up in case I do start reloading.

WiskyT
11-18-2011, 18:21

Jack

Being a booze snob, you wouldn't know. One of the nice things about good bourbon is that it doesn't cost a lot. Expensive bourbon is the type of thing some goofball orders mixed with Coke with a cherrie in it. It's for people who buy BMW's and get passed by old ladies in an Accord when a turn comes up.

Evan Williams is as good as it gets and when I got the cure, 4 years ago, it was going for about $20.00 for a 1.75L. If you spend more than that, all you get is snob appeal and they put it through the deflavorizer before they bottle it. Real men drink it neat and want it to taste like whiskey.

Blended whiskey, which is basically "grain neutral spirits" (cheap vodka) blended with a little real whiskey, is awful.

Beam's Rye, which is rye whiskey, not "bourbon", is relatively cheap and a first rate whiskey. The only thing that tastes like rye is rye, and Beam is the only one making a straight rye that I know of. People think Canadian whiskey is rye, but rye is just part of the blend that it is made up of.

Shadyscott69
11-18-2011, 18:45
Went out back to test 5 rounds of my 40S&W handload. 180gr cast SWC over 5.0grs of Unique. I put up a sheet on a frame that we've got to stop the brass from going too far, well, only found 2 of the 5 cases. :crying:
Guess I need to go look for the other 3 or I'll not sleep well tonight.
On a positive note the load shot well, felt more like a 9mm then a 40cal but the PX4 is still shooting a bit to the left. I may need to get the sights drifted just a touch to the right to correct it. Still need to shoot it more before I make up my mind though.

I will say that I hate "lost brass" matches with a passion. :steamed: I go to a GSSF match and see 10's of thousands of rounds of 9 and 40 on the ground that I can't pick up. :steamed:

Zombie Steve
11-18-2011, 19:09
Being a booze snob, you wouldn't know. One of the nice things about good bourbon is that it doesn't cost a lot. Expensive bourbon is the type of thing some goofball orders mixed with Coke with a cherrie in it. It's for people who buy BMW's and get passed by old ladies in an Accord when a turn comes up.

Evan Williams is as good as it gets and when I got the cure, 4 years ago, it was going for about $20.00 for a 1.75L. If you spend more than that, all you get is snob appeal and they put it through the deflavorizer before they bottle it. Real men drink it neat and want it to taste like whiskey.

Blended whiskey, which is basically "grain neutral spirits" (cheap vodka) blended with a little real whiskey, is awful.

Beam's Rye, which is rye whiskey, not "bourbon", is relatively cheap and a first rate whiskey. The only thing that tastes like rye is rye, and Beam is the only one making a straight rye that I know of. People think Canadian whiskey is rye, but rye is just part of the blend that it is made up of.

Jefferson Reserve or GTFO.

:tongueout:

WiskyT
11-18-2011, 19:17
Jefferson Reserve or GTFO.

:tongueout:

http://www.smartcarmodels.net/smart-car-4.jpg

Zombie Steve
11-18-2011, 19:43
Can you lean that car into corners?

WiskyT
11-18-2011, 20:23
Can you lean that car into corners?

It depends on how tired the hamster is.

TN.Frank
11-18-2011, 20:43
Real men drink it neat and want it to taste like whiskey.

Amen. If I ever do want to mix something I'll buy a cheap Canadian or less expensive bourbon like Wall Street but Dickel Cascade Hollow is a great sippin' whiskey(not a bourbon because it's made right here in Tennessee, not Kentucky).

bush pilot
11-18-2011, 23:26
I'm not talking about six feet away...I'm talking six inches. I don't think anyone's going to be shooting that close-think about it.

Sorry, I've only shot at ranges where the people were smart enough not to cross the line and didn't require a device to warn them when they were doing something stupid. Carry on.

crsuribe
11-19-2011, 00:26
All this talk got me thinking I want to try that Rye Whiskey by Jim Beam

DoctaGlockta
11-19-2011, 01:16
Early Times is about the best value in Bourbon one can get.

I do prefer Woodford Reserve or Makers however.

rpgman
11-19-2011, 04:13
I will say that I hate "lost brass" matches with a passion. :steamed: I go to a GSSF match and see 10's of thousands of rounds of 9 and 40 on the ground that I can't pick up. :steamed:

RO a match n share in the wealth.
Thats what I did.
greg

TN.Frank
11-19-2011, 06:48
All this talk got me thinking I want to try that Rye Whiskey by Jim Beam

Rye is ok but it doesn't have the flavor that a standard bourbon or Tennessee whiskey has. At least the JB Rye doesn't. I like something with plenty of flavor(vanillas, caramels, a bit of charred oak), that's why I didn't care for Makers Mark, it tasted to me like straight alcohol.
IMHO the best bourbon I've ever drank is Rebel Yell. Stuff has a ton of flavor without being too sweet like George Dickel #8 is and it's not too pricey either. George Dickel Cascade Hollow isn't too bad though and it's only $14 a bottle around here and that's at our expensive liquor store.

cderk
11-19-2011, 08:01

Seriously? Are you guys for real?

While I certainly pick up as much as my brass as I can find, I've got better things to do with my time than beat myself up over not finding everything that I've fired

For $29, you can get 1000 pieces of .40 from centerfirebrass.com
(Andrew, you can waive the shipping charges on my next order for the plug)

Maybe I just value my time more than you all do, but I think about how much time I would have to invest in picking up 1000 spent cases and then think about paying $29 to have someone else do it.

Geesh... I thought my OCD was bad....

Just my $0.02, I've got my flame retardant gear on, but I'm enjoying a nice glass of whiskey, while you're scratching your head trying to find 20 of the last 100 pieces of brass that came flying out of your gun

TN.Frank
11-19-2011, 08:11
Having been unemployed for almost two years some of us have more time then money. I fully understand that 40S&W brass is cheap it's just the thought of not getting each and every piece that I fire that bugs the crap out of me. It's not the cost, it's not being able to find something. Like I said, it's an OCD thing more then a cost thing.

DoctaGlockta
11-19-2011, 12:02
Rye is ok but it doesn't have the flavor that a standard bourbon or Tennessee whiskey has. At least the JB Rye doesn't. I like something with plenty of flavor(vanillas, caramels, a bit of charred oak), that's why I didn't care for Makers Mark, it tasted to me like straight alcohol.
IMHO the best bourbon I've ever drank is Rebel Yell. Stuff has a ton of flavor without being too sweet like George Dickel #8 is and it's not too pricey either. George Dickel Cascade Hollow isn't too bad though and it's only $14 a bottle around here and that's at our expensive liquor store.

Rebel Yell - I haven't had a swig of that since College. If you like that you might enjoy Old Crow :supergrin:.

GioaJack
11-19-2011, 12:57
Sometimes you can take picking up brass to the extreme. Many mango seasons ago during a social engagement I was killing some time while the crime scene was being processed and medics worked on the bad guy.

I just happen to notice the one shotgun shell that I'd fired laying on the floor and not really giving it much thought figured it'd make a nifty souvenir. Note: law enforcement agencies do not look favorably upon you stealing evidence.

Since no one was still shooting at me I casually bent down, retrieved the hull and slipped it in my pocket. Several minutes later I noticed the crime lab detective searching the area where I had told him I had been positioned. He was wandering around staring at the floor like he had dropped a quarter.

A short while later he called my name, motioned me over and asked how many rounds I had fired. Apparently you don't need a good memory to be a crime lab detective since I had initially informed him that it had been only one round and he had already forgot. (Obviously a flatlander.)

His next question set me back just a bit. "Where is it?"

I had a potential problem. Luckily I had worked with this crime lab team many times in the past and since he knew me quite well showed no surprise when I pulled the hull out of my pocket and informed him that I thought it would be pretty neat to keep it.

Shaking his head in bewilderment he took the hull out of my hand, walked over to where I had taken the shot and flipped the hull in the air and to the right. Rather than landing on the floor it came to rest on one of the padded table chairs. His camera shot made sure it became part of the official crime scene record.

http://i567.photobucket.com/albums/ss114/GioaJack/WillardTarvinShooting.jpg

I guess every once in a while you really should forget about retrieving a piece of brass... they didn't let you keep any of your metallic brass either. Some people have no sense of humor.

Jack

TN.Frank
11-19-2011, 13:31
Rebel Yell - I haven't had a swig of that since College. If you like that you might enjoy Old Crow :supergrin:.

May need to get a small bottle of Old Crow and give it a try. I'm always on the look out for good bourbons/whiskeys.
On a positive note, my grandson, Sam, found the 3 cases that I was missing so my world is whole again. :rofl:
Going to see if I can order some of that $29/1000 brass to stock up.

Bello
11-20-2011, 10:17
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_cQb2tKyozEQ/SRzFDqe3ZuI/AAAAAAAAASk/wolcU9dcwWk/s400/403.jpg

Wisky lol damn man cut down on them donuts! :tongueout:

WiskyT
11-20-2011, 14:47
Wisky lol damn man cut down on them donuts! :tongueout:

This, coming from a guy with zepoli dust on his shirt...

Bello
11-21-2011, 18:24
This, coming from a guy with zepoli dust on his shirt...

when you visit jersey def look me up ! :wavey:

michael e
11-21-2011, 18:57
9mm and 40sw brass dont bother me, always seem to come home with more of those. 45 is hit or miss and usually break even. Now 10mm 45gap 357sig 380 I hate losing.

WiskyT
11-21-2011, 20:06
when you visit jersey def look me up ! :wavey:

Bring your fork.

BTW, there is a new range just opened in Randolph called RTSP. It's not exactly around the corner from you, but it might be worth checking out.

BK63
11-22-2011, 05:44
When I go to the public range I try and get there early and get the far right port with a screen next to me. If I get some other port the brass is all over and I have some mukluk with a 9 or 40 shooting off rounds around me as fast as he can pull the trigger and it makes it tough to find and pickup my stuff. I typically shoot 45. There are days I leave the range with more brass than I came with and days I go home very short.