What is the notch in M4 profile barrels for? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : What is the notch in M4 profile barrels for?

Cole125
11-20-2011, 12:07
I have been wondering what purpose the notch or cut out in some M4 profile barrels is for. Anyone know? :dunno:

This is what I am talking about, between the front sight and the flash hider.

http://www.armtactical.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/c/m/cmmg001upper_1.jpg

Retread1911
11-20-2011, 12:17
It was for the old style grenade attachments.

DWARREN123
11-20-2011, 12:19
That reduced area is for the grenade launcher mounting. :supergrin:

QNman
11-20-2011, 12:20
M203 - http://www.army.mil/factfiles/equipment/individual/m203.html

cowboy1964
11-20-2011, 14:44
Kind of silly that most (?) commercial ARs for the common man still have that, isn't it?

WoodenPlank
11-20-2011, 14:58
Kind of silly that most (?) commercial ARs for the common man still have that, isn't it?

Easier to crank them out off of standard blanks, or buy from companies providing milspec barrels. Plus it shaves a little weight off, and I kinda like the look of it.

arodgers
11-22-2011, 16:25

...why?

Eurodriver
11-22-2011, 18:13
Easier to crank them out off of standard blanks, or buy from companies providing milspec barrels. Plus it shaves a little weight off, and I kinda like the look of it.

More like your average Fudd gun owner walks into a gun store and wants "one of dem Arm-ee guns dat da neighbors boy two farms down was usin in the Aye-Rack place".

JK-linux
11-22-2011, 18:15
Get a mid length upper and it won't be an issue. ;)

mixflip
11-23-2011, 01:23
There used to be a rumor that Bushmaster used M4 barrels with the M204 cutouts on their new cutting edge ACR because they had a huge stock pile of old M4 barrels on hand.

The ACR couldnt fit an M203 grenade launcher if it wanted to but it still has the cutouts for one??? The logic makes sense but I dont know if its true or not?

WoodenPlank
11-23-2011, 09:11
More like your average Fudd gun owner walks into a gun store and wants "one of dem Arm-ee guns dat da neighbors boy two farms down was usin in the Aye-Rack place".

:dunno:

Not sure what the point you are trying to make is....

BBJones
11-23-2011, 11:52
:dunno:

Not sure what the point you are trying to make is....

He is saying they are on civilian guns because a certain segment of consumers want them there. He was denigrating idiots who walk into a gunstore and want to buy something that "looks" like what is current issue military gear. Many of the barrels that have the notch are not up to mil-spec (not chrome lined or made from proper steel etc.) (I am not looking to start a mil-spec war here) yet still have the notch.

Eurodriver
11-23-2011, 17:07
He is saying they are on civilian guns because a certain segment of consumers want them there. He was denigrating idiots who walk into a gunstore and want to buy something that "looks" like what is current issue military gear. Many of the barrels that have the notch are not up to mil-spec (not chrome lined or made from proper steel etc.) (I am not looking to start a mil-spec war here) yet still have the notch.

Thanks.

It has nothing to do with "barrel blanks" or "tooling" and everything to do with demand.

jhooten
11-23-2011, 17:24
So you can add your super-ninja-tacticle M203 lookalike 37mm flare launcher allowing you to be the coolest zombie swatter on your block.

halfmoonclip
11-23-2011, 17:34
From a practical standpoint, we civvies don't have much need of a bayo lug either, but we'd be disappointed to buy an AR without it.
Clinton's attempt to tell us we couldn't have one was no help...
Moon

QNman
11-23-2011, 17:41
From a practical standpoint, we civvies don't have much need of a bayo lug either, but we'd be disappointed to buy an AR without it.
Moon

From a practical standpoint, we need very few features of the AR. Most - I'd venture to say nearly all - don't "need" an AR at all. I can defend my home, shoot prairie dogs, and fill a 30-round mag on many types of rifles that are not civilian military clones.

I don't care for the cut - I think is looks kind of out of place. But then I think a lot of tacti-cool stuff is truly craptastic. YMMV.

halfmoonclip
11-23-2011, 17:45
Uh-oh, 'need' and 'gun' in the same sentence.
My wife and I have had this conversation a couple of times.....
Moon

QNman
11-23-2011, 17:54
For the record, I find it incredibly shallow and somewhat narcissistic to refer to fellow gun owners as "Fudds" or to deride their choice in firearms because they like or dislike a specific cosmetic feature, brand, style, etc. We're either all in this and share a common love of firearms, or we're something else. I choose to see us generally together, whether it be farmer John who loves his 1946 side-by-side Winchester or mall-ninja Jimmy who has 17 tacticool accessories hanging on his $1,600 Colt.

Spiffums
11-23-2011, 18:31
Moon

My BCM upper had neither and I'm happy with it.

Eurodriver
11-23-2011, 19:27
For the record, I find it incredibly shallow and somewhat narcissistic to refer to fellow gun owners as "Fudds" or to deride their choice in firearms because they like or dislike a specific cosmetic feature, brand, style, etc. We're either all in this and share a common love of firearms, or we're something else. I choose to see us generally together, whether it be farmer John who loves his 1946 side-by-side Winchester or mall-ninja Jimmy who has 17 tacticool accessories hanging on his $1,600 Colt.

Please, just shutup.

You know, or at least you should know, damn well that Fudd gun owners are not those who "dislike a specific cosmetic feature". If you truely believe that, you need to think harder.

They are your good 'ole boys who would gladly vote for any candidate thinking he is "pro gun" because he doesn't want to take their hunting rifle away. They would take your AR15 away just as fast as Nancy Pelosi would because "Well, what do you need one of them for?"

Fudd has nothing to do with BCM vs. DPMS, Surefire vs. LG, or Carbine length vs. Midlength and everything to do with being 2nd amendment friendly to all firearms.

If you don't believe me, you haven't sat around some old school hunters long enough. Show up at a hunting club with your suppressed 10.3" AR15 with a flashlight and IR laser hanging off the end. See how many "No one needs a 30 round magazine in a gun!" comments you get.

QNman
11-23-2011, 19:39
Please, just shutup.

You know, or at least you should know, damn well that Fudd gun owners are not those who "dislike a specific cosmetic feature". If you truely believe that, you need to think harder.

They are your good 'ole boys who would gladly vote for any candidate thinking he is "pro gun" because he doesn't want to take their hunting rifle away. They would take your AR15 away just as fast as Nancy Pelosi would because "Well, what do you need one of them for?"

Fudd has nothing to do with BCM vs. DPMS, Surefire vs. LG, or Carbine length vs. Midlength and everything to do with being 2nd amendment friendly to all firearms.

If you don't believe me, you haven't sat around some old school hunters long enough. Show up at a hunting club with your suppressed 10.3" AR15 with a flashlight and IR laser hanging off the end. See how many "No one needs a 30 round magazine in a gun!" comments you get.

I've sat around with plenty of them. I base my opinions on actual experience. Fortunately, I've been on this ball of dirt awhile, and keep an open mind. You should try it sometime.

Don't like it? That's your prerogative. But like it or not, we're all still fighting the same fight. If you find a good old boy who expresses to you his disdain for magazines that hold more than 10 rounds, you may try reasoning with him rather than prejudging and name-calling. Who knows, you might even change his mind.