If Unique is dirty... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : If Unique is dirty...

Skytow
11-20-2011, 12:13
... then what is a clean powder with about the same burn rate? I'd like to test the clean Vs dirty discussion in my Glocks. (9mm and .45)

Thanks,

JD

HAMMERHEAD
11-20-2011, 12:23
In 9mm it probably won't burn dirty because of the higher pressures/temp's.

A good alternative is Universal, a great powder for 9mm.

JBnTX
11-20-2011, 12:55
Try Power Pistol or Bullseye.

Unique is only dirty when loaded in lighter loads of any given bullet weight.
Stay up to respectable pressures levels and it burns just fine.

TN.Frank
11-20-2011, 13:09
Accurate Arms #7 was designed for the 9x19mm, it's a good powder to use. As for Unique being dirty, I don't find it any worse then most other powders. It has been my #1 "go to" powder for a couple decades now. I'm getting low on the Lb that I have and I'll probably pick up another Lb when this one runs out.

DoctaGlockta
11-20-2011, 13:10
Unique is so dirty compared to those other powders :upeyes:.

Breadman03
11-20-2011, 13:25
http://www.reloadbench.com/burn.html

This is a chart of powder burn rates. Unique is #35. 1 is the fastest and the last number is slowest. I'd compare the chart and your manuals to develop your test.

fredj338
11-20-2011, 15:13
Run Unique above midrange & it burns fine, just like any other medium burner. Univ & WSF are better metering alternativves, but again, load them above midrange for best results. If you are trying to run 9mm minor, you need a faster powder.

Colorado4Wheel
11-20-2011, 16:54
What is there to test? My Glocks can go a month with out cleaning. Shooting well over 1K rounds of lead bullets. Lube and crap cake up on the barrel but they still function fine. Biggest issue with a dirty powder is it gunks up your fiber optic front sight a little.

MrGlock21
11-20-2011, 19:21
N330 is clean. I guess that's what you're asking for.

I like Unique and Silhuette. The only significantly dirty lot I once got was Titegroup which my glock gobbled up with no issue.

jfrey
11-20-2011, 19:56
If you think Unique is dirty in your 9mm loads, try WSF instead. Softer shooting at the same velocity range.

GhettoSmack
11-21-2011, 08:19
Vihtavuori is the cleanest burning I have found. It's more expensive, though. Very consistent metering.

Power Pistol and occasionally Titegroup will leave specs of powder dust on my arms. Eew.

chris in va
11-21-2011, 10:06
I've been using Universal for a few thousand 9mm and 45's. It's not what I'd call 'clean' with my CZ's innards getting coated with residue, but it's better than the Unique I tried plus the flakes are smaller.

Thinking about Power Pistol at some point. My LGS has it for $15/lb. I'd have to completely start over with my recipes though.

10mmbob
11-21-2011, 13:19
I love Power Pistol in my 17L. 5.2 grains, topped with Precision Delta 124gr. FMJ. Some say it has quite a flash signature indoors, but I shoot outside so it doesn't matter to me.

TN.Frank
11-21-2011, 14:24
LOL, I've loaded with Unique for so long my eyes naturally go to the Unique loads in the books that I have. Really, the old stuff wasn't all that bad and the "new" Unique is as clean as anything else I've used. I'm stickin' with what works for me and that's Unique and Cast Bullets. :cool:

fredj338
11-21-2011, 14:30
LOL, I've loaded with Unique for so long my eyes naturally go to the Unique loads in the books that I have. Really, the old stuff wasn't all that bad and the "new" Unique is as clean as anything else I've used. I'm stickin' with what works for me and that's Unique and Cast Bullets. :cool:

^^THIS^^^ Especially for cast bullet shooters & medium to high vel.

Steve Koski
11-21-2011, 14:31
WST is crazy clean in 9mm.

GioaJack
11-21-2011, 14:41
For those who may not be aware of it, Unique was introduced eleven years prior to the venerable Colt, (Browning designed) 1911. I believe Unclebob placed the very first order and was in his early 20's at the time.

Both the gun and the powder will do what you need them to do... lots of people have bet their lives on 'em.

Jack

Skytow
11-21-2011, 18:39
Thanks gents for all the replies. I love Unique. The comments about dirty on this board were what had me wondering.

I have a number of small amounts of old powders and will have to try a few for comparison. As many have noted here medium and slower powders in light loads = dirty. So far my 9 mm and .45 loads seem just fine but maybe I'll try some of the suggestions here for comparison sake.

I think the fast burning small volume (per charge) powders will naturally have less residue than bulkier slower burning powders. I like that I can't double charge 9 mm or .45 with out obvious overflowing.

I do have a pound of Solo 1000 which I see is relatively fast. Maybe I'll give that a try. It sounds as if it might be good for .45.

JD

BK63
11-22-2011, 06:52
For those who may not be aware of it, Unique was introduced eleven years prior to the venerable Colt, (Browning designed) 1911. I believe Unclebob placed the very first order and was in his early 20's at the time.

Both the gun and the powder will do what you need them to do... lots of people have bet their lives on 'em.

Jack

I've been using Unique for a lot of years. Not that many years, but a LOT :supergrin: If something works I stick with it. You have to eventually clean your guns anyway so who cares if one is a little more dirty than another. The new Unique boasts "cleaner" anyway. I don't pay much attention. Just get out and shoot. Life is short.

MinervaDoe
11-22-2011, 18:21
The new Unique boasts "cleaner" anyway. I don't pay much attention. Just get out and shoot. Life is short.
Old Unique left a sand like residue in my gun. New Unique seems very clean to me.
I put a thousand rounds of (new) Unique loads through my G20 and then cleaned it up in two minutes with a couple of Q-tips and a few swabs down the barrel. You should have seen the dirty stuff.

Run Unique above midrange & it burns fine, just like any other medium burner.
There you go.

The two quotes above fairly objectively summarize this thread for me. ... well, that and Jack's quote ...

BK63
11-22-2011, 18:31
MinervaDoe glad to hear you think the new Unique is better. I just finished off the last 8 pound keg I had that was probably 20 years old. I have several pounds of the new stuff now. I was out of reloading for a lot of years and just got back to it a few years ago but had a lot of old stuff to burn off. It all went bang and now I have all new components.

MinervaDoe
11-22-2011, 19:06
MinervaDoe glad to hear you think the new Unique is better. I just finished off the last 8 pound keg I had that was probably 20 years old. I have several pounds of the new stuff now. I was out of reloading for a lot of years and just got back to it a few years ago but had a lot of old stuff to burn off. It all went bang and now I have all new components.
:supergrin: I'm still using up some ammo I made in 1998 when I had a lot of spare time. I'll bet there is some original Unique in that batch.