Need some input on the LMT MWS .308 and the SCAR 16 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Need some input on the LMT MWS .308 and the SCAR 16

Airborne Infantryman
11-19-2011, 05:14
Considering getting one of the two. They both cost about the same....

I like the range and power of the LMT MWS, but feel its range and power would be wasted with the optic I have to put on whichever one I get. The optic is an Aimpoint PRO, FWIW.

I like the SCAR as ammo isn't too bad on the wallet, and the stock folds up nicely. Its also decently light....it would make a most excellent candidate for SBRing later down the road as well....

The LMT is a huge behemoth of a rifle, and reports are it can easily put lead downrange to 800m with relative ease. My reservation about the LMT is that it will cost me money down the road for ammo and a proper optic for it....at the same time, I have nothing in 7.62/.308 at this time...

acaligunner
11-19-2011, 19:36
I am in the same boat, 308 vs another 5.56. I like both designs.

The SCAR is light and handles well, piston system, use's the most modern system available, and it is accurate.

The LMT is a precision weapon (all tho the British are using it in combat), heavy, proven, and accurate also.

It sure is a hard choice (especially since I don't always have 2,500 to spend on every gun). If you have no 308's I would go with the LMT (Did you know the GAP AR10 is also around 2,500-2,600)

Sure, any 308 cost more for ammo & a good scope, but I've had 308's in my armory since the 80's, and the higher cost is always a part of owning a 308.

So in short, I would go for the 308.

WoodenPlank
11-19-2011, 21:11
For the money, Id get a LaRue PredatAR in either 5.56 or 7.62. The 5.56 PredatAR would leave enough budget left over for all the upgrades you could want(stick, mags, grips, etc), and would work nicely with the Aimpoint PRO.

M&P15T
11-20-2011, 05:10
Prices for the SCAR 16s have actually gone UP in the last few months. I was looking to buy one about 8 months ago, and they could be had for around $2200.00, now they're $2500 and up.

AK_Stick
11-20-2011, 13:29
How many 5.56 rifles do you need/want?

I'd move to 7.62 because it will provide something that the 5.56 won't.

Airborne Infantryman
11-20-2011, 13:58
How many 5.56 rifles do you need/want?

I'd move to 7.62 because it will provide something that the 5.56 won't.

I love 5.56.....I'm hesitant to move to 7.62 because of ammunition cost, and the fact that realistically, I'll never shoot past 400-500 meters......ranges that 5.56 has no issue with......

Not only that, but the MWS would cost me more to outfit......I have a spare Aimpoint PRO I could easily put on the SCAR, where as an Aimpoint PRO on the MWS would be a waste of its caliber and range.

pag23
11-20-2011, 14:03
I don't know AI, in my opinion you have got yourself enough items in the 5.56 range as AK Stick noted (yes I am jealous but good for you). I think the difference maker for you and in what you do for this great country of ours, would be the ability to "reach out and touch something" either with a push or a smack at distance.....

You seem to make some good choices on your past purchases so go with your first instinct..

Airborne Infantryman
11-20-2011, 14:38
I don't know AI, in my opinion you have got yourself enough items in the 5.56 range as AK Stick noted (yes I am jealous but good for you). I think the difference maker for you and in what you do for this great country of ours, would be the ability to "reach out and touch something" either with a push or a smack at distance.....

You seem to make some good choices on your past purchases so go with your first instinct..

Thanks for the kind words. :wavey:

The 5.56 has plenty of punch at distance......especially with MK 262.....

I looked into a LaRue PredatAR 7.62, but I definitely don't wanna wait 6-8 weeks to receive it.

I played with the LMT MWS at the gun store the other day, and its a heavy beast....... 7.62 is a great round, but expensive.

I looked at the ACR- too many reports of issues with them, and makes no sense to buy one with the Version 2.0 on the horizon.

Looked into a KAC SR-15E, and not enough features to warrant the $2000 price tag.

So ultimately, I keep finding myself coming back to the SCAR 16S.....I'm gonna keep researching for the next week or so, and will make my decision after Thanksgiving.

The SCAR 16 would make an AWESOME candidate for a Form 1 to SBR it. :supergrin:

acaligunner
11-20-2011, 14:52
I love 5.56.....I'm hesitant to move to 7.62 because of ammunition cost, and the fact that realistically, I'll never shoot past 400-500 meters......ranges that 5.56 has no issue with......

Not only that, but the MWS would cost me more to outfit......I have a spare Aimpoint PRO I could easily put on the SCAR, where as an Aimpoint PRO on the MWS would be a waste of its caliber and range.

The 308 brings a good amount of power & penetration into what ever you are shooting. There is a noticeable difference between the 2 calibers, as I'm sure you know.

Also since you are not really going to be shooting out pass 500, how about going old school and just use the LMT's iron sights.

I guess you have to ask yourself, do you need that extra power over what the 5.56 offers.

WoodenPlank
11-20-2011, 14:57
Thanks for the kind words. :wavey:

The 5.56 has plenty of punch at distance......especially with MK 262.....

I looked into a LaRue PredatAR 7.62, but I definitely don't wanna wait 6-8 weeks to receive it.

I played with the LMT MWS at the gun store the other day, and its a heavy beast....... 7.62 is a great round, but expensive.

I looked at the ACR- too many reports of issues with them, and makes no sense to buy one with the Version 2.0 on the horizon.

Looked into a KAC SR-15E, and not enough features to warrant the $2000 price tag.

So ultimately, I keep finding myself coming back to the SCAR 16S.....I'm gonna keep researching for the next week or so, and will make my decision after Thanksgiving.

The SCAR 16 would make an AWESOME candidate for a Form 1 to SBR it. :supergrin:

I wonder how the standard SCAR gas system would do with a shortened barrel.

Airborne Infantryman
11-20-2011, 15:08
I wonder how the standard SCAR gas system would do with a shortened barrel.

I know that the gas port must be enlarged on the barrel after cutting it down.....but other than that, reports are great. There is a company that's been doing the barrel work since the SCAR was released. They charge $185 to cut it down to a length of your choosing, and to enlarge the gas port to the size needed for whatever barrel length its cut to.

The appealing thing about SBRing a SCAR, is how small it makes it.....especially when the stock is folded to the side.

pag23
11-20-2011, 16:35
Just get the M27 from LWRC. Haha

Airborne Infantryman
11-20-2011, 17:21
Just get the M27 from LWRC. Haha

I wish.........:50cal:

I'd love to have it, but realistically, NFA laws are "teh suxz0rs"...

Here are a few "other" candidates I'm looking at-

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=261403087

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=259985624

:supergrin:

In the end, I'll probably end up with the SCAR though......the LMT is simply too heavy to use for a close-up weapon....which is sort of the role I need to fill in my arsenal, as both my LWRCs are scoped, and the Aimpoint on my PSA is gonna probably go on whatever I get.....the PSA upper is on an Armalite lower, which has a Form 1 on it to SBR it....unfortunately, I didn't go "Pending" until Nov 16th. It's gonna be a long wait, and I need a new toy to play with to kill some of the wait. :faint:

crazymoose
11-20-2011, 18:27
Wait for the Colt... SCAR is sweet, but the word is the Colt will take 7.62 PMags. And it doesn't weigh a whole lot more than the SCAR.

AK_Stick
11-20-2011, 20:29

I understand, I'm in the same boat.

However, and this my just be me, but when I buy a new gun, unless one of them is going to be replaced, I try to buy guns that compliment my arsenal vs excessive redundancy.

You've got several, very nice 5.56 guns. Just my personal preference, would be to move to a 6.8 or a 7.62x51 that gives you options that don't exist with the 5.56.

You are correct, that a the MWS would cost more to fully kit out, than a 5.56 gun would. I would say, it offers you something that while you may not have a huge use for right now, you don't have. And if you're not shooting it all the time, its not costing you any extra money.

But, in the end, you're really going to have a hard time choosing wrong, when you decide between those two platforms, and those two rounds. Both are excellent choices, IMO though, the MWS would be "more right" for you.

Cole125
11-20-2011, 21:36
I would stick with 5.56, and get the SCAR. Whole point of a new gun is to be fun, and the cheaper it is to shoot, the more fun. Plus if your not shooting beyond 500 yards, what's the point of a 7.62?

7.62 ammo is too darn expensive these days.

daddysnapmuffins
11-21-2011, 03:00
I'd go MWS.

M&P15T
11-21-2011, 07:20
Now the question becomes; do you get a black SCAR16s, or one in FDE?

Airborne Infantryman
11-21-2011, 07:37

Dark Earth is the only way to go for a SCAR...... :supergrin:

M&P15T
11-21-2011, 11:47
Dark Earth is the only way to go for a SCAR...... :supergrin:

Then ya gotta suppress it.

pag23
11-21-2011, 16:57

We could have bet on the FDE model vs the black one!:rofl:

Why don't you get a 300 AAC Blackout (Javelin please chime in) in SBR...

11-21-2011, 19:48
Prices for the SCAR 16s have actually gone UP in the last few months. I was looking to buy one about 8 months ago, and they could be had for around $2200.00, now they're $2500 and up.
Still around $2200.

Airborne Infantryman
11-21-2011, 20:34
Well, I fondled the LMT MWS today at Quantico Tactical today....I think I'm gonna go that route. I did the numbers, and if I order one online, I'll save $76 or so. I'd rather touch, feel, and see the exact rifle I'm getting in the store, than take a risk on one from GunBroker.....still, sales tax is a *****.....$2700 out the door. :shocked:

Ultimately, I took what AK_Stick said into consideration, as I do have multiple roles covered already in 5.56; a Recce (LWRC M6A2 DEA), an SPR (LWRC M6-SPR MOD 0), and the pending 10.5 inch SBR.

I need something to reach out there and touch something with not a smack, but a freak'n sledgehammer. :50cal:

The LMT is just the rifle.

My main reason for deciding to go with the LMT MWS over the SCAR 17S, is due to a number of things-

1. Magazine availability- The SCAR 17S- $60-$80 for a mag, IF you can find one. That's almost as bad as KAC wanting $400 for their Triple Tap muzzle break. :faint: At least I can get PMags for $20 a pop for the LMT MWS....

2. Modularity- You can switch barrels on the SCAR 17S, but not if they aren't available. The LMT barrels are in circulation, and once I get it setup with an optic, I fully intend on purchasing the 20-inch chrome-lined barrel.

3. Manual of Arms- I'm intimately familiar with the AR platform; I've used an M4 for the past 5 years in the Army. I can take one apart in the dark, I know the AR platforms limitations, quirks, and whatnot. The SCAR isn't much different, but it IS different.

Overall, I definitely see myself being happy with the LMT. I'm gonna go pick it up on Friday or Saturday; depends on what's going on this week. I will definitely post pics when I get it, but it ain't gonna have a darn thing on it except iron sights, and a Grip Pod; heck, I'm not even sure the Aimpoint PRO I have laying around is even WORTHY of being put on the LMT. :rofl:

Funny story- Now that I've researched the LMT, I remember I saw the Brits with the LMTs while at Ramrod, in Afghanistan. No mistaking it for ANYTHING else but the LMT, especially with that 5-pound ACOG 6x48 hanging off the top of it.

The 6x48 ACOG is on the "do-want" list for an optic......bye-bye, tax refund. :supergrin:

PlasticGuy
11-21-2011, 20:42
Split the difference. Get a SCAR 17. Heavy hitting, and still light and compact. I love mine (all three of them).

11-21-2011, 22:50
Well, I fondled the LMT MWS today at Quantico Tactical today....I think I'm gonna go that route. I did the numbers, and if I order one online, I'll save $76 or so. I'd rather touch, feel, and see the exact rifle I'm getting in the store, than take a risk on one from GunBroker.....still, sales tax is a *****.....$2700 out the door. :shocked:

$2500, from a trustworthy AR dealer here: http://www.texastacticalgear.com/index.php?crn=204&rn=667&action=show_detail&PHPSESSID=9ee8888386aa53410389a91763aca745