DSA FAL's? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : DSA FAL's?

emt1581
11-19-2011, 15:25
I've wanted an FAL for a while now. The last time I looked I was told to give DSA/Imbels a look. For $1K are these good quality and reliable guns? Any down sides? What should I look for when shopping FAL's?

Thanks

-Emt1581

rgregoryb
11-19-2011, 16:36
Just don't buy a Century...the ones out now are inch receivers and really only work well with inch mags, which are harder to come by. They ship them with metric mags and sometimes they work sometimes not. I have a DSA 58 and a DSA STG 58...both work well. The Imbel receivers are well made and should serve you well. I sold all my ARs and only have the FALs....when you care enough to send one......send a 30 cal!

AK_Stick
11-19-2011, 16:38
Whats a new DSA running these days?

Last I looked, and FALs are not something I'm well versed on, DSA was by far the biggest name in them, but they're like 1.3 to 1-5 or 2K for some models.

For the most part, I think the FAL is a hell for stout, reliable rifle. Just pick one, inch or metric, and stick with it. Combining the two seems to lead to issues.

CBennett
11-19-2011, 16:39
How are they accuracy wise?? one of the guns ive admired from afar but never got to shoot.

Spiffums
11-19-2011, 16:41
Take a look at the L1A1's that century imported a few years ago. You can find them used and they might be set up better for you. I know several guys on Warriortalk who perfer the L1A1.

rgregoryb
11-19-2011, 16:42
Minute of Pie Plate...........accuracy better than AK (what isn't) not quite an AR it's a battle rifle, not a sniper system.

Both of mine are 16" with regular stock (I had a folding stock version and did not like it)

7.62 X51 is real quiet in a 16" bbl

emt1581
11-19-2011, 18:27
Minute of Pie Plate...........accuracy better than AK (what isn't) not quite an AR it's a battle rifle, not a sniper system.

Both of mine are 16" with regular stock (I had a folding stock version and did not like it)

7.62 X51 is real quiet in a 16" bbl

Minute of Pie Plate? Really?? I figured any quality gun could easily be made a tack driver.... no?

Thanks

-Emt1581

emt1581
11-19-2011, 18:28
Whats a new DSA running these days?

Last I looked, and FALs are not something I'm well versed on, DSA was by far the biggest name in them, but they're like 1.3 to 1-5 or 2K for some models.

For the most part, I think the FAL is a hell for stout, reliable rifle. Just pick one, inch or metric, and stick with it. Combining the two seems to lead to issues.

I've seen ones ranging from $950 with mixed serial numbers to $2K from people that either accessorize them or don't want to sell them too bad.

-Emt1581

emt1581
11-19-2011, 18:39
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=260698150

Anyone able to tell me whether this is metric or inch and if it's a deal or junk?

Thanks

-Emt1581

01coltcolt
11-19-2011, 18:48
OP thats a good price on that DSArms. I have a DSarms FAL and its one of my favorite guns. I love shooting it. Very quality made, with low recoil. It will eat anything. That NV scope is long gone. It was heavy.
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c108/01coltcolt/DSA003.jpg

emt1581
11-19-2011, 18:56
Colt- Can you tell if it's metric or inch and if it's ok based on the mixed serial number spoke of?

Thanks

And in regard to NV optics, this would probably be the gun I soak a LOT of money into perfecting for both defense and distance. So a scope would be next on my list of searching. How easy would the rifle in that ad be to adapt though? Easy as an AR or does it need a smith with lots of experience to do?

Thanks

-Emt1581

rgregoryb
11-19-2011, 19:36
a stg58(Austrian parts gun) from DSA would not be a L1A1, I don't know if the seller is just confusing terminology. It looks like a DSA receiver not Imbel. This should be a metric gun.

Back to the accuracy thing, it will shoot 2" groups at 100 yds

The FAL is one of the easiest MBRs to work on out there.Field strips in seconds for cleaning. 91 countries chose it when NATO went with 7.62x51....still being used in Africa in many countries.

CBennett
11-19-2011, 19:43
a stg58(Austrian parts gun) from DSA would not be a L1A1, I don't know if the seller is just confusing terminology. It looks like a DSA receiver not Imbel. This should be a metric gun.

Back to the accuracy thing, it will shoot 2" groups at 100 yds

The FAL is one of the easiest MBRs to work on out there.Field strips in seconds for cleaning. 91 countries chose it when NATO went with 7.62x51....still being used in Africa in many countries.

seems pretty typical I guess for a battle Rifle. I am also looking for a good Center Fire Semi Auto Battle rifle..looking at M1, M1A1,FAL, maybe even a AR10(is that right??) style..im leaning to the M1 just for nostalgia sake but not 100% on that yet. Ive always liked the FAL. I just want to get something good and not be disappointed.

D3S3RT_P3NGU1N
11-19-2011, 19:47
I've got an 18" DSA and I've been very happy with it, great rifle, tough, reliable and reasonably accurate. Its no precision rifle but 2-3" groups are achievable

american lockpicker
11-19-2011, 19:50
I've been thinking about getting an Austrian one from them.

AK_Stick
11-19-2011, 19:51
Colt- Can you tell if it's metric or inch and if it's ok based on the mixed serial number spoke of?

Thanks

And in regard to NV optics, this would probably be the gun I soak a LOT of money into perfecting for both defense and distance. So a scope would be next on my list of searching. How easy would the rifle in that ad be to adapt though? Easy as an AR or does it need a smith with lots of experience to do?

Thanks

-Emt1581

A scope on a FAL a sniper rifle does not make.

If you want a distance weapon, and I mean more than 3-400 yds, buy one that is made for that sort of thing, thats not what the FAL is, or was. You'll spend alot of money trying to make it something its not. Like the guys who try to make a M1a a sniper rifle.

emt1581
11-19-2011, 19:55
I've got an 18" DSA and I've been very happy with it, great rifle, tough, reliable and reasonably accurate. Its no precision rifle but 2-3" groups are achievable

I didn't know that about the accuracy. I figured with enough tinkering I'd get it to be 1" give or take out to at least a few hundred yards. Hell, my 700P can do that. I just wanted something semi-auto that could do the same.

Maybe I should consider another platform. Thanks

-Emt1581

ArmoryDoc
11-19-2011, 19:55
EMT, the DSA is a really good rifle. I own a SA-58 21" and it is more than reasonably accurate. I have a folder on mine so it is a 50-61 pattern gun. It's a heavy hitter and a great tool to have if things get rough. I highly recommend them.

In addition, the metric guns are much more plentiful for parts and mags than the inch pattern.

emt1581
11-19-2011, 20:02
A scope on a FAL a sniper rifle does not make.

If you want a distance weapon, and I mean more than 3-400 yds, buy one that is made for that sort of thing, thats not what the FAL is, or was. You'll spend alot of money trying to make it something its not. Like the guys who try to make a M1a a sniper rifle.

Again, I'm wondering if someone knows of a better semi-auto platform for distance short of an 82A1 which is not exactly lightweight or portable....it's just a distance weapon...not a battle rifle.

I'd like something that is both but I'm not sure if it exists.

-Emt1581

rgregoryb
11-19-2011, 20:03
I didn't know that about the accuracy. I figured with enough tinkering I'd get it to be 1" give or take out to at least a few hundred yards. Hell, my 700P can do that. I just wanted something semi-auto that could do the same.

Maybe I should consider another platform. Thanks

-Emt1581

You are going to need the H&K semi auto sniper system to achieve what you want. The FAL is the toughest MBR platform out there

PSG 1
http://world.guns.ru/userfiles/images/sniper/sn14/hk_psg1_r.jpg

about 10k will get you one

ArmoryDoc
11-19-2011, 20:07
EMT, you owe it to yourself to do some more study on the FAL system. It isn't sniper quality sub 1" but neither is a field grade M1A. The FAL is an excellent option and mine does a great job at range.

AK_Stick
11-19-2011, 20:10
Again, I'm wondering if someone knows of a better semi-auto platform for distance short of an 82A1 which is not exactly lightweight or portable....it's just a distance weapon...not a battle rifle.

I'd like something that is both but I'm not sure if it exists.

-Emt1581

Larue OBR

LMT 308

KAC M110

RRA LAR-10

fnfalman
11-19-2011, 22:17
Minute of Pie Plate? Really?? I figured any quality gun could easily be made a tack driver.... no?

Thanks

-Emt1581

Sure, how much money you want to spend? How much reliability do you want to give up?

emt1581
11-20-2011, 00:49
Sure, how much money you want to spend? How much reliability do you want to give up?

Why is it an issue of reliability?

-Emt1581

fnfalman
11-20-2011, 01:26
Why is it an issue of reliability?

-Emt1581

You take a gun that's designed for typical battlefield accuracy and then you "accurize" it by fiddling with parts. What would you expect the outcome going to be as far as reliable function goes?

DSArms has accurized FALs if you want to shell out the cash as well.

However, why would you try to make something to be what it was never meant to be? You can take a front-wheel-drive Honda Civic and put enough money into it and make it run with Ferraris. But what's the point? Might as well get a race car in the first place.

If you want a highly accurate 7.62x51 semiauto, then get something that was made that way in the first place. If you want a solid, reliable combat rifle then get the standard FAL.

crazymoose
11-20-2011, 01:51

Thanks

-Emt1581

FAL's have okay accuracy and okay triggers, and there isn't a whole lot than can be done about the triggers. Excellent, very ergonomic, solid rifles in every other regard. They're made to make solid torso hits at ~600 yards, and they'll do it. If you want tight accuracy, go with an AR-10 pattern rifle. For the majority of uses, though, the FAL would be my first choice.

sns3guppy
11-20-2011, 10:07
Like the guys who try to make a M1a a sniper rifle.

There are a LOT of M14's and M1A's out there in long distance competition, and combat. The guys who try to make the M1A a sniper rifle, or at a minimum an accuracy weapon, usually succeed.

fnfalman
11-20-2011, 11:17
There are a LOT of M14's and M1A's out there in long distance competition, and combat. The guys who try to make the M1A a sniper rifle, or at a minimum an accuracy weapon, usually succeed.

But nobody, not even the US Army had expected the M21 to have the reliability of the M14.

AK_Stick
11-20-2011, 13:23

Long distance competition is not combat.

But yes, its possible to make the M1a or M-14 more accurate. But it costs quite a bit compared to other platforms. And it takes more work to keep it that way, when you've got guys out humping it through the rocks and knocking it around every day.

For the price of a fully loaded, and tricked out, M1a, you are in the ball park of rifles like the OBR, with which, the M1a can not compete.

jrs93accord
11-20-2011, 14:51
The FAL is a helluva battle rifle. I own three and a L1A1.

DSA SA-58 Med. Contour (18" bbl w/ Steyr FH)
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m8/jamesrea_2006/DSC00849.jpg

IMBEL
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m8/jamesrea_2006/DSC00434.jpg

G1
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m8/jamesrea_2006/DSC00431.jpg

Lithgow L1A1-F1
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m8/jamesrea_2006/DSC00456.jpg

The DSA is strong and sturdy. I bought mine LNIB for about $1K a little over three years ago. I was told by DSA that they are accurate out to 600M-800M. I have a strong affinity for my G1. It is a '50s classic. The IMBEL is all IMBEL. It was built from a parts kit on an IMBEL "Gear" logo receiver. The Lithgow L1A1-F1 is absolutely beautiful and accurate.

CBennett
11-20-2011, 15:35
How about the FNAR..that seems to be more what your going for with the accuracy.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/30129129-1.html

http://www.gunblast.com/FN-AR.htm

Novocaine
11-20-2011, 17:49
I have an earlier DSA, came with virgin Austrian barrel, it is about 4Ē gun. Never shot match ammo through it but I seriously doubt it can be made into anything resembling 1MOA considering what it does to ammo in the process of moving it from the mag to the chamber.

Itís picky about what it eats. Good commercial ammo is fine, RG surplus is no go. Bolt hold open catch disintegrated after couple hundred rounds, I ordered new assembly from DSA- it came out of spec. Rear sight likes to jump range setting under recoil, aperture is crap. Windage adjustment screws backed out, had to loctite them in. Factory steel handguard heats up in a hurry (2 mags). The handguard also came apart while shooting, good thing it was rested on a sandbag at the time.

The bolt will not strip the first round from the fully loaded magazine, and thereís no forward assist. I download mags by one. The gun is maintenance sensitive, you canít slack on cleaning the gas block area.

On the plus side it has very good trigger and the mag catch arrangement is absolutely the best of the kind. Better than that of AK and miles ahead of M14/Mini14.

But itís not a tack driver and it wonít touch AKís durability/reliability. If you donít have to lag it around itís a lot of fun at the range and is hard to beat when you need a few quick heavy punches at short/short-medium ranges. Hollywood bank robbery is one scenario I think it would excel at.

JDSTG58
11-20-2011, 18:27

Novocaine
11-20-2011, 19:24
Back in the good old days, I could buy 1k of British surplus for $70.
When I got this DSA (í98?) RG ammo was all the rage. I bought couple of boxes (think it was packaged 400 per box). The rifle absolutely refused to cooperate. 16Ē might be a contributor to the problem, donít know. But little things like failed hold open device and jumping rear sight have nothing to do with the barrel length.

It runs fine with South African and most decent commercial ammo, I load it mostly with PRVI. With downloaded mags it is reliable enough for me to use it for HD. Well, HBD. Itís my houseboat gun and itís about perfect for this role.

fnfalman
11-21-2011, 11:00
I don't own, have never shot a DSArms FAL but my SAR-48 and STG-58 kit built by Arizona Response Systems have eaten everything, even the steel case NORINCO ammo and hunting handloads. The SAR48 was a 21-incher and the ARS was an 18-incher. These two barrel lengths are well understood and tuned at the factory. Start messing with any other barrel lengths and the gas pressure curves go to hell. I don't know of anybody to actually calculate pressure curves for reliable functioning once they start chopping up or adding barrel lengths (there were some 24-inchers running around).

acaligunner
11-21-2011, 16:17
You take a gun that's designed for typical battlefield accuracy and then you "accurize" it by fiddling with parts. What would you expect the outcome going to be as far as reliable function goes?

DSArms has accurized FALs if you want to shell out the cash as well.

However, why would you try to make something to be what it was never meant to be? You can take a front-wheel-drive Honda Civic and put enough money into it and make it run with Ferraris. But what's the point? Might as well get a race car in the first place.

If you want a highly accurate 7.62x51 semiauto, then get something that was made that way in the first place. If you want a solid, reliable combat rifle then get the standard FAL.

I agree on the above. The FN/FAL was designed as a combat battle rifle, no need trying to make it something it wasn't meant to be.

acaligunner
11-21-2011, 16:20
Long distance competition is not combat.

But yes, its possible to make the M1a or M-14 more accurate. But it costs quite a bit compared to other platforms. And it takes more work to keep it that way, when you've got guys out humping it through the rocks and knocking it around every day.

For the price of a fully loaded, and tricked out, M1a, you are in the ball park of rifles like the OBR, with which, the M1a can not compete.

AK_Stick, what have you seen of the M1A's in the Sage stock. Do they hold up well, and do they hold their accuracy in the aluminum stock.

AK_Stick
11-21-2011, 18:20
I've only ever held a single M1a in a SAGE stock. Never fired.

I've shot a couple of M-14 EBR's in Iraq with them.

Its a good stock, and it can address some of the issues with the M-14. But its heavy, and the accuracy they were capable of, left me a little disappointed.

emt1581
11-21-2011, 18:24
So what is different between the M4 and the FAL that makes one more accurate than the other?

Thanks

-Emt1581

fnfalman
11-21-2011, 18:33
So what is different between the M4 and the FAL that makes one more accurate than the other?

Thanks

-Emt1581

Mattel Toy: rotating bolt, good peep iron sights, lighter trigger pull.

FAL: falling block action, crappy rear iron sight, heavy trigger pull. But it's the falling block action that makes it a tough gun to accurize. Not prone to solid lock up like a rotating bolt.

emt1581
11-21-2011, 18:36
Mattel Toy: rotating bolt, good peep iron sights, lighter trigger pull.

FAL: falling block action, crappy rear iron sight, heavy trigger pull. But it's the falling block action that makes it a tough gun to accurize. Not prone to solid lock up like a rotating bolt.

Ohhhh ok, so it's not the round that can't be managed in semi-auto it's the style of gun.

The problem is, with the ones suggested earlier, none looked as portable/maneuverable as the AR/AK.

-Emt1581

rem2429
11-21-2011, 21:08
In the days of falling prices on the Scar 17, I guess the question is why the FAL again?

fnfalman
11-21-2011, 21:20
The problem is, with the ones suggested earlier, none looked as portable/maneuverable as the AR/AK.

-Emt1581

And neither of those are anywhere as powerful.

emt1581
11-21-2011, 21:20
In the days of falling prices on the Scar 17, I guess the question is why the FAL again?

They seem to be around $2500 now. What WERE they??

-Emt1581

fnfalman
11-21-2011, 21:21

I don't know...actual combat proven reliability? Just a guess on my part.

fnfalman
11-21-2011, 21:21
They seem to be around $2500 now. What WERE they??

-Emt1581

About five hundred bucks more.

emt1581
11-21-2011, 21:22
And neither of those are anywhere as powerful.

And there is no happy medium?

Thanks

-Emt1581

fnfalman
11-21-2011, 21:24

Thanks

-Emt1581

I thought that DSArms had an FAL chambered in .243 Remington?

Or you can get a Mattel Toy chambered in one of those newfangled 6mm.

crazymoose
11-21-2011, 21:25

Thanks

-Emt1581

6.8 SPC or 6.5 Grendel. Both fit in a normal AR. 6.8 is optimized for close-med work, while the Grendel is all about retained energy at range. Downside is ammo for either caliber will be even more expensive than 7.62, and much harder to find.

EDIT: What's funny is that both of these calibers are kind of similar to the .280 round the FAL was originally designed to shoot. Guess the Belgians and Brits were way ahead of the curve, to the tune of 50 or 60 years. We went too big at first and then too small, now we're finally looking at medium rounds.

tchick
11-21-2011, 21:25
I was stationed over in Germany during the mid 80's to mid 90's. I purchased an FN-FAL in Luxembourg while I was there. As I was getting ready to bring it back to the States Bill Clinton changed the importation laws and I could not bring it back. I worked out a deal with the place I bought it from and they purchased it back from me. I had it for several years and shot it a bunch. I've wanted another FAL ever since. I've been looking at the DSA rifles as well.

Here's a photo of my old FAL:
http://i606.photobucket.com/albums/tt141/tchick_bucket/Firearms/SCAN0064.jpg

emt1581
11-21-2011, 21:26
I thought that DSArms had an FAL chambered in .243 Remington?

Or you can get a Mattel Toy chambered in one of those newfangled 6mm.

I'm not a fan of oddball calibers. And by oddball I mean anything the millitary does not use and never did in rifles.

I'm a fan of .308

Thanks

-Emt1581

crazymoose
11-23-2011, 01:32
I'm not a fan of oddball calibers. And by oddball I mean anything the millitary does not use and never did in rifles.

I'm a fan of .308

Thanks

-Emt1581

Wasn't sure what you meant by "happy medium." Why not just get an AK or AR in .308? I'd still recommend a decent barrel length so you don't handicap the caliber, but at least you can get a telescoping or folding stock.

F14Scott
06-30-2012, 21:36
I've got a bone stock DSA STG-58 that will shoot 1.5" five shot groups at 100 yards all day, fired by a mediocre marksman with aging eyes, using iron sights and surplus ammo, off of the factory bipod.

It's no tack driver, but it's more rifle than I am rifleman. Never a single failure to feed or fire, either. Love this gun.

emt1581
06-30-2012, 21:39
I've got a bone stock DSA STG-58 that will shoot 1.5" five shot groups at 100 yards all day, fired by a mediocre marksman with aging eyes, using iron sights and surplus ammo, off of the factory bipod.

It's no tack driver, but it's more rifle than I am rifleman. Never a single failure to feed or fire, either. Love this gun.

Since the price has jumped $500 I've lost interest in them.

Thanks though.

-Emt1581

MrMurphy
06-30-2012, 22:05
Considering there are exactly two FAL manufacturers left in the world, DSA and Imbel....... you have to take that into consideration.

NEOH212
06-30-2012, 22:12
I've wanted an FAL for a while now. The last time I looked I was told to give DSA/Imbels a look. For $1K are these good quality and reliable guns? Any down sides? What should I look for when shopping FAL's?

Thanks

-Emt1581

DSA makes a great FAL. I wanted one several years back and couldn't find one anywhere. I ended up with a M1A instead. While I really like the M1A, I still prefer the FAL. IMHO, it's a better weapon.

As another poster said, stay away from Century arms. You'll thank yourself for that.

:wavey:

emt1581
06-30-2012, 22:17
Considering there are exactly two FAL manufacturers left in the world, DSA and Imbel....... you have to take that into consideration.

I'm curious as to WHY there are only two left?

Is it because they cornered the market and ran everyone else out of business?

Is this a really difficult gun to make well?

Is the design so out dated that companies like H&K and FNH are bringing out modern guns in the same caliber and took away the demand for the FAL?

WHY are there only two companies making them? Is that why the price jumped $500 on AIM's site?

Thanks

-Emt1581

Reconinforce
06-30-2012, 22:23
There are still deals out there if you are lucky and know what to look for. I bought a century rifle at a g show but it was an Argentine made receiver that were some of the early imports by Century. Was able to later sell it for a nice profit. The receiver alone was worth about the price of the rifle plus I got a nice Bushnell scope, scope mount included with the rifle. Was pretty happy and learned a ton after it was all said and done. If the reciever is stamped C0### or something and said century on it you may have a harder to find Argentine.. not an expert but its worth a 2nd glance.

Also anybody buying should make sure it does not have the unibrow type feedramp as a basic starting point. Issues with feeding...

Andrewsky
06-30-2012, 23:39
Is the design so out dated that companies like H&K and FNH are bringing out modern guns in the same caliber and took away the demand for the FAL?

These rifles are not legal for sale in nearly every country. So there is not much of a business case to make new ones.

Generally, all the first-world countries that were using the FN FAL design switched to 5.56x45mm service rifles. They did not switch to newer 7.62x51mm service rifles.

Here are a few examples:

South Africa and Israel switched to the R4/Galil.

Britain switched to the SA-80.

Australia adopted the Steyr AUG.

Canada moved to locally-made AR-15s.

Germany started with the FAL, went to the G3, and then to the G36.

The FAL is a good conventional 7.62x51mm battle rifle. It got traded away in many cases for lack of being a 5.56x45mm bullpup...

fnfalman
06-30-2012, 23:44
WHY are there only two companies making them? Is that why the price jumped $500 on AIM's site?

Thanks

-Emt1581

Because the world's militaries don't use FALs any more? That's just my guess.:whistling:

emt1581
06-30-2012, 23:50
The FAL is a good conventional 7.62x51mm battle rifle. It got traded away in many cases for lack of being a 5.56x45mm bullpup...

I have a bullpup next to my bed and it's the only bullpup I own (MSAR).

I remember when I said how much I loved the MSAR more than the traditional AR people started foaming at the mouth saying how no one (military/police) used bullpups. So it's interesting to see your list.

But back to the FAL....seems like the x51's distance/power was happily traded for the 5.56's lower recoil, higher capacity, and popularity not to mention the lighter weight and compact nature of most the 5.56 guns compared to the x51 guns.

Thanks

-Emt1581

Andrewsky
07-01-2012, 00:29
I have a bullpup next to my bed and it's the only bullpup I own (MSAR).

I remember when I said how much I loved the MSAR more than the traditional AR people started foaming at the mouth saying how no one (military/police) used bullpups. So it's interesting to see your list.

But back to the FAL....seems like the x51's distance/power was happily traded for the 5.56's lower recoil, higher capacity, and popularity not to mention the lighter weight and compact nature of most the 5.56 guns compared to the x51 guns.

Thanks

-Emt1581

A lot of countries have bullpup rifles as their standard service rifle. The interesting thing is that many of them (at one point in time at least) were giving Colt M4 carbines to their special operations forces. For example, the British and Australian SAS could be seen in many photographs using M4's in Afghanistan.

emt1581
07-01-2012, 06:36
A lot of countries have bullpup rifles as their standard service rifle. The interesting thing is that many of them (at one point in time at least) were giving Colt M4 carbines to their special operations forces. For example, the British and Australian SAS could be seen in many photographs using M4's in Afghanistan.

How is that interprated?

In other words, WHY?

Is the US clinging to outdated weaponry? Are the other countries just trying to stay modern but sacrificing time tested technology?

Thanks

-Emt1581

Aurora
07-01-2012, 06:39
DSA's products are generally good. However, they do screw up every now and then. It's best to keep up with what's going on by visiting the falfiles forums.

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/

I own a number of Belgian rifles that I purchased many years ago. I did recommend DSA to a friend when he wanted one but he decided to buy a DSA product from a reseller instead of buying from DSA directly. He's had a lot of problems with the rifle.

Personally, I would only buy one of DSA's premium rifles or have one assembled by a reputable builder. Buy once, cry once.

The rifle can be improved in many simple ways. For example; you can improve the trigger by buying a number of trigger components and mixing and matching until you get a combination that gives you a clean, sharp break. There's no stoning, grinding or cutting on the parts so there's no degradation of the case hardening.

V.

Spiffums
07-01-2012, 07:30
If you want a good gun and still save some money, look at the L1A1s. Century just lopped off the hider and the pistol grip stud but didn't screw with anything else. It's on Imbel lower and takes both inch and metric mags.

Andrewsky
07-01-2012, 11:16
How is that interprated?

In other words, WHY?

Is the US clinging to outdated weaponry? Are the other countries just trying to stay modern but sacrificing time tested technology?

Thanks

-Emt1581

Their special operations forces probably have liked the M4 better than their own country's rifles for various reasons like reliability and shootability.

I'm not sure why our bureaucracy has never shown much interest in bullpups.

emt1581
07-01-2012, 11:45
Their special operations forces probably have liked the M4 better than their own country's rifles for various reasons like reliability and shootability.

I'm not sure why our bureaucracy has never shown much interest in bullpups.

First thing that comes to my mind is money. What would be the cost involved in a weapon transition going from the M4/M9 to another rifle and pistol platform? I think that is the main reason we've not seen any transitions in...what...like 30 years? All those spare parts, new guns, training the trainers, etc....

Possibly a majority might jump in and argue they are time/battlefield tested...but then you have a huge population that would like to go back to the 1911A1 as well.

-Emt1581

ca survivor
07-01-2012, 14:38

Thanks

-Emt1581
a FAL will hit a human size target at 300-400 yards with no problem.