Rem 870 vs Moss Maverick 88... buying extra barrel and stock or new gun? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Rem 870 vs Moss Maverick 88... buying extra barrel and stock or new gun?

Ocean_glocker
11-19-2011, 23:30
Hey everyone,
I have a Remington 870 with a 28" barrel that I use for Skeet/trap and hopefully soon hunting. And I was talking with the wife about getting different stocks, extended mag and shorter barrel for home use. But after looking at my 'cart' on midway(~$200), I could just go the Academy and buy a Mossberg Mav. 88 Home Defense gun (~$189)...

It would be great to have 2 guns, so that I don't have to swap barrels/stocks, but its not that big of a deal.

So the question is, which would you rather trust your family's lives with?

Thank...

cyphertext
11-20-2011, 06:58
Do you know what kind of mess you just started with this question? :rofl:

If it were me, I would buy the shorter barrel for my 870 and call it a day. I don't need the extended mag, or different stock for a home defense shotgun. Or, you could search the pawn shops and gun stores for a used Wingmaster in that price range, and cut the barrel down.

With that said, there is nothing wrong with a Maverick 88. Good value for the money. Most accessories for the Mossberg 500 will work with the Maverick 88 to make it tacticool, if that is what you are going after.

jp 19
11-20-2011, 10:29
check your gun shows. I picked up a new 870 express for $149... (call it extreme negotiation skills) then I checked the forums for a short barrel found a nice 18" for $90.... added a Big Dot and there you go! this was a couple years ago YMMV. I personally do not care for Mossberg... mho

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Spiffums
11-20-2011, 14:27
Get the mossberg barrel for the Rem 870 and a white light and call it good.

Ocean_glocker
11-20-2011, 16:44
Thanks for your help, I will have to keep my eye out for a affordable barrel. Now I have to start looking up lights and light brackets

Motor City Glocker
11-21-2011, 13:01
I went with the Maverick 88 Security Model (7+1 capacity). The safety is of the bolt type (on front of the triggerguard and out of the way). Upgrades are easy as most parts for the Mossberg 500 series fit the Maverick (I put a pistol grip with adjustable buttstock on mine). It makes the ideal tactical shotgun for home defense. You also can't beat the price!