Larry Vickers Shoots 10mm Glock 20 & Hits Target @ 250 Yds.! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Larry Vickers Shoots 10mm Glock 20 & Hits Target @ 250 Yds.!

cigarman454
11-19-2011, 10:01
I was watching Tac TV last night and Larry Vickers was testing out the 10mm Glock 20 to illustrate the range that this gun has. He was shooting at a man sized target. He allowed himself 3 tries (I think he started at 50 yds.) and if he hit the target within those 3 tries, he would move back and make another attempt. He got all the way back to the 250 yrd mark, hitting it on his second try. He made 3 attempts at 300 yrds. but did not hit it.

10MM ROCKS :supergrin:

Kegs
11-19-2011, 10:13
:upeyes: These events are not impressive to anyone who understands the concept of trajectory.

I can shoot a 9mm derringer 1000y and hit a target with it if you make the target big enough...probably on my first try.

JimIsland
11-19-2011, 10:26
Well he did say "man sized" target. That's impressive in my book although like anything else, practice is key.

arushus
11-19-2011, 10:35
I really dont understand how you can downplay a 250yard shot with a handgun, like its no big deal...are you serious?

Ya go ahead and talk trajectory and momentum and velocity and a whole bunch of other physics terms and then add some smileys so everyone knows how smart you are and thinks you are a physics professor...

Im just kiddin kegs, I got nuttin against you...you seem to be a good guy and your knowledge and valuable opinion on the 10mm is vast and appreciated. But downplay a 250yard handgun shot, come on...

TDC20
11-19-2011, 10:46
Assuming "man-sized" is a half-silhouette about 16" wide and 24" tall, the equivalent at 25 yards (not accounting for wind and elevation adjustment) would be like hitting a target 1.6" wide and 2.4" tall. It's obviously do-able, but still better-than-average pistol skills for the sight radius of a G20, assuming he made the shots with open sights and off-hand.

With enough practice, this isn't as impressive as it may seem at first. A decent crosswind or varying winds would make it way more impressive than it might otherwise seem.

Using Sierra Infinitiy, for a G20 sighted in at 25 yards with a 180 XTP at a muzzle velocity of 1300fps (hot), you would see 78.42" drop (from POA) at 250 yds. With a 10mph crosswind, drift would make POI 25.37" to the side of POA. At 20mph, that drift would be double, or 50.77". Even a 5mph wind at that range would give you 12.68" of drift, or a miss if aiming COM.

Ethereal Killer
11-19-2011, 11:13
:upeyes: These events are not impressive to anyone who understands the concept of trajectory.

I can shoot a 9mm derringer 1000y and hit a target with it if you make the target big enough...probably on my first try.

OK, I call bull****.

set your target size, choose your 9mm derringer and ammo and then post a video of you doing it. I'll give you twice as many tries as you claim you'll need.

I dont truely think you do understand the concept of trajectory or you wouldnt have made that claim. "danger space" is also a very important concept to grasp.

Here, I can do you one 3x "easier":

set up an IDPA cardboard at 300 yards and hit it once with 5 rounds from your derringer.

go ahead and show us your skills!!

cigarman454
11-19-2011, 11:19
Assuming "man-sized" is a half-silhouette about 16" wide and 24" tall, the equivalent at 25 yards (not accounting for wind and elevation adjustment) would be like hitting a target 1.6" wide and 2.4" tall. It's obviously do-able, but still better-than-average pistol skills for the sight radius of a G20, assuming he made the shots with open sights and off-hand.

Yes he was shooting off hand with open sights.

eracer
11-19-2011, 11:22
That was pretty cool.

nickE10mm
11-19-2011, 11:44
I was watching Tac TV last night and Larry Vickers was testing out the 10mm Glock 20 to illustrate the range that this gun has. He was shooting at a man sized target. He allowed himself 3 tries (I think he started at 50 yds.) and if he hit the target within those 3 tries, he would move back and make another attempt. He got all the way back to the 250 yrd mark, hitting it on his second try. He made 3 attempts at 300 yrds. but did not hit it.

10MM ROCKS :supergrin:

Wish I could see that episode. Vickers is AWESOME.... and he's even MORE AWESOMER now, in my book. Good for Larry and good for the 10mm!

250 yard shots with a pistol are difficult even IF you know the range and bullet drop. Saying and doing are two different things.

4949shooter
11-19-2011, 13:16
Elmer Keith was handgunning at 600 yards with his Smith model 29. I believe Keith used a 250 grain bullet at 1200 FPS.

Of course, he had a lot of practice.

I would like to try that though...3 rounds on an FBI Q target at 250. Or better yet, work my way out to it starting a the 50 yard line. Sounds like a fun way to spend an afternoon. :thumbsup:

OregonG20
11-19-2011, 13:30
Wish I could see that episode. Vickers is AWESOME.... and he's even MORE AWESOMER now, in my book. Good for Larry and good for the 10mm!

250 yard shots with a pistol are difficult even IF you know the range and bullet drop. Saying and doing are two different things.

I watched that episode hoping he would talk about the 10mm. I was pretty excited when he started doing some long range shooting. I wish I knew what ammo he was using, just for comparisons sake. It all seemed legit, and I don't know how much practice he had at it before going for it.

Regular sights, off hand, 250 yards and he got it. Took a couple of shots, but it was pretty impressive.

Jitterbug
11-20-2011, 08:10
Elmer Keith was handgunning at 600 yards with his Smith model 29. I believe Keith used a 250 grain bullet at 1200 FPS.

Of course, he had a lot of practice.

I would like to try that though...3 rounds on an FBI Q target at 250. Or better yet, work my way out to it starting a the 50 yard line. Sounds like a fun way to spend an afternoon. :thumbsup:

Way back when, front sights with "hash marks" were available for 29/629's and guy's were yammering for longer barrels. I think it was Elmer that came up with the Gold insert hashmarks.

Nothing new under the sun, if you know how to hold the front sight it's really not that hard to do and it is quite a bit of fun. Try it sometime, the 10mm is a flat shooter.

Our resident Canyon Man, frequently shoots his hand-canons at unheard of distances to test for accuracy.

Recently I was shooting my AR15/M4 @ 165 yards and finished off the session with some light target 10mm 180's doing only 1000 fps, and scared the target really well. The target stand was in some dusty dirt which really helped to get dialed in.

I only had to hold the front sight about halfway up the rear notch.

4949shooter
11-20-2011, 08:38
Way back when, front sights with "hash marks" were available for 29/629's and guy's were yammering for longer barrels. I think it was Elmer that came up with the Gold insert hashmarks.

Kind of like "comeups" for a handgun? Interesting..

rcd567
11-20-2011, 09:13
A couple weekends ago a buddy and I were out shooting our ARs. I ranged a fox hole at 124 yards. Shooting a standard Glock 20sf and Underwood 165gr. JHPs, I aimed dead on the hole and put 15 rounds on the hole.

No it's not 250 yards, but if it was a bad guy he'd be DRT.