Lee Turret System [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Lee Turret System

zebramochaman
11-20-2011, 18:43
OK. I have read the stickies and I am prepared to proceed into the realm of reloading.
From what I have been able to glean, the most dangerous part of the process is in handling primers. For this reason and others I am tending toward getting a Lee Turret press with the safe primer system.
Do any of you have personal experiences in using this system? Is it really safer and are you able to produce reasonable quantities of ammo with it in a short period of time?

Colorado4Wheel
11-20-2011, 18:58
I wouldn't buy a press for the primer system. Primer explosions are very rare. On any tube type of setup the explosion is directed up and away from the user. One guy had a random explosion while loading his machine. Jury is mixed on why it happened. It's such a rare thing I wouldn't give it a second thought. Your more likely to get attacked by a pack of coyotes. So buy the press that meets your needs not some press that makes you feel safer from some un-realistic risk.

uzimon
11-20-2011, 19:04
i had the hand primer and would prime all my cases while watching the tube. just point away from face/bystanders

ChrisJn
11-20-2011, 19:37
OK. I have read the stickies and I am prepared to proceed into the realm of reloading.
From what I have been able to glean, the most dangerous part of the process is in handling primers. For this reason and others I am tending toward getting a Lee Turret press with the safe primer system.
Do any of you have personal experiences in using this system? Is it really safer and are you able to produce reasonable quantities of ammo with it in a short period of time?

To answer your questions:
1. Yes.
2. No safer than any other system.
3. Yes.

RustyFN
11-20-2011, 20:42
From what I have been able to glean, the most dangerous part of the process is in handling primers.

Not in my opinion. The part that can end up being the most dangerous if you don't pay attention is the powder charge.

For this reason and others I am tending toward getting a Lee Turret press with the safe primer system.

Like Steve said don't buy a press for the primer system, buy what meets your needs.

Do any of you have personal experiences in using this system?

I have been loading on a classic turret press five years. The safety prime works very well.

are you able to produce reasonable quantities of ammo with it in a short period of time?

I like to reload at a relaxed pace and can load 500 rounds in three hours. I know many people the load 200 rounds per hour on the classic turret and a few that load around 250 per hour.

jeffreybehr
11-21-2011, 12:38
...the most dangerous part of the process is in handling primers.

Perhaps theoretically it is, but I've been reloading for more than 40 years and have yet to unintentionally pop a primer. I use a Lee Classic turret press, LOVE it, and handle primers manually.

The most-dangerous aspect of reloading ammo is failing to pay attention. You must be careful about and pay attention to EVERYTHING you do. If you don't, you'll be a menace to yourself and others around you.

My primary suggestion--NEVER choose a powder and charge that fills the case less than half full.* If you do choose that (probably inexpensive) powder charge, you can double-charge a case, and I'll let you think seriously about what happens to a handgun when you pull the trigger on that charge. If you choose a powder charge that fills the case to, say, 5/8 or 3/4 of its capacity, if you inadvertantly try to double-charge a case, the powder spills out of the case and you know something's wrong.

* And yes, I know millions of youz guyz have been doing that for decades, but that doesn't mean it's a smart thing to do.

sig357fan
11-21-2011, 18:31
I have a LCT and have used the press mounted Safty Prime and it does work well, but I still prefer the Auto Prime (hand-held primer) just because I am able to inspect the brass before and after priming.

yes, yes, I'm old and set in my ways but I'm not as old a Jack and Bob.....at least according to Wisk T.:tongueout:

sig357fan

RustyFN
11-21-2011, 21:13
I'm not as old a Jack

Nobody is that old. :whistling: