Obama urged to veto? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Obama urged to veto?

ADK_40GLKr
11-19-2011, 15:28
NY Times: "Two lawmakers are calling on President Obama to issue a veto threat against gun legislation working its way through Congress that would make it easier for people to carry concealed handguns across state lines, signifying growing concern among Democrats that the measure may reach the presidentís desk."

Doesn't the Senate still have to consider "Reciprocity" before it can go to the Oval Office"?

cowboy1964
11-19-2011, 19:05
Yes, the senate has to vote on it. I don't see it passing but who knows.

jb1911
11-19-2011, 19:50
Why would they have to urge him to veto it?
There's no chance he won't veto it.
Worst president ever.

vafish
11-19-2011, 20:02
Worst president ever.

While I won't argue your last sentence, Obama has signed every pro gun bill that has come across his desk including National Parks carry and allowing guns to be brought on Amtrak trains. He's been more pro-gun so far then our recent past Republican presidents.

I actually think he will sign it if it makes it to his desk before the elections. He just can't afford to piss off all the gun owners while seeking re-election.

JK-linux
11-19-2011, 20:04
The Senate won't pass it. Not because they think States should handle their own business, but because Democrats generally dislike the idea of citizens armed for the express purpose of self defense. Were it to pass the Senate, Obama would veto it. Not because he supports States regulating their own concerns, but because he dislikes private gun ownership and believe Federal regulation is an excellent way to restrict it, not enable it. Either way, this POS overextension of the hackneyed Commerce Clause or Full Faith and Credit mantra is already dead.

kensteele
11-19-2011, 20:43
Worst president ever.

Clearly you don't know how your own government works. Bills don't just pop up on the President's desk and he thinks about them for 5 minutes before he uses the veto pen. There's a process. If the President is strongly against a bill working it's way thru Congress, the responsible thing to do is to send a signal to Congress so they can take some sort of [pro] action. At least you can pretend like you've studies previous bills/vetoes and that this gun bill is not a brand new process for both Congress and the President; first time in history. But I guess this is a gun board, not a government studies board so you probably really don't know what you are talking about.

M V Dell
11-19-2011, 20:44
"Obama has signed every pro gun bill that has come across his desk including National Parks carry"

The only reason he signed that Bill is because it was attached to the Credit Card Bill that he wanted passed. I am sure he did not want to sign the Nat. Parks part. But I am glad he did.

kensteele
11-19-2011, 21:06
"Obama has signed every pro gun bill that has come across his desk including National Parks carry"

The only reason he signed that Bill is because it was attached to the Credit Card Bill that he wanted passed. I am sure he did not want to sign the Nat. Parks part. But I am glad he did.

How do you know?

You're wrong. I asked him and he said he was fine with it.

If Fox News told you something different, Fox News lied to you.

M V Dell
11-19-2011, 23:22
It only took about a minute of seach to fid this and it is NOT Fox News. It is The Washington Post

National Parks Gun Law Takes Effect in February
By Ed O'Keefe
A new law permitting concealed loaded firearms at National Parks will not take effect until February and the Interior Department will continue to enforce Reagan-era restrictions until then, a spokeswoman said today.

"Under the current regulation, firearms are generally prohibited, but citizens may transport unloaded and dismantled or cased firearms and carry firearms while participating in approved hunting programs and under certain other circumstances," Interior spokeswoman Kendra Barkoff said in a statement released minutes after President Obama signed the credit card holders' bill of rights, which includes an amendment allowing firearms at the nation's National Parks and wildlife refuges.

The department plans to work on implementing the new law in the meantime, focusing especially on public safety and the safety of National Park employees, Barkoff said. Permission to carry a firearm into a park and the actual restrictions on such possession will vary by state, since the new federal law is governed by each state's firearms laws.

This week both the House and Senate approved Sen. Tom Coburn's amendment to the credit card bill. The Oklahoma Republican and a bipartisan coalition of lawmakers has tried for years to get the measure approved, arguing that differences in state and federal firearms restrictions made it difficult for gun owners to travel between state and federal lands. Interior instituted new regulations in the waning weeks of the Bush administration, only to have them rejected by a federal judge in March. The Obama administration refused to appeal the decision and the president signed today's bill with no comment on the gun provisions. Approval of Coburn's bill is yet another of several recent setbacks for gun control advocates.

By Ed O'Keefe | May 22, 2009; 3:32 PM ET
Categories: Agencies and Departments

Gary1911A1
11-20-2011, 06:13
NY Times: "Two lawmakers are calling on President Obama to issue a veto threat against gun legislation working its way through Congress that would make it easier for people to carry concealed handguns across state lines, signifying growing concern among Democrats that the measure may reach the presidentís desk."

Doesn't the Senate still have to consider "Reciprocity" before it can go to the Oval Office"?

If the two lawmakers are senators from states where their vote against it would cost them enough votes to loose their elections then they're hoping Obama will take the heat by saying he'd veto it so they could then vote against it telling their voters it was just going to get vetoed so rather than vote for it this time they'll vote for it next time. Politicians are for the most part lying scum.

jb1911
11-20-2011, 06:57
Clearly you don't know how your own government works. Bills don't just pop up on the President's desk and he thinks about them for 5 minutes before he uses the veto pen. There's a process. If the President is strongly against a bill working it's way thru Congress, the responsible thing to do is to send a signal to Congress so they can take some sort of [pro] action. At least you can pretend like you've studies previous bills/vetoes and that this gun bill is not a brand new process for both Congress and the President; first time in history. But I guess this is a gun board, not a government studies board so you probably really don't know what you are talking about.

Who the hell are you, anyway, and why are you insulting me? I know a lot about politics and government. How does someone like you get over 7,000 posts on a Glock forum? Are you a member of Obama's cabinet?