What's the California state law re internet publication of Officer info? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : What's the California state law re internet publication of Officer info?

MB-G26
11-21-2011, 03:05
For example, someone in shoes similar to "University of California, Davis Police Lt. John Pike" (from online news article re Occupy UC, Davis) - IIUC a University police force Lt., whose personal information (name, address, extensive other personal info) has been "published" on a "Facebook page" by, ostensibly or at least attributed to, members of the "Occupy (Univ Cali, Davis) " group?

IIRC, Az, just for example, has a statute forbidding the publication, and inclusion in certain public records, of LEOs. Whether it applies to University campus police officers, I don't know.

IF California has similar statutes, do they apply to non-municipal LEOs?

It's been a while since I read the FB "TOS" - but I'd bet there's a violation or two to be had via that user requirement/restriction document.

Any federal protections against publication of municipal/non-municipal LEOs information, i.e., name, address, property ownership, vehicle identification, phone numbers, whatever else?

That Occupy stuff, across the board and across the country, is just plain crappy stuff.

CGMK
11-21-2011, 04:19
CA government code 3303 applies to the department not releasing the officer's info or booking photograph if he or she is being investigated. I don't remember any peace officer protections about an individual making information public...unless it is a convicted sex offender that is beaten or harassed as a result of the information released.

L-1
11-21-2011, 22:29
California Government Code

2654.21 - (a) No state or local agency shall post the home address or telephone number of any elected or appointed official on the Internet without first obtaining the written permission of that individual.
(b) No person shall knowingly post the home address or telephone number of any elected or appointed official, or of the official's residing spouse or child on the Internet knowing that person is an elected or appointed official and intending to cause imminent great bodily harm that is likely to occur or threatening to cause imminent great bodily harm to that individual. A violation of this subdivision is a misdemeanor. A violation of this subdivision that leads to the bodily injury of the official, or his or her residing spouse or child, is a misdemeanor or a felony.

lawman800
11-24-2011, 03:07
Officer's information is subject to the same rules of disclosure as everyone else under the California Public Records Act (CPRA) in that you can find out the officer's:

Name
Rank
Pay
Date of Hire

But you cannot find out sensitive or personally identifying information (PII) such as:

Date of Birth
Home Address
Personal Phone Numbers (Home or Cell)
Social Security #