Carrying two revolvers [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Carrying two revolvers

jack76590
11-18-2011, 21:08
There has been a lot of threads on back up guns. Most people seem to carry a semi auto as primary with either a small revolver or small semi auto as back up.

I am interested in those people who carry two revolvers. What do you carry? How do you carry? Thinking behind your choices, etc?

collim1
11-19-2011, 01:19
I dont do it, but a 2" Kframe as a primary with a jframe for a BUG would be fine IMO.

I have heard of a few people carrying a Jframe on their belt with a "reload" being a spare jframe in a pocket.

LongGoneDays
11-19-2011, 02:13
http://arencambre.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/yosemite_sam.gif

off road
11-19-2011, 07:05
While in town I like an ultralight J-frame backing up a baby Glock, but out in the wilds I have always prefered revolvers....

In the lowland valleys where there are cats and coyotes but no bears, I like a pocket carried M&P340, backing up a Ruger SP101 carried IWB or a GP100 carried OWB.

In the mountains where there are mucho bears, a 329NG (.44 Mag) backing up a .454 Ruger Alaskan. The NG is actually compact and light enough that it can be pocket carried during less strenuous activities, or when just hanging around camp.

JBL13
11-19-2011, 20:22
My backup gun is nearly always an LCR .38 carried in a De Santis pocket holster in a cargo pants pocket. I sometimes carry a 4" GP100 in a Simply Rugged pancake holster as primary if I'm not carrying my G21SF as primary. This is especially the case if I'm planning to spend some time in the mountains, but I love the GP so much it wins out against the Glock sometimes for "street" carry.

On rare occasions I carry an SP101 DAO as primary in a Simply Rugged pancake holster. I can use the same speed loaders for it as for the LCR.

Deaf Smith
11-20-2011, 07:18
As Tom Givens of Rangemaster in Memphis has pointed out, more and more robberies are being committed by multiple armed robbery teams. And that makes packing a J frame five shooter a thin reed indeed.

Now I really like revolvers. Yes I pack Glocks but wheelguns, especially classics, are my favorite. And thus I always suggest if you carry a revolver, carry two! It simply boils down to the slow and difficulty it takes to reload a wheelgun.

As for choices.. Sure a M66 2 1/2 Combat Magnum and say a J .38/357. Or Colt Lawman MK III and Detective Special.

And while you are at it, learn to shoot them with either hand.

Deaf

Chuck54
11-20-2011, 20:00
I knew a detective that carried a pair of J-Frames in a double shoulder holster rig

Deaf Smith
11-20-2011, 20:17
I knew a detective that carried a pair of J-Frames in a double shoulder holster rig

Back in the '70s, I loved the idea of twin M19 2 1/2 Combat Magnums in Berns-Martin upside down shoulder holsters.

Deaf

Kahr Fan!
11-20-2011, 20:30
I carry two revolvers about 75% of the time that I carry a gun. My two revolver battery consists of a two J frame Smiths, a two inch 649 in the front pocket (all stainless steel 357 mag with a shrouded hammer an XS big dot front night sight and small crimson trace laser grips). My second revolver is a 3 inch model 60 (all stainless 357) with large wood grips (rubber or soft grips cling to the holster shirt and making during difficult) and an XS big dot front night sight carried in a 5.11 tactical holster shirt with speed strips on the opposite side to offset the weight of the gun. This set up works as close to perfect as ay other system I have tried. I work in a kitchen and have to wear a chef jacket and my 5.11 undershirt just looks like a normal t-shirt to everyone and I do a lot of awkward motions, bending, stretching, lifting, etc and the guns don't shift or print, etc. I will note that any gun similar to a Glock 19 in dimensions, weight, etc will fit perfectly but what I discovered is that ANY semi with an American mag release will often lose the mag when sometime during the day the mag release button pushes against my body. I often carry an H&K P30 in my shoulder holster shirt but not at work. It’s just a little too heavy, bulky and isn’t near as comfortable as carrying the J frame when doing awkward motions, etc. I am also exposed to a lot of grease and dirt and other debris and I love that fact that an all stainless steel revolver is going to take a lot of abuse and still work. Hope this helps.

Glock21sf-miami
11-20-2011, 21:34
I only did it once and felt very well armed. Primary: SP101 .357 mag with 2.25" barrel stoked with 5 Doubletap 125 grainers and backup was S&W 642 with 125 gr Gold Dots.

DHSGMAN
11-20-2011, 22:45
I'm no Jerry Miculek, but in my opinion revolvers shoot slower, and are less accurate at rapid fire than semi-auto's. So that would be a double handicap. Now using one as a back-up is genius because you have a drop dead reliable gun that is almost fool proof and can pack a wallop if you're shooting .357 Magnum or .38+P loads.

But as a primary I prefer a semi auto, especially if you are going against a retreat to survive situation or self defense scenario.

BamaBud
11-21-2011, 15:34
For a while, I carried twin MagnaPorted S&W 629s in a Galco shoulder rig.

They concealed well, but carrying reloads was problematic, so I eventually put them in the safe.

Now, I only carry them when I know I'll be with others that are also armed. When someone else has hi-caps, I think I can get by with 12 .44 Magnums. Besides, I am MUCH more deliberate with the 629s. Otherwise, G19 w/spare mag + S&W scandium j-frame as bug.

2740dmx
11-21-2011, 17:43
I carry either a S&W 66 snub or a S&W 340 M&P NO LOCK....

Haven't yet carried them both at the same time...because I just got the 340, and haven't had time to test fire it yet.

But...great idea!

I can carry the K-frame 66 IWB or OWB, and pocket carry the j-frame 340 in my offside front pocket.

Of course, I probably would only do this when going out late at night, or into unfamiliar territory... my low-risk lifestyle (here in Vermont :embarassed:) usually doesn't lead me toward two-gun carry!

Landric
11-22-2011, 14:10
I usually go the semi/revolver route (I always carry two guns), but it is not uncommon for me to carry two revolvers. When I do they are both .357 Magnums with front night sights. A SP101 and a LCR, both with 158 grain Hydrashok or Hi-Shok ammunition and a couple of speed strips.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c85/Landric/100_0372.jpg

Darkangel1846
11-23-2011, 08:47
There has been a lot of threads on back up guns. Most people seem to carry a semi auto as primary with either a small revolver or small semi auto as back up.

I am interested in those people who carry two revolvers. What do you carry? How do you carry? Thinking behind your choices, etc?

Ask Howard Stern, he packs two small revolvers.:wavey: