New 29 owner has some questions [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : New 29 owner has some questions

stevus
11-21-2011, 08:30
This is my first glock . Picked it up used with very minimal use .Came with 3 10 rd mags( 1 stock 1 with a pinkie ext 1 with 2 rd extension) and 2 15 rd mags also with a CT laser and night sights for 550 . Seemed like a good deal . I have a few questions for those with experience . Is there a spacer I can get for the 15rd mags? I was told by the owner to only load 11 in the extended 10 rd mag because the last round will catch in the extension . Is this normal or is the extension a pos ? are better ones made? Is it a good idea to add a mag release extension on this model? What else should I do as far as mods? The laser is nice but it sure fattens up the grip and probably precludes using a pacmayer grip. Should I keep the laser or sell it ? Im thinkg about getting a .357 sig barrel ,are they reliable, brand recommendation? lastly a recommendation regarding self def ammo and rannge ammo would be helpful . Please forgive the multiple questions. Any and all advice greatly appreciated

arushus
11-21-2011, 11:40
This is my first glock . Picked it up used with very minimal use .Came with 3 10 rd mags( 1 stock 1 with a pinkie ext 1 with 2 rd extension) and 2 15 rd mags also with a CT laser and night sights for 550 . Seemed like a good deal . I have a few questions for those with experience . Is there a spacer I can get for the 15rd mags?
Yes, look at an X-Grip spacer, they seem to get good reviews
I was told by the owner to only load 11 in the extended 10 rd mag because the last round will catch in the extension . Is this normal or is the extension a pos ? are better ones made?
This is pretty normal, not sure what brand you have, but look at pearce or scherer brand extensions. My advice would be to just go with a +0 mag extension, wouldnt add any rounds, but you will be able to get your pinky on the grip.
Is it a good idea to add a mag release extension on this model? What else should I do as far as mods?
Yes, an extended mag release is fine, lots of people add them to their guns, including me. I bought the chrome 3 pin kit with a chrome extended mag release from rockyourglock.com and I like it, but to each his own. As far as any other mods go...Id get a good set of night sights for now (I use xs big dots), and shoot the gun stock to see what you like about it and what you dont, thats the good things about glocks, you can modify whatever you dont like about em. I have a 3.5lb ghost connector, 6lb trigger spring, and a lonewolf trigger overtravel stop in mine as far as trigger mods go. I also installed a 22lbISMI recoil spring on a stainless steel guide rod, so my brass wouldnt sling as far, and it keeps the battering of the gun down with high powered loads.
The laser is nice but it sure fattens up the grip and probably precludes using a pacmayer grip. Should I keep the laser or sell it ?
Personally, I would sell the crimson trace laser grip. If you want a laser, buy a rail mounted version. I dont like how much bigger it makes an already large 29 grip.
Im thinkg about getting a .357 sig barrel ,are they reliable, brand recommendation?
For conversion barrels, lonewolf is the cheapest, and they are good quality, kkm, stormlake and others make good barrels also, but theyre a little more expensive. For a conversion, Id go with lonewolf, but if you are looking for a 10mm barrel for added case support dont get a lonewolf...get a stormlake or kkm.
lastly a recommendation regarding self def ammo and rannge ammo would be helpful . Please forgive the multiple questions. Any and all advice greatly appreciated
You cant beat swampfoxgunworks.com for quality 10mm self defense ammo. It is real, full power ammo. And they have the chronograph videos to prove it. Everybody else lies about their velocities, they are badly inflated. Doubletap is bad about this, their velocities are inflated by an AVERAGE of 150-200fps, Ive even seen some loads that chronographed 300fps slower than what the velocity on the box said.
For range and practice ammo, underwoodammo.com is a cheap, full power 10mm round that actually meets its velocities also. I would buy my good home and self defense ammo from swampfoxgunworks.com, and nowhere else.

p.s. most of the mods and sights, etc. that I listed can be bought from swampfoxgunworks.com for a good price, with FREE SHIPPING, and if he doesnt have it on the website, just email him and he'll get it on there for you.

post-apocalyptic
11-21-2011, 12:53
...underwoodammo.com is a cheap, full power 10mm round that actually meets its velocities also. I would buy my good home and self defense ammo from swampfoxgunworks.com, and nowhere else...

To each his own and all, but you almost seem to imply that no 10mm other than Swamp Fox is suitable for serious use, and that's not the case.

15+1 165gr JHP rnds, (1400fps), from Underwood are my SD load, and I don't feel "undergunned" in the slightest. Quite the opposite.

arushus
11-21-2011, 13:37
To each his own and all, but you almost seem to imply that no 10mm other than Swamp Fox is suitable for serious use, and that's not the case.

15+1 165gr JHP rnds, (1400fps), from Underwood are my SD load, and I don't feel "undergunned" in the slightest. Quite the opposite.

I meant it to sound like a personal decision of mine, not an omnipotent statement of endorsement...doesnt really matter now anyway, there is no swampfox anymore.

arushus
11-21-2011, 13:39
Naturally out of all that AWESOME and KNOWLEDGEABLE 100% correct advice, you find one thing to get butt-hurt about, haha, what am I gonna do with you post-ap? ;)

post-apocalyptic
11-21-2011, 13:42
Naturally out of all that AWESOME and KNOWLEDGEABLE 100% correct advice, you find one thing to get butt-hurt about, haha, what am I gonna do with you post-ap? ;)

Just concede that I'm right, (here and in my future posts, naturally), and everything'll go more smoothly. :supergrin:

arushus
11-21-2011, 13:46
Just concede that I'm right, (here and in my future posts, naturally), and everything'll go more smoothly. :supergrin:
:bowdown::notworthy:
Ok, ok, I bow down before your awesome presence and firearm knowledge. It is truly humbling to be in your presence!:notworthy::bowdown:

stevus
11-21-2011, 13:48
really appreciated ..Thanks

arushus
11-21-2011, 13:51
really appreciated ..Thanks

Yup! Let me know how it goes, and feel free to ask more questions, thats what this forum is here for!

swinokur
11-21-2011, 15:43
First there is a thread running saying Mike Willard, the owner of Swampfox Ammo, passed away Nov 5.

The business is closed as Mike was a one man shop.
RIP Mike

swinokur
11-21-2011, 15:46
I use A And G spacer on my 15 round mags, Get Pearce +0 extensions for your 10 round mags

http://www.topgunsupply.com/magazine-adapters-a-g/

_The_Shadow
11-21-2011, 15:57
Here is what those spacers look like!
http://i1086.photobucket.com/albums/j441/_The_Shadow/IMG_0398.jpg

Opie 1 Kenopie
11-21-2011, 20:35
I had one of those spacers, but S-canned it since it made the grip too slippery toward the bottom. I guess I coulda stippled it, but I wasn't planning to carry it anyway. It would essentially become a snubbie G20.

I've found the protruding 15 round magazine plenty comfortable to shoot with. I carry my G29sf daily with a +2 Pearce and when I get home, I slap in the 15 rounder for night time duty. Looks sorta like a G18 with the extended mag, but I have a full load of 10mm good times when it's just laying around the bedroom.

arushus
11-21-2011, 21:18
First there is a thread running saying Mike Willard, the owner of Swampfox Ammo, passed away Nov 5.

The business is closed as Mike was a one man shop.
RIP Mike

Yes I know, it was about a half an hour after I wrote this that I heard the bad news...