Putting Down Injured Deer [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Putting Down Injured Deer

Indiana Camper
11-21-2011, 12:47
I'd like to see what you all think would be the quickest way to put down an injured deer. What ammo? Where to shoot it...head, heard/lungs, etc.? With my job I find myself more often than I'd like having to put down suffering deer. I think I'm going to start using my G29 instead of .40 cal.

Thanks

arushus
11-21-2011, 12:48
Head with some sort of fmj or hardcast gets my vote...probably wont matter much tho if youre hitting them in the head..

TreyG-20
11-21-2011, 12:49
I used a .22 lr. I only had to do it once but one shot to the head and it was done really fast.

Kegs
11-21-2011, 14:32
The last time I did this was about 20 years ago: Knife under the throat works just fine.

.40 or .22 will also work, just a lot louder. Head shots are lethal. The extra 200 fps you're gonna get from a hot 10 load vs. a .40 will not matter from point blank range.

_The_Shadow
11-21-2011, 14:54
I'd use whatever I had at hand, It is the humane thing to do if neceassary!

Indiana Camper
11-21-2011, 14:56
Well it's also partly an excuse to shoot my newest pistol. Plus I don't have to show up for work the next day with the 10mm clean. I normally take head shots but it seems like a couple times lately they haven't died as quickly as I would have liked. I don't mean to sound like a big weannie, just hate to see something lay there and suffer any longer than necessary.

nickE10mm
11-21-2011, 16:59
I suppose a headshot with a solid bullet would be best, assuming you don't get hit with a ricochet. Deer skulls are pretty hard!

G33Fla
11-21-2011, 17:05
head shot, use whatever you have...it will be over quick

twisted1
11-21-2011, 17:44
10mm to the heart or the brain is instant death!

BearMBD
11-21-2011, 17:50
I have had to kill an injured deer while in the city limits. Police officer would not let me use a 22 pistol for a clean kill. I had to sever the spine with a knife. Right at the base of the skull. Lights out quickly and hopefully no pain for the deer

Opie 1 Kenopie
11-21-2011, 20:44
I've had to put down plenty of injured deer hit on the highways. I once shot a large buck in the top of his head with five .40 caliber rounds. The damn thing kept standing back up! Bad times since the lady who hit it with her car was standing 50 yds away with her kids getting a report taken. And this was in the gun-hating San Fransisco bay area! Awk-ward!

Soon after that a game warden showed me a cool trick. She dropped a blanket (or tarp) over the injured deer's head. This makes it immediately drop to the ground, no running around. Then she drew an old .38 revolver, hardly a deer-killing round, and shot the thing just behind the ear. Instant lights out. It was amazing.

I've also used a .556 round against an injured cow and THAT worked pretty damn well. A dairyman had to bring a skip loader over to drag the carcass away with a chain though. Heavy bastards. Good "hunting"!

Indiana Camper
11-21-2011, 21:28
Yeah. Ive definitely put down my share with .40 and sometimes it's fast but other times it does take several shots. Sometimes they just really fight it. I normally do aim for the brain. Maybe i'll try some of my 200 or 230 grain DT hardcast.

janice6
11-21-2011, 21:33
You may have a case to put an injured deer down if you are a Law Officer in MN, but you others had better call the DNR Officer and get permission, before you kill a MN deer. Here that is akin to hunting and DNR doesn't like it. I'm talking shooting, other means may be ok.

Good intentions aren't enough.

arushus
11-21-2011, 21:35
If the shooting the brain isnt working, try aiming for the base of the brain where it meets the spinal cord...sever that spinal cord right there and it is lights out real quick!

furioso2112
11-21-2011, 21:51
destroying the brain stem is the key - severed spinal cord paralyzes, but quickest is brain stem obliteration - that's they part of the brain that controls heart, lungs, etc. I've seen deer dispatched in a number of ways - blades, bullets, boots, cars, arrows, traps, other animals, dogs, gas, catapults, drowning, smashed in head with a rock, blow guns, five-finger death punch, snake bites, starvation, choking, cancer, brain rot, clotheslines, suffocation, diabetes, trephining, smoke inhalation, mountain cats, horse stompings, glass window severings, stuck in a tree, hypodermic needle, drug overdose, panic, fire. There are more deer in North America than there are insects in the world.

PrecisionRifleman
11-21-2011, 22:00
I usually go for the head shot with my rifle (700LTR) , but I have put a few 45 ACP slugs in downed deer. I always went for lights out, and had no problem penetrating a skull. Both the 40 and 10mm will do the same thing at point blank range putting one in the head. My favorite sidearm in the field is without a doubt my G20 though. The flat trajectory, extended range, and excellent ballistics make a lot of sense to me.

blastfact
11-21-2011, 22:08
Are you kidding? Put the deer down with any means possible!

We had a horse hit on the hwy this week one morning. It was ripped to hell! I stopped and spoke with the animal control official on scene. He didn't have clearance to put the horse down. I went over and put it down with my lock blade. It's guts were ripped open and broken up to hell.

It was laying in a ditch off the hwy with a huge berm behind it. I could have laid it down with my PF-9 and done so safely. But I chose the blade so the idiot cops could not charge me with discharging a firearm in city limits. And the horse had been down long enough that it blood was already dried on the hwy. No cops, troopers, our county folks. Just a hen pecked dog catcher.

Put them down and do it quick by any mean possible!

Maine1
11-21-2011, 23:55
headshots. Works on everything i have put down.

BigLaw
11-22-2011, 04:44
destroying the brain stem is the key - severed spinal cord paralyzes, but quickest is brain stem obliteration - that's they part of the brain that controls heart, lungs, etc. I've seen deer dispatched in a number of ways - blades, bullets, boots, cars, arrows, traps, other animals, dogs, gas, catapults, drowning, smashed in head with a rock, blow guns, five-finger death punch, snake bites, starvation, choking, cancer, brain rot, clotheslines, suffocation, diabetes, trephining, smoke inhalation, mountain cats, horse stompings, glass window severings, stuck in a tree, hypodermic needle, drug overdose, panic, fire. There are more deer in North America than there are insects in the world.

Damn dope head deer. There have been two car killed in front of the same house this year. I'd better check it out, must be their dealer.

alwaysshootin
11-22-2011, 05:10
I used a .22 lr. I only had to do it once but one shot to the head and it was done really fast.

IMHO, only caliber choice to use!

Indiana Camper
11-22-2011, 05:42
Are you kidding? Put the deer down with any means possible!

We had a horse hit on the hwy this week one morning. It was ripped to hell! I stopped and spoke with the animal control official on scene. He didn't have clearance to put the horse down. I went over and put it down with my lock blade. It's guts were ripped open and broken up to hell.

It was laying in a ditch off the hwy with a huge berm behind it. I could have laid it down with my PF-9 and done so safely. But I chose the blade so the idiot cops could not charge me with discharging a firearm in city limits. And the horse had been down long enough that it blood was already dried on the hwy. No cops, troopers, our county folks. Just a hen pecked dog catcher.

Put them down and do it quick by any mean possible!

I don't think I asked anything about how long to wait did I? Putting down the deer is always my first priority. I worked 8yr for a busy city department and never shot an animal. I've been with my current county dept. 6yr. It is part very urban and part very rural. If I had to guess I'd say I've put down 15-20 deer, 2-3 cats, 3 dogs, and probably 15 or so raccoons. This has all been with .40 cal.
I'm simply looking for tips on doing it as quick and painless as possible.
Thanks again.

BKG-22
11-22-2011, 06:18
You may have a case to put an injured deer down if you are a Law Officer in MN, but you others had better call the DNR Officer and get permission, before you kill a MN deer. Here that is akin to hunting and DNR doesn't like it. I'm talking shooting, other means may be ok.

Good intentions aren't enough.

Same here in Michigan. Unless it is in season and you are ready to tag the animal, you have to call leo or dnr to take care of the issue. They take this stuff VERY seriously. You go from humane, responsible citizen to poacher in the pull of a trigger.

It stinks with all the car/deer hits this time of year, but it's the way it is.

PrecisionRifleman
11-22-2011, 19:23
I don't think I asked anything about how long to wait did I? Putting down the deer is always my first priority. I worked 8yr for a busy city department and never shot an animal. I've been with my current county dept. 6yr. It is part very urban and part very rural. If I had to guess I'd say I've put down 15-20 deer, 2-3 cats, 3 dogs, and probably 15 or so raccoons. This has all been with .40 cal.
I'm simply looking for tips on doing it as quick and painless as possible.
Thanks again.

Sounds you like you have more than enough experience to make the decision on your own to me...:whistling:

Indiana Camper
11-22-2011, 20:46
Umm. Yes I have put down a fair amount. Like I said, sometimes they go down quickly and sometimes they do not. I'm just looking for advice on what to do to make them all go down fast.
I have people telling me what is legal and what is not. I have people telling me not to wait and to do it any way possible. That's all fine and dandy but not what I am looking for.
For shots to the head where do you aim? Below the ear? A few times I've had them totally follow me with their head and it's hard to even get to their side.
So thanks again to all that have helped and didn't just add a smart comment.

Smokecloud
11-22-2011, 21:10
I put down about 20 deer a year on average. I used to do it with a .45 to the head. I switched 10 years ago and now use a 12ga shotgun to the head. Especially if its in a populated area like a residential neighborhood. As long as as you are able to get within 10 feet of the deer, whether by sneaking or otherwise, Low base #6 shot will completely open up a large golf ball size hole in the side of its head, generally flop its brain out next to it. The pellets will not go ricocheting off through the houses and will not overpenetrate and cause liability issues. the pellets will not go out the back side of the head, of course strays can get by it, but shooting downward, they hit the dirt and pretty much stop dead. Instant death. One shot. I wont discharge my 40 in town or neighborhoods. Some will question using bird shot on a deer, but once you see it as long as you are inside that 10-12ft range, will never question it again. I have had deer get up and run across the street with a well placed 40/45 rd to the head, almost cause another accident and further traumatize the RP still on scene. I have never, in over 150 deer, had one do more than quiver a little with a shotgun blast of birdshot to the head at close range.

edited to add: just read your last question on where to aim, I put it just behind the eyeball, their brain is terribly small, aim at the back edge of the eyeball and its over.

Indiana Camper
11-22-2011, 22:34
Interesting. I appreciate it. I'll have to check in to using a 12ga. I actually have the option of using my AR but I'd rather not mess with that.

CanyonMan
11-23-2011, 00:18
Guys, good grief..!!! These are deer not Rhino's. ha.
Anthing from a .22 cal on up will put out the deers lights at point blank with a head shot. No need for cannons, and 12 gauges and heart shots.

One good clean shot in the brain and lights out. An NAA Mini mag with a 1 5/8" barrel in 22mag works fine. ;)

Good luck !

CM

fespo276
11-23-2011, 00:40
Do it all the time. .410 slug to the head.

Indiana Camper
11-23-2011, 05:42
Guys, good grief..!!! These are deer not Rhino's. ha.
Anthing from a .22 cal on up will put out the deers lights at point blank with a head shot. No need for cannons, and 12 gauges and heart shots.

One good clean shot in the brain and lights out. An NAA Mini mag with a 1 5/8" barrel in 22mag works fine. ;)

Good luck !

CM

Ha ha! I know. I wouldn't believe this conversation if I had not witnessed it so many times myself. I think maybe they have an adrenaline dump from being hit by a car or something. I'm telling you I've had some that just will not go down.
I've seen guys shoot them once or twice and then walk away with them still moving. There's no doubt they will die but I will not leave knowing it's going to lay there and suffer for 10 or 15 min.

Jitterbug
11-23-2011, 07:18
I think it would be tough to beat Smokecloud's suggestion. Humane and safe and probably easier on your ears.

purrrfect 10
11-23-2011, 07:47
One shot to the head works every time.

Smokecloud
11-23-2011, 08:36
Sometimes its hard for civilians to understand the liability side of something like shooting in a backyard with houses all around, or when 3 sobbing crying bystandards are there watching to see if you put the deer down humanely since you refused to take it to the animal hospital. I have done .223 to the head, .22lr, .40sw, .45, and have had all of them make a kill shot, but sometimes even though the deer is dead, they kick and thrash around and put on quite a show. seconds in those situations are FOREVER. The shotgun pretty much is like a light switch. Remember, Indiana Camper has to use the tools he is authorized to carry on duty and has to write a report, he cant bring from home what he believes will work best. a deer's head is not that thick, so .223/9mm/40/45 can travel through and continue downrange. heartshots are always fatal, but rarely instantly, its embarassing to blast one in the heart, have it leap to its feet and run two blocks before it croaks.

On a kind of funny side, I tried to avoid writing a report one night for discharge of duty firearm, had a deer hit by a car on the side of the road, it was laying on the side of the road with its head resting on the fog line. No one around, so I ran over its head with both tires, darn thing got up, ran a circle and ran into the side of my vehicle, I had to get out and shoot it, wound up writing the report anyhow. Surely my 6000lb truck would have been humane, right? I knew one old cop that hated reports and cleaning his guns, he carried a hammer to work. If he could walk up to them, hed just smack them in the head, he was pretty effective with that, but its not my cup of tea.

Indiana Camper
11-23-2011, 12:25
Thanks for the stories Smokecloud. I've ended a few smaller suffering animals lives with my car but never a deer. Guess I know now not to try that one. I can use my duty G22, duty AR-15 or any off duty gun I've qualified with (G29 and a few smaller pistols). I'll have to check in to throwing my Mossberg 500 in the truck for deer. Don't know if that would fly or not but it's worth checking on.

leeward419
11-24-2011, 03:55
When hit squarely in the heart, they are dead from zero to a few seconds, I have had to do this only once, but it is better than having a bullet richochet off of hard skull. I did this with an arrow after having spined a buck ( I was really to far up in the tree about 30 ft and had one nearly right below me difficult angle and I do regret taking the shot, every deer I have killed since has been one shot kills what we strive, practice and agonize over-for bowhunting - humane one shot kills ), one shot to the heart and it was dead near instantaneoulsy. I would believe with a bullet it would have been quicker ie instantly.
I have shot them through both lungs before again with an arrow, and they have run 30 to 40 yards before dying. I have shot them through both lungs with 12 ga slug before too, at close range and had them run 5-10 yards before dropping dead too.
If you shoot them in the head/eye etc with people watching they may exposed to a fairly gruesome maimed, face missing,exploded skull sight. Ideally, Heart shot probably better, or at least, shoo the kids away first.
I love deer hunting, but seeing a deer hit by a car is always sad, and doubly so for any animal suffering
Again the decision will depend on the gun available, whether the deer is moving etc and the context on hand at the time

Jitterbug
11-24-2011, 06:32
It's too bad that we didn't have better overall hunting/game management plans in place so that this wouldn't be the issue it is. Of course it's more of an issue in some parts of the country verses others, but running into a deer, elk, moose or other big game species can have some really negative consequences for all involved.

Based on a recommendation from another forum member, I recently purchased "The Politically Incorrect Guide to Hunting". I can't exactly remember the authors name at the moment Frank M.

I'm about in the middle of it right now and would recommend it's put on the reading list of anyone who has an interest in sound wildlife management or hunting.

It's a pretty good read and from what I've read so far I'd have to say the author has done his homework.

leeward419
11-24-2011, 17:09
around here all of the farm land ( i live in a rural-suburban area) is posted and no one wants anyone on their land, which are over run with deer, the DEC gives the landowners hundreds upon hundreds of deer management permits, which allows them to shoot deer year round, and with a rifle to boot (shotgun only here). SInce the permits are being issued to the exten they are, no incentive to let anyone hunt. They simply cant kill enough to manage the area. Its frustrating to be surrounded by farmland but have to drive an hour and a half to public land that is overrun with hunters.

glock_19guy1983
11-24-2011, 18:46

I hear that Deer hate hard rock and are more into country.:tongueout:

Bullman
11-25-2011, 03:44
Earlier this year I was training a guy and we got a call of an injured deer in the road out in the county and the supervisor on thinks this will be a good training opportunity for the rook in putting down deer. We get out there and it is a little doe, not more than 70 or 80 pounds and it looks like a herd of pigs was slaughtered in the road, blood everywhere, you would have been surprised in the first place the damn thing was still alive. Deserted county road so we pull up and rook gets out his .40 caliber sidearm and does his best Me Myself and Irene impersonation and says "Greener pastures on the other side" and lets this deer have it right in the top of her head. Damn thing started trying to get up and run off, which wasn't possible at this point because of her legs. He hits her again in the head, still bleating and struggling, again, and this time knocks out some teeth but still jumping around. I finally can't stand it and I get out of the car and walk over and put three quick 40s in the lungs and this damn deer just won't die quick enough to suit us. Sounded like world war 3 out there, thank goodness this is the middle of the night and no one was around.

Now, I don't even mess around with the pistol, when I pull up on one of these it is time to break out the trombone gun because the furry brown car bender is going to get a dose of buck shot. The shotgun is the best killing device in the patrol car as far as I am concerned.

4949shooter
11-25-2011, 04:41
I had one hit on RT 80 a while back. The deer was lying upright in the center lane of the highway. I took out my backup, a G27 loaded with 155 grain Fed Hydrashocks, and approached it. The deer tried to get up but couldn't due to it's broken legs. I shot it, but it just wouldn't die quick enough, so I emptied the entire magazine into it. Once it was off the highway and I opened up the traffic lanes again, the lady who was driving one of the front cars I could see had been crying. She gave me a look like she wanted to kill me, and I think if she had a gun on her she would have.

Bullman
11-25-2011, 11:17
Some people look on them as cute little forest creatures. I hate them. The Virginia FR300 accident form has it's own block for deer wrecks. At least 60 percent of the wrecks I work are deer related, they are everywhere here, we are polluted with them.

Texas357
11-26-2011, 19:51
catapults, ... five-finger death punch, ... drug overdose,...
OK, you gotta tell some stories.
There are more deer in North America than there are insects in the

It probably just seems that way. But when you consider each deer probably has at least several insects on it.