model 29 guide rod protruding ? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : model 29 guide rod protruding ?

stevus
11-21-2011, 17:38
Newbie here with my first glock (29) . Took it apart and cleaned it . When I put it back together I noticed that the guide rod now protrudes from the slide almost as far as the barrel . Is this normal . I could have sworn it was flush to the slide . probably did something stupid .

arushus
11-21-2011, 17:54
That sounds right, the little nub on the end, that keeps the spring will protrude slightly, you shouldnt see any of the spring or rod though. Just to be positive though, take it apart and make sure the other end of it is sitting in the right slot, it should be in a crescent shaped slot on the front of the barrel lug.

stevus
11-21-2011, 18:12
It seems to be sticking out enough that I can just see the guide rod a bit . I took it apart and put it back together a few times and every time its the same . I did turn the rod and spring a bit when i cleaned it . Is the length of the guide rod/spring assembly adjustable ? maybe i lengthened it by turning it?

Taterhead
11-21-2011, 18:38
Can you remove the slide and post a photo of the slide and spring installed?

arushus
11-21-2011, 18:49
It seems to be sticking out enough that I can just see the guide rod a bit . I took it apart and put it back together a few times and every time its the same . I did turn the rod and spring a bit when i cleaned it . Is the length of the guide rod/spring assembly adjustable ? maybe i lengthened it by turning it?

no it isnt adjustable, if it is somehow getting longer then it is a faulty part.

abcomputin
11-22-2011, 09:56
Check out this pic, if yours looks like this one, I'd say you're fine:

http://www.teamglock.com/products/model/g29

_The_Shadow
11-22-2011, 10:26
Did you rack the slide and see if things improve, The rod may not have seated into the proper spot.

stevus
11-23-2011, 14:03
Thanks everyone .It does look like the pic and I went to the range today and it shot perfectly

NavyMSU
11-23-2011, 14:25
That sounds right, the little nub on the end, that keeps the spring will protrude slightly, you shouldnt see any of the spring or rod though. Just to be positive though, take it apart and make sure the other end of it is sitting in the right slot, it should be in a crescent shaped slot on the front of the barrel lug.

Definitely in the crescent slot! First time I took apart my G30, I didn't replace it correctly and when putting it back together I somehow chipped the plastic end of the rod that's exposed near the muzzle.

I bought it used, so it's possible the RSA was worn anyways, so I bought a stock replacement and I'm happy.

arushus
11-23-2011, 15:45
Definitely in the crescent slot! First time I took apart my G30, I didn't replace it correctly and when putting it back together I somehow chipped the plastic end of the rod that's exposed near the muzzle.

I bought it used, so it's possible the RSA was worn anyways, so I bought a stock replacement and I'm happy.

We've all been there in some form or fashion, we were all new to guns/glocks at some point in our lives...