Radio Ear Pieces [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Radio Ear Pieces

COLOSHOOTR
11-20-2011, 04:49
If someone here can't help me I'm not sure there is any hope...

I'm one of those guys that went with the current earpiece trend and hate working without one now. I use the semi mold types that are open and allow you to still hear out of that ear. (The same type used on the Surfire Earpro.)

The problem is I only seem to get 3 months max out of them (daily use) before they start to break down and crumble. If I have to get one in a pinch the local Police Supply sells them for $10. At our radio shop they are $6 but hours are limited. I was wondering if anyone has knows of a place to get them cheaper then $6 a pop, even if I have to do a bulk order with a few of the guys in my District?

Thanks in advance fellas!

DaBigBR
11-20-2011, 04:57
I've only ever used TCI, but my earmolds have never worn out.

msu_grad_121
11-20-2011, 07:43
As for a walk-in place, can't help ya there, but I've worked with Comtronics Cobalt, they're great, and I've never worn one out, either. I want to say they're like 4 or 5 a piece, ordered online.

x_out86
11-20-2011, 08:58
WTF is going on in your ear dude? LOL

I use the same type of ear mold, and have only replaced it one time in 4 years. After about a year I notice that they always start to get harder and less rubbery in their feel, but they never get HARD hard.

OXCOPS
11-20-2011, 16:07
Make sure you have the right size. If it is just a little bit too big, it will start to put undue pressure on the joints of the ear mold.

SCSU74
11-20-2011, 19:48
I use the hawk lapel mic. Whatever ear molds come with I have been using for almost 2 years without problem. GST sells replacement ear molds for $4 last I looked (needed one for left ear)

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

PinkoCommie
11-20-2011, 19:59
I wear mine out about every 4-6 months too. Mine are issued, so I just get another from supplies. ;)

dano1427
11-21-2011, 00:19
They are made out of silicone, and will degrade. 3-6 months is pretty average for a real silicone mold. Surefire does sell them in bulk, and with a LE discount, may not be too bad on the wallet.

Aries4570
11-21-2011, 06:26
I've been happy with the Surefire earpieces.

COLOSHOOTR
11-23-2011, 03:43
Wow things have been so crazy I have not been able to check my thread.

I think they degrade so fast since the air is so dry out here.... Thanks for all the replies I'll have to see if I can get the SF ones on a discount.

RetailNinja
11-23-2011, 06:38
Kawamall on Ebay sells ones that last 6-9 months.

lndshark
11-29-2011, 15:05
Bringing this back up to the top...how do you folks run the wire from your radio to the earpiece? I've heard of some people having a tailor cut a small hole in their shirts and having the opening reinforced. Other than that, I'm not sure how it's done as my radio's mic (XTS-5000) doesn't have a 3.5mm jack - I'll have to run the lead directly to the radio. Thanks to msu_grad, I just ordered a KLRN from Cobalt AV...thanks for making me spend the money, R-man!

blueiron
11-29-2011, 15:53
We had our shirts modified along the body's support side of the shirt and along the front/back seam to allow for a tunnel [secured by velcro] that held the wire/cord concealed. It worked for those of use who wore our portables opposite of our holsters, but for those who wore them in or around the small of their back [!] or somewhere in the front [!], it wouldn't work.

I wore my radio at the 8:30 position and just behind my Taser. The tunnel flap was about 3/4 of an inch [minus the velcro] and mine secured to the forward. Some guys and gals liked the flap closing to the back.

The flap started just above the radio and ended just under the arm. It then went into a fabric reinforced grommet hole and then under the shirt to the collar.

DaBigBR
11-29-2011, 16:01
I had my seamstress put a button hole around the side seam of the shirt just above the duty belt. Before that I ran the cable around the bottom of the shirt. I think I paid like $2 a shirt to have the button hole added.

msu_grad_121
11-29-2011, 16:38
Thanks to msu_grad, I just ordered a KLRN from Cobalt AV...thanks for making me spend the money, R-man!

Puttin me on the spot now? See how you are? :supergrin:

I used to use an earpiece that jacked into the mic itself, so I won't be much help on running it any way beyond that.

OXCOPS
11-29-2011, 17:04
The cord on mine was long enough that I didn't worry about special tailoring. I would put it on and drop the cord down the inside of my shirt. When tucking in my shirt, I would pull about 5-6" of the cord free and tuck in my shirt. No bunches or anything else to worry about. This also gave me a little slack in the cord between me and the radio, but not so much that it snagged on stuff.

lndshark
11-29-2011, 19:26
I had my seamstress put a button hole around the side seam of the shirt just above the duty belt. Before that I ran the cable around the bottom of the shirt. I think I paid like $2 a shirt to have the button hole added.

Must have been you that I heard it from. Thanks Brad. The uni shop owes me some sap pockets so I'll get my shirts done at the same time.

Puttin me on the spot now? See how you are? :supergrin:

You can't say that you didn't deserve it :rofl:

When are you coming out for coffee? :tongueout:

lndshark
11-29-2011, 19:29
The cord on mine was long enough that I didn't worry about special tailoring. I would put it on and drop the cord down the inside of my shirt. When tucking in my shirt, I would pull about 5-6" of the cord free and tuck in my shirt. No bunches or anything else to worry about. This also gave me a little slack in the cord between me and the radio, but not so much that it snagged on stuff.

Thanks for the tip. I'll do that in the meantime while my shirts are being modified with BR's suggestion.

msu_grad_121
11-29-2011, 21:46
You can't say that you didn't deserve it :rofl:

When are you coming out for coffee? :tongueout:

I maintain my innocence, officer, and request to speak to a lawyer. Heh heh heh!

It'll have to be this Saturday on my way to IL, or else in 5 or so weeks when I head back for my shtuff. Hit me up!

danielspdx
11-30-2011, 00:21
The generic fit ear molds last me 6-8 months on average. The large one is too small for my ear, but there isn't much I can do about it. I paid a lot of money to get a custom one, but I hated the way it felt and threw it away. I've just accepted the $20 annual cost and inconvenience.

South Fla
11-30-2011, 03:30
*** OLD-TIMER THREAD HIJACK***

The first 3 years I was a police officer, we never had portable radios. Just the radios in the car. That was back in the 1980's though.

Now back to your regulated segmented thread.

volsbear
11-30-2011, 11:18
Y'all are lucky. Our radios use a proprietary connector and the mic and/or earpiece is like $200. So yeah... we don't have them.

It's a Macom P5100. We also have Macom LPE-200s but I primarily use the P5100.

blueiron
11-30-2011, 11:53
*** OLD-TIMER THREAD HIJACK***

The first 3 years I was a police officer, we never had portable radios. Just the radios in the car. That was back in the 1980's though.

Now back to your regulated segmented thread.

Yep.

When I started in 1984, we didn't have portable radios. Just set the siren to radio rebroadcast when doing traffic stops. The rest of the time, we might as well have been on the dark side of the Moon.

x_out86
12-01-2011, 11:32
Bringing this back up to the top...how do you folks run the wire from your radio to the earpiece? I've heard of some people having a tailor cut a small hole in their shirts and having the opening reinforced. Other than that, I'm not sure how it's done as my radio's mic (XTS-5000) doesn't have a 3.5mm jack - I'll have to run the lead directly to the radio. Thanks to msu_grad, I just ordered a KLRN from Cobalt AV...thanks for making me spend the money, R-man!
On my old shirts, I had my seamstress but a button hole in the seam on the left side of the shirt. This worked great for me for a few years.

Now I just use these:

http://r3.cygnuspub.com/files/cygnus/image/OFCR/2010/FEB/600x400/themanyformsofauniform_10232826.png

5.11 PDU with the holes already put in them. If you department allows them, I would highly recommend them.

OXCOPS
12-01-2011, 11:40
Yep.

When I started in 1984, we didn't have portable radios. Just set the siren to radio rebroadcast when doing traffic stops. The rest of the time, we might as well have been on the dark side of the Moon.

Walked a beat....uphill.....both ways......in the snow......barefoot.....armed only with a slingshot.

msu_grad_121
12-01-2011, 12:14
Walked a beat....uphill.....both ways......in the snow......barefoot.....armed only with a slingshot.

Carrying my partner on my shoulders...in sandals 2 sizes too small...and we were GRATEFUL!

I'm glad I wasn't the only one that thougt of some stuff like that! :rofl:

Aries4570
12-01-2011, 19:28

Same here. I usually clip the wire to the shoulder strap of my body armor.