Loading round into open bolt [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Loading round into open bolt

HDRider2002
11-21-2011, 10:37
This is perhaps a terribly noob question, but none the less, here it is. The range i shoot at most often, allows only 1 round in the magazine at a time. So, instead of dropping the mag, loading the round, seating the mag, and releasing the bolt, can i simply drop the next round into the open bolt, and let the bolt slide it into the chamber as normal when the bolt is released? Its not like its THAT much work to load the mag one at a time, but i was just curious. Thanks for the input guys.

WoodenPlank
11-21-2011, 10:40
This is perhaps a terribly noob question, but none the less, here it is. The range i shoot at most often, allows only 1 round in the magazine at a time. So, instead of dropping the mag, loading the round, seating the mag, and releasing the bolt, can i simply drop the next round into the open bolt, and let the bolt slide it into the chamber as normal when the bolt is released? Its not like its THAT much work to load the mag one at a time, but i was just curious. Thanks for the input guys.

Yep, shouldn't be a problem. I've done the same thing shooting rifle matches on slow fire stages.

RYNOCG201
11-21-2011, 14:13
Man and I've complained about my range only allowing 8 in the mag at a time

RYNOC

Matthew Courtney
11-21-2011, 14:25
Loading your mags with 1 round each and practicing reloads along with marksmanship would be more beneficial if you want to improve in every aspect of rifle shooting. Unless you anticipate loading through the ejection port outside of that range environment, why practice doing it that way?

WoodenPlank
11-21-2011, 14:35
Man and I've complained about my range only allowing 8 in the mag at a time

RYNOC

Makes me appreciate how crappy my local range is. They allow NFA items, FA, and as much ammo as you can cram in your mag. We had an M2HB out this past spring with 600 rounds of API. :rofl:

Glockdude1
11-21-2011, 14:39
Makes me appreciate how crappy my local range is. They allow NFA items, FA, and as much ammo as you can cram in your mag. We had an M2HB out this past spring with 600 rounds of API. :rofl:

:agree:

My range to is the same way!! (except the crap part, I love my range!!)

:cool:

MrMurphy
11-21-2011, 15:10
Find a new range.

ken grant
11-21-2011, 15:24
I think it would be a good way to have a SLAM-FIRE.
The firing pin will mark the primer when the cart. is feed from the magazine.
I just wonder what it will do with nothing to retard the bolt speed.

ancient_serpent
11-21-2011, 15:28
OP: What state are you shooting in? Is a different range an option?

WoodenPlank
11-21-2011, 15:44
I think it would be a good way to have a SLAM-FIRE.
The firing pin will mark the primer when the cart. is feed from the magazine.
I just wonder what it will do with nothing to retard the bolt speed.

The firing pin itself doesn't have enough mass to do it. However, if debris, crud, etc has somehow jammed the firing pin forward, you could certainly get one. That wouldn't be changed by feeding from a magazine like normal, though.

Patrick R
11-21-2011, 17:28
Yes you can put 1 round in your chamber at a time safely.

I shoot CMP & Bench rest all the time, 1 round in the chamber at a time. Never had or saw a slam fire. Not 1.

CMP matches do this across the country.

For Bench rest I load longer then the mags will hold so must be loaded 1 at a time.

txgunguy
11-21-2011, 22:51
1 round in your magazine at a time? How could you practice any type of self defense?

racer88
11-21-2011, 23:06
I've got one of these for my medium range "sniper" AR-15. Works very nicely and makes loading one round at a time very easy and smooth.

http://media.midwayusa.com/productimages/medium/967/967912.jpg

Product description:
http://media.midwayusa.com/productpage/vendorlogos/2327.jpg
To get the most performance and highest ballistic coefficient possible out of the .223 Remington cartridge, long range competitive shooters often handload ammunition with the longest, heaviest VLD (very low drag) projectiles available. The result is often a loaded round of ammunition that is too long to fit the envelope of the AR-15 magazine.

The Bob Sled fixes this problem by locking into an AR15 magazine well like a standard magazine, and providing a shallow trough onto which an extra long cartridge can be placed and held in perfect alignment with the chamber for smooth loading. The Bob Sled incorporates a plunger which locks the AR-15's bolt open after each shot, allowing the process to be repeated. Constructed of Delrin for durability, the Bob Sled is sized to match the profile of a regular 10- or 20-round magazine, and is also available for the AR-10.
Available at Midway (and others I'm sure): http://www.midwayusa.com/product/967912/original-bob-sled-loading-block-ar-15-10-round-length

HDRider2002
11-22-2011, 09:21
I suppose a new range is possible, but its certainly the closest, other than indoor ranges with max of 50yards. honestly, depending on who the RO is on any given day, i can get away with loading more, assuming a deliberate pace of fire.

Most of what i'm referring to is bench rest type shooting, so i don't feel compelled to practice tactical reloads in that position. I generally practice those types of self-defense reloads when shooting closer distances, from a standing position, etc.

I appreciate the info guys!

whitebread
11-22-2011, 13:01
I can't believe any one shoots at a range where you can only load one round at a time. That is just insane!

CarryTexas
11-22-2011, 15:31
I can't believe any one shoots at a range where you can only load one round at a time. That is just insane!

Agreed...

Absolutley stupid... Makes no sense....

Louisville Glocker
11-22-2011, 23:31
Having only one round "allowed" in a magazine would cause me to move along to a new range. I mean, doesn't that completely defeat the purpose of a magazine in the first place?''

I'll be shooting in a state park range tomorrow. Few rules, other than the normal common sense ones. Oh yeah, and the price is right, free.

dc2integra
11-25-2011, 01:43
I say get the hell out of that range.And this is someone from california telling you this :cool:.One round c'mon.