more glock 20 problems [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : more glock 20 problems

JimBow
11-20-2011, 17:19
Hey guys ,I have a Glock 20 with a 6 inch lone wolf barrel that's giving me fits. 1st it was hanging up with failure to go into battery with every ammo I tried except Prv. I took the barrel out when I got home and found some burrs on the top of the chamber and stoned them down a little. A buddy of mine also suggested I try a heaver spring. I put in a wolf 22 lb spring and tested it out today. Well it went into battery smoothy but now every on 3rd shot the slide locks open with a mag full of ammo. Any suggestions.

G29SF
11-20-2011, 17:35
Hey guys ,I have a Glock 20 with a 6 inch lone wolf barrel that's giving me fits. 1st it was hanging up with failure to go into battery with every ammo I tried except Prv. I took the barrel out when I got home and found some burrs on the top of the chamber and stoned them down a little. A buddy of mine also suggested I try a heaver spring. I put in a wolf 22 lb spring and tested it out today. Well it went into battery smoothy but now every on 3rd shot the slide locks open with a mag full of ammo. Any suggestions.

From what I have read, the slide locking prematurely is due to hand placement. It is said that your grip is causing your fingers to hit the slide lock/release during recoil.

Jumper
11-20-2011, 17:38
Your slide lock spring is probably weak and the extra energy/recoil produced by your 6" bbl is probably causing it to bounce up and catch your slide. Replace it and it should work correctly. Or, you could be pushing it up with your thumb/grip.

As far as your failure to return to battery, you may have to have your feed ramp opened up a little. Are you shooting reloads or factory? If you are shooting reloads, try a shorter over all length. If its feeds better its a good bet its your feed ramp that is the problem. You could also have a problem with your extractor. When it feeds a round from the magazine the case groove slides up the breech face and under the extractor. if the extractor is too tight it could prevent the cartridge from chambering completely.

Hope this helps.

arushus
11-20-2011, 18:22
Mine has been doing the same thing, You can see rub marks on the top of the chamber where the round is getting jammed up...Ive looked it over several times when this happens, and there isnt anything interfering with it on the primer end, it hasnt even raised up enough to be in contact with the extractor yet. If it could get that high up on the breech face, there wouldnt be a jam issue and it would go into battery every time...at least that is the case with mine.

JimBow
11-20-2011, 20:22
I need to shoot it some more to rule out thumbing the slide lock. I've been shooting Glocks for years and shoot IDPA monthly and haven't had it happen before with my other Glocks.

As for the out of battery issue, I have one thing to add on that. After I would shoot the gun I'd hold the trigger to the rear threw recoil and take a new sight picture then release the trigger till it resets.

The slide would be out of battery untill I'd release the trigger, then it would jump into battery as soon as I let the trigger reset.

I don't know if this new info will help or not, this was only with the Lone wolf barrel , Jim

JimBow
11-20-2011, 20:27
Also the fail to go into battery was all factory ammo , Rem, Win silver tip, doubble tap, and underwood 180 gr. all gave issues. Only very light Prv ammo ( 40 cal in power ) would work.

ModGlock17
11-20-2011, 20:55
Regarding out-of-battery issue, it may be the triangular tab on the trigger bar, the one that pushes the firing pin safety plugger. It can push up too hard into the slide (when you hold trigger in) acting like a brake on the slide's movement.

Did you, or someone, ever modify the trigger?

A quick bandage fix would be to polish up the pointy ridge of the tab.

JimBow
11-21-2011, 16:11
The trigger bar is orginal, the disconnector is a 3.5 lb ghost trigger that I had installed.

post-apocalyptic
11-22-2011, 23:43
I think the title of this thread is misleading. It should read "more LWD barrel problems". :eyebrow:

How's she fire with the stock barrel?

JimBow
11-24-2011, 22:25
I think the title of this thread is misleading. It should read "more LWD barrel problems". :eyebrow:

How's she fire with the stock barrel?

I think your right, never had a hiccup with any ammo with stock barrel.

Opie 1 Kenopie
11-24-2011, 22:34
Go stock. Almost every Glock malf I've ever seen is due to aftermarket crap in your gun. I once heard the guy behind the counter at LGS pitching titanium firing pins because they flew much faster and reduced lock time. Seriously? If lock time is your only concern, you've got it made.

Those same firing pins and aftermarket parts have always ended up bent, chipped or out of spec.. Save the ornaments for the tree and leave Glocks as they were designed. With the exception of the factory sights. I'm pretty sure they're made out of black candle wax.

PrecisionRifleman
11-24-2011, 23:13
Also the fail to go into battery was all factory ammo , Rem, Win silver tip, doubble tap, and underwood 180 gr. all gave issues. Only very light Prv ammo ( 40 cal in power ) would work.

I have the same barrel, and I've had no problems with the limited stock ammo I have tried (Win Silver Tips 175gr & BVAC 180 JHP). I did have some issues with reloads at max OAL, but shortening the OAL corrected the problem. I'd recommend giving LWD a call to take a look at the barrel.

glock20c10mm
11-25-2011, 03:27
Just another ?coincidence? telling me to go Storm Lake as opposed to LWD. I know, money is tight (exactly why I don't have any aftermarket barrel yet). But this LWD stuff has gotten out of hand IMO. I'm not going to be the next statistic, that's for sure. But I've no doubt we're going to see plenty more negative LWD experiences, as so far the end isn't in sight. Like you said, the stock barrel works fine...and I don't see other aftermarket barrels causing so much grief with so many people like with these LWD barrels. Some have mentioned about a weak slide lock/release spring. Well if that's the case why doesn't it happen with the stock barrel? I'm not buying the difference between 4.6" and 6". If that were the case we'ld all know 6" barrels overall, mess stuff up, and they don't. I had an aftermarket barrel with the G20C I used to have and it never messed anything up from mouse fart 10mm loads through to Double Tap fodder. Definitely an aftermarket barrel out there calling my G29's name, and it won't have anything to do with LWD when I'm finally able to get around to picking one up.

glock20hunter
11-25-2011, 07:32
This seems to be a fairly common theme with after market barrels.The Glock 6" hunter barrel is the only one I am considering now. Glocks are known to eat any ammo and that has a lot to do with chamber design.

Taterhead
11-25-2011, 08:44
Go stock. Almost every Glock malf I've ever seen is due to aftermarket crap in your gun. I once heard the guy behind the counter at LGS pitching titanium firing pins because they flew much faster and reduced lock time. Seriously? If lock time is your only concern, you've got it made.

Those same firing pins and aftermarket parts have always ended up bent, chipped or out of spec.. Save the ornaments for the tree and leave Glocks as they were designed. With the exception of the factory sights. I'm pretty sure they're made out of black candle wax.

I agree. Before too long someone is going to jump in and remind us about lack of chamber support. But I am of the opinion that, in an autoloader, if it is too hot to shoot in a stock barrel I wouldn't shoot it in an aftermarket barrel either. And no, I am not relegated to shooting "short and week" loads either. What I am not going to do is take a max charge of 800-X, stuff an extra 2+ grains of powder, and think I have some level of safety due to a "fully supported chamber."

My goal is to have a setup that sends a high performance load downrange when I need it. The risk assessment boils down to this for me:

Do I think it is a greater risk that I will experience failures by tinkering with aftermarket parts, vs. having a blowout due to lack of chamber support? My own eyes have seen Glocks fail over and over again with fully-supported barrels and other modifications. The failures I have had have come with an am spring. Period.

The following loads do not cause excessive bulging or any case smiles in my G20:

135 gr Noslers @ 1700 fps
200gr @1205 fps
180 @ 1335fps

So what am I gaining by going aftermarket? Brass life? I get nine loads on average. Fine by me. Marginally better accuracy? This is a concern in a combat pistol? My G20 accurately. gobbles anything that I feed it. How do I improve on that?

mtn_hunter
11-25-2011, 09:53
The following loads do not cause excessive bulging or any case smiles.

135 gr Noslers @ 1700 fps
200gr @1205 fps
180 @ 1335fps

This is not universally true. The 180 gr. at 1330 fps load in my stock barrel causes light smiles. I have read it does for others as well, for loads in that range.

Taterhead
11-25-2011, 10:11
This is not universally true. The 180 gr. at 1330 fps load in my stock barrel causes light smiles. I have read it does for others as well, for loads in that range.

True. Thanks for pointing that out. I wasn't clear in my post that I was referring to my pisto. I edited my remarks for clarification. Different setups run differently sometimes.

mtn_hunter
11-25-2011, 10:48
It is odd that happens, one would think the barrel tolerances wouldn't be that different. I guess brass can make difference as well, I use Starline. While working up loads to make sure they run in a stock barrel I wind up having to toss lots of brass and other don't. That is frustrating.

Taterhead
11-25-2011, 11:08
It is odd that happens, one would think the barrel tolerances wouldn't be that different. I guess brass can make difference as well, I use Starline. While working up loads to make sure they run in a stock barrel I wind up having to toss lots of brass and other don't. That is frustrating.

It is weird. But that is why I am disciplined about working up loads when anything changes. That being said, there has only been one instance where I have seen smiles in my Gen 3 G20. That was with a load of 180 XTP over 800-X. The weird thing is that it was a good amount less than Hornady's max. Otherwise, no problems.

MarineHawk
11-26-2011, 16:00
For what it's worth I just got my 6" KKM barrel today. I am still waiting on a C-More STS sight and a 4.6" KKM barrel. I broke the new barrel in today with the aftermarket 22lb tungsten spring.

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i305/MarineHawk/HK/PB250038.jpg

Here it is in the Serpa holster:

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i305/MarineHawk/HK/PB250044.jpg

I shot a little more than two boxes through it today: one box of the BB 200gr FMJ FN rounds; one box of the BB 180gr HPs; and a few DT 200gr HCs. I had no failures to fire and was getting 3" groups with all at 50-ft offhand. I didn't have timie to try it from a rest, and I was at a public range, so I could not chrono them yet. You can easily tell that the 180gr BB loads clearly are the hottest, though they are not uncomfortable to shoot rapidly. I fired the rounds from a full magazine to make sure they work that way, and they did. I assume I'm getting about 1,400 fps out of the long barrel (maybe 800 ft-lbs) based on what others are saying and this: http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/10mm.html<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

I think I'm taking the 180gr BB HPs black bear and deer hunting this week. Though maybe the 200gr FMJ or HC lighter loads might be better. But I'm also bringing the .340 Wby Accumark, so it's probably going to get the leading role if I see something shootable more than 25 yards away.