Aga Khan? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Aga Khan?

herose
11-19-2011, 03:44
Just saw something about him on the news. Did some research about him and am still somewhat confused.

Who is he and what exactly is he leader of? Also trying to be non insulting here, why does he look and dress so differently from the Muslims leaders we are custom to seeing. He looks very European for the leader of Islam or a branch thereof, as have all the Aga Khans that I could find pictures of.

Why do we not hear much about him considering all the news concerning Islam and Muslims these days?

Is there a European Islam as well as an Arab Islam?

Don't mean to sound dumb but finding out he exists surprised me.

Anyone with answers?

UtahIrishman
11-19-2011, 04:03
It seems rather vague to me as well.

Tagged for curiosity.

Akil8290
11-19-2011, 04:47
Just saw something about him on the news. Did some research about him and am still somewhat confused.

Who is he and what exactly is he leader of? Also trying to be non insulting here, why does he look and dress so differently from the Muslims leaders we are custom to seeing. He looks very European for the leader of Islam or a branch thereof, as have all the Aga Khans that I could find pictures of.

Why do we not hear much about him considering all the news concerning Islam and Muslims these days?

Is there a European Islam as well as an Arab Islam?

Don't mean to sound dumb but finding out he exists surprised me.

Anyone with answers?

Its just a title in Shia Islam; its an Imam of the largest branch of Ismailis.

Animal Mother
11-19-2011, 04:53
The Aga Khans are ethnically Persian, though they trace their ancestry back to Ali, the son in law of Mohammed. The European look can be explained both by the family's long association with British India and the fact that the current Khan's mother was British. He was born in Geneva and lives primarily in France.

Kingarthurhk
11-19-2011, 06:36
Its just a title in Shia Islam; its an Imam of the largest branch of Ismailis.

So, it's like Vatican II for Imams? Loose the robes, and put on suit?

rgregoryb
11-19-2011, 07:21
I thought he was Chakka's brother

Kingarthurhk
11-19-2011, 12:08

LoL Chakka-Chakka Khan. I don't think the younger generation will get it though.:supergrin:

muscogee
11-19-2011, 17:59

Any relation to Genghis or Kublai?

Kingarthurhk
11-19-2011, 19:07
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRnSnfiUI54

LOL